BC342764-24CB-490C-8C8B-FBEBD0A4AEAD (resized).jpeg
44939E7A-CA48-417B-8E10-6B1D269512DA (resized).jpeg
681F5139-7565-4887-A71F-DD73F2A3ABE8 (resized).jpeg
4A5AB2CA-1305-4E60-83B6-67CDA06440FF (resized).jpeg
ADF6631E-5EC3-4A8C-9388-7048F2183482 (resized).jpeg
20221015_151530 (resized).jpg
20221113_213826 (resized).jpg
20210805_171307 (resized).jpg
There are 1,055 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 22.
#451 6 years ago

20170707_151539 (resized).jpg20170707_151539 (resized).jpg

#452 6 years ago

Don't ya hate it when ya post something tied to the previous post but yer post makes it to the top of the next page and now makes no sense at all? That and run-on sentences. Hate em.

#453 6 years ago

That pic up there is missing something...hmm...

#454 6 years ago

Much better.
20170707_152844 (resized).jpg20170707_152844 (resized).jpg

#455 6 years ago

Just want to throw in my 2 cents here on safety. Over the years I had a couple things happen to me which demonstrate the vulnerability you experience on a motorcycle when shi# happens.

Sitting at stop light with a friend on the back waiting for a light change to cross a 4 lane road. My light turns green and I ease away from a stop then notice that a car approaching from my right does not appear to be stopping. I pull in the clutch and hesitate while that care flies right through the intersection right in front of me. My friend on the back happened to be looking to the left at the car skidding into us from that direction. We were broadsided by a 1962 Chevrolet Impala (Yes this one was a few years ago). I took the brunt of the hit to my left foot which in turn broke the engine case (Good thing I had boots on). We were thrown to the ground hard enough that it cracked my helmet. Cause of the accident? Failure of the Impala to treat an "out" stop light like a stop sign. My lights were working, but the cross lights weren't.....don't see that very often.

Fast forward to recent. On the Harley...Had been sitting waiting for a car to turn for what seemed like forever. Once the car turned, I'll admit I accelerated heavily...mostly to make noise...away only to come upon another car waiting to turn which resulted in me braking a little harder that I would have normally....here is the point of this mishap. Whenever you brake, you must always envision a way out or an escape. That thinking which is hardwired into me naturally caused me to veer towards the right shoulder as I braked. I stopped just fine, but I was close to the right edge of the lane... Then it happened. I hear this incredible crash behind me and reflex told me to flee. Once I heard the crash I took off around the car ahead of me. In those split seconds I felt a little nudge as I pulled away. It was the vehicle right behind me that got hit at about 35 mph. It was a newer Ford pickup with rounded bumpers and as it got hit forward...while I was pulling away, all that happened was that I had a turn signal knocked off.

So if I had not accelerated to make some noise, I might have ended up in the center of the lane and got sandwiched. I doubt I would have been hurt badly but my bike certainly would have been crunched.

So the piece of safety advice I will pass to this discussion...always, always know your escape route. On freeways, avoid center lanes. Right lane or left lane give you much better escape routes.

#456 6 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Just want to throw in my 2 cents here on safety. Over the years I had a couple things happen to me which demonstrate the vulnerability you experience on a motorcycle when shi# happens.
Sitting at stop light with a friend on the back waiting for a light change to cross a 4 lane road. My light turns green and I ease away from a stop then notice that a car approaching from my right does not appear to be stopping. I pull in the clutch and hesitate while that care flies right through the intersection right in front of me. My friend on the back happened to be looking to the left at the car skidding into us from that direction. We were broadsided by a 1962 Chevrolet Impala (Yes this one was a few years ago). I took the brunt of the hit to my left foot which in turn broke the engine case (Good thing I had boots on). We were thrown to the ground hard enough that it cracked my helmet. Cause of the accident? Failure of the Impala to treat an "out" stop light like a stop sign. My lights were working, but the cross lights weren't.....don't see that very often.
Fast forward to recent. On the Harley...Had been sitting waiting for a car to turn for what seemed like forever. Once the car turned, I'll admit I accelerated heavily...mostly to make noise...away only to come upon another car waiting to turn which resulted in me braking a little harder that I would have normally....here is the point of this mishap. Whenever you brake, you must always envision a way out or an escape. That thinking which is hardwired into me naturally caused me to veer towards the right shoulder as I braked. I stopped just fine, but I was close to the right edge of the lane... Then it happened. I hear this incredible crash behind me and reflex told me to flee. Once I heard the crash I took off around the car ahead of me. In those split seconds I felt a little nudge as I pulled away. It was the vehicle right behind me that got hit at about 35 mph. It was a newer Ford pickup with rounded bumpers and as it got hit forward...while I was pulling away, all that happened was that I had a turn signal knocked off.
So if I had not accelerated to make some noise, I might have ended up in the center of the lane and got sandwiched. I doubt I would have been hurt badly but my bike certainly would have been crunched.
So the piece of safety advice I will pass to this discussion...always, always know your escape route. On freeways, avoid center lanes. Right lane or left lane give you much better escape routes.

All 100% fact and I would also add; assume the cars around you do Not see you and they are Not paying attention! Also, like Freeplay notes, have a plan Before you need one. When you Think you have enough space around you or are following far enough find More space! Most all (except for improperly trained operators) motorcycle accidents are the fault or reaction to a poor cage (car) driver. Ride assuming they want to hit you and you’ll have a long riding carrier. Lol

#457 6 years ago

Let me say having toured most of Indiana from ommish shipshewana area to Jasper IN you sir have a beautiful property! Would Hate to maintain it but awesome none the less. Have many friends co-workers in the Avon, Cicero, and the Fishers/Carmel area. Ride safe, you can be cool and loud After you get off the bike!

#458 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

When you Think you have enough space around you or are following far enough find More space!

Indeed. Also, an emergency braking maneuvre on a motorcycle is always done after you stand the bike up. In other words, if you're turning and banking and the car in front of you slams its brakes, you first need to stand up the bike (go straight) then apply the brakes hard. This means that you need a LOT of room in order to be able to perform this. Tailgating a car in a long turn is a recipe for disaster.

(logic: if you're banking on a bike and you hit the brakes hard, you'll low-side)

#459 6 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Holy shiiiii......you are one lucky dude!

#460 6 years ago

Don't ride behind something you can't see through or easily around!

#461 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Holy shiiiii......you are one lucky dude!

OK...Here's the funny one. I was riding on the back of my friends bike (same guy in the accident above). We are approaching a sweeping turn and he decides to stand up, lean forward to see if the headlight is on. When he sits down, we are losing it on the curve...immediately to the left is a side street which he veered to....uh, didn't make that one either. We ended up nose diving into a ditch. I see it coming and jump up as did he. We both somersaulted into the brush....without so much as a scratch. Bike was dusted with the front wheel buried into the engine and a great big dent in the top of the gas tank that we never figured out how it happened.

As Yelobird says above about cars not seeing you. You will see a lot of those stop then start again then stop again. Sometimes I think it is a psychological thing. Cars respect cars and see them easily and really see and respect large vehicles like trucks. Motorcycles are little in comparison and I think just don't register as well.. So bottom line...figure everyone is going to pull out in front of you.

#462 6 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

OK...Here's the funny one. I was riding on the back of my friends bike (same guy in the accident above). We are approaching a sweeping turn and he decides to stand up, lean forward to see if the headlight is on. When he sits down, we are losing it on the curve...immediately to the left is a side street which he veered to....uh, didn't make that on either. We ended up nose diving into a ditch. I see it coming and jump up as did he. We both somersaulted into the brush....without so much as a scratch. Bike was dusted with the front wheel buried into the engine and a great big dent in the top of the gas tank that we never figured out how it happened.
As Yelobird says above about cars not seeing you. You will see a lot of those stop then start again then stop again. Sometimes I think it is a psychological thing. Cars respect cars and see them easily and really see and respect large vehicles like trucks. Motorcycles are little in comparison and I think just don't register as well.. So bottom line...figure everyone is going to pull out in front of you.

That's hilarious. Man I can't tell you how many times that I have escaped death on motorcycles and in cars from doing stupid shit. It used to be funny as hell and me and my DA friends would sit around and laugh about it, but that shit ain't funny anymore!

#463 6 years ago

Man, THANK YOU guys for all of the superb advice. Great thread! That's why I waited until I was 43 to buy one. I'm the guy that always uses turn signals, always looks 3 times, don't drink and drive ever, but none of that matters to some asshat on their phone not paying attention. EYES WIDE OPEN...HAVE AN ESCAPE ROUTE. Got it. Still don't see me leaving the neighborhood all summer...lol.

#464 6 years ago

And Yelo, anytime yer in Bloomington IN, please stop on in. Actually any and all of ya in here are welcome!
Will be having a party pretty soon, all y'all are invited. Trying to lock down a few bands to play as we speak. Gonna be a RAGER!

#465 6 years ago

And when I say RAGER, I mean all 10 of us will be RAGING.

#466 6 years ago

Out riding the little ankle biter today...

20170707_175535 (resized).jpg20170707_175535 (resized).jpg

#467 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Man, THANK YOU guys for all of the superb advice. Great thread! That's why I waited until I was 43 to buy one. I'm the guy that always uses turn signals, always looks 3 times, don't drink and drive ever, but none of that matters to some asshat on their phone not paying attention. EYES WIDE OPEN...HAVE AN ESCAPE ROUTE. Got it. Still don't see me leaving the neighborhood all summer...lol.

That's right.dude...ALWAYS an escape route!!! When you pull up behind a car leave enough room between you and him and watch your mirrors for some jackals not paying attention that's getting ready to plow into you!

When that idiot hit me, I was wanting to go back there and beat his ass so bad that I couldn't stand it but my body was wrecked and I just couldn't do it. Had just got the bike paid for and a week before put 1300 dollars of work into it. Lost all of that because of that idiot and by all rights I should have lost my life. I still have no idea how I survived that impact.

#468 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I've noticed I've been listening to a lot more Judas Priest since I bought this bike.
I'M​ HEADED OUT TO THE DRIVEWAY...

#469 6 years ago

Well Bengals you sound like a total pussy. You couldn't drag yerself back and with the one good arm bang him in his cocksucker a couple times?!
Guess you don't ride with this guy much...
12_40c.jpg12_40c.jpg

#470 6 years ago

But seriously, glad yer ok man. Yer guys stories are scaring me. No turning back now though.

#471 6 years ago
Quoted from grh450:

» YouTube video

HOLY SHIT that is KILLER.
As much of an audiophile as I am, a stereo would be a complete distraction that I won't be able to afford for atleast 10 years if ever. But I was thinking how cool a 6" bluetooth speaker in the back rest would be.

#472 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Well Bengals you sound like a total pussy. You couldn't drag yerself back and with the one good arm bang him in his cocksucker a couple times?!
Guess you don't ride with this guy much...

Haha.....my arms were like the only thing that WASN'T hurting. I'm not sure why I was such a puss that day really because getting plowed in the ass on a motorcycle by a Ford Taurus and smashed into another car is really not a big deal. You should try it sometime!

#473 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

But seriously, glad yer ok man. Yer guys stories are scaring me. No turning back now though.

I'm actually not ok, my spine is wrecked and I'm stiff as a board now, sciatic nerve pain occasionally shooting down my left leg and it feels like my leg is on fire, neck messed up, hips messed up, and who knows what else will become of it. I'm alive though and still riding so that's good!

I can still kick ass Gryszzz, I just have to get the job done in about the first 30 seconds or I will probably be in trouble!

#474 6 years ago

Haha! Me too! Cardio coming up... always tomorrow.

#475 6 years ago

Ill tell you a story about the only time I rode a bike messed up. I friend of mine for 18 years was dyeing of liver cancer. He was sick all the time and couldn't eat. He tried medication but it didn't work so he bought a huge bag of grass and pretty much smoked all day. It took away the pain and gave him an appetite. I went to visit him one day on the bike, I had owned my first motorcycle for about two months. He rolled a fattie, took a couple of hits off of it and passed it to me. I said no declined because I was on the bike but he said; "look man, Im dying and this may be the last time you see me alive, smoke a joint with me one last time". I really had no choice. This was medical grade pot and I am a lightweight. I took about 4 hits off that shit and I was plastered. Im really not sure how I made it home. I could not get the damn bike in neutral so I had to hold the clutch in the whole way. Everything was a blur and I found myself wondering how I got from one place to the next. I thought everyone was going to pull out in front of me so I wound up creeping down the road in 3rd gear hitting the brakes when a car pulled up on a side street. It was too weird and I never want to be wasted on a bike again. Stupid, yes but funny after the fact and funny to the person watching or hearing the story. My friend died a week later making that the last time I saw him alive.

#476 6 years ago

Damn. That's a heartbreaker ZR. This thread has the craziest stories...maybe I made a mistake. Everything is a joke to me...but this ain't no joke. This is life and death. Time to get a little serious.

#477 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Ill tell you a story about the only time I rode a bike messed up. I friend of mine for 18 years was dyeing of liver cancer. He was sick all the time and couldn't eat. He tried medication but it didn't work so he bought a huge bag of grass and pretty much smoked all day. It took away the pain and gave him an appetite. I went to visit him one day on the bike, I had owned my first motorcycle for about two months. He rolled a fattie, took a couple of hits off of it and passed it to me. I said no declined because I was on the bike but he said; "look man, Im dying and this may be the last time you see me alive, smoke a joint with me one last time". I really had no choice. This was medical grade pot and I am a lightweight. I took about 4 hits off that shit and I was plastered. Im really not sure how I made it home. I could not get the damn bike in neutral so I had to hold the clutch in the whole way. Everything was a blur and I found myself wondering how I got from one place to the next. I thought everyone was going to pull out in front of me so I wound up creeping down the road in 3rd gear hitting the brakes when a car pulled up on a side street. It was too weird and I never want to be wasted on a bike again. Stupid, yes but funny after the fact and funny to the person watching or hearing the story. My friend died a week later making that the last time I saw him alive.

Lol. Reminds me of a post I once used. "Drunk drivers drive through stop signs, High people wait for them to turn Green!"

#478 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Lol. Reminds me of a post I once used. "Drunk drivers drive through stop signs, High people wait for them to turn Green!"

Pretty much.

#479 6 years ago

I used to work with a mechanic that was a stoner back in the day. He said he smoked weed once before riding. He pulled in to a gas station, drove to the pumps, stopped, but didn't put his feet or kickstand down. He said he just tipped over and laid there laughing.

#480 6 years ago

Running chores on the scoot today...

20170708_133647 (resized).jpg20170708_133647 (resized).jpg

#481 6 years ago

Good idea to watch drivers in their own mirrors if possible. It gives you an edge to know what they have seen or their intentions are

#482 6 years ago
Quoted from kayakkingoz:

Good idea to watch drivers in their own mirrors if possible. It gives you an edge to know what they have seen or their intentions are

This is excellent advice and something I do all the time. Keep an eye on their head movements and their left hand going for the turn signal for a lane change.

Remember, your bike has sufficient power to get you out of trouble. Sometimes twisting the throttle is more effective than hitting the brakes.

In heavy traffic I like to stay higher in the RPM range than in light traffic. It keeps that power on tap in case I need it to get the hell out of the way.

People will run you down and not think twice about it.

#483 6 years ago

Something I learned a long time ago is if a car is on a side street or look like they are pulling out of somewhere watch their front tires. Which way are they pointing, are they slowly moving? The front tires give you a lot of info.

#484 6 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Keep an eye on their head movements and their left hand going for the turn signal for a lane change.

LOL. One thing I've learned here in Indy, it isn't about turn signals, or head movements, it's lane position. There are A LOT of drivers here who have the ultimate poker face when it comes to driving. They give no indication of what they are going to do. They don't use turn signals or even check around them to see if it's safe to move. They are only concerned about the one car in front of them. And I've learned how to pretty well pick up on those idiots who don't use the law, or common sense when they drive. If they are tailing someone too close, or are hugging the line, tapping their brakes too often, are constantly slowing down then speeding up, they are probably going to cut you off without even making a glance to see if it's safe to pass.

Quoted from Travish:

Something I learned a long time ago is if a car is on a side street or look like they are pulling out of somewhere watch their front tires. Which way are they pointing, are they slowly moving? The front tires give you a lot of info.

This is what I always look for when I go through an intersection, I'm most always looking at their front tire to see if it's moving. Best way to tell if a car is moving.

And it was about 10 years ago there was a politician in Iowa who was trying to get "Spinners" banned because he jack-knifed his truck and boat because he thought it looked like someone was about to blow through a red light. Turns out they were stopped, and their wheels were just spinning. Not sure what ever came of that, but it's been a long time since I've seen "Spinners."

#485 6 years ago

Mine. Probably won't get to ride it anymore this year due to surgery.

IMG_1317 (resized).JPGIMG_1317 (resized).JPG

#487 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Yep, I do this....

#488 6 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Mine. Probably won't get to ride it anymore this year due to surgery.

Sharp bike!

#489 6 years ago

Was way too late for this weeks class and this weekend is out so I can't take my class till 28th. Been kinda busy and won't get on bike after one drink. Maybe tomorrow...like cardio.

#490 6 years ago

Didn't realize how fast these classes fill up. All the ABATE classes in IN full all summer, Bloomington being the one exception.

#491 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Didn't realize how fast these classes fill up. All the ABATE classes in IN full all summer, Bloomington being the one exception.

When I signed up, the first available class was in late august, and it was currently March. Indy fills up. And then there's a group that shows up before everyone else on the first day in hopes to get in through on the standby list. Had no idea it was so popular.

#492 6 years ago

HOLY FREAKIN HELL...my boy ForensicD rode over today and GODDAMN WHERE IN THE FUCK HAVE I BEEN?!?!?!
Having Big D there made a Big Difference in my confidence, and today was THE DAY!!! THE DAY I REALIZED I NEVER WANNA STOP RIDIN THIS FVCKIN THING!!
Until today I was too chickenshit to even hit 2nd gear. UH-OH 2nd GEAR LOOK OUT...HERE COMES MOTHERVCKIN 3RD!!! Hit 45mph on a real freakin road.
NO WORDS FOR THIS FEELING I JUST DISCOVERED! Only a magnificent orgasm tops this.
Seriously feel like I've just been reborn.
Rode most of the day, peelin away those fears, but at dusk it's time for a beer.
SALUT MOTHERFVCKERS!
THANKS FOR COMING BY HOMEBOY...LIFE CHANGER TODAY!!!
LIFE IS GOOD!
WOOOO!
20170715_124213 (resized).jpg20170715_124213 (resized).jpg

#493 6 years ago

Yeah our bikes look like they're goin to the Daddy/Daughter Dance...ioncare.
#whyyesthisactuallyismy1strodeo

#494 6 years ago

Me and Chris ridin today...
d4734f975665935a3d049687fc0370b2d24fd6576a06d6759e996d2b9af3ec16 (resized).jpgd4734f975665935a3d049687fc0370b2d24fd6576a06d6759e996d2b9af3ec16 (resized).jpg

#495 6 years ago

Lol great post Gryszz, gave me a good laugh reading that and I know EXACTLY where you are coming from and how you are feeling. Don't be embarrassed by the sportster either Gryszz because they are cool and a great bike to learn how to ride on also. Put a year or two on the Sporty and then go sign on the dotted line for a brand new Street Glide! They are great around town bikes and a bike that you can take a trip on also if you wish.

Be careful and keep the rubber on the road!

#496 6 years ago

Was able to sign up for this weekends class too. Was debating putting it off because it's Brickyard weekend here coming up. But not now. Top priority.

#497 6 years ago

Thanks Bengals! On cloud 9...wish I was riding right now! Probably need to slow down and keep my head on straight...but right now I'm just freakin pumped.
We'll be ridin together soon brother!

#498 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Thanks Bengals! On cloud 9...wish I was riding right now! Probably need to slow down and keep my head on straight...but right now I'm just freakin pumped.
We'll be ridin together soon brother!

I'm ready, and I'm only about 2.5 hours from Indy!

#499 6 years ago

My babies... recently completed restoring a '72 CT70, and my KTM Freeride 250r

CT70 (resized).jpgCT70 (resized).jpg
20170716_073239 (resized).jpg20170716_073239 (resized).jpg

#500 6 years ago

My BMW R1150GS Adventure.

IMG_0853 (resized).JPGIMG_0853 (resized).JPG

There are 1,055 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-of-you-pinheads-have-a-motorcycle/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.