(Topic ID: 14968)

How many of you desire to find machines from your childhood?

By the96stang

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Drano
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How many of you desire to find machines from your childhood/Teen years?”

• I design my whole collection around my childhood 6 votes
      8%
    • About half of my games are from my childhood 13 votes
      18%
    • One or two are from my childhood 45 votes
      62%
    • None! They are too old! 9 votes
      12%

(73 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Line_Drive__.jpg
    Line_Drive_.jpg
    Line_Drive.jpg

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Its quite a simple question really. I know that a few of my games only stick around because they are from my childhood. (Globetrotters, Millionare, Another one Im picking up Saturday(knock on wood)!)

#2 11 years ago

Nope. That would mean buying pins like Black Hole...not necessarily a bad pin, but they usually aren't in good shape and seem to need fixing on a regular basis.

#3 11 years ago

I WANT games from my childhood, but I HAVE none!

#4 11 years ago

My first pin was nostalgic, from my childhood. Also happens to be my favorite pin to play.

The rest of them have been a mix of "Ooo! thats neat/cool/awesome/hillarious/whatever" and nostalgic memories. And most overall decisions end up being decided on weather or not I can enjoy the game with my son or not.

eg. One of the reasons I do not own SP.

#5 11 years ago

My first pin was one from my childhood--Paragon...

#6 11 years ago

I have figured out that most of what I do is acquiring the things I wanted when I was 16.

5 of my pins are games I played the hell out of when I was a kid.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Nope. That would mean buying pins like Black Hole...not necessarily a bad pin, but they usually aren't in good shape and seem to need fixing on a regular basis.

I wonder if Sys80's get an unnecessary bad rap... I found a BH that needed shopping but it had mylar the whole time so the playfield was pretty nice. I got the recommended mods all done, and it's a very nice machine that's run error-free for years at this point. You can buy repro boards for them if you run into real issues.

You shouldn't let rumors and hear-say keep you from something you want.

#8 11 years ago

I can't remember any specific game titles from my childhood! I do remember playing plenty of EMs at the bowling alley, but no game titles come to mind. I do remember (barely)when I turned 21 back in 89, there was a Williams Cyclone that I played the hell out of at one of my favorite bars. So when it came time to pick up my first solid state pin, it had to be Cyclone. Still love it and it will never leave.

#9 11 years ago

I finally figured out the pinball machine my aunt and uncle have and it's called Mibs. I wouldn't mind having one some day. But it's not at the top of my list.

#10 11 years ago

I don't know what to put. Got JP because when I first got into pinball, it was THE game that got me into pinball, and I still love it. I remember saying when I did that I was one day going to buy one for myself. Loved NBAFB on route, got one of those too. Bought PinBot because I used to LOVE the NES game. Got Whirlwind because I vaguely remember *not* playing it as a kid at Disney World.

Beyond those, I generally get stuff because it synchs up with the gameplay style that I like. Bonus when the two overlap. I'll often discover what I like in a way that is memorable -- a lot of my favorite games, I discovered in tournaments or whatever. I think it's the coolest when the machine has a story behind it. One of my favorite things is my arcade Ms. Pac-Man, because I got it from the owner of an arcade that I worked at for restoring his other one off the clock. I restored it, and it looks wonderful. I saw the other one that I did that was in the arcade not too long ago, and it was on route for another 10 years after I restored it, and it still looked great. Made me feel good

#11 11 years ago

The games from my childhood that I now own are both video arcade games: Berzerk and Time Traveler. The only pins I played as a kid (that I can remember) were Funhouse and Dr. Dude, but I don't really have any desire to own either of them.

I didn't really get into pins until about ten years ago. CFTBL, TAF, IJ, and MB were the ones that grabbed me. I've owned the first two, and now own a MB. My best friend owned an IJ, so I got my fix on that one.

#12 11 years ago

My only real memory is of pitch and bat games at the bowling alley back in the late 60's/early 70's.

In hindsight, since my family has always been baseball fans, maybe that is why I was allowed to play the P&B game and not too many traditional pinballs. My parents probably thought that was much more wholesome than those evil pinball machines with the gambling connotations and the sexy girls on the glass.

When I was a bit of an older teenager in the mid 70's, my Dad did buy a Brunswick home pinball for the basement gameroom, and I do remember playing that a lot. (not looking for one though!). My Dad was cool, I miss him.

Anyway - today I like the newer stuff, not the older stuff. I'll just enjoy the great memories of the old machines and what *I* think is the better play of the newer machines.

#13 11 years ago

i have two BK2K and BoP. even though i like them both, i would rather have some of the later 90's williams or the newer stern. After playing LotR or TSPP i feel that BK2K and BoP are just slow. maybe i have been spoiled, but i think they were more fun when i was a kid because they were the new pins that were out.

#14 11 years ago

I got to play Mata Hari a couple of weeks ago..... having not played it in 35 years! Turns out my memory was better than the reality. Still fun. Hey, it's pinball. But I prefer LOTR, TZ, IM, ACDC, etc.
    The oldies are still good tho. Had a riot scoring 3,774 points on Gottlieb Melody recently! Schooled it!

#15 11 years ago

I do, anyone selling a Gottlieb Tag Team Pinball?

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from DEVILinIRON:

I finally figured out the pinball machine my aunt and uncle have and it's called Mibs. I wouldn't mind having one some day. But it's not at the top of my list.

Not sure if its still there, but I saw one on ebay on monday of this week. Looked nice condition.. No clue on other details.. Sorry!

#17 11 years ago

i have 2 pins so far and both from my childhood, everything on my wishlist is from that era as well....
    I don't mind EM games at all, but not really in a rush to buy any at this time. Same thing goes for most of the recent games I dont have a huge connection with them and some are lots of fun but i want to re-create the more memorable pins from my preteen/teenage years (late 80's early 90's) first before i buy any EM's ..besides the pins i own NBA JAM/NFL Blitz and World Series 1999 arcade games...those are fun to me and i am debating selling for pins, but can't let go because of their point in time reference to all the players in that era...fun to go back to those days...and play against some of my buddies over beers when they come over.

#18 11 years ago

The only game I had that was from my childhood was my upright Tron arcade game, which I just sold to a buddy a couple of months ago. Oddly enough a bunch of his games were from my childhood, but now none of my own.

#19 11 years ago

The first pins that I bought were the early ss's I played at Aladdin's Castle back in the late 70's.
    Tri Zone, Lost World, Phoenix, Playboy. I still have 3 of them and sold the other to another Pinsider. I got hooked on TOM at the arcade as well and that was the first dmd machine I picked up. I still love the early ones but dont play them as much. I do however, make friends settle disputes by battling it out on one of them. Old school playground-style.

#20 11 years ago

I played quite a bit of pinball at bowling alleys, pool halls and arcades from the early to late 70's. I then rediscovered pinball about 4 years ago. Spent a ton of time on IPDB seeing all those old titles I'd long forgotten. Then I discovered DMDs and later SS machines and the rest is history. There are 1 or 2 GTB wedgehead titles I'd make space for if I could locate nice specimens. It's tough when 8 is the limit and you have A and B listers on the brain.

#21 11 years ago

Jungle Princess for me.Its what got me started.Been hooked ever since.Scott

#22 11 years ago

I don't have any from my young/first playing days. Although my brother has a HS whcih is pretty close. Centaur & Gamatron are the very first i can remember.

#23 11 years ago

Mine was fish tales. Had it at 7 eleven. Just got one a month ago. Better then I remember

#24 11 years ago

I don't have any now.Anybody have an Aztec or Traildrive from the 70's?

#25 11 years ago

I did - JP came home. F14 will come home as dad used to say "We're gonna get it, Miah - we will!" and it never happened. I've played it, and while it isn't as intense as the others I have, I will get it simply to "close that door." AFM is the final "childhood" game - when it comes back down to like $3k-$4k, which prolly won't happen .

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from Foo:

So when it came time to pick up my first solid state pin, it had to be Cyclone

Second that. At this very moment my 7 year old daughter is playing Cyclone. As soon as the basement is finished - just need to paint and carpet - Cyclone, TAF and a 16 foot ball bowler are going in. Yes, all games from different points in my childhood.

The ball bowler from a department store when I was 4, Cyclone was Middle School years, TAF was in an ice cream parlor that my brother worked in High School.

Played the hell out of Taxi, Who Dunnit, and some others as a kid. Never really played TZ much, but I really want one now.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from scooter:

I don't have any now.Anybody have an Aztec or Traildrive from the 70's?

Saw an aztec on CL round here 2 days ago.

#28 11 years ago

I've pretty much done exactly this..

1st pin was Space Shuttle. I didn't remember the game visually at ALL...I was born in 81', but once I looked it up on Youtube the sound...holy crap that took me right back to my early arcade years.

Picked up a Pinbot for 200, that was a dream find, and a grail.. I spent a stupid amount of time playing the NES Pinbot as a kid, never could find the actual pinball game, then stumbled on this working pinbot at a garage sale for 200.. talk about a coronary find. Ended up selling it to pay for...

STTNG. Played it in an arcade when I would go to visit relatives. It was located in a FEC in Oklahoma City area called "Perfect Swing" (They had a golf driving range go figure..). Played the TAR out of that game to the point it was the only thing I spent tokens on when we went there, and usually spent hours at a time on the machine upstairs in blissful pinball solitude. Picked one up right after TPF for 1400, 95% working. Needs some minor fixes and the GI connectors repinned to get it back up to spec, but it plays great and is loads of fun.

#29 11 years ago

I have bought a couple I played in arcades and one that I played in college (SuperSonic). I find myself trading these games out for newer machines...but I always seem to miss them when they go.....

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonogo:

Not sure if its still there, but I saw one on ebay on monday of this week. Looked nice condition.. No clue on other details.. Sorry!

Thanks for the info, but all the prices seem a bit high coming from that dealer. $1100 for a Blue Chip and 2k for a Middle Earth?

#31 11 years ago

I chased alot of Vids from memories, and ended up selling most of them - they didnt hold up like i thought they would. Only a Beautiful Star Wars cockpit from 83 and a Dragons Lair remain, they are the ones that that will stay for as long as i can keep them.

On the pin side, only TZ. Everything else i recall doesnt hold up. But TZ - man this game is timeless, and no matter what comes my way, TZ will be here. Its the best one i've ever played.

#32 11 years ago

I would like every late 80's and early 90's game I remember, but probably couldn't afford it / have the room, so I'm going to have to be picky because I want new DMD games too.

#33 11 years ago

I like the newer stuff too, but there is at least 2 or 3 from the mid/late 80's I would buy if the deal was right. (The Getaway, F-14 etc) Thats also the oldest I'd though.

#35 11 years ago

The game I had to have from my childhood days was a Gottlieb em wedgehead - '65 Kings and Queens. I would go to the snack bar at the local bowling alley and pull a stool about 50 feet and place in front of the game and then climb up on to play it. As long as I had dimes to feed it, I was happy. The year was 1968............

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from Bigpin:

Only a Beautiful Star Wars cockpit from 83

I am very jealous...
    All the vector games I got to play back then were just the standard upright versions.
    Five years ago I finally got to sit in a "decent" SW cockpit and had a blast! I could only imagine the nerdgasm of having a HUO, or restored version.

As for the machines I played in my youth only Pin*Bot takes top billing. (A Space Shuttle might work too...)
    GL is finally a reality so it doesn't count but, man- if I could score a decent Pin*Bot with the new CPR PF, I would be a very happy camper!

#37 11 years ago

Yes, that is how you would descibe my collection.
    Games from when i was a young teenager

I know alot of people do not like CE3K, but that was the sys1 that i played back in the day
    I would prefer a Pharoh over the Black Knight, and i am waiting for the day i find a stern catacomb in good condition

6 out of my 29 games would be in the 'played as a kid' group

#38 11 years ago

Rollergames started it all for me. 1990 I was 10 years old.

#39 11 years ago

My first pin, Bally Star Trek, is from my teenage years, 15 turning 16, summer of 1980.
    Check that one of the bucket list.

#40 11 years ago

I would love to get a TZ and CFTBL and my childhood would be complete.

#41 11 years ago

The first machine I ever owned BK was from my childhood. Many I want now are frome my late teens

#42 11 years ago

yep, i just want one : LOST WORLD... if you got this NIB than email me

#43 11 years ago

I've got all the games I loved from my childhood, and many of the others I would have loved had I actually found them on location...!!

That's not especially because they were from my childhood though, but simply because I still love them...

#44 11 years ago

I Loved play-n the baseball Pin's at Carolina beach w/ my bro when I was young , so I found 1 on C.list.. A 1972 Williams Line Drive . I got it Working 100% , played it for a couple mth's then Traded it to MrTechnoBarn for something..

Line_Drive.jpgLine_Drive.jpg Line_Drive_.jpgLine_Drive_.jpg Line_Drive__.jpgLine_Drive__.jpg

#45 11 years ago

PinBot had it and sold it. Xenon...still have it. Ahhhhhhh

#46 11 years ago

Not necessarily my childhood. Those were EM's in campgrounds and taverns my parents frequented. Mine are from late teens and beyond. Black Knight, Jungle Lord and Centaur are all in my collection. I still need a Xenon. I know alot of people don't care for Jungle Lord but when Black Knight was new it was all that and more. The bowling alley I went to then replaced Black Knight with Jungle Lord. It was a natural progression and I learned to love it. Still one of my favorites to this day.

#47 11 years ago

Yep - 3 out of 4 of my pins are from my youth - Firepower, Paragon and Genie. The first pin I ever bought was Flash, because I remembered being blown away by the lights and sounds when I was a kid. ....really had a tought time letting it go because I had such a sentimental attachment to it.

#48 11 years ago

Childhood favourites were six million dollar man, Flash (own it now), Gorgar, Centar, and Black Kinight.

#49 11 years ago

I guess I'm lucky I didn't really start to play until the early 90's. The bowling alley near me had TZ and TAF.

So yes, after all these years I went and bought both.

Crazy part is now I want 20 more

#50 11 years ago

I would really like to find a High Speed. was the first pinball i ever played.

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-of-you-desire-to-find-machines-from-your-childhood and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.