5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 230 posts
  • 111 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by njPinWiz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are You An EM Guy/Gal?”

• I prefer EM machines so consider myself an EM guy/gal 77 votes
      27%
    • I prefer SS/DMD machines, so consider myself an SS/DMD guy/gal 96 votes
      34%
    • I don't have a preference - I like all pinball. 108 votes
      38%

(281 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

th-3-913.jpeg

There are 230 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 5 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Wiggler sold super fast. It was gone by the time Rick read my text.
    I didn't see Surfers or Op Pop Pop until after I completed my order. I think I'm good with the ones I chose.
    Marcus

That was a really low price for The Wiggler. I have my eyes open for that one, as well as Surfers and Gator/Alligator. Isn't Alligator the German export model?

#202 5 years ago
    Quoted from PMcGee:

That was a really low price for The Wiggler. I have my eyes open for that one, as well as Surfers and Gator/Alligator. Isn't Alligator the German export model?

Yes. Here is the story per IPDB ...

" 'Alligator' is the German model of Bally's 1969 'Gator'. The US game 'Gator' has schematic part number W-1042-64a and the German game 'Alligator' has schematic part number W-1042-65a.

According to Christian Jacobs, a collector in Germany, an employee of the major German importer Löwen-Automaten told him that the name 'Alligator' was chosen because the words 'Bally Gator' on the backglass would have sounded strange to German players of the time, when the English language was not ubiquitous in Germany as it is today."

Marcus

#203 5 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

A bit more maturity here in the EM camp IMHO. Some would call it AGE!

Are you saying we're old, JR?.....lol

#204 5 years ago

good job Marcus !!

i only met Gene once at the tacoma show year before last ... we had a nice quiet sit down and chatted pinballs before the show started

i told him i was looking for a gator and he said he would sell me his he said it was in real nice shape .. i passed as i wanted some '70s wedge heads

post some pics when your ballys arrive please!!

regards, Ron

#205 5 years ago

I look forward to playing them.

#206 5 years ago
    Quoted from manitouguy:

good job Marcus !!
    i only met Gene once at the tacoma show year before last ... we had a nice quiet sit down and chatted pinballs before the show started
    i told him i was looking for a gator and he said he would sell me his he said it was in real nice shape .. i passed as i wanted some '70s wedge heads
    post some pics when your ballys arrive please!!
    regards, Ron

I sure will!

I just added "The Wiggler" from Gene's collection to the group thanks EMPins graciously offering it up to me.

So my haul from Gene's sale is now five.

01. Alligator
    02. Campus Queen (now belongs to another collector in my area)
    03. Capersville
    04. Cosmos
    05. Wiggler

I hope the addition of the Bally EMs don't get my Wedghead membership revoked.

Marcus

#207 5 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

I sure will!
    I just added "The Wiggler" from Gene's collection to the group thanks EMPins graciously offering it up to me.
    So my haul from Gene's sale is now five.
    01. Alligator
    02. Campus Queen (now belongs to another collector in my area)
    03. Capersville
    04. Cosmos
    05. Wiggler
    I hope the addition of the Bally EMs don't get my Wedghead membership revoked.
    Marcus

If the wedgehead club threatens to kick you out for having too many Ballys, Alligator and The Wiggler can come stay with my zipper flippers - Rocket III, Fireball, 4MBC, Op-Pop-Pop, RockMakers, Capersville and Cosmos - down hear near the Trinity Bay. Just being magnanimous here.

#208 5 years ago
    Quoted from PMcGee:

If the wedgehead club threatens to kick you out for having too many Ballys, Alligator and The Wiggler can come stay with my zipper flippers - Rocket III, Fireball, 4MBC, Op-Pop-Pop, RockMakers, Capersville and Cosmos - down hear near the Trinity Bay. Just being magnanimous here.

Pics or you don't have them!

Seriously, very nice collection. How do you like the play of Op-Pop-Pop? that's another that can possibly be purchased from the collection. I was contemplating getting Op-Pop-Pop & Surfer.

My plan is to get all of these to CQ. I'm going to dedicate some effort to getting these bad boys to top notch condition. I think a Bally Zipper Flipper EM Tournament group at TPF would be pretty damn cool.

Marcus

#209 5 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Pics or you don't have them!
    Seriously, very nice collection. How do you like the play of Op-Pop-Pop? that's another that can possibly be purchased from the collection. I was contemplating getting Op-Pop-Pop & Surfer.
    My plan is to get all of these to CQ. I'm going to dedicate some effort to getting these bad boys to top notch condition. I think a Bally Zipper Flipper EM Tournament group at TPF would be pretty damn cool.
    Marcus

Just got Op Pop Pop and haven't done much with it. It is groovy looking in a happening kind of way, in Brady-speak. RockMakers is another cool one that I got recently. Tried to upload requested video but no luck.

My opinion - Get both of those as prices look very good for games that don't come up often. It probably won't cost much more to ship several.

#210 5 years ago
    Quoted from PMcGee:

Just got Op Pop Pop and haven't done much with it. It is groovy looking in a happening kind of way, in Brady-speak. RockMakers is another cool one that I got recently. Tried to upload requested video but no luck.
    My opinion - Get both of those as prices look very good for games that don't come up often. It probably won't cost much more to ship several.

hrm. I may wait to see if the prices drop more.

But you are correct. What's 2 more pins to a 5 pin shipment! lol

Marcus

#211 5 years ago
    Quoted from PMcGee:

if you need to make room to take in his, i'd be more than happy to board that rocket iii for awhile...

#213 5 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

if you need to make room to take in his, i'd be more than happy to board that rocket iii for awhile...

That would break up the set though.

#214 5 years ago

Bought a SS as my first game. Lots of fun but I missed the bells and the feel of EM's. Bought a EM a while back and as a result the SS is leaving this week to make room for another EM. I guess it is because I grew up playing wedgeheads and just plain love them!!!

#215 5 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

Chrisbee
    hey, look, we even got us an "em guy" moderator... congrats chris....

......and whats more he is an Australian-good on you chris!!

1 week later
    #216 5 years ago

After 2 1/2 weeks - 251 votes

71/251 - 28% - EM guys
    85/251 - 34% - SS/DMD guys
    95/251 - 38% - All pinball

Keep the votes coming.

#217 5 years ago

IF i was told that i could only have one pin,
    it would be an E/M,
    though about 1/3rd of my collection includes early S/S pins from 1978-1985,
    only have 1 DMD.

#218 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

IF i was told that i could only have one pin,
    it would be an E/M,
    though about 1/3rd of my collection includes early S/S pins from 1978-1985,
    only have 1 DMD.

I would have a hard time reducing it down to just 1. If it were 2, I believe it would be El Dorado and Eight Ball Deluxe.

#219 5 years ago

I enjoy EM games. Especially, bowlers and gun games.

#220 5 years ago

I like EM's cos i can fix them
    SS well not so bad, but DMD, O boy!!

#221 5 years ago

I'm for all pins! Currently the set has a bit of imbalance, 2 E/M, 2 SS, 1 DMD...

Though once you go beyond pins... 1 E/M Shuffle bowler joins the group.

But always watching for that next acquisition...

#222 5 years ago

Where officially does that Retro Pin fit in? King of Diamonds. Is it an EM? Well looks like an EM. It even has Gottlieb on it. It does sort of sound like an EM. Is it a hybrid? Is there a better name, to describe its electronic and mechanical parts. Also, are there going to be more made?

#223 5 years ago

According to IPDB, it's an SS with mechanical backbox animation.

#224 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Where officially does that Retro Pin fit in? King of Diamonds. Is it an EM? Well looks like an EM. It even has Gottlieb on it. It does sort of sound like an EM. Is it a hybrid? Is there a better name, to describe its electronic and mechanical parts. Also, are there going to be more made?

Doesn't sound like it, with production ended in 2012 and only 55 made. There *should have been* more of these. (Even the 1967 Spanish version "Reyes de Diamantes" sold "hundreds", according to IPDB.) Has anyone heard any further mention of this Tarzana-based company ? That's not a good sign, in itself.

I've actually played this pin a fair amount on location. Although I don't recall ever seeing the Gottlieb original, my guess is this is a cheaper knockoff, in terms of build quality. If you're down with the Gottlieb micro-flippers, which are duplicated on this one, it's not a bad pin, though I would call it a rather frustrating one. Good thing the default first Replay is set for just 1700 points, since a lot of the time I never get there. The Special is pretty elusive, too.

#225 5 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

Although I don't recall ever seeing the Gottlieb original, my guess is this is a cheaper knockoff, in terms of build quality.

Actually, accept for the Roto Target Parts and the drop down card animation unit, all the other mechanical parts on the playfield ARE genuine Gottlieb parts - all purchased from The Pinball Resource. The flippers, as you mentioned are also System 3 Gottlieb assemblies using a custom single winding coil which is pulse width modulated for the hold function (reason for the buzzing you might notice when held). A low voltage EOS is present but not necessary for the flipper to function.

The Roto parts or tooling no longer existed in any quantity but were duplicated using the original mechanical drawings when available. The drop down animation unit is an original design as there was no reason to duplicate the entire relay trip bank when no relays or switches were required to operate the game.

Software essentially provides a Diamond Jack (AAB) and a KOD in the same game or even at the same time (Extra Balls earned along side Specials, Score threshold, and Match Replays. The game can even be set for the last ball Match to award an Extra ball - I know of no other game that can do that. Software also added the availability of End of Ball Bonus for Cards earned, something the originals did not have. It also supports a High Score to Date function which can also award replays when enabled.

All the additional software features are adjustable, so the game can be made to play just like the original KOD (albeit 4 single player games).

Can't say it was a "cheaper" knock off since it probably cost more than 3 or 4 times to build than the selling price of its 60's Grand Daddy.

Herb's Fabulous Fantasies company, previously located in Tarzana is alive and well. Retro Pinball LLC, the partnership formed to create and build the Retro KOD is currently in limbo.

#226 5 years ago

Great info CJ. I played it a few years ago at a show and sadly, was not that impressed. Even with all the extra features you mentioned, the game just couldn't replicate that original Gottlieb feel/experience....... I applaud their concept, but obviously there was not enough interest and the execution just couldn't live up to the original-IMO.

#227 5 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

Has anyone heard any further mention of this Tarzana-based company ? That's not a good sign, in itself. blockquote>

www.fabfan.com

Herb Silvers is alive and well.

#228 5 years ago
    Quoted from WOLF:

According to IPDB, it's an SS with mechanical backbox animation.

I recently played this at the PHoF. I managed to earn 2 replays. It was challenging. It certainly does not sound like an EM. The multi player aspect is kind of cool. The electronic control aspect is something I could not handle.

#229 5 years ago

Possible correction to my post above: I think Replay Level 1 might be 1100, with Replay Level 2 @ 1700 points. Same difference though -- seldom will you find such a small amount of points so hard to come by. The presently topmost review @ IPDB, by a former owner who sold his at a big loss, is more negative than I would go, but he makes some valid comments. It **IS** one of the all-time drain monsters, with very short ball times, and therein lies the high frustration factor.

1 month later
    #230 5 years ago

Prefer EMs, but some SS are quite nice too....pinball playing is all that matters. When I buy, I buy EMs (mostly).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 23.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 16.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 999.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 11.95
    $ 209.99
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    There are 230 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside