Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 230 posts
  • 111 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by njPinWiz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are You An EM Guy/Gal?”

• I prefer EM machines so consider myself an EM guy/gal 78 votes
      28%
    • I prefer SS/DMD machines, so consider myself an SS/DMD guy/gal 96 votes
      34%
    • I don't have a preference - I like all pinball. 108 votes
      38%

(282 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-3-913.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cactusjack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#118 9 years ago

Add one more......

I like all pinball. That being said, I would consider myself an EM guy by a few factors.

First, if, or more likely when, I have to reduce my collection to only a few games, I expect the majority of those games will be EMs.

Second, I love to work on EMs. Not only due to the challenge, but also due to how much the designers were able to do with so little technology (just relays and steppers). I also like the fact that we will be able to service EMs long into the distant future with only a hand full of mechanical parts. One parts game can keep a whole fleet of games going. The SS collectors will always be challenged to find obsolete electronic parts and/or need designers to build newer technology to replace that which is no longer available. And this will only become more difficult as time goes by.

And, being 51, I obviously cut my pinball playing teeth on EMs and seeing and playing them brings back fond memories of a fun, simpler time in life.

3 weeks later
    #218 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

IF i was told that i could only have one pin,
    it would be an E/M,
    though about 1/3rd of my collection includes early S/S pins from 1978-1985,
    only have 1 DMD.

I would have a hard time reducing it down to just 1. If it were 2, I believe it would be El Dorado and Eight Ball Deluxe.

#225 9 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

Although I don't recall ever seeing the Gottlieb original, my guess is this is a cheaper knockoff, in terms of build quality.

Actually, accept for the Roto Target Parts and the drop down card animation unit, all the other mechanical parts on the playfield ARE genuine Gottlieb parts - all purchased from The Pinball Resource. The flippers, as you mentioned are also System 3 Gottlieb assemblies using a custom single winding coil which is pulse width modulated for the hold function (reason for the buzzing you might notice when held). A low voltage EOS is present but not necessary for the flipper to function.

The Roto parts or tooling no longer existed in any quantity but were duplicated using the original mechanical drawings when available. The drop down animation unit is an original design as there was no reason to duplicate the entire relay trip bank when no relays or switches were required to operate the game.

Software essentially provides a Diamond Jack (AAB) and a KOD in the same game or even at the same time (Extra Balls earned along side Specials, Score threshold, and Match Replays. The game can even be set for the last ball Match to award an Extra ball - I know of no other game that can do that. Software also added the availability of End of Ball Bonus for Cards earned, something the originals did not have. It also supports a High Score to Date function which can also award replays when enabled.

All the additional software features are adjustable, so the game can be made to play just like the original KOD (albeit 4 single player games).

Can't say it was a "cheaper" knock off since it probably cost more than 3 or 4 times to build than the selling price of its 60's Grand Daddy.

Herb's Fabulous Fantasies company, previously located in Tarzana is alive and well. Retro Pinball LLC, the partnership formed to create and build the Retro KOD is currently in limbo.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cactusjack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-of-us-em-guys-are-here?tu=cactusjack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.