(Topic ID: 124290)

How many pinball machines powered by a single outlet?

By Pinbawlah

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Hi all,

I have a possibly goofy question: how many pinball machines do you power on a single, standard two-socket outlet, including using a surge protector?

I currently only own one machine but plan to get more in the future. The thing is that the future pinball wall (pinwall?) behind the future pins has only one outlet—I currently plugged in my pinball machine and virtual pinball (PC, 3 lcd monitors and speaker system to power) into a four-socket surge protector. I could probably fit 5-6 machines in front of the wall. I can run an extension cord or longer surge protector into another outlet but I'm just curious on how many pins have others safely powered in one.

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

Is the outlet on a 15 or 20 Amp circuit? Verify by looking at the rating of the circuit breaker (or fuse) in your homes' power control box that controls the outlet you are questioning.

#3 9 years ago

You have probably heard that commercial arcades put 6 pinball machines on each 20A circuit.

How did they come up with that formula?

The National Electric Code wants circuit breakers to see 80% of their rated load. So for a 20A breaker, the ideal number is 16 amps.

Most pinball machines draw about 1.6 to 2 amps peak.

Some pinball machines with a ton of lamps may even draw 2.4 amps.

If you take any random 6 pinball machines at at arcade and measure their amperage draw at the breaker panel, you see that each breaker is seeing ~13 amps. Well under our 16 amp goal.

In your home, where you don't have to worry about employees moving games around and messing up your breaker loads, if you measured a 13 amp draw on a circuit, you could safely add one additional game and still be under your 16 amp target.

#4 9 years ago

The only exception is TZ. It seems this beast needs his own plug lol

#5 9 years ago

I have 6 per every 15 amp breaker and have had no problems

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from Capper96:

The only exception is TZ. It seems this beast needs his own plug lol

TZ was good when it was new, but it's overstressed power supply has not aged all that well.

#7 9 years ago

Thanks so much for the info. The outlet is on a 20 amp circuit.

#8 9 years ago

I had to put TZ on its own dedicated circuit. Pulled. Another one as well to take a bunch of games off the existing load.

4 years later
    #9 4 years ago

So if I’m reading this correctly the answer is more saying 6 machines per circuit not an outlet. In my basement I have a line in one room I want to junction and add an outlet that I’m dedicating 4 pins to, however in the other room I found that the breaker is also for the outlet 2 other pins are on. So this being the case I shouldn’t see the pins playing weak if all are on or tripped breakers?

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

So if I’m reading this correctly the answer is more saying 6 machines per circuit not an outlet. In my basement I have a line in one room I want to junction and add an outlet that I’m dedicating 4 pins to, however in the other room I found that the breaker is also for the outlet 2 other pins are on. So this being the case I shouldn’t see the pins playing weak if all are on or tripped breakers?

That's the consensus is no more than 6 per 20A circuit, which assumes an 80% max load at ~2.5A per machine. Yours might be different depending on your machines. I've seen spikes of up to 5.5A on WoZ, but that appears to be an exception to the norm. You'll want to make sure that isn't a 15A circuit for some dumb reason. Being outlets, it shouldn't be, but you never know.

I posted this the other day that might help:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/current-amp-draw-from-pinball-machine#post-5151645

#11 4 years ago

My set-up on 1 wall:
    7 WMS games and an LED controller on 3 outlets, on a dedicated 20 amp line:
    FT, HS II and an LED controller - outlet 1
    Flintstones and WW - outlet 2
    F-14 and Diner - outlet 3
    Rollergames - also on outlet 3 but temporary and just hand-connected when F-14 not in-play.
    Has worked out fine.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-pinball-machines-powered-by-a-single-outlet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.