Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 230 posts
  • 111 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by njPinWiz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are You An EM Guy/Gal?”

• I prefer EM machines so consider myself an EM guy/gal 78 votes
      28%
    • I prefer SS/DMD machines, so consider myself an SS/DMD guy/gal 96 votes
      34%
    • I don't have a preference - I like all pinball. 108 votes
      38%

(282 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-3-913.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#70 9 years ago

count me in... i plan on being buried in one...

#80 9 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Me too!! I've often told my wife the same thing!!
    I have 10 EM's & 1 DMD

glad i'm not alone there... i REALLY wanted rotordave to head to nj, it would have been hilarious for my neighbors to see a pin being hauled out and put in a hearse...

Quoted from PMcGee:

Hopefully one with a bad cabinet and shot playfield with a flaking backglass. Need to keep the nice ones out of the dirt.

good point... that flip flop project i have should fit the bill...

although, since i'm being burnt upon my demise, i could just have her scatter some ashes in various machines... what's a little bit more dust?

#88 9 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Top Reasons Why I Consider Myself an EM Guy (Despite Rat_Tomago's objections to the contrary)
    10. 1/3 of my collection is EMs.
    09. I can bring a dead EM back to life.
    08. I can troubleshoot EM problems and resolve them.
    07. I can take a dirty EM playfield and make it clean and shiny.
    06. I can play a 2" game and roll it.
    05. I can play a 3" game and roll it.
    04. I troll CL, pinside & eBay for EM deals.
    03. I have EM projects.
    02. I am a member of the Yahoo EMPinballMachine group.
    And the #1 Reason I consider myself an EM GUY
    01. I love them.
    Marcus

i like it... 9 out of 10 for me (except all my collection is em's )...

i'm missing #6... rolling a 2" game is an extraordinarily rare occurence for me... i've only rolled my 4 square a couple times, and never rolled the royal guard...

#92 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Honestly, if you can regularly roll Royal Guard, you should be playing in tournaments. I've made probably 100+ attempts to roll my friend's Royal Guard and nobody...NOBODY has scored over 7k on that thing....in other words, NOT EVEN CLOSE!

i came close once, and i choked like a miserable dirty stinking dog on the last ball... but that's the only time... anything over 5000 is a very rare performance for me... i'm happy if i can just make the replay level once out of every 10 tries...

and that's in WAY more than 100 attempts...

#101 9 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

I suggest simple options.
    1. I am an EM Guy
    2. I am an EM Gal
    3. I am not an EM Guy
    4. I am not an EM Gal

technically, i am both 1 and 4...

seriously though, that might work to give some type of raw numbers...

#104 9 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Ahhh. .... What? So you qualify for answer #2?

nope.... 1&4 are true, 2&3 are false...

#110 9 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

My experience is that you can aim better with 3" flippers, and that 2" flippers were more random, ie luck, no?

i think what that really breaks down to is "it is easier to catch and cradle the ball on 3"ers, and thus be able to control the ball and shots easier"...

when i keep the ball "under control" on a 2" game, i can aim basically just as well as on a 3" game... the timing of the flip just becomes more important in terms of optimizing the shot...

the issue is that is is very easy to lose control of the ball on many (most) 2" machines (and often impossible to get it back) and when that happens, you (or me, anyway) ends up flipping mostly in attempt to save the ball... thus, it becomes "random/luck" where the ball ends up, since you really aren't aiming at anything...

as a general rule, the number 1 skill on most 2" machines is keeping the ball under control (imo, ymmv, etc.)... and it is the hardest thing to do...

#112 9 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Ahhh. .... What? Had to read this twice, and edit this 4 times. Ooops.
    #1, and interested in meeting a #2

if it makes you feel any better, i had to think it through several times too...

fortunately, i already have a #2...

#127 9 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

I don't get this sentiment either. I think all pin formats (EM, SS, DMD/LCD) have great games. OK, I don't play too many flipperless games. But I did beat JPOP on his Ballyhoo!

for me, it's kinda like "the only place to get real pizza is where i grew up"... i grew up playing em's, and basically lost interest in pinball when video games came out...

to me, there is "em pinball" (i will expand that definition slightly to include real early ss machines) and there is "modern pinball", and they are two different "games"...

i agree, there are many great machines from all eras, and i appreciate the modern ones what they are... i'd never knock anyone who prefers them, nor would i say they aren't "real pinball"... it is just that they are "different pinball", and i don't enjoy playing them, and i've tried... it just isn't the same game...

1 week later
    #176 9 years ago

Chrisbee

hey, look, we even got us an "em guy" moderator... congrats chris....

#211 9 years ago
    Quoted from PMcGee:

If the wedgehead club threatens to kick you out for having too many Ballys, Alligator and The Wiggler can come stay with my zipper flippers - Rocket III, Fireball, 4MBC, Op-Pop-Pop, RockMakers, Capersville and Cosmos - down hear near the Trinity Bay. Just being magnanimous here.

if you need to make room to take in his, i'd be more than happy to board that rocket iii for awhile...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-of-us-em-guys-are-here?tu=ccotenj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.