(Topic ID: 129502)

How many pins fit in a 9ft Uhaul Van

By the96stang

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 9.32.29 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 9.32.14 AM (resized).png
    IMG_20160601_122149074_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20160601_122145390_HDR (resized).jpg
    20150514_085035.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I am looking to rent a pinball hauler for a show. I think I am going to go with a 9ft Uhaul Van. I am bringing mostly System 11s, but may also bring a few games where the heads come off. How many games could I fit?

#2 8 years ago

it depends on if you can go 3 across. I was able to fit 18 pins in a 26' truck going 3 across and on end. Each pin averages 3 x 2.5 so you need about 8' width to do it. you are looking at 6 or 9 is my guess.

Loading these into a van will be difficult as you wont be able to stand up to do it. A short u-haul would be easier to load.

3 weeks later
    #3 8 years ago

how did you manage them when they were in the trucks? I assume they are all standing up. We are looking at moving like 12 machines nearby for a tournament.

Usual head folded with cardboard between back glass with plastic wrap around.
    Do you need protection under the machine when it stands up? Space between each machine for avoiding bumping into each other and individual harness to the truck side rails to avoid movement while driving?

#4 8 years ago

Use a moving blanket between the cab and head. When the head is folded down fold the remainder over the back of the head and strap or wrap down. This provides the cushion between the pins.

Strap across each row to keep it from sliding.

If the plastic feet are on the back of the cab you don't need anything on the bottom. If the cord will not recess all the way pull it up and hold it tight in the strap. This way it wont get dropped on or dragged and will be held out of the way.

#5 8 years ago

thank you that's helpful!
    So if there is a strap only between each rows, what does stop the pins moving side by side? even if we align 3 per rows I assume there is some space in between each of them?
    Some of the WPC only have the wood bar at the back of the cabinet and I wouldn't want to damage the paint of these so maybe some kind of textile blanket underneath? Would make it slippery though... or maybe plastic wrap?

#6 8 years ago

The row strap prevents the outer pins from leaning outward. The row strap is not straight across. It goes from slightly before the row of pins and holds the pins toward the center and forward as well. The heads on the pins in the row are very close together and wrapped with blankets. If you are concerned about movement place a folded blanket between them. Additionally you can place the pin on a blanket as well but this will encourage movement.

You need to do whatever makes you comfortable.

#7 8 years ago

thanks, I am just trying to see how to plan it and get what I need before the day comes.
    most of these games will be on loan so we really need to avoid any kind of damages. getting blanket around each heads and stacking them up close to each others seems like a good plan to avoid them moving. I am a bit worries about scratch from the truck floor but if I put a blanket under those most "surrounded" in the corners (higher value machines) then it should reduce movement.

I was going to buy a few sets of 15' straps, would that work?

No chance you have any pictures showing your setup?

#8 8 years ago

I understand your reluctance but ultimately the owner of the machine should wrap their machine up to their liking. Your job it to put it on a truck with other pins. If a guy handed me a pristine pin with no protection and told me not to scratch it I would tell him to haul it himself. There is no way the machine can have a pristine back (bottom when on end) if it doesn't have the factory sliders unless it was redone and the owner never put the protectors back on. Once again how are you supposed to protect this? I can't warp each machine in bubblewrap and styrofoam!

Here's a pic of the loaded truck: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-unofficial-2015-pin-a-go-go-thread/page/19#post-2448212

There's a TZ, BoP 2.0, Pristine JD, CCC in there. It would be very difficult for the bodies to touch each other as the head would touch first and the heads are wrapped!

You'll need a strap or wrap for each machine for the folding process. Then a strap and clips (for the side of the truck) for each 3 machines.

#9 8 years ago

I did a 6x12 utility trailer earlier this year. Fit 5 System 11 games perfectly and got to keep the legs on so was much simpler operation.
    20150514_085035.jpg20150514_085035.jpg

#10 8 years ago

whoa that looks great, I think we would definitely want to do that. Using a 26' and have room to go up to 18 would be great in one trip would be great.
    I am thinking I may be able to wrap some of the extra moving blanket underneath after going around the head else maybe some extra blanket. I was planning the following material:
    -12pc Moving Blankets Bundle 72x80" Econo Professional Quilte Moving Pads packing
    -Textile Moving Blankets (12 Pack) 54x72" Light Weight Professional Skin / Pad 2.
    -2x Pratt Plus ST.I-15V.20 Polyethylene Standard Bundling Cast Stretch Wrap, 2000' Length x 15" Width x 8.1 microns Thick, Clear
    -12x Everest S1043 Yellow 1" x 15' Standard Ratchet Tie Down
    -Milwaukee Hand Truck D-Handle Truck with 10" Tires (would be easier than my HF hydraulic lift table for vertical moving)

I am thinking I may need more moving blankets now, at least one per pin, those aren't cheap :S

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

I am looking to rent a pinball hauler for a show. I think I am going to go with a 9ft Uhaul Van. I am bringing mostly System 11s, but may also bring a few games where the heads come off. How many games could I fit?

Three machines

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinballholder:

I did a 6x12 utility trailer earlier this year. Fit 5 System 11 games perfectly and got to keep the legs on so was much simpler operation.
    20150514_085035.jpg

That's risky biz on the east coast with 3-5" of rain expected tonight

7 years later
    #13 1 year ago

I am wanting to rent a 9' Van (not a trailer as depicted here).
    Would this Van fit 2 widebodys on their butts or else?

https://www.uhaul.com/Truck-Rentals/Cargo-Van/

I am looking for first hand experience ideally thank you in advance.

#14 1 year ago

I fit four WPC's in one of those vans. Two widebodies (Demo Man and Popeye) and two regular (WCS 94 and Addams).

IMG_20160601_122145390_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20160601_122145390_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20160601_122149074_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20160601_122149074_HDR (resized).jpg
    #15 1 year ago
    Quoted from loneranger:

I fit four WPC's in one of those vans. Two widebodies (Demo Man and Popeye) and two regular (WCS 94 and Addams).
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Is this the regular height van or the one that is taller?
    Seems like the taller one in your pics.

I am concerned they cant travel on their butts like in your pic on a regular height van

#16 1 year ago

It was a regular height van.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from loneranger:

It was a regular height van.

Oh really? The photo made it look really tall

#18 1 year ago

I think I am confusing you guys with this... Could this be that the pictures posted earlier are of a Medium Cargo Van?
    I have used this before and it does look more like the pics posted earlier, however, the small cargo van is only about 50 inches tall inside, which is barely the height of a pin.

Or am I confused here?

The haul Van I think would be considered a small cargo van I think.

I am using the home depot van as comparison, the red one is Small the white is Medium.

Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 9.32.14 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-02 at 9.32.14 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-02 at 9.32.29 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-02 at 9.32.29 AM (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-pins-fit-in-a-9ft-uhaul-van and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.