5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 871 posts
  • 247 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 days ago by D-Gottlieb
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 499 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

7F081F67-7127-4F31-B633-40F4E692CDB4.jpeg
IMG_6406 (resized).JPG
AD6AC3D7-85E8-4145-B4C4-E5ADA4354582 (resized).jpeg
F28AE14E-13F3-4225-B00A-EF34E37CD48F (resized).jpeg
10BD8555-BE2F-489C-9B5E-C3C4C8E6AA82 (resized).jpeg
187EF7A1-9AB3-45FA-A578-3953BC437FEF (resized).jpeg
5127226C-1190-4ABF-B7D4-3FF8E1604E29 (resized).jpeg
E3C22C1F-7F28-42B1-BFE5-6E3ABD9E4BC5 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3260 (resized).JPG
710E4FC5-3A9E-45A2-AD2D-B4A6D0139D2D (resized).jpeg
7899BD5F-D292-4412-B834-C57FDC879530 (resized).jpeg
A8386F85-3068-43F3-88CA-C15B8EE3E0C1 (resized).jpeg
9930FEDD-EDAD-4213-AAFF-B683ED250D3F (resized).jpeg
C04EFB52-2569-47A0-AB0B-4452D390090E (resized).jpeg
0B28DC59-8D68-4997-B348-AAB56BF979F6 (resized).jpeg
65898102-E899-4E46-95DE-BBE4A96DDCFD (resized).jpeg

There are 871 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 18.
#201 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I'm thinking since I've ALWAYS wanted a Harley, if I get anything else I'll just be regretting it. But is it like cars, where the Japanese ones are just generally better built? Hogs are more maintenance I would think for sure. But that's part of it right, kinda like pinball?
So besides a Sportster, what other models might a po boy be able to afford?

I never liked HDs. To me they looked like old man bikes. I am a old man(50 in September) but I didn't want a old man bike. I had a Yamaha Warrior and I loved it but one day I went into a HD shop to ask some questions about a bike I bought to resell and I saw the CVO Breakout and I fell in love. The bike was 26000 and wound up being 32000 all done. I mentioned it to my Grandfather and he snuck over there and checked it out and handed me a check for more than half because he liked it so much. HD gave me a 2 year warranty, that is it. No service policy no nothing. The bike had a oil leak and when I showed it to them the guy said that was a SEEP not a leak and the warranty wouldn't cover it. Of course, now that the warranty is out it is a leak. They will fix what they have to and nothing more. I only have 5000 miles on the bike and its a 2013 because of my grand daughter taking up so much of my time and I wag my shop dog back and forth since she got run over. I ought to sell it but I cant because of my grandfather. I do get lots of stares and thumbs up WHEN I ride it though. Oh, other than the leak I have had no other problems with it.

#202 2 years ago

Once you ride a HD you will never want anything else, unless you are a crotch rocket or sport bike guy.

#203 2 years ago

I ride with a bunch of Harley guys. The brand is way more about the image than the motorcycle. My friend just bought a new xxx Harley. Was $42,000 and wasn't even the top of the line. Harley switches wheels, tanks, fairings and makes 20 "different" models. If you really want a Harley go for it but I can buy 3 or 4 non Harley's for the same cost not to mention service. You know what HD stands for? Hundred dollars. Ha ha.

#204 2 years ago

hd's good looking but imo are overrated sorry for the fans
but for avery ass there's a seat!

just follow your hart gryszzz!

#205 2 years ago

I love Harleys. Have owned nothing but Harleys.

But......just my opinion.......

They are way overpriced, and way overrated.

#206 2 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Yeah, even non bikers know that. But the EXHAUST NOTES!!! Nothing else compares.... nothing. Found a 1200 Sportster for $3800. Also a gorgeous 92 Soft Tail for $5500....but 50k miles. That's too damn much for a Hog I'm guessing.
Probably go to my local dealer today just to see what's what. Thanks for the input guys.

#207 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Hogs are more maintenance I would think for sure.

No, not at all. In fact, I could argue the opposite because Harleys do not need valve adjustments (no shims, they're hydrolic push-rods).

Also, Harleys use kevlar belts as the final drive (instead of chains, which require a lot of maintenance, especially if you ride in rain a lot).

I've owned all sorts over my 25 years of riding, and always have done my own maintenance. I currently have a Twin-cam 88 engine in my softail. The only thing that's "extra" on Harleys is the separate oil in the primary-chain case. But you don't drain it at every oil change, so it makes up for it, sort of. Also on Harleys, the transmission oil is separate. But again, you don't drain that as often as engine oil.

#208 2 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Maybe so. But I did 4200 miles on my softail standard (with stock seat) in 12 days.

Doing this kind of mileage on my CBR929 would have been unthinkable...

#209 2 years ago

Ah! I wasn't aware that Pinside had an official organ donor thread. I think that's really nice.

#210 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Also a gorgeous 92 Soft Tail for $5500....but 50k miles. That's too damn much for a Hog I'm guessing.

Is that on Craigslist? Put the link up if it is. Those Harley Evolution motors are awesome and 50k miles is very common. I had an '89 Springer with over 45k miles that was going strong, no problems, before I crashed and burned it.

If that bikes been for sale for a while I'd offer $4500. It's definitely a buyers market for Harleys right now.

#211 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I think that's really nice.

Well thank you. We're all aware of how dangerous riding is, thanks.

Now shoo shoo and go ride your boring cage...

#212 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Yeah, even non bikers know that. But the EXHAUST NOTES!!! Nothing else compares.... nothing. Found a 1200 Sportster for $3800. Also a gorgeous 92 Soft Tail for $5500....but 50k miles. That's too damn much for a Hog I'm guessing.
Probably go to my local dealer today just to see what's what. Thanks for the input guys.

The Sportster might be a good bet.
The big ones are great on the highway, but a bitch around town.

#213 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

I've owned all sorts over my 25 years of riding, and always have done my own maintenance. I currently have a Twin-cam 88 engine in my softail. The only thing that's "extra" on Harleys is the separate oil in the primary-chain case. But you don't drain it at every oil change, so it makes up for it, sort of. Also on Harleys, the transmission oil is separate. But again, you don't drain that as often as engine oil.

Except on the sporty's, tranny and primary are one in the same, primary and transmission share a common sump.

#214 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Found a 1200 Sportster for $3800.

Pending on your size and experience, there is nothing wrong with sporty's. Two things I personally would make sure of which I did is:

1- Get the rubber mounted engine style frame vs the hard mount.

2- Get a bike with a Carb over EFi. You have more flexibility to work on them and adjust them over the computer EFi and all those dam sensors.

however everyone is different, so just get what you enjoy and be careful.

#215 2 years ago

Plus..... Sportsters are cool!

Craig and Eric (resized).jpg

#216 2 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Except on the sporty's, tranny and primary are one in the same.

Sure, sure. Thanks for the clarification.

I cannot vouch for the comfort of Sportsters. My friend has one, and he doesn't find it comfy at all (on long rides).

I would personally opt for a used Softail Standard over a new Sporty. But that's just an opinion.

Also, in town, the Softails are not cows. Mine doesn't have any fairing at all, so it's still nimble and light enough to handle traffic easily.

#217 2 years ago

I love the softail, at some point I would love to find a nice Dyna again. However for now I have a cute little sportster that I'm thinking of bumping to the 1430cc Big bore kit.

#218 2 years ago

Well I'm 6' tall and have a pinball players physique...lol. But my experience is nada..none. So I'm not looking to start out on a Road King, hell even the Fat Boys look a little intimidating for a newbie. Thinking I could be ok with a Sportster or a Dyna. Im not looking to ride on highway for a LONG time. Just tool around town and pick up sorority girls.

#219 2 years ago

Here's that ad Billy..
indianapolis.craigslist.org link
Posting ads here is pretty much saying.."Hey! Buy this out from under me!"...and that's ok. If it will it will.
She's a beaut Clark! In my price range too. The age and mileage worry me a little though.

#220 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Well I'm 6' tall and have a pinball players physique...lol. But my experience is nada..none. So I'm not looking to start out on a Road King, hell even the Fat Boys look a little intimidating for a newbie. Thinking I could be ok with a Sportster or a Dyna. Im not looking to ride on highway for a LONG time. Just tool around town and pick up sorority girls.

My son in law is 6'3" 190ish, and he rides a sporty custom with forward controls and fits him nicely. Yes there a many guys who ride the bigger bikes the pick on the sporty's calling it a girls bike and such, but it's also the most customize bike that Harley makes, there is so much you can do to it. I have a 5 gallon tank on my sporty and take the bike on pretty nice rides on the weekend, 4-5 hours each way and find it very comfortable. Of course I did change my seat, added a windshield, running lights, etc... but rather do enjoy it and so does my passenger. Just enjoy the ride that's all that counts, oh and don't Dudley the bike lol.

#221 2 years ago

1999 road king moded with cams, pipes, upgraded intake, etc and street glide with a few of those, will post RK later.

IMG_4887 (resized).JPG

#222 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Here's that ad Billy..
indianapolis.craigslist.org link
Posting ads here is pretty much saying.."Hey! Buy this out from under me!"...and that's ok. If it will it will.

That's not my intention at all. I love helping newbies buy bikes. I've helped a couple of guys at work buy their first bike. The ad says that it was posted just 15 hours ago, so I'm guessing he wouldn't take $4500 yet. If you're looking for loud, that's the bike for you.

My son in law is 6'3" 190ish, and he rides a sporty custom with forward controls and fits him nicely.

Gryszzz, if you really want a HD, but you're nervous about it, get a Sportster. It's small, light, sounds like the bigger bikes and are much cheaper. Plus they're a pile of fun for tearing around town in.

#223 2 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Gryszzz, if you really want a HD, but you're nervous about it, get a Sportster. It's small, light, sounds like the bigger bikes and are much cheaper. Plus they're a pile of fun for tearing around town in.

I agree with this 100%, in addition for almost the same price range as this 1992, you can get a 1200 sporty from the mid 2000's that has the rubber mounted engine frame (which does give a lot more comfort and vibration reduction). I think in 2007 they went to EFi's with the sportsters. Mine is a 2006 because I wanted the carb version and really enjoying the hell out of it, although the EFi's are more hands off but when there is an issue you are married to the Stealer to get it right.

#224 2 years ago

the EFi's are more hands off but when there is an issue you are married to the Stealer to get it right.

This is true, but I'll add in the EFi's defense that I've had 3 Harleys with EFi's and they've all been perfect. I bought a 2005 Road King custom off the showroom floor, had it for ten years, no problems. My wife has a 2008 Sportster that we bought in 2010, no problems. Then the VROD that I just sold was a 2006 with no problems either. I installed a Cobra fuel commander in all three of them too.

#225 2 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

I ride with a bunch of Harley guys. The brand is way more about the image than the motorcycle.

Let me begin by saying that I currently own a CB1100 and have never owned a Harley. So these are just my observations.

There are three types of Harley owners. The first, which is less than 1%, are the stereotypical biker gang type. While most are decent and hardworking people they truly don't give a damn what anyone thinks and, therefore, are prone to say and do whatever the hell they want. The next group, maybe 30%, are those that, for whatever reason, fell in love with a particular HD model. Usually they own and have owned multiple bikes but there was something about this HD that spoke to them. Then there is the majority who aren't buying a bike, they are buying the lifestyle. They see themselves are being part of that 1%. They don't just leave the showroom with a bike, they buy all the clothing emblazoned with the logo, shun ATGATT, and get all the screamin' eagle accessories. They pay top dollar, ride the bike for three months, keep it for three years and then sell it to someone in the first two groups.

#226 2 years ago

^^^^^ well put. ^^^^^^^

#227 2 years ago

This is in no way representative of the average cost of Harleys. Maybe it was a special/limited Ed? I don't even know why you mentioned it, really.

Quoted from Travish:

The brand is way more about the image than the motorcycle

HD does spend a lot when it comes to marketing the HD brand all over the world. True. To say that the clothing/brand is way more than the bikes themselves, well, are you serious?

Do you have riding time spent on a Harley? Or do you just want to talk about your friend's experiences?

Quoted from Travish:

not to mention service

The hourly tech cost to service a HD is often the same for servicing a Honda. What exactly are you talking about? The only thing I let the dealership handle is mounting a new tire on my rim (I don't have a tire balancing machine at home). Mounting a tubeless tire on a Harley costs the same as mounting a tubeless tire on a Honda rim.

Like I said before, there wasn't any servicing on my Harley that didn't have to be done on my CBR929 also.

So what are we talking about here? This thread is now becoming HD versus Japanese bikes?????

#228 2 years ago

If I ever got an HD, it would have to look something like this. Never was a fan of the way motorcycles looked, because I thought they all had to look like Harleys or crotch rockets. Once I discovered bobbers and cafe racers, then my interest was held.

c8050b6c0b3e9c1333fb3be2a4cbc94a (resized).jpg

#229 2 years ago

Yep. Looks like European Cafe Racers' your bag then. Nothing wrong with that.

It's challenging to go long distances with them though (comfort-wise). But they sure are fun.

#230 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Yep. Looks like European Cafe Racers' your bag then. Nothing wrong with that.
It's challenging to go long distances with them though (comfort-wise). But they sure are fun.

Here's what I got 45 days ago. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-of-you-pinheads-have-a-motorcycle/page/4#post-3724241

Since 2012 I'd been riding a 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 500. It rode very comfortably, and was dirt cheap. Spent every year since then trying to figure out what I exactly wanted. I really liked the HD Iron 883, but hated the shake of the handlebars. My hands went numb in the first 5 minutes of the test ride. Hated the HD Street. Both my legs and arms cramped up by the end of the test ride. (maybe I have something wrong with my body. Test-rode the Triumph Thruxton, and loved the ride except I felt my are were going to have a workout if I rode for an extended period of time. Then settled on a used 2014 Bonneville, and I love it! Looking to change up the looks sometime soon.

#231 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

This is in no way representative of the average cost of Harleys. Maybe it was a special/limited Ed? I don't even know why you mentioned it, really.

HD does spend a lot when it comes to marketing the HD brand all over the world. True. To say that the clothing/brand is way more than the bikes themselves, well, are you serious?
Do you have riding time spent on a Harley? Or do you just want to talk about your friend's experiences?

The hourly tech cost to service a HD is often the same for servicing a Honda. What exactly are you talking about? The only thing I let the dealership handle is mounting a new tire on my rim (I don't have a tire balancing machine at home). Mounting a tubeless tire on a Harley costs the same as mounting a tubeless tire on a Honda rim.
Like I said before, there wasn't any servicing on my Harley that didn't have to be done on my CBR929 also.
So what are we talking about here? This thread is now becoming HD versus Japanese bikes?????

I mentioned it because I could buy 5 of my bikes for what his 1 cost.

It's not a us vs them. I ride with people that ride all different makes. I ride about 20,000 miles a year and have over 100,000 miles on my Yamaha. 75,000 of those miles right with Harley's in the group. Besides adjusting valves and oil I have spent maybe $100 on mine. Several of my friends have spent more on repairs than i paid for my bike. I don't know about hourly rates. I won't let anybody touch mine. If I did buy a Harley it would be a xr750.

IMG_2959 (resized).JPG

#232 2 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Then settled on a used 2014 Bonneville

Excellent choice! The coolest looking versatile bike around, I think. Awesome value also.

Quoted from Travish:

If I did buy a Harley it would be a xr750

ah yeah. Indeed.

Quoted from Travish:

I could buy 5 of my bikes for what his 1 cost.

Maybe HDs are pricey where you are? There's no way you could buy 5 of anything for what I paid for my Softail. Unless we're talking about sub-2k rolling turds. I'm pretty sure that's not what you ride.

Quoted from Travish:

Several of my friends have spent more on repairs than i paid for my bike.

Wow. I'd love you know what kind of repairs? That just sucks.

#233 2 years ago

I went to VIR and watched the Vance and Hines AMA harley racing series on modified xr750's. It was a blast. (Not my photo)

IMG_2960 (resized).JPG

#234 2 years ago

This guy a little high but for low 6's this seems like good deal...
cincinnati.craigslist.org link

#235 2 years ago

A $3500 1200 might be the way I go. That seems like best deal...and there's a few of em.

#236 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

A $3500 1200 might be the way I go. That seems like best deal...and there's a few of em.

Agreed, then when you grow into the hobby, trade up. Beside IMHO I never liked the V-Rod, didn't care for their water cooled system, give me that big EVO Twin.......

#237 2 years ago

Hey Death,
Thanks for the input from you, Billy, and everyone else.
Gracias

#238 2 years ago

Beside IMHO I never liked the V-Rod, didn't care for their water cooled system, give me that big EVO Twin.......

That's what I thought too until I bought one for shits and giggles. It was by far the most fun bike I've owned. That water cooled engine was awesome on hot days. It ran great and you weren't sitting on an oven at stop lights.

#239 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Hey Death,.
Thanks for the input from you and everyone else.
Gracias

That's what the hobby is all about, drive safe.

#240 2 years ago

Goddamnit I just realized I forgot Billy and edited him in. Take 2!

#241 2 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

and you weren't sitting on an oven at stop lights.

Ahh yes, the good o'l nut roaster on those 90+ degrees days lol.

I have heard many issues with the V-Rod Revolution engine tho, have you had any with yours?

#242 2 years ago

No issues for me, although I only put about 3000 miles on it when I owned it. It's a completely different engine than what a person gets used to after years of riding cruisers. They run at very high RPM's so that could possibly be what the issues are from. But man do they haul ass. I could do 0-70 in about 3 to 4 seconds and I'd only be in 3rd gear.

#243 2 years ago

My name is David. My boy is Harley. He's, 'Harley David's son'.

#244 2 years ago

That's what the hobby is all about, drive safe.

Yes it is. I love talking bikes more then pinball. Hell I've made more posts today in this thread than I do in a month on Pinside.

Personally Gryszzz, I'd do the Sportster too. Get used to riding during this summer and get a bigger one down the road. Plus if you need to take your endorsement test you don't want a big ass lumbering bike to drive through the course.

#245 2 years ago

That's actually bad ass. Honda monkey z50.

#246 2 years ago

I have 2 left, 99 and 00 Excelsior Henderson. Sold the rest...

#247 2 years ago

Seeing quite a few NightRods/VRods for sale. I like the black look, and they seem to be cheaper. But that $3800 1200 just dropped his price to $3500. Probably a fool not to get that one for low 3's. Somebody listed a 2011 883 with 1kmiles on for $4300. Billy come on down and let's read CL together. Then drink a lot of whiskey and go start fights.

#248 2 years ago

I forgot how much fun CL scammers are.
Selling a Softail for 2k are ya?? Can ya send me a pic of THE WHOLE BIKE??!!
Oh...you want my email to send more pics. Gotcha.
Still haven't figured out wtf they want with my email though. Trying to find a credit card #? Selling it? 3 scammers in my Indy motorcycle section right now. I. Don't. Get it.

#249 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Somebody listed a 2011 883 with 1kmiles on for $4300. Billy come on down and let's read CL together. Then drink a lot of whiskey and go start fights.

I just fired up my wife's 883 Sporty today for the first time since last summer. I put a new battery in it and it fired right up. She's off visiting family for the week and I'm going to surprise her with new Cobra pipes on her bike when she gets back.

Man I'd love to make a trip to Indy to meet you but this work crap can't be avoided.

1 week later
#250 2 years ago

Long live the Honda ATC

20170521_170813 (resized).jpg

20170521_170739 (resized).jpg

20170521_170427 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 275.00
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 49.95
Playfield - Plastics
MicksPinball
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 7.00
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 64.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 189.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
There are 871 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 18.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside