(Topic ID: 205822)

How many of you host a holiday party? What’s your game prep?

By Fortytwo

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CC7742E9-2109-4EE2-A2F0-20E6CD5F062F (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpeg
    002C64EC-ED34-4DF8-9C05-0754FA3A30CA (resized).jpeg
    #1 6 years ago

I’m in midst of game prep for a NYE party. The standard clean wax and level. Who else is in holiday party mode. Anything special Arcade you guys do?

#2 6 years ago

I just cleaned the glass and a few wipes with novus 1. My Games are typically always set up and ready to play.

#3 6 years ago

Clean the glass, take them off free play and make sure the coin mechs are all in order.

#4 6 years ago

That’s good. When’s your party?

I see it as a good time to replace those few parts I collected. That aren't critical. Also batteries.

Quoted from o-din:

Clean the glass, take them off free play and make sure the coin mechs are all in order.

I am working on putting all mine on token. So kind of that.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fortytwo:

When’s your party?

Tomorrow actually. Got a 5 bone prime rib and two racks of baby backs to go on the Traeger, and reality is I'm lagging behind getting them all to work taking coins, but I guess if I need a New Years resolution, that would be a good one for sure.

#6 6 years ago

Do you have your guests quarter up? Or use house coins/tokens?
    I use tokens. Kind of a popularity meter. But need to make good cards for freeplay vs tokens. In case I don’t get them all switched. And I have 3 Games from a friend I am not converting over.

#7 6 years ago

I have a few games that take coins now, but it's been my goal to get them all to. Many of the older machines have long since had their coin doors hacked, but I have been collecting up parts along the way. It's my brother and his family coming tomorrow so I suppose I won't try to get rich off them.

#8 6 years ago

We have a big Christmas party every year. Just clean all the glass and flip away with some beer and homemade egg nog.

#9 6 years ago

Pretty much just clean the glass and get out of my nieces and nephew’s way.

002C64EC-ED34-4DF8-9C05-0754FA3A30CA (resized).jpeg002C64EC-ED34-4DF8-9C05-0754FA3A30CA (resized).jpeg

#10 6 years ago

Running a NYEE tournament. So making all the games slightly harder and taking all extra balls off. Also fixing all those small issues I have been ignoring for ages

#11 6 years ago

Prep and more prep!

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#12 6 years ago

Odin, what’s the point in making your guests pay to play? Keeps them from abusing the games and spamming the start button?

I’ve been tuning up my games the last couple days. Changed out the balls and gave them all a good waxing. Last year I hosted a tournament on NYE. It’d be nice to have another. We used brackelope, and it worked well.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Odin, what’s the point in making your guests pay to play?

I have guests that have asked me to put my games on coin play. I think when you put money in, you tend to take each game and ball more seriously. And then it's more rewarding when you win a replay. Just like playing on location.

When I read about people that have a bad ball one and start the game over, I just shake my head sometimes.

Plus it isn't like these machines were free or maintain them selves.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

We used brackelope, and it worked well.

+1 for Brackelope...havent used it for a while but if you make each machine a "venue" it does it all for you.

#15 6 years ago

When I'm having a gathering, or hosting league I like to bring a friend over a week before. I then have him be completely fussy and look for any issues with a critical eye. We usually come up with a list of any tiny issues, and I fix them all over the last week.

#16 6 years ago

DaveH Good idea.
    I put post it notes on all the Games glass. Write down minor issues and remove when all solved. Of course there’s always a part in the coin box that can be replaced.

I like I use tokens. They are free and out there. But gives a certain value to the coin drop. When your out you have to go to the dispenser and get more.

#17 6 years ago

Turn on all the machines and wait for guests to tell me which game has a ball stuck or is broken in some way.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I have guests that have asked me to put my games on coin play. I think when you put money in, you tend to take each game and ball more seriously. And then it's more rewarding when you win a replay. Just like playing on location.
    When I read about people that have a bad ball one and start the game over, I just shake my head sometimes.
    Plus it isn't like these machines were free or maintain them selves.

Wait... So you really make family pay to play??

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You're joking right?
    X-mas party with kids looking at grandpa getting a free game.

#20 6 years ago

I don't do much for the NYE party/tournament. They're all set up for State Finals on January 20th so I'm not planning on setting them back to anything easier. Just clean them a bit is all.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Wait... So you really make family pay to play??

It was a thought because I was the one making dinner and if I had I would have maybe 500-1000 in the till. But I like to see them getting played and they did. Big Daddy probably had 200 plays alone. And Earthshaker was a crowd favorite. All in all a good day.

Merry Christmas!

#22 6 years ago

I usually do a big New Years eve party. Clean glass, quick wax if it hasn't been done in awhile. Install mods that I have been procrastinating on. If I have time I write down # of plays so I can see which games got the most at the end.

#23 6 years ago

Some rearranging and move the treadmill out this afternoon.

#24 6 years ago

I have about 1/4 of the games prepped. Keep getting distracted by Christmas.

#25 6 years ago

Just whipped up some instructions. The biggest complaint in the past was “ I don’t know whatbones need tokens. So I will place one of these under the glass of every game.

CC7742E9-2109-4EE2-A2F0-20E6CD5F062F (resized).jpegCC7742E9-2109-4EE2-A2F0-20E6CD5F062F (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-of-you-host-a-holiday-party-what%e2%80%99s-your-game-prep?hl=niterider and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.