BC342764-24CB-490C-8C8B-FBEBD0A4AEAD (resized).jpeg
44939E7A-CA48-417B-8E10-6B1D269512DA (resized).jpeg
681F5139-7565-4887-A71F-DD73F2A3ABE8 (resized).jpeg
4A5AB2CA-1305-4E60-83B6-67CDA06440FF (resized).jpeg
ADF6631E-5EC3-4A8C-9388-7048F2183482 (resized).jpeg
20221015_151530 (resized).jpg
20221113_213826 (resized).jpg
20210805_171307 (resized).jpg

There are 1,055 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 22.
#801 4 years ago

I have 4 bikes. An 09 Rocker heavily modded, a Ducati 1098 that is fairly well stock, a Moto Guzzi LeMans MKIV and a Yamaha XT250.

One thing i do know is that nobody gets out alive.

bike2 (resized).jpgbike2 (resized).jpgbike3 (resized).jpgbike3 (resized).jpgrocker4 (resized).jpgrocker4 (resized).jpg
#802 4 years ago

Saw a Harley hit a deer last weekend, and he was probably doing 70mph.
I was dialing 911 when I saw the guy stand up. He had a helmet and full leather, riding boots etc.

#803 4 years ago

I hope the deer was OK.

1 week later
#804 4 years ago

My friend Craig bought this as a butt-ugly seventies style chopper, sometime in the early eighties.
We tore it down and built this. A mish mash of parts, but more or less a 53.
He fitted it with a foot clutch and single fire ignition. A total blast to ride!

Bike 2 (resized).jpgBike 2 (resized).jpgBike1 (resized).jpgBike1 (resized).jpg
#805 4 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

He fitted it with a foot clutch

Foot eh? That must be so weird to ride. Forces you to always have one foot on the bike when stopped. Typically that's a good thing.

#806 4 years ago

Still has neutral doesn't it?

#807 4 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Foot eh? That must be so weird to ride. Forces you to always have one foot on the bike when stopped. Typically that's a good thing.

It's not as hard to ride as you may think. The clutch will stay disengaged when kicked back. You can sit at a light with it in gear and put both feet on the ground.
Starting on a hill takes some practice!
Once you master it....no problem.
Down shifting into a tight curve is a gas! .....so much fun to ride.

Yes, it has neutral.

4 weeks later
#808 4 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

I agree.......getting old,cancer,kids n family fighting over/stealing your money when the brain starts to go..shitting on your self and then nursing home....that’s better to you...?!...have at it....I’ll be ridin............Joey

Last bike sold with around 20.
A KTM LC 4 .. what a bike in the city of Cologne ...

30 years later, I am 50 years old. Have a"lupus anticoagulants", several pinballs, a chrysler with 430 PS and now ... a Husqvarna 701 Supermoto.
I know .. if I have an accident i will have a big risk to die due to my blood clotting ... so lets enjoy the day !!

And yes .. my wife knowes about the worth of my pins ... no chance to grab them for peanuts ...

600egs (resized).jpg600egs (resized).jpgIMG_0365 (resized).JPGIMG_0365 (resized).JPG
#809 4 years ago

I ride an '04 HD Road King. 16in Apes. <3

IMG_0840 (resized).jpgIMG_0840 (resized).jpg
#810 4 years ago

I would think you EM fans would also like and ride the
EMs of motorcycles .......BMW airheads......
Let's see them....

#811 4 years ago

Have 4 bikes currently, Yamaha XT 250, Ducati 1098, 09 HarleyRocker C and a Moto Guzzi Le Mans MKIV 1000.

Haven't ridden the old Guzzi for years but the other 3 are registered and get ridden. Just did the mirror delete on the Duke to replace the reindeer antlers they called mirrors. Bonus is that i can now see out of them.

bike2 (resized).jpgbike2 (resized).jpgbike6 (resized).jpgbike6 (resized).jpgrockerandmesep142 (resized).jpgrockerandmesep142 (resized).jpg
#812 4 years ago

After thinking about getting a bike again the last two summers, I finally pulled the trigger.

2019 Triumph Speed Twin

20190721_122858 (resized).jpg20190721_122858 (resized).jpg
#813 4 years ago

Used to, Sold it 2013

Still have trailer if someone is interested

on the road (resized).jpgon the road (resized).jpg
#814 4 years ago
Quoted from TMFish:

After thinking about getting a bike again the last two summers, I finally pulled the trigger.
2019 Triumph Speed Twin[quoted image]

Nice. Got a 2014 Bonneville. SUPER sad though that last year, our local Triumph dealer dropped Triumphs. Said there were 5 dealers in the state of Indiana as of 2017, but they all dropped Triumph due to Triumph being dumb with the process or something. Now the closest dealer is about 5-6 hours away I think.

So I haven't even seen what the new bikes look like. Yours looks different than what I've seen before.

#815 4 years ago

So after two years of not owning a bike, I went and looked at one last night. The guy had OBO on his price, so I shot him an offer (not a lowball, 10% lower than his asking price) and he tells me that he's firm on his price. WTF? He's already $1k over NADA value.

I told him I'd think about it. Any advice on how to proceed, or should I walk away?

#816 4 years ago
20190518_123139 (resized).jpg20190518_123139 (resized).jpg
#817 4 years ago
bike8 (resized).jpgbike8 (resized).jpg
#818 4 years ago

09 Road King for me.

20150909_104527 (resized).jpg20150909_104527 (resized).jpg
#819 4 years ago

My former ride was an ivory BMW R1200C that belonged to Dave Abbruzzese of Pearl Jam before me:

BMWR1200C (resized).jpgBMWR1200C (resized).jpg

#820 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

So after two years of not owning a bike, I went and looked at one last night. The guy had OBO on his price, so I shot him an offer (not a lowball, 10% lower than his asking price) and he tells me that he's firm on his price. WTF? He's already $1k over NADA value.
I told him I'd think about it. Any advice on how to proceed, or should I walk away?

Walk away, i would never pay over what the book value is. That guy is nuts.

#821 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Walk away, i would never pay over what the book value is. That guy is nuts.

I'm with you there, I'm not paying over book value. Just seeing if anyone has any advice on how to get the guy to come down, but I don't think it's happening. I'm going to call him back tomorrow and give him the same offer, then walk away when he turns it down.

#822 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

I'm with you there, I'm not paying over book value. Just seeing if anyone has any advice on how to get the guy to come down, but I don't think it's happening. I'm going to call him back tomorrow and give him the same offer, then walk away when he turns it down.

I would probably just say the bank will only loan what the book value is. Id say im willing to give you that if you want it but i cant go any higher.

#823 4 years ago

Always wanted to go to Sturgis fuck you Roofer lol.

#824 4 years ago
Quoted from swanng:

I hope the deer was OK.

Well ummm ahhhh no, sorry to report.

#825 4 years ago

Going to Sturgis this Saturday! Huge party there and always a kick ass time. Seeing Godsmack and Disturbed at the Chip to boot.

2 weeks later
#826 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I would probably just say the bank will only loan what the book value is. Id say im willing to give you that if you want it but i cant go any higher.

So, I tried this and the guy still didn't budge. No surprise there, so I moved on. A few days later he calls me back and says he's "willing to accept my offer". I told him that I've changed my mind, but I would do $1,500 less. He loses it over the phone. Tells me that my original offer and his now accepting of the offer is a verbal contract and that he could sue me, blah, blah, blah. His ad is still up and I'm still waiting to hear from his attorney.

#827 4 years ago

In the meantime I did pick up this beauty. 2007 Ultra Limited. Burgundy and cream paint with gold. My wife and son absolutely love sitting back and riding with me.
20190815_152723 (resized).jpg20190815_152723 (resized).jpg20190815_152739 (resized).jpg20190815_152739 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#828 4 years ago

Honda Trail 70!

A9087390-E53F-4BF9-8E7B-9740F2AD0037 (resized).jpegA9087390-E53F-4BF9-8E7B-9740F2AD0037 (resized).jpeg
#829 4 years ago

It's bike week in Ocean City, MD right now. I'll be there tonight, and all day Sunday. Let me know if any one here makes the trip down. Shoot me a PM.

-Chad

#830 4 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Honda Trail 70![quoted image]

As a young child, we rode on something similar. Often 3 of us on the one bike. How we didn’t burn our legs on the pipe, I will never know. So dangerous, but at the time it seemed like no big deal.

1 month later
#831 4 years ago

Took my first spill today. Was nice and sunny and about 52 degrees outside. I worked from home today, so I figured I'd get one last ride in during lunch before the crappy weather hits for the season.

Where I live, we're known as the roundabout capitol. Over 100 roundabouts have been built in the city. And I have always been leery of them on my motorcycle. Slow speeds and tight turns. And today, my fear came true.

But while my fear was just that, I knew the bike could always make it through, today it didn't. As I was rounding the bend, my tires just slipped right out from under me. Luckily, I was probably only going 10 mph, so me, and the bike didn't get far. And luckily, it was a little cooler out, so I was fully padded. If not, I know I would have had a nice rash on my left forearm for sure. My jacket shows it wasn't a gentle glide.

As for the bike, I got lucky with that too. The only things that broke were the two things that kept me from riding it home. The clutch lever snapped off, and the gear shift peg did as well. And other than a small chunk taken out of the end bar plate, the bike looks perfectly fine. I was expecting the tank to be all scratched up. But nope. Even the footpeg don't look like it even touched the ground, which im not sure how that was possible being that the gear shifter broke.

But the thing that bugs the hell out of me is I still have no idea what happened. I've taken that turn 100+ times before, all the same way. Ground was dry. My tires are new this season. I went back and walked the road, and didn't see anything that could have cause my to lose traction. So the only thing I could figure was that maybe the tires just were too cold and had no grip? But I've ridden before in colder weather and have had no issues. I've even gone around these roundabouts in rain too. So this is what worries me the most. I have no explanation for how the tires just went out from under me. Which is going to make me punchy the next time I get on it.

Was trying to remember what I was doing exactly. And per previous times going through, I usually just coast at that part. I'm not through the turn yet, so I don't really give it any gas until I straighten up, and I'm down in 2nd gear entering the round about and already slow enough that I don't need to use the brakes.

The ONLY thing I can think of is that maybe I was just going too slow, and that I laid the bike over just a tad too much while taking the turn? No idea.

But I'm safe, that's all the matters. Just a bruise on my right knee.

#832 4 years ago

Glad to hear you didn't go down hard and/or fast.

#833 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Took my first spill today. Was nice and sunny and about 52 degrees outside. I worked from home today, so I figured I'd get one last ride in during lunch before the crappy weather hits for the season.
Where I live, we're known as the roundabout capitol. Over 100 roundabouts have been built in the city. And I have always been leery of them on my motorcycle. Slow speeds and tight turns. And today, my fear came true.
But while my fear was just that, I knew the bike could always make it through, today it didn't. As I was rounding the bend, my tires just slipped right out from under me. Luckily, I was probably only going 10 mph, so me, and the bike didn't get far. And luckily, it was a little cooler out, so I was fully padded. If not, I know I would have had a nice rash on my left forearm for sure. My jacket shows it wasn't a gentle glide.
As for the bike, I got lucky with that too. The only things that broke were the two things that kept me from riding it home. The clutch lever snapped off, and the gear shift peg did as well. And other than a small chunk taken out of the end bar plate, the bike looks perfectly fine. I was expecting the tank to be all scratched up. But nope. Even the footpeg don't look like it even touched the ground, which im not sure how that was possible being that the gear shifter broke.
But the thing that bugs the hell out of me is I still have no idea what happened. I've taken that turn 100+ times before, all the same way. Ground was dry. My tires are new this season. I went back and walked the road, and didn't see anything that could have cause my to lose traction. So the only thing I could figure was that maybe the tires just were too cold and had no grip? But I've ridden before in colder weather and have had no issues. I've even gone around these roundabouts in rain too. So this is what worries me the most. I have no explanation for how the tires just went out from under me. Which is going to make me punchy the next time I get on it.
Was trying to remember what I was doing exactly. And per previous times going through, I usually just coast at that part. I'm not through the turn yet, so I don't really give it any gas until I straighten up, and I'm down in 2nd gear entering the round about and already slow enough that I don't need to use the brakes.
The ONLY thing I can think of is that maybe I was just going too slow, and that I laid the bike over just a tad too much while taking the turn? No idea.
But I'm safe, that's all the matters. Just a bruise on my right knee.

Dude. The exact same thing happened to me in my cul de sac, twice even. Going about 10mph, just laid down outta nowhere. Loose gravel and turning do not mix. But it turned me off of riding for rest of season. Hopefully I get my balls back for Christmas.

#834 4 years ago

Thing is, the loose gravel was not visible. Didn't see it. Even looking after the spill, very hard to see. Which has killed my confidence as a rider. What if I was doing 65mph and hit it?

#835 4 years ago

I have been riding over 45 years and have gone down twice at over 100 mph but I still ride. Stick with it, its just that much fun.

#836 4 years ago

Here is my bike. 2010 Yamaha WR450F. Up here in the great white north, and in the French speaking province, you have to donate a kidney and re-mortgage your house to get the motorcycle licence and to be able to afford the annual registration (plates) and insurance. They've been trying to weed out the young idiots by making it unaffordable. Hasn't worked but they weeded out the 50 year old dude who would love to ride in town and to go to work. So off-road only for me... The Kawa is also mine (2015 Kawasaki KX250F) but I let my son ride it lol.
WR450-1 (resized).jpgWR450-1 (resized).jpgCalabogie (resized).jpgCalabogie (resized).jpg20180514_143518 (resized).jpg20180514_143518 (resized).jpg

#837 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Dude. The exact same thing happened to me in my cul de sac, twice even. Going about 10mph, just laid down outta nowhere. Loose gravel and turning do not mix. But it turned me off of riding for rest of season. Hopefully I get my balls back for Christmas.

Yeah, cul de sac would probably have been similar to this roundabout. It's just fast enough to where you need to lean into it, but just slow enough that I guess you can lean too much. I've taken turns in the rain like I would if I was doing the "parking space" turn. Pretty much upright. Probably what I should have done here.

I'm about 80% sure that's what happened here + the cold tires (looking up info last night on what could have gone wrong, I guess a lot of people blame cold tires, but only because they didn't know they needed to change their riding style.)

This won't stop me from riding though. I know it was a fluke and wasn't enough to scare the $hit of me. Maybe if it was a close call on my life, maybe I'd quit while I was ahead. The thing I was most pissed about was that I wasn't able to continue and get my lunch pizza.

While the tow was picking me up, he was asking what happened. The roundabout happens to be right next to the high school, and he pointed out that a lot of the kids drive older cars that most likely drip oil and all of them drive through that roundabout. Which could also be the reason I have no problem with it during the summer, because school's out.

#838 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Thing is, the loose gravel was not visible. Didn't see it. Even looking after the spill, very hard to see. Which has killed my confidence as a rider. What if I was doing 65mph and hit it?

I kinda feel riding is like those F1 cars. Where if they go too slow, the fly off the corner. So in order to take turns, they have to be going fast.

I think I've hit some gravel going at least 40. The bike slides, but slides enough that it can still eventually find grip while you're maintaining the balance. But I feel if you go too slow, it's like slipping on gravel on your feet when you start to walk, you don't really have your balance under you.

Just need to go out and be confident with it. Thing I always try to keep in my mind when I ride is, the bike is able to do a lot, trust it.

#839 4 years ago

My '06 Super Glide. I've changed the seat and backrest, but other than that all stock.

IMG_6222 (resized).jpgIMG_6222 (resized).jpg
#840 4 years ago

I've always figured that if you want to make sure you don't come off then not getting on in the first place is the best way to do that.

Maybe that if you are having all these doubts it's not for you. If you're learning anything it takes a while to get good at it. Been riding road bikes for 40 years and hopefully i've got my spills learning pretty much done.
But i bought my first trail bike last year and it's spat me off 3 times pretty hard so far.

This stuff is just a part of the curve (so to speak

#841 4 years ago

Soon to be 4 Sale .
‘16 Yamaha V-Star 1300 Deluxe

540BAF4A-1D55-43E8-9C1E-77BFFDDDBA77 (resized).jpeg540BAF4A-1D55-43E8-9C1E-77BFFDDDBA77 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#842 4 years ago

Airheads

20180821_094827 (resized).jpg20180821_094827 (resized).jpg20190930_100306 (resized).jpg20190930_100306 (resized).jpg
#843 4 years ago

Just sold it Already miss it

'07 Road King (resized).png'07 Road King (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
4 months later
#844 3 years ago

Took mine out a couple times already, and man, I really wished I hadn't taken the spill I took my last ride of last year. Bike slid out from under me while doing 10mph+/- around a roundabout. Went around it the same way I had always done before. It was around 55 degrees outside and I've ridden in colder. So I really had no explanation as to why it went down. The only thing that could explain it was that I was only 5 minutes away from the house, so the tires may not have been warmed up, and I might have leaned just a tad too far for the speed.

But because of that, I've been extra cautious, and I hate it. Taking turns slower than normal, and making turns straighter. Cutting in tight and going out wide. i KNOW that with more speed I can lean into it, but it's just in my head. Hoping these short quick rides will get me feeling better and soon I'll forget all about it.

#845 3 years ago

3 of the 4. Rebuilding the engine in the one not shown- a Honda CB1100F.

Fleet (resized).jpgFleet (resized).jpg
#846 3 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Took mine out a couple times already, and man, I really wished I hadn't taken the spill I took my last ride of last year. Bike slid out from under me while doing 10mph+/- around a roundabout. Went around it the same way I had always done before. It was around 55 degrees outside and I've ridden in colder. So I really had no explanation as to why it went down. The only thing that could explain it was that I was only 5 minutes away from the house, so the tires may not have been warmed up, and I might have leaned just a tad too far for the speed.
But because of that, I've been extra cautious, and I hate it. Taking turns slower than normal, and making turns straighter. Cutting in tight and going out wide. i KNOW that with more speed I can lean into it, but it's just in my head. Hoping these short quick rides will get me feeling better and soon I'll forget all about it.

You indicated in your original post that your tires are new. You have to be extremely careful with new tires because of the mold release compound they use on them when they are manufactured. It makes them crazy slick.

Another thing people do is get a little further in a lean then they are comfortable with and chop the throttle. As soon as you cut the throttle going around a turn, you're done. The bike lifts up, you lose traction and bam, lowside. You actually need to accelerate into a turn. That compresses the suspension, pushing the tire into the pavement and giving you even more traction. Use of a rear brake in a turn can do the same thing.

A good bit of riding a motorcycle is really counter-intuitive.

#847 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

You indicated in your original post that your tires are new. You have to be extremely careful with new tires because of the mold release compound they use on them when they are manufactured. It makes them crazy slick.
Another thing people do is get a little further in a lean then they are comfortable with and chop the throttle. As soon as you cut the throttle going around a turn, you're done. The bike lifts up, you lose traction and bam, lowside. You actually need to accelerate into a turn. That compresses the suspension, pushing the tire into the pavement and giving you even more traction. Use of a rear brake in a turn can do the same thing.

Wiping down the tread area of new tires with lacquer thinner removes that slick crap and off you go.

#848 3 years ago

Rode down to post office to pick up my Titans yesterday.

9E316823-E40F-415C-A15F-8AF614F77ED5 (resized).jpeg9E316823-E40F-415C-A15F-8AF614F77ED5 (resized).jpeg
#849 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Wiping down the tread area of new tires with lacquer thinner removes that slick crap and off you go.

Does that seriously do it? If so, I need some lacquer thinner! I just got new tires and have been taking corners like I just started riding.

#850 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I really meant new as in not bald. They're about 3 years old now. I put about 1000-2000 miles on the bike every year. So basically like new. Also the point where I slid, I was still coasting, wasn't giving any throttle from what I remember. If I was, i wasn't in a point that i was ready to straighten out (meaning, gun it. Very controlled.). Was about 1/3 the way around the turn. Just think that I leaned into it too much with not enough speed on cold tires.

EDIT. because I kinda wanted to see for myself, here's a diagram of where I spilled. Green is the path and the path I was planning on taking. Red is where I started to notice it slipping and where the bike ended up.

Artboard 1 (resized).pngArtboard 1 (resized).png
There are 1,055 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-of-you-pinheads-have-a-motorcycle/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.