(Topic ID: 42761)

How many of you sit and stare at your machines instead of playing them?

By Benepinballs

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by PW79
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1372.JPG
    On_My_AZZ.gif
    There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Does it really matter if you get a few marks in your shooter lane?

Just wondering how many are really players, or they just collect dust because they are so afraid of getting some wear or god knows a dimple or scratch.

#2 11 years ago

I sit and stare at them.

That's my job.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

The ones that don't work stare at me.

#4 11 years ago

I only stare when I'm trying to figure out which one will get played next.

#5 11 years ago

I stare at them in frustration when they are broken

But all of my machines are there to be played, not as investments to not be touched.

#6 11 years ago

Im doing more fixing/shopping then playing it seems. Tournament coming up so fixing will even be increasing

#7 11 years ago

Stupid thread is stupid.

#8 11 years ago

I play them. Only time I stare is after a good shop job then I marvel at my work. I don't really care about scratches too much. When I first started collecting I wanted perfection and its just not possible if you're gonna play them. Now I just buy machines that are rough around the edges and see how nice I can make them. Its a slow process but its almost as fun as playing them. I've always been one to fiddle with mechanical things because I'm amazed at how stuff works and its always neat to see a machine with so many moving parts still work 100%.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Stupid thread is stupid.

Obvious post is obvious

Lol

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Obvious post is obvious
    Lol

LMFAO!!!

#11 11 years ago

OMG... Thank god I am not the only one...

I play, I fix, but I spend the most time admiring them...

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Obvious post is obvious
    Lol

Indeed!

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Stupid thread is stupid.

Rob, I agree. However, I sense frustration in the OP's subject, and THAT is entertaining. Plus, I'm curious myself. LMAO @ your comment too, btw.

#14 11 years ago

This thread is for Bryan Kelly.

#15 11 years ago

Play play play, I like nice but dont need perfect.....

#16 11 years ago

I bought mine but I never play them. I just want to have something to sit here on Pinside all day to argue with other people about.

#17 11 years ago

I can only play one at a time, but I usually have the ones in my office on.

Maybe that's why I don't seem to get any work done...

#18 11 years ago

My BSD is Getting NO Love since IM arrived .. But I still Fire them All up and keep them warm ..

You know what ,, I think I'll get off of my AZZ and go play a game on BSD .

Yr Thread's Title should've been " Who's on Pinside More than Play-n Pinball "

Take a week off from this Forum ,, and you Will understand !!

On_My_AZZ.gifOn_My_AZZ.gif

#19 11 years ago

They look the best in the dark....so scratches and dings are no big deal.

Sometimes I like to admire them briefly all lit up.....then I play.

#20 11 years ago

Sometimes I just stare and can't believe the machine I played down on the Wildwood Boardwalk when I was younger is now in my gameroom. Just to HAVE a gameroom, and cigar room, and movie room....we are all lucky people...

#21 11 years ago

I stand there and stare.... but not because I'm afraid to play them, I just get so damn memorized I just zone out and enjoy

#22 11 years ago

There should be a poll, and people should honestly answer the question. There are a lot more watchers these days it seems.

#23 11 years ago

I bet that was an unimaginable hell BR lol. You should go put a game on Drac. I've noticed when ever I play drac the very first game is always the best then its all downhill after that

#24 11 years ago

I play them when I can, but have been known to stare at them late at night when I get done playing and before I turn them all off. Currently I have only been ABLE to stare at my Congo, as I have had all the metal parts removed and sitting at the powdercoater's for a month. *sadface*

#25 11 years ago

Mine are in the lounge I play a lot but my gf catches me stareing from the couch if we're watching tv.

#26 11 years ago

I'll admit that I do like sitting at my bar and looking at them, especially after they are cleaned. They are little show pieces. Sometimes ya gotta stare.

#27 11 years ago

It's OK to stare, but when you start kissing and licking them ... you really should make an appointment to see a doctor because you have issues.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I sit and stare at them.
    That's my job.
    LTG : )

Well.... until someone breaks something, then YOU can fix it

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Stupid thread is stupid.

I like it. There are collectors who just STARE! They don't play! A pin-friend was over the other day and he was SHOCKED at how many plays my games have. He looked inside the cab of one of my games and said "what's all this shit in here!?!?"

"That's solenoid dust cuz I've played this game probably 4000 times!"

"WHAT?!?!?!" ...then he started to play it... "Wow, this is fun, maybe I should play mine" LOL

...he then asked me "If you bought a BBB, would you actually PLAY IT!?"

"YES, I'd play it! I wouldn't want one if I wasn't going to play it!!!!!!"

He has a BBB and doesn't touch it. I cry.

This is the weirdest hobby ever.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

It's OK to stare, but when you start kissing and licking them ... you really should make an appointment to see a doctor because you have issues.

You mean like the guy on RGP that got his weiner stuck in one?

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=&hl=en#!topic/rec.games.pinball/kCVzEL-q7Js

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

I stand there and stare.... but not because I'm afraid to play them, I just get so damn memorized I just zone out and enjoy

I do the same thing. Sometimes I will just turn them all on and hang-out. I am finding my White Water getting neglected since all the newbies showed up. Pinside is addicting-some nights I would rather talk about pinball then play it. When my friends come over now they go straight to the machines and start playing them. It helps when friends come over-there has not been one weekend where one of my friends isn't calling to come over and hang out.

#32 11 years ago

I just wish people would use the words 'then' and 'than' correctly...............

#33 11 years ago

Mine can never be played. Nor looked at.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I like it. There are collectors who just STARE! They don't play! A pin-friend was over the other day and he was SHOCKED at how many plays my games have. He looked inside the cab of one of my games and said "what's all this shit in here!?!?"
    "That's solenoid dust cuz I've played this game probably 4000 times!"
    "WHAT?!?!?!" ...then he started to play it... "Wow, this is fun, maybe I should play mine" LOL
    ...he then asked me "If you bought a BBB, would you actually PLAY IT!?"
    "YES, I'd play it! I wouldn't want one if I wasn't going to play it!!!!!!"
    He has a BBB and doesn't touch it. I cry.
    This is the weirdest hobby ever.

That's just insane. Makes no sense to me at all how anyone could own these machines and not play them.

Not only do I play all of mine without hesitation, but I always do what I can to encourage friends and family to play them as well, including the younger kids that may continuously hit the flipper buttons on my MM.

I'm having a full restoration done on a AFM and my MB. They will both be true beauties to behold. But I can promise you that they will both get a ton of play...not just from me, but friends, family, and local Pinsiders.

#35 11 years ago

Yes I do this from time to time I must admit. I get to thinking how cool they look and how lucky I am to have em. That said, I spend much more time playing them then I do looking at them.

Quoted from PapaJohn:

I just wish people would use the words 'then' and 'than' correctly...............

Than what would you have to complain about?

#36 11 years ago

If it isn't a painting, I use it. I never understood how people can have a nice pinball machine, car or musical instrument just to visually admire. Games were produced to be played, cars to be driven and instruments to be played. Not doing so is criminal to me. For pins and cars, I'd go so far as to say that it is actually worse for them to not to be used as manufactured. A friend of the family had a pristine Porsche 928 he let sit under a canvas so long that it wouldn't start. I know someone right now with a HUO Capt. Fantastic (Yes, HUO for 35+ years) who never uses it and it doesn't work.

#37 11 years ago

After a few of these, I stare at my pins for way too much time.

IMG_1372.JPGIMG_1372.JPG

#38 11 years ago

In Soviet Wisconsin pin stares at you.

#39 11 years ago

I play mine. As of lately, they get played every night. But when I'm sitting in the lounge doing other things, like reading or playing with the dogs, I will sometimes turn them on and just let them sit there looking all pretty in attract mode. Especially when they are running correctly and are freshly cleaned up. I can't afford to buy them to sit around as decoration.

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from Benepinballs:

Does it really matter if you get a few marks in your shooter lane?
    Just wondering how many are really players, or they just collect dust because they are so afraid of getting some wear or god knows a dimple or scratch.

I am definitely a player, but I love to go down to my gameroom in progress and just stare at it. My wife makes fun of me all the time for it.

#41 11 years ago

@pismoarcade...

where can i get the beer holder?

#42 11 years ago

They're called "Pingulps" and they're awesome. The picture I took doesn't show the base. Also it's retractable.

Got mine from Pinball Life.

#43 11 years ago

^^^

thanks mate... off to order...

#44 11 years ago

No worries... Enjoy!

#45 11 years ago

Stare and Play, Stare and Play, then repeat in opposite order...

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

I play mine. As of lately, they get played every night. But when I'm sitting in the lounge doing other things, like reading or playing with the dogs, I will sometimes turn them on and just let them sit there looking all pretty in attract mode. Especially when they are running correctly and are freshly cleaned up. I can't afford to buy them to sit around as decoration.

There's a difference between admiring and purely owning to stare. There are guys who buy NIB or restored games, own them for years, and they'll have like 20 plays on them. I don't even know how that's possible...how do you not want to PLAY a pinball that's in your house!? ...and if you're not going to play it, why buy it? If you want art, hang up pictures of pinball machine art on the walls. PLAY YOUR GAMES, PEOPLE! ...or free up some space and sell them to people who will enjoy them.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

There are guys who buy NIB or restored games, own them for years, and they'll have like 20 plays on them.

I never understand it when I see games posted for sale that say things like "HUO under 100 plays." My buddies and me put more than that on my AC/DC the first day I got it.

Though I'm also the kind of guy who buys really expensive collectibles and immediately takes them out of the box.

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from krupa:

I never understand it when I see games posted for sale that say things like "HUO under 100 plays."

I always assume that's a lie. After all there is no way to verify the number of plays.

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I always assume that's a lie. After all there is no way to verify the number of plays.

That is true. But I've heard enough second hand accounts to think it's not always a lie.

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Nah, I don't think people are lying. I have a friend who just buys and buys and buys. When it comes to collecting hobbies - you're bound to meet people who get more out of acquiring than actually enjoying the item. I checked the audits of one of his new Sterns...after 2 years it had about 60 plays on it. No updates or resets on that game...the playcount was absolutely true.

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-of-you-sit-and-stare-at-your-machines-instead-of-playing-them and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.