(Topic ID: 196283)

How many Pinball Machines can you plug into 1 outlet?

By Da-Shaker

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Arcade
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

screenshot_121712_213_pm (resized).jpeg
    #1 6 years ago

Quick question,
    I have a wall that can fit 5 pinball machines, but only one outlet. Can I safely add an external surge protector with 5 outlets into 1 socket and run all 5 machines off it?

#2 6 years ago

Depends is it a 20amp or 15 amp

dmd games normally is 3 for 15 amp 4 for 20 amp

Older games normally 4-5 for 15 amp , 6-7 for 20 amp

#3 6 years ago

Thank you, It's 20 amp. Now I'm placing 3 new machines and 2 old (80's) machines. Someday maybe all new machines.

#4 6 years ago

I keep it to 5 per 20 amp and haven't blown a breaker yet. Mostly LED games and all eras. And that's with them all being played at once too and some having magnets.

#5 6 years ago

Ok, perfect

#6 6 years ago

You can run 5 all day long. Enjoy.

#7 6 years ago

Keep in mind... nobody mentioned what ELSE is on that circuit. A single outlet may be part of a larger circuit with other workloads. They may not even be in the same room.

Turn all the lights in the house on and flip the breaker off. Confirm what changed. Other outlets in other rooms may be more tedious to track without testing each one. Focus on big draw devices (washer, dehumidifier, etc).

faz

#8 6 years ago

Are you sure that single outlet is 20A? Most are 15A individually with 20A passthrough on the circuit.

#9 6 years ago

I'll double check the amp, but I'm pretty sure it's 20. I do think the circuit​ also runs a bathroom. I might have to do the light trick. It'll be in a movie theater. Thanks everybody for the helpful information.

#10 6 years ago

It might be connected to a small 1 person bathroom.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

It'll be in a movie theater.

Ohhhhhhh.... I was thinking residential.

#12 6 years ago

Stopped counting after a while.

screenshot_121712_213_pm (resized).jpegscreenshot_121712_213_pm (resized).jpeg

#13 6 years ago

Christmas Vacation. One of my favorites.
    Sorry, should have said it wasn't residential. We're going to try to create a new pinball location in our small town of Grass Valley, CA

#14 6 years ago

ST Pro, SW Premium, MET prem, Fire Power II and Gorgar led on steriods

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Stopped counting after a while.

Keep adding til it all goes PPhut, then one has found the tipping point

#16 6 years ago

My advice was assuming that nothing else would be on the 20 amp circuit.

#17 6 years ago

Could always use the old penny trick. Works, but let's face it. Is your fire insurance paid up?

#18 6 years ago

Sealclubber is on track. Just because it's a 20 amp breaker doesn't mean you have 20 amp outlets. More often than not they are 15 amp outlets.. i would not plug 5 games into a single outlet and play them all at the same time. I have run 6 dmd games off 1 20 amp breaker plugged into 4 separate outlets without issue. If your running everything off 1 outlet I'd advise spending a couple bucks for an electrical upgrade, before risking Any other damage

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

Sealclubber is on track. Just because it's a 20 amp breaker doesn't mean you have 20 amp outlets. More often than not they are 15 amp outlets.. i would not plug 5 games into a single outlet and play them all at the same time. I have run 6 dmd games off 1 20 amp breaker plugged into 4 separate outlets without issue. If your running everything off 1 outlet I'd advise spending a couple bucks for an electrical upgrade, before risking Any other damage

What's the issue with one outlet per breaker? I thought it was more convenience than anything. I have five games in a surge protector plugged into one outlet that is ran by one 20 amp breaker. This is the only outlet on that breaker.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

What's the issue with one outlet per breaker? Ithought it was more convenience than anything. I have five games in a surge protector plugged into one outlet that is ran by one 20 amp breaker. This is the only outlet on that breaker.

If there is only one outlet on a 20 amp breaker, the outlet must be rated for 20 amps per NEC. We are allowed to use 15 amp outlets on a 20 amp branch circuit because the notion that your never only going to use one outlet.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Langless28:

If there is only one outlet on a 20 amp breaker, the outlet must be rated for 20 amps per NEC. We are allowed to use 15 amp outlets on a 20 amp branch circuit because the notion that your never only going to use one outlet.

Oh okay. But since I have a 20amp outlet I'm good?

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Oh okay. But since I have a 20amp outlet I'm good?

Yes. You can tell by the horizontal/ vertical prong on the hot side.

#23 6 years ago

Until the Fire Marshal shuts you down, you're good to go.
    Or spend a bit and have a qualified electrician verify your circuit and add additional outlets as needed for balanced power.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Langless28:

I'm a electrician...and I can say that this is not true. Your breaker must be sized according to the device with the lowest amperage rating. A easy way to tell if you have a 20 amp plug is to see if it the hot and neutral only run vertically, a 20 amp plug has a vertical and horizontal slot.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jsampel:

I'm a electrician...and I can say that this is not true. Your breaker must be sized according to the device with the lowest amperage rating. A easy way to tell if you have a 20 amp plug is to see if it the hot and neutral only run vertically, a 20 amp plug has a vertical and horizontal slot.

No, not true, your allowed to put a 15 A receptacle on a 20 A circuit. You see it all the time in kitchens. 20 A appliance circuit but the duplex receptacle is only 15 A. Residential code.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

No, not true, your allowed to put a 15 A receptacle on a 20 A circuit. You see it all the time in kitchens. 20 A appliance circuit but the duplex receptacle is only 15 A. Residential code.

article 210.21 (B) 1, 2, and 3 of NEC.
    Yes duplex outlet (two plugs) is already considered "multiple outlets" so it's permitted on a 20amp breaker. Part of being a UL listed outlet includes that a 15 amp duplex be capable of feeding through 20 amps of current.

Other things to consider, hopefully a 20 amp circuit uses #12 gauge wire and the outlets are not "backstabbed".

#27 6 years ago

Touché, you are correct sir, it's amazing, I've been a commercial and industrial electrician for 20 years and I still learn new things all the time

#28 6 years ago

I have 7 in the same room along with a popcorn machine. My house is newer and there is only one AFCI breaker for that particular room. The funny thing is that when there are a bunch of people playing, the lights in the hall bathroom dim every time a flipper is hit.

I'm guessing someone wired the bathroom lighting with the bedroom outlets.

My new game room has one 20A for every 3 outlets.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jsampel:

Touché, you are correct sir, it's amazing, I've been a commercial and industrial electrician for 20 years and I still learn new things all the time

No worries. Had to find the reference after you said wrong to make sure I wasn't giving false info.

#30 6 years ago

If people are making game rooms you can have your electricians wire the upper outlet of a duplex to one 20 amp circuit and the lower to another. That way you have two circuits at every outlet to even out the load.

That being said I have a police force, high speed, and baywatch on 1 15 amp circuit and all is fine. No led in the sys 11's yet.

#31 6 years ago

Another thing too is most libraries have kill-a-watt Meters to checkout to find peak power consumption of what's plugged into it. That exactly will tell you which games can on on a particular circuit

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I have 7 in the same room along with a popcorn machine.

Amateur.

We have been running around 19 in the same room for years.

However, no popcorn machine. ---- Hmmm.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-pinball-machines-can-you-plug-into-1-outlet?hl=jerryb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.