7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by SUPERBEE
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

So Home Depot near me offers generator rentals. They have 3000 and 6500 watt Honda generators. (http://www.homedepot.com/c/generator_equipment_rental)

Would this be appropriate for a backyard pinball party? And how many machines could I run off of one of these?

I've had issues in the past having all my games running at the same time off the house power- thought maybe renting a generator for the backyard could be a good solution to have a few extra machines to play. Anybody ever done this?

(And, if I keep it going 6+ hours- how bad are my neighbors going to hate me from the noise?)

Thanks so much!
    dan

#2 7 years ago

Problem is the voltage regulation the putt-putt generators have may cause issues with your games. Just something to think about.

Anyways figure 250-300W per game, do the math, and you have your answer.

#3 7 years ago

Just get yourself some golf cart batteries and a true sine wave inverter. Honda makes some very nice, quiet generators. The Honda EU2000i probably could run at least 5 if not more.

#4 7 years ago

It all depends on how "clean" the power is.

An EM might not care, but the Hobbit's computer would.

Some generators are inverter type and usually say "computer friendly" on the sticker.

-

I'd just have an electrician install a few extra 20A circuits on the back of the house/garage.

For the price of a single rental, you could have permanent clean power for your parties.

Each 20A circuit can run 6 games.

#5 7 years ago

Glad I asked- never even heard of 'clean power' before today. On the same page, they also rent a quiet, Honda 2000i which is specifically an inverter model for electronics. Sounds like the answer.

Can fit 4 pins across in a 10' pop up party tent- 2000 watts seems like more than enough power.

Thanks!

#6 7 years ago

You're gonna get 16.67 amps or about the same as a 15amp single pole breaker. Should be enough.

#7 7 years ago

I have the 1000i it is more of a loud hum and you can stand next to it and carry on a normal conversation. Should'nt be a problem for the neighbors.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from dcerny:

Can fit 4 pins across in a 10' pop up party tent

Measure the width of the backboxes and add an inch of buffer space between them. At least two inches if you have system 1 games where the backglass swings on a door, rather than lifts out.

Backboxes are generally about 27" wide.

So, if you assume 27" x 4 games + 3" of buffer = 111" = 9' 3", leaving about 9" to spare.

Are you going to have 3 walls of the tent covered to help protect against sunlight and rain?

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from smokey_789:

I have the 1000i it is more of a loud hum and you can stand next to it and carry on a normal conversation. Should'nt be a problem for the neighbors.

I have the same 1000i Honda. Works great, have taken pins on many camping trips & never an issue.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

have taken pins on many camping trips & never an issue

Now that pinball dedication !!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-pins-can-a-generator-power and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.