(Topic ID: 196125)

How many parts in an average new pinball machine?

By iamabearsfan

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3325 (resized).JPG
    AP.jpg
    #1 6 years ago

My son and I got on this topic. Just wondering if anyone has ever taken the time to estimate how many parts (or things....screws and all) are in one of these new high-end pinball machines such as WoZ.

Thoughts?

#2 6 years ago

14 if it's a Stern Pro.

#3 6 years ago

Go to Jersey Jack Pinball .com, download the WOZ manual. Count them up.

LTG : )

#4 6 years ago

P3 has 4000+ total parts / 500+ unique parts.

- Gerry
    http://www.multimorphic.com

#5 6 years ago

Define 'part'. Is a flipper mech one part? 46?

#6 6 years ago

That's what I was thinking. Is a screw a part? Washer?.....
    Henry Ford said there are 5000 parts in a model A.

John

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Define 'part'. Is a flipper mech one part? 46?

I am not asking unique parts. I am talking how many parts are in a pinball machine? This would include repeats. For example a car has four tires. Each tire is counted once even though it is identical.

My point is there are a lot of them and we were curious how many there might be.

Flipper Mech would have a lot of parts by my definition of the question.

#9 6 years ago

How about the EOS on the flipper mech? This might usually count as one part BUT we make our own switches.

So that means we have:

one tension plate
    two switch leaves
    two silver contacts
    two bolts
    two spring washers
    two flat washers
    two nuts
    two plastic insulating post spacers
    three insulating spacers
    one mounting bracket
    one compression plate (metal)

So we have 20 parts in each of these switches before we assemble the flipper mech.

I can say that there is a LOT more in a pinball machine than I though initially and I'm not game to count them all.

There is more wire than in a Ford Ta..............wait, someone else said that LOLOLOL

#10 6 years ago

Give or take 10,000

IMG_3325 (resized).JPGIMG_3325 (resized).JPG

#11 6 years ago

I have to start a new thread. When it said "IN" I was hoping for the used parts you find in a coin box. I was going to say "I hope not many in a new one".

Now a game 15 years or more I'd say about 25 - 30 parts IN a machine. Mostly burnt out light bulbs (Ecko), a few rubbers. Maybe a switch in the newer or leaf switch stack older.

#12 6 years ago

Allegedly, more than a Ford Taurus.

#13 6 years ago

One dollar Bob.

#14 6 years ago

Funny, my initial reaction to the question from my son was 10,000. The more I thought about it, I really thought it might be more. Then we started talking about the circuit boards. We both agreed that if it is soldered together, it counts as one

It really is amazing these things even work when you are all done. In reality it is one of the more complex machines out there.

Fun stuff!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-parts-in-an-average-new-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.