Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 230 posts
  • 111 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by njPinWiz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are You An EM Guy/Gal?”

• I prefer EM machines so consider myself an EM guy/gal 78 votes
      28%
    • I prefer SS/DMD machines, so consider myself an SS/DMD guy/gal 96 votes
      34%
    • I don't have a preference - I like all pinball. 108 votes
      38%

(282 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-3-913.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Heretic_9.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#136 9 years ago

Have a modern DMD, early SS, and EMs in my (so far) modest collection. Generally speaking, my preference runs in the reverse order, a trend that has been increasing for quite a few years now -- even though I've only owned pins for a little over a year, at this point. I've been a player since well before college days, a long time ago.

EMs, a.k.a. "traditional pinball", are the real deal. (That said, I was never down with those damn 2" flippers.) More often than not, the toys, gizmos, and speech of "modern" pinball is mainly a distraction, and beside the point. Yes, modes, more complex objectives, and deeper rulesets can add something of value, but this is not a given, and does involve tradeoffs.

I don't seem to be meeting any collectors who are free of this "curse" of tiring of their pins -- often sooner rather than later -- and wanting to move them OUT in favor of acquiring others. I think all the gimmicks and the soon overly familiar dialog only accelerates this "getting tired of it" factor. It's kind of the opposite of the long-term-keeper status, which you are much more likely to find in the great EMs and select early SS games, before they had much if anything to say. Just my opinion. The EMs also hew much more to fundamental pinball skills, rather than finding rules and loopholes some more knowledgeable players can exploit.

If I'm ever able to assemble a larger collection, EMs would be a mainstay of it.

3 weeks later
    #224 9 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Where officially does that Retro Pin fit in? King of Diamonds. Is it an EM? Well looks like an EM. It even has Gottlieb on it. It does sort of sound like an EM. Is it a hybrid? Is there a better name, to describe its electronic and mechanical parts. Also, are there going to be more made?

Doesn't sound like it, with production ended in 2012 and only 55 made. There *should have been* more of these. (Even the 1967 Spanish version "Reyes de Diamantes" sold "hundreds", according to IPDB.) Has anyone heard any further mention of this Tarzana-based company ? That's not a good sign, in itself.

I've actually played this pin a fair amount on location. Although I don't recall ever seeing the Gottlieb original, my guess is this is a cheaper knockoff, in terms of build quality. If you're down with the Gottlieb micro-flippers, which are duplicated on this one, it's not a bad pin, though I would call it a rather frustrating one. Good thing the default first Replay is set for just 1700 points, since a lot of the time I never get there. The Special is pretty elusive, too.

#229 9 years ago

Possible correction to my post above: I think Replay Level 1 might be 1100, with Replay Level 2 @ 1700 points. Same difference though -- seldom will you find such a small amount of points so hard to come by. The presently topmost review @ IPDB, by a former owner who sold his at a big loss, is more negative than I would go, but he makes some valid comments. It **IS** one of the all-time drain monsters, with very short ball times, and therein lies the high frustration factor.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Heretic_9.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-of-us-em-guys-are-here?tu=Heretic_9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.