(Topic ID: 43188)

How many of you guys started out by tellng your wife, im just buying this one !

By golfingdad1

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by txstargazer3
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

tattoo.jpg
    growing_a_pair.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Just Curious ?

#2 6 years ago

Never had to. Marriage is about compromise.

#3 6 years ago

I have said it to my wife. However, it's not so much saying I was going to buy just one. It was more like saying "This will be the last one". She laughs and say's "Whatever".

#4 6 years ago

Its just way way easier asking for forgiveness than asking for permission.

#5 6 years ago

It starts with -we will just buy one-then it turns into...but baby it keeps me out of bars or doing bad things...then it is -hey babe this is a great deal-we need this one-then by the forth or fifth she is on board and gets as excited as you do.

#6 6 years ago

space is my main limitation not my wife

#7 6 years ago

Space and Forgiveness yes...maybe space wins because you can ask for forgiveness after its in the space ???

JBA

#8 6 years ago

Me in November. Now I have 4 in 4 months. Well one went to her place of work. I am probably done for awhile...yea right.

#9 6 years ago

Guilty

#10 6 years ago

I said "I am buying one" but I never used the word "just"

f-14 led the pack

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from maddog14:

Its just way way easier asking for forgiveness than asking for permission.

This man speaks the truth, especially if you have guests/family over and everyone enjoys the pins.

#12 6 years ago

Funny picked up my first pin last week, actually under the precursor/agreement that it was for my brother and we would see how it looked in the house. THANK GOD for forgivenness. My wife not aPinball fan is being cool , and let me say we have room for maybe one machine in the house. ALthough i am looking for ONE nice pin for the space previously mentioned, the forgivneess shall come later,my brother better come get this one soon !!!!!

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Funny picked up my first pin last week, actually under the precursor/agreement that it was for my brother and we would see how it looked in the house. THANK GOD for forgivenness. My wife not aPinball fan is being cool , and let me say we have room for maybe one machine in the house. ALthough i am looking for ONE nice pin for the space previously mentioned, the forgivneess shall come later,my brother better come get this one soon !!!!!

Get a Scared Stiff or something you think she might like - that was my wife's favorite pin for years and years if you can believe it - it is noob-friendly. Owning pins is like dealing with kids who are too cool to tell you what they really like because that's just uncool.

Your wife acts like she isn't interested and might yell at you sometimes but when you try to sell a game it's like "oh, honey, don't sell XYZ pin, I know you really like it". That's code for "Honey, I like XYZ pin too but don't want you to know that". Then you keep it and buy another game. This starts the cycle.

#14 6 years ago

SWEET INFO

#15 6 years ago

I never told her anything elaborate. I just bought a pinball machine. I pay all the bills, she keeps her money and does whatever she wants with it. I don't feel the need to explain anything. Games are always coming and going here, she has say in what I sell because she plays them as much as I do, but I buy what I want. Keep in mind I never took out a loan for a game. It's a game, none are worth a second mortgage.

#16 6 years ago

This is the last one I promise .........

#17 6 years ago

The game your looking for TSPP which appears next to your name I think I have seen for sale on CL up my way if I remember correctly in the past. Yes I said just one and only have one so far. Someday I always want more and more.

#18 6 years ago

i know wes has a tspp that he is taking to zapcon...any one going ?

#19 6 years ago

shoot me info if u have regarding tspp, thanks

#20 6 years ago

Why should a person need "forgiveness" for spending his or her money on something that interests them?

#21 6 years ago

My line is, Honey this is such a good deal!! I am sure I will never find this good of a deal ever again!! I still use it but now she just laughs. Recently I have started using the line, I am buying the games for my boys (5 and 3 years old!!)

#22 6 years ago

This has always puzzled me! Why are so many ( so called men) afraid of their wives. I've been to many homes to buy pinball machines over the last 12 years. Usually it was a man selling a pin because the wife is making him. WTF when did you marry your mother?, we're grown men, grow a set and buy what you want, as long as the bills and necessities are paid what's the problem. Do you think the money is better spent on nails,hair,shoes,and clothes.

#23 6 years ago

My wife thought it was going to be one.. bought the 2nd one because it was a theme she liked, then it was downhill from there (gives her a good story to tell friends at least). Also anytime she brings it up, all I have to say is "I've never lost money on a pin, and usually I make money". Not a lot of hobbies you can say match that. Every game system I've ever bought lost big time money, every piece of technology I've ever bought loses money.

#24 6 years ago

Went from one, to three, to five, to 10, to 12, to 13, to 15, to 16 to 17...

Now I told her I would max out at 20......

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Went from one, to three, to five, to 10, to 12, to 13, to 15, to 16 to 17...
    Now I told her I would max out at 20......

Your the reason there's nothing left for the rest of us!

#26 6 years ago

my wife wants me to be happy... once i told her i was going to get into pinball, she suggested it would be ok if i filled an entire room with them if i wanted...

i suppose that's the advantage of not being a neanderthal ("grow a pair"... really?) and having 20 some odd years of open communication and a desire to make each other as happy as possible...

you reap what you sow... viewing your significant other as a partner in your life rather than an adversary goes a long way...

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colehvac1:

This has always puzzled me! Why are so many ( so called men) afraid of their wives. I've been to many homes to buy pinball machines over the last 12 years. Usually it was a man selling a pin because the wife is making him. WTF when did you marry your mother?, we're grown men, grow a set and buy what you want, as long as the bills and necessities are paid what's the problem. Do you think the money is better spent on nails,hair,shoes,and clothes.

Are you married-or divorced and single. That statement is kinda sexist. I wear the pants in my house-but happy wife=happy life. I did not get married to be a one man show. My wife is great and supports me no matter what. Sometimes she saves me from being stupid with our money-this is a good thing. Guys listen to me-it is better to be respectful of your wives and be honest-it will get you what ever you want. My-.02

#28 6 years ago

Actually I told my pins I'm only getting one wife...does that count?

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

("grow a pair"... really?)

A pair only costs a few bucks and is needed for multi-ball, but who grows them?

#30 6 years ago

Initially, I thought I only need one. The guy I bought it from said "Hey, these things are like Lays potato chips, you can't have just one." I thought he was joking as he had other machines for sale. Little did either my wife or I know what we were in for. It makes me wonder what things would have been like if I hadn't felt inspired to own "a" pinball machine.
    Alex

#31 6 years ago

I said that 3 months ago... now buying a 2nd one

#32 6 years ago

i said the same thing, started with a showtime DK Jr standup, a month later i had 5 vintage arcade machines, then a guy emailed me about a beat BK while i was in mexico, and now i have 3 vintage SS pins, and i'm going to pull the trigger on a newer style dm tonight, i got the same " when is it gonna end" convo also. i told her never, the reason we work is for life experience and possessions.i want to do and have cool things , and i dont have any vices or bad habits. she then told me to get my shop built this spring and i can do whatever i want, her only real concern is i am going to take the basement over and man cave it out from wall to wall. so next few days my contractor is coming over for a deposit to start on my 2400 sq ft shop ( with 1200 sq ft mezzanine and roof top patio) of mega man cave awesomeness!!

#33 6 years ago

I said that just four months ago and fully intended on sticking to the one for a while... I guess a while is defined as 6 weeks and now I just purchased my third. This disease is contagious and cannot easily be kept in check and definitely never cured.

#34 6 years ago

I never said anything. Just brought one home one day & BAM!!! Now they consume my life!!!

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from justonemore:

space is my main limitation not my wife

+1

#36 6 years ago

we're grown men, grow a set and buy what you want, as long as the bills and necessities are paid what's the problem. Do you think the money is better spent on nails,hair,shoes,and clothes.

I was bringing home a new pin a week for the first 3 weeks when I first broke into this hobby and you can see my first year in review with my infamous brother in-law flipping me the bird every time I call to help me move a pin down my really right basement stairs.

growing_a_pair.jpg

My wife never really had a problem and I know better then to buy a pin that will put out family in debt or affect our lifestyle. I think as long as I respect this and keep my hobby contained in my little game room and do not over flow into other parts of the house she is happy. I told her I could put one in hear salon area outside my game room and could make money while her customer's highlights or perm sets in and split 50/50 profit with her

In regards to growing a pair I think most of us have some pretty big balls from some of the collections I have seen I think the key here is to be open and communicate with your wife and always respect each other. I always assure my wife that all my pinball purchases are good deals and worst case I can always get every penny out. She doubted me at first because she thinks any hobby whether it be pinballs, cars, etc... you always lose when you sell. I proved this to her because I did come across a few good deals in the past and once sold a pin and used the profits to fund the purchase of a new leather sofa set. Hell once I even leverage a tattoo of our daughter's name on her shoulder in a pinball trade cause the guy owned a tattoo and piercing shop.

tattoo.jpg

I was a bit worried because I thought I might have set a new standard meaning new pin = new tattoo for her lol

#37 6 years ago

My wife is the more sensible of the two of us, and I respect the fact that, while she is extremely tolerant of my hobbies, she doesn't want me to overspend. Also, she spends little on herself. I am usually the one who has to buy her something nice. We've been happily married for 31 years, and I wouldn't trade her for a thousand pinball machines. A great lady.

I started out thinking maybe two or three machines would do it. I have filled the available space with seven. I've had to sell two to make room, and I am at the point where I really don't want to sell anything that is left. I am sure this is a very common scenario. There are two or three other pins I'd like to get, but I have no idea where I'd put them.

#38 6 years ago

My wife and I discuss pins and make decisions together. She enjoys pinball and we can usually find common ground when it comes to buying or ordering pins. It's no different than the way we go about any major purchase. We figure it out together. It has worked for us for 39 years of marriage so far.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Never had to. Marriage is about compromise.

so now i can have 1-1/2?

#40 6 years ago

My wife is no 1950s "take-whatever-he-says-and-shut-up-about-it" type of wife. It is not a dictatorship. If I am going to have $10,000 - $20,000 tied up in pins, I need some support from her even though she has minimal interest in the games. Gotta stick together.

#41 6 years ago

My husband was excited when I ordered up the first machine, after consulting with him to see what we'd both like (and could afford.) Then I immediately starting picking out spots for more machines. He is more into electronics and I always give him a hard time about spending money on the "new latest greatest thing" but basically he gets what he wants. I always make sure to earn 'brownie points' (which he calls pinball points) by getting him cool things like Apple products and the latest gaming systems. He's got a list of pins he wants now too though, so I'm making progress on converting him over to the pin side. lol

I feel sorry for guys that are scared of their wives and/or don't communicate with them. Husband and I are partners. We support each other, and basically get what we want as long as it isn't a financial strain. We consult each other on huge purchases, but don't have to "ask permission."

Also, I'm just curious... how much money do your wives spend on manicures, pedicures, purses, and clothes? I'm honestly curious, because to me that amount would be a small fraction of the amount of money that some of you guys spend on pinballs in a year. I'm apparently not a very good example of a female because there's no way I spend more than $50/year getting pedicures and rarely shop for new clothes unless they are on crazy sale/discount, and don't think there's any way that I could spend the money on one decent DMD pin in a year on girly things if I tried.

#42 6 years ago

At the old house one was all I could fit. When we found the current house I was standing in the designated game room and said, "The pool table (that we didn't have yet, but both wanted one) can go here, and 4 pins will fit on that wall." So that's my self imposed limit, inside the house. For now, just Mario Bros is up and running, but Joust should be in the house before the end of summer.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Are you married-or divorced and single. That statement is kinda sexist. I wear the pants in my house-but happy wife=happy life. I did not get married to be a one man show. My wife is great and supports me no matter what. Sometimes she saves me from being stupid with our money-this is a good thing. Guys listen to me-it is better to be respectful of your wives and be honest-it will get you what ever you want. My-.02

It's not kinda sexist,saying you wear the pants is more sexist than my statement. I've been married for twelve years and we've lived together for almost 15 so that theory is out the window, also she has a masters so sh is very smart. She is smart enough to know if it makes me happy then it's fine with her and vice versa.i wear the pant in my house is not respectful.

#44 6 years ago

Respect your wife, but don't be a door mat. I don't have to lie about what I'm going to buy, because she knows I wouldn't purchase anything that was not easily within our discretionary budget.

#45 6 years ago

In my case, my wife bought me my first pin for my birthday.

#46 6 years ago

At the time I got my first, my brother already had 10 or more pins. Brought it home and my wife said, "you don't want a house full of those games like your brother, do you?" I looked her straight in the eyes and said, "Of course, not." My current collection is @25+- pins.

Shortly thereafter, we instituted a "don't ask don't tell" policy with regards to... Pin prices and cosmetics/shoes prices.

Mark

wvpinball.com

#47 6 years ago

Did not even attempt it. She knows how I am with everything in life. All in or fold.

#48 6 years ago

She bought the first two. I had to work. She went with pinhead friends on a raid.

Next raid I wanted to buy one or two more. She wanted more, so 3 of us split 40 pins and we ended up with 13 of those.

25 years later it's all good

#49 6 years ago

Once you get past the second one its gravy...

#50 6 years ago

My wife was all for having one pin. Then she saw WOZ and suddenly two pins seemed reasonable. Now, as a dedicated and loving husband I felt obligated to make her happy by preordering a WOZ ECLE. Three would definitely be too many, she said. Then she heard Jack was making The Hobbit. Yep, I once again proved how much I love her by preordering that one too. The things we do for love.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 221.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 19.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 29.25
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 30.00
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside