New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 93289)

How Many Of Us Here Are EM Guys? Poll.

By PMcGee

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 230 posts
  • 111 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by njPinWiz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are You An EM Guy/Gal?”

• I prefer EM machines so consider myself an EM guy/gal 77 votes
      27%
    • I prefer SS/DMD machines, so consider myself an SS/DMD guy/gal 96 votes
      34%
    • I don't have a preference - I like all pinball. 108 votes
      38%

(281 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

th-3-913.jpeg

There are 230 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 6 years ago

Actually, not more skill, I think it's a different skill.

Steve

Quoted from EMsInKC:

No. It just takes more skill to work the two inch flippers.

#152 6 years ago

EMs are the only machines I've ever owned, so I would say I'm an EM guy. But really, I like everything.

#153 6 years ago

I like and have all types ,M's EM's SS's , alpha's and DMD's but for your purpose of showing pinsider's interest in EM's I would say ,I am an EM guy as I own at least 30 of them. I love watching players who only play modern pins get hooked on an EM for the first time.

#154 6 years ago

39?

Shit, maybe Robin in right!

#155 6 years ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

39?

Shit, maybe Robin in right!

Nope. 40 and climbing.

Ken

#156 6 years ago

Seems like there were already around 40 by the time I added the poll. Maybe some didn't come back for the poll, maybe some switched their answer once given another choice. Should have just made it yes or no.

#157 6 years ago

3 inch flippers don't do enough for me to keep them. A year ago I was gung ho on 70's game until I had three of them in my house. (Abra-Ca-Dabra, Atlantis and Card Whiz) At first I was drop target crazy. Now Drop targets bore me. Also 70's games give me more headaches with AX and KX switches. 70's games were also made cheaper with inserts that cup. They also made several more 70's games then they did 60's 2" games. I also find that the 60's games have more roll overs, better rule sets and better artwork. This is all just my opinion. I would play 50 games each of King of Diamonds and Slick Chick while only playing 1 or 2 games of Abra Ca Dabra. I like Abra and have a fondness for it but just not in my collection.

#158 6 years ago

amen..em's all the way..

have been collecting nothing but since 1977 when i was 13..just love them..

have 34 in my shed ranging from 62-78

#159 6 years ago

At 124 votes, the “I Like All Pinball” are in front.
    At this point, looks like us EM guys/gals like it both ways, EM and All Others.

#160 6 years ago

EMs all the way. 3" flippers. Gottlieb.

#161 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

3 inch flippers don't do enough for me to keep them. A year ago I was gung ho on 70's game until I had three of them in my house. (Abra-Ca-Dabra, Atlantis and Card Whiz)

I'm feel pretty much the same. Owned Royal Flush, Abra-Dabra and Jacks Open and ultimately got rid of each (I say I like but did not love them). Now 4 out of 5 of my games are 2". Still have a Quick Draw as I like it the best of all the 70's multi-players and I like to have one multi-player & drop target game in my collection. I will usually play 10-15 games on KOD, Sing Along or Heat wave for every 1-2 on QD. Don't play my Nags that often but it is so cool to look at and my daughter would cry if I ever sold it.

#162 6 years ago

I'm almost all DMD, I started in on pinball in the sys11 era, and love those too. I do have a Hokus Pokus, and have thought of doing my secondary room in EM's. There is something about an EM room to me...

There was a guy around me that had four machines, Volley, Abracadabra, El Dorado or TA (can't recall which), and a Jack's Open. I would have bought all four if possible, all of the ones I like.

#163 6 years ago

I am not old enough to have ever played an EM in the wild, but they were plentiful at home arcades back when I was a kid as I hear they got pushed out quickly by SS. Like others I love all pinball, but gravitate to EM's for repair ability, simplicity and fun factor, not to mention bang for the buck.

I find some of today's rule sets as too complex and not as approachable. But I enjoy those too nonetheless.

#164 6 years ago

I started off collecting early SS games, but now, after picking up a few Gottlieb EM's, I am hooked on EM's.

#165 6 years ago

EMs in general are under-appreciated - although I wouldn't have said this a year and a half ago.

I'm pretty new to pinball in general (my husband got me into it). It didn't take me very long to really start liking DMDs (especially Bally / Willians). However for the first few years I had no interest in EMs. Tried them (many times). Didn't like them. They seemed too hard (drain monsters), not very interesting, and not nearly as much fun as the newer stuff. Whenever we visited the Silverball Museum, I always thought there wasn't enough to play there (too many EMs and not enough DMDs). I figured that sooner or later we'd end up with an EM at home because my husband would want one and I would never play it.

Sometime last year, that changed. And I totally get it now. We picked up a Fast Draw in December (first EM in our collection). I love it and my new rule is that if it goes, it has to be replaced by another EM. This year at the Silverball, I think I spent three hours one day playing Joker Poker alone.

So glad I finally drank the kool-aid...

#166 6 years ago
    Quoted from scylla:

EMs in general are under-appreciated - although I wouldn't have said this a year and a half ago.
    I'm pretty new to pinball in general (my husband got me into it). It didn't take me very long to really start liking DMDs (especially Bally / Willians). However for the first few years I had no interest in EMs. Tried them (many times). Didn't like them. They seemed too hard (drain monsters), not very interesting, and not nearly as much fun as the newer stuff. Whenever we visited the Silverball Museum, I always thought there wasn't enough to play there (too many EMs and not enough DMDs). I figured that sooner or later we'd end up with an EM at home because my husband would want one and I would never play it.
    Sometime last year, that changed. And I totally get it now. We picked up a Fast Draw in December (first EM in our collection). I love it and my new rule is that if it goes, it has to be replaced by another EM. This year at the Silverball, I think I spent three hours one day playing Joker Poker alone.
    So glad I finally drank the kool-aid...

The kool-aid does indeed taste good...... I've been drinking it for 11 years now!

Congrats on the Fast Draw! One of the better em's out there.

#167 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pincushion:

I started off collecting early SS games, but now, after picking up a few Gottlieb EM's, I am hooked on EM's.

Welcome to the addiction!

#168 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I wasn't very happy when they first went solid state. They just didn't feel or sound right.

I was horrified when first I heard "bleep", "bloop", "bleep" emanating from a Gottlieb table! From bells, to chimes, to... it's a bleepin' (literally) video game!

#169 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pincushion:

Liking the Abra Ca Dabra avatar.

#170 6 years ago

EM's rule. The first game I ever bought was an EM and I still own it.

I'll admit it...I just don't trust a guy who doesn't own and can't maintain an EM game.

#171 6 years ago

Will be picking up my first pin for the collection. 1970 Williams Rock n Roll - lots of hate directed at it. But its free! And I can hone my repair skills. I've only played a couple EM's, no doubt they have a different feel than the new stuff but I don't think either is better than the other. Apples and oranges.

#172 6 years ago

Gratz!
    There is no machine that I dislike that is free

--Jeff

#173 6 years ago

3 more post Jeff,the big four million!!
    Respond, then its only 2!

#174 6 years ago
    Quoted from angrysaladman:

Will be picking up my first pin for the collection. 1970 Williams Rock n Roll - lots of hate directed at it. But its free! And I can hone my repair skills. I've only played a couple EM's, no doubt they have a different feel than the new stuff but I don't think either is better than the other. Apples and oranges.

Congrats on your 1st em.

Looking at your Avatar though, you don't pack a "salad shooter" do you?

#175 6 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

the new stuff

LOL.

#176 6 years ago

Chrisbee

hey, look, we even got us an "em guy" moderator... congrats chris....

#177 6 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

Chrisbee

Yes Indeed, Congrats Chrisbee!

Ken

#178 6 years ago

Proud to be an EM fan. Out of 30+ games, only 10 are SS. Also have a couple of EM non-pin games, skee ball and Bally Skill Roll. Love working on games, and I prefer working on EMs a bit more than SS games.

Don C.

#179 6 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

Actually, not more skill, I think it's a different skill.
    Steve

Eh, you can train a monkey to catch and trap a ball with three inch flippers and return lanes.

It's a different story with two inch flippers right up against the slings.

#180 6 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Nope. 40 and climbing.

This will be hard to judge, I voted all pinball However i'm mostly EM when come to interest.
    Maybe we should add together option 1 and 3. Giving us 133 @ time of posting.

#181 6 years ago

That's what I thought but then do those who voted all
    have em's if they do then I would think that makes you an em guy
    and I think that is what we are looking for in the poll right
    tom
    oh yea congratulations chrisbee

#182 6 years ago
    Quoted from tommycrum:

congratulations chrisbee

Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Yes Indeed, Congrats Chrisbee!

Ken

Quoted from ccotenj:

Thanks guys.

#183 6 years ago

I consider myself a pinball fan, but I think my DMD friends consider me an EM guy. I like all pinball really, but I get a little more excited when I can play an EM ive never played before, or an early SS that Ive never played before. All the Stern's have kinda beat the interest in DMD's out of me as of late.
    Full disclosure
    #1 - Due to financial constraints, a $400-$600 EM will always be more appealing to me than a $1000-$1500 SS or a $3000+ DMD. Have to live in your means
    #2 - Ive never been a fan of strategy games, board games, and I stopped playing video games before the PS3 came out. I dislike all the pinball arcade and virtual pinball games Ive ever played. All those reasons brought me to the conclusion that those deep strategry and rule sets may perhaps turn me off the the DMD games. Especially because I wont be owning one anytime soon to play 100 times in a row.
    In conclusion, I really just like pinball. EM's are my current favorite.

#184 6 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

Chrisbee

Of course the irony is that the EM guys don't need a moderator! The level of discourse is like being on a different forum altogether.

#185 6 years ago

I'm not an EM guy per se, but really enjoy them. Love the simplicity of the rules and have an affinity for drop targets and spinners you can light for more value. I love how a big spinner rip rewards you for nailing the shot.

Related, what are some great drop target & spinner EMs?

At PHOF I enjoyed these games a ton:
    Countdown
    Volley (thanks to Credit Dot)
    Rock star (fun layout!)

#186 6 years ago

i will own, work on, and enjoy playing any genre of pin, but i really long for em ground up restorations the most-

#187 6 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

I'm not an EM guy per se, but really enjoy them. Love the simplicity of the rules and have an affinity for drop targets and spinners you can light for more value. I love how a big spinner rip rewards you for nailing the shot.
    Related, what are some great drop target & spinner EMs?

Spinners:
    Monaco, Aztec, Hot Tip

Drops:
    Jungle Queen, Target Alpha, Jack in the Box, and Sky Jump are the various layouts you'll find.

#188 6 years ago
    Quoted from appeac:

Spinners:
    Monaco, Aztec, Hot Tip
    Drops:
    Jungle Queen, Target Alpha, Jack in the Box, and Sky Jump are the various layouts you'll find.

Thanks, will look for those!

#189 6 years ago

Keep 'em coming. I thought we might end up with around 100 people who consider themselves "EM Guys" when I started the topic.

Being of a certain age, when I peruse my pinball past, I remember the mechanical sounds of games like Wizard! and Capt Fantastic. I truly like all pinball, and own a little of everything, but consider myself an EM guy because of these memories.

#190 6 years ago

Me and SS versus EM?
    I worked setting up new pins and refurbishing old ones for resale for about 7 years in the late 70's early 80's in a large dedicated shop. I've worked on tons of EM's and System 1 era pins before changing careers. Black Night was pretty new and they just came out with small under-playfields like Haunted House.

I've seen and played a few titles of newer SS games over the decade at movie theaters etc. I don't like SS games for a few reasons. Sorry, it's a personal preference.

Reason #1: Sound. I don't own an arcade so any equipment I buy would be for home use. I am quite sure that I would quickly grow tired of the game repeating sound tracks. I'd find it a ++ at first then get "old" which would effect my opinion of the whole.
    I find mechanical bells and chimes much more tolerable. Almost soothing rather than electronically reproduced "noise". I also naturally correlate the thumping rat-a-tat-tat of an EM pin versus the SS versions.

Reason #2: Simplicity. I find the constant waving, flashing, sequential lights very distracting. I don't want to be distracted. I want a flipper, a ball, skill shots and a simple easy to understand rule set.

Reason #3: Repair. It can be said that repair of SS is easier by board substitution. I agree. However it was extremely easy to obtain fresh, new factory original boards back in the 70's-80's. Not so easy now. I suspect a factory new board probably demands a premium price. Most available boards are recycled. Will these boards still be readily available and cost effective 50 or 70 years from now? Odds say no.
    Comparably, EM circuits are coils, blade switches and wires. I'll argue these basic elements will be readily and cheaply available 50 or 70 years from today. EM schematics can be difficult at first but most of them follow the same basic flow which can be learned.

Reason #4 Artwork. Enough said.

The only single solitary benefit I (personally) could attribute to more modern pins are condition. Most EM's were rode hard with little maintenance. Yes nice ones are available but usually for extra $$$. On the other hand, I find one joy of EM's are fixing and routine maintenance and I'm to cheap to spend any real amount of cash so I end up with the projects. Which makes the condition point kind of moot.

Don't get me wrong, I would not turn down the offer to play a modern pin. They're OK I guess. But give me a choice to play a good title EM -or- a popular title SS then you'll hear chimes and bells.

#191 6 years ago
    Quoted from SteveFury:

Me and SS versus EM?
    I worked setting up new pins and refurbishing old ones for resale for about 7 years in the late 70's early 80's in a large dedicated shop. I've worked on tons of EM's and System 1 era pins before changing careers. Black Night was pretty new and they just came out with small under-playfields like Haunted House.
    I've seen and played a few titles of newer SS games over the decade at movie theaters etc. I don't like SS games for a few reasons. Sorry, it's a personal preference.
    Reason #1: Sound. I don't own an arcade so any equipment I buy would be for home use. I am quite sure that I would quickly grow tired of the game repeating sound tracks. I'd find it a ++ at first then get "old" which would effect my opinion of the whole.
    I find mechanical bells and chimes much more tolerable. Almost soothing rather than electronically reproduced "noise". I also naturally correlate the thumping rat-a-tat-tat of an EM pin versus the SS versions.
    Reason #2: Simplicity. I find the constant waving, flashing, sequential lights very distracting. I don't want to be distracted. I want a flipper, a ball, skill shots and a simple easy to understand rule set.
    Reason #3: Repair. It can be said that repair of SS is easier by board substitution. I agree. However it was extremely easy to obtain fresh, new factory original boards back in the 70's-80's. Not so easy now. I suspect a factory new board probably demands a premium price. Most available boards are recycled. Will these boards still be readily available and cost effective 50 or 70 years from now? Odds say no.
    Comparably, EM circuits are coils, blade switches and wires. I'll argue these basic elements will be readily and cheaply available 50 or 70 years from today. EM schematics can be difficult at first but most of them follow the same basic flow which can be learned.
    Reason #4 Artwork. Enough said.
    The only single solitary benefit I (personally) could attribute to more modern pins are condition. Most EM's were rode hard with little maintenance. Yes nice ones are available but usually for extra $$$. On the other hand, I find one joy of EM's are fixing and routine maintenance and I'm to cheap to spend any real amount of cash so I end up with the projects. Which makes the condition point kind of moot.
    Don't get me wrong, I would not turn down the offer to play a modern pin. They're OK I guess. But give me a choice to play a good title EM -or- a popular title SS then you'll hear chimes and bells.

well stated!

#192 6 years ago

It's not just the chimes & bells.... it's the noise & physical feel of the stepper motors & relays working too. As a kid this always gave the EM's that magical feel. Back then I had no clue as to what that was underneath making all of the racket. Now that I know it makes it even more special.

#193 6 years ago

This EM guy just added three Bally zipper flipper games (Alligator, Capersville & Cosmos) from the PPS Sale.

Very excited to get these into my collection!

Marcus

#194 6 years ago

PMcGee: You have a woodrail Bally Circus! Up to 9 ball multiball! I LUV that machine. I played it to death at PHoF last time i was there. Tim wouldn't sell it to me. As the kids say, I am totes jelly.

#195 6 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Of course the irony is that the EM guys don't need a moderator!

This is actually true, the EM section is well behaved, congratulations all you EM Guys and Gals for keeping this area of Pinside as it was meant to be, for Pinball people. And may all your relays close, and reopen, and close and....!!

#196 6 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

This EM guy just added three Bally zipper flipper games (Alligator, Capersville & Cosmos) from the PPS Sale.
    Very excited to get these into my collection!
    Marcus

I noticed the list had Bally's The Wiggler too #127 - multiball and zipper flipper. Surfers #78 and Op Pop Pop #1 are zipper flipper too.

#197 6 years ago
    Quoted from SteveFury:

Comparably, EM circuits are coils, blade switches and wires. I'll argue these basic elements will be readily and cheaply available 50 or 70 years from today.

Em's are repairable, most items are just about bullet proof, and require minimally maintenance, but can be maintained. This is what i like most about EMs. even if a coil is no longer available in time to come, the wire will be. re-wrapping a coil may not be a fun job, but it is very easy to achieve a good result. Ever tried making a new 7417Pc IC, not so easy,LOL.

Just remembered, every one in this forum already know this!!

#198 6 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

PMcGee: You have a woodrail Bally Circus! Up to 9 ball multiball! I LUV that machine. I played it to death at PHoF last time i was there. Tim wouldn't sell it to me. As the kids say, I am totes jelly.

It is pretty rough, but complete. I wanted Balls a Poppin', but jumped on this one when it came up.

#199 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chrisbee:

This is actually true, the EM section is well behaved, congratulations all you EM Guys and Gals for keeping this area of Pinside as it was meant to be, for Pinball people. And may all your relays close, and reopen, and close and....!!

A bit more maturity here in the EM camp IMHO. Some would call it AGE!

#200 6 years ago
    Quoted from PMcGee:

I noticed the list had Bally's The Wiggler too #127 - multiball and zipper flipper. Surfers #78 and Op Pop Pop #1 are zipper flipper too.

Wiggler sold super fast. It was gone by the time Rick read my text.

I didn't see Surfers or Op Pop Pop until after I completed my order. I think I'm good with the ones I chose.

Marcus

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 9.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 5,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 89.99
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 5,999.95
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 89.99
    $ 999.00
    $ 98.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 230 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside