Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 230 posts
  • 111 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by njPinWiz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are You An EM Guy/Gal?”

• I prefer EM machines so consider myself an EM guy/gal 78 votes
      28%
    • I prefer SS/DMD machines, so consider myself an SS/DMD guy/gal 96 votes
      34%
    • I don't have a preference - I like all pinball. 108 votes
      38%

(282 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-3-913.jpeg
    There are 230 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 9 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

I suggest simple options.
    1. I am an EM Guy
    2. I am an EM Gal
    3. I am not an EM Guy
    4. I am not an EM Gal

technically, i am both 1 and 4...

seriously though, that might work to give some type of raw numbers...

#102 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

technically, i am both 1 and 4...

Ahhh. .... What? Had to read this twice, and edit this 4 times. Ooops.
    #1, and interested in meeting a #2

#103 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Especially the ones with 2" flippers.

My experience is that you can aim better with 3" flippers, and that 2" flippers were more random, ie luck, no?

#104 9 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Ahhh. .... What? So you qualify for answer #2?

nope.... 1&4 are true, 2&3 are false...

#105 9 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

My experience is that you can aim better with 3" flippers, and that 2" flippers were more random, ie luck, no?

Definitely No.

More practice may be required, but you can sharp shoot with 2" flippers too.

Marcus

#106 9 years ago

I like playing EM's. I have a few in my possession. I do not think electronic displays are sacrilege. Where does that put me?

#107 9 years ago
    Quoted from appeac:

I like playing EM's. I have a few in my possession. I do not think electronic displays are sacrilege. Where does that put me?

That makes you an EM guy in my book.

Marcus

#108 9 years ago

check

#109 9 years ago

You are playing EM pins on a regular basis, and enjoy them.
    You know what EM stands for.
    You may own an EM game or even more than 1.
    Then you qualify as an EM player.
    'Ownership is not Essential'

#110 9 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

i think what that really breaks down to is "it is easier to catch and cradle the ball on 3"ers, and thus be able to control the ball and shots easier"...

when i keep the ball "under control" on a 2" game, i can aim basically just as well as on a 3" game... the timing of the flip just becomes more important in terms of optimizing the shot...

the issue is that is is very easy to lose control of the ball on many (most) 2" machines (and often impossible to get it back) and when that happens, you (or me, anyway) ends up flipping mostly in attempt to save the ball... thus, it becomes "random/luck" where the ball ends up, since you really aren't aiming at anything...

as a general rule, the number 1 skill on most 2" machines is keeping the ball under control (imo, ymmv, etc.)... and it is the hardest thing to do...

#111 9 years ago

I currently have one EM and it's a project, but I enjoy EMs. Does that count?

--Luke

#112 9 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Ahhh. .... What? Had to read this twice, and edit this 4 times. Ooops.
    #1, and interested in meeting a #2

if it makes you feel any better, i had to think it through several times too...

fortunately, i already have a #2...

#113 9 years ago

4 System 1s
    1 Bally SS
    3 woodrails
    ~ 3-4 Bally EMs
    ~9-10 Williams EMs
    ~ 40 Gottlieb EM

Yes, I lost count.

#114 9 years ago
    Quoted from PMcGee:

In the "who moved my EM post" post, Robin mentioned that there aren't that many of us EM guys on Pinside

As a percentage of Pinside traffic, he may be correct.

As a percentage of solid citizens who don't cause trouble and are truly the salt of the earth, he is wrong.

#115 9 years ago
    Quoted from HighNoon:

I currently have one EM and it's a project, but I enjoy EMs. Does that count?
    --Luke

Yep. It counts.

Marcus

#116 9 years ago

Original question was based on the assumption there were not many EM guys on Pinside. I was trying to figure out just how many of us consider ourselves EM guys, and whether there were a few of us or a bunch of us. I think to answer my question, I will keep the poll simple - I prefer EM or I prefer SS/DMD.

I like dealing with the EM folks better than general population - less snarkiness on the EM side. But it might be fun for someone else to put a similar poll with more options on the All Pinball Forum to see what responses might be for the Pinside population as a whole.

Edit: Ownership of an EM or SS/DMD doesn't necessarily define you, nor does non-ownership prevent you from defining yourself. You know what you like best.

#117 9 years ago

Poll is added, and I voted first. Make your vote count!

Edit: And remember the point of the poll is to come up with some idea of the number of EM Guys on Pinside. I personally believe that there are more of us here than anyone thinks.

#118 9 years ago

Add one more......

I like all pinball. That being said, I would consider myself an EM guy by a few factors.

First, if, or more likely when, I have to reduce my collection to only a few games, I expect the majority of those games will be EMs.

Second, I love to work on EMs. Not only due to the challenge, but also due to how much the designers were able to do with so little technology (just relays and steppers). I also like the fact that we will be able to service EMs long into the distant future with only a hand full of mechanical parts. One parts game can keep a whole fleet of games going. The SS collectors will always be challenged to find obsolete electronic parts and/or need designers to build newer technology to replace that which is no longer available. And this will only become more difficult as time goes by.

And, being 51, I obviously cut my pinball playing teeth on EMs and seeing and playing them brings back fond memories of a fun, simpler time in life.

#119 9 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Add one more......
    I like all pinball.
    And, being 51, I obviously cut my pinball playing teeth on EMs and seeing and playing them brings back fond memories of a fun, simpler time in life.

Decided to add the third option to the poll before posting, so hopefully all bases are covered for this simple statistical survey.

#120 9 years ago

"I prefer EM pins", please do not miss quote me on this statement. Early SS are ok, I do not currently own one of those. In general, I enjoy all pins, I just do not need to own them.

#121 9 years ago

EM here, but I do enjoy all pinball.

#122 9 years ago

I grew up with EMs, and am an EM guy at heart. I have 4 currently, but one is at a friend's in Boston, one at another friend's in PA, and one is coming home from storage soon. I just don't get people who say they love pinball but can't stand EMs. EMs are pinball at its purest. I guess it's the instant-gratification/twitch-reflex/glitzy leanings of the younger generation. (Speaking as an old fart here!)

#123 9 years ago

I grew up with a Bally Nip-It in my house.
    Will always have a soft spot for the EM's.

#124 9 years ago

Grew up with mostly SS & DMD & I'm more into EMs now than I ever was. After playing Pinball my whole life, there are a handfull of DMD games I haven't played, and only a little more than I haven't played 1000 times. Basically, all EMs are new to me. It's great!

After my next DMD I'm changing my purchasing to early SS & EMs.

#125 9 years ago

EM only for me, and 2" flippers. If I'm honest, I don't class SS as real pinball, played the odd one, can't understand why anybody would want one. Can't stand most of the 'art' and really don't like them at all.

#126 9 years ago
    Quoted from nick-the-greek:

EM only for me, and 2" flippers. If I'm honest, I don't class SS as real pinball, played the odd one, can't understand why anybody would want one. Can't stand most of the 'art' and really don't like them at all.

I don't get this sentiment either. I think all pin formats (EM, SS, DMD/LCD) have great games. OK, I don't play too many flipperless games. But I did beat JPOP on his Ballyhoo!

#127 9 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

I don't get this sentiment either. I think all pin formats (EM, SS, DMD/LCD) have great games. OK, I don't play too many flipperless games. But I did beat JPOP on his Ballyhoo!

for me, it's kinda like "the only place to get real pizza is where i grew up"... i grew up playing em's, and basically lost interest in pinball when video games came out...

to me, there is "em pinball" (i will expand that definition slightly to include real early ss machines) and there is "modern pinball", and they are two different "games"...

i agree, there are many great machines from all eras, and i appreciate the modern ones what they are... i'd never knock anyone who prefers them, nor would i say they aren't "real pinball"... it is just that they are "different pinball", and i don't enjoy playing them, and i've tried... it just isn't the same game...

#128 9 years ago

Me got lot EM me guy

#129 9 years ago

Total EM guy

#130 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

i think what that really breaks down to is "it is easier to catch and cradle the ball on 3"ers, and thus be able to control the ball and shots easier"...
    when i keep the ball "under control" on a 2" game, i can aim basically just as well as on a 3" game... the timing of the flip just becomes more important in terms of optimizing the shot...
    the issue is that is is very easy to lose control of the ball on many (most) 2" machines (and often impossible to get it back) and when that happens, you (or me, anyway) ends up flipping mostly in attempt to save the ball... thus, it becomes "random/luck" where the ball ends up, since you really aren't aiming at anything...
    as a general rule, the number 1 skill on most 2" machines is keeping the ball under control (imo, ymmv, etc.)... and it is the hardest thing to do...

OK, but possibly there's more fluid movement with a 3", you can shoot off a roll without cradling, thus a faster playing em, just waiting for the ball to get to the sweet spot. Sorry to hijack thread. As you were.

#131 9 years ago

I am an EM only guy.

First off there is nothing so cool as thinking that an EM is really a complex mechanical computer.

That it takes all those relays, switches and steppers to perform the function of a a few chips. I just love the cause and effect logic.

Exactly like the mechanical computers on 1940's battleships that could drop a Volkswagen weight shell into a few square foot target 20 miles away. Simply amazing.

And they are static and surge proof. When the big nuclear EMP goes off everything solid state will be dead and old cars with points and EMs will be left.

And second I work on solid state crap all the time at work. And it's just about replacing boards. Or the obvious burnt component.

Nuff said.

#132 9 years ago

Depending on the mood I might play a game of Volley or STLE or Jack in the Box or ACDC Premium. So I guess both!

#133 9 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Definitely No.
    More practice may be required, but you can sharp shoot with 2" flippers too.
    Marcus

I think when they are shopped and working correctly, 2" flippers are quicker and more accurate than 3" flippers. On 3" flipper games, I always try to flip a split second early to compensate for their inherent lag (moment of inertia, due to their greater mass and mass located farther from the center of rotation).

#134 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheShameGovernor:

I've got 7/10 of those, so even though I don't own one at the moment, I'm going to make an executive decision and call myself one too.

10/10, what Xeri said..........!

#135 9 years ago

8 out of 8 for me

#136 9 years ago

Have a modern DMD, early SS, and EMs in my (so far) modest collection. Generally speaking, my preference runs in the reverse order, a trend that has been increasing for quite a few years now -- even though I've only owned pins for a little over a year, at this point. I've been a player since well before college days, a long time ago.

EMs, a.k.a. "traditional pinball", are the real deal. (That said, I was never down with those damn 2" flippers.) More often than not, the toys, gizmos, and speech of "modern" pinball is mainly a distraction, and beside the point. Yes, modes, more complex objectives, and deeper rulesets can add something of value, but this is not a given, and does involve tradeoffs.

I don't seem to be meeting any collectors who are free of this "curse" of tiring of their pins -- often sooner rather than later -- and wanting to move them OUT in favor of acquiring others. I think all the gimmicks and the soon overly familiar dialog only accelerates this "getting tired of it" factor. It's kind of the opposite of the long-term-keeper status, which you are much more likely to find in the great EMs and select early SS games, before they had much if anything to say. Just my opinion. The EMs also hew much more to fundamental pinball skills, rather than finding rules and loopholes some more knowledgeable players can exploit.

If I'm ever able to assemble a larger collection, EMs would be a mainstay of it.

#137 9 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Top Reasons Why I Consider Myself an EM Guy (Despite Rat_Tomago's objections to the contrary)
    10. 1/3 of my collection is EMs.
    09. I can bring a dead EM back to life.
    08. I can troubleshoot EM problems and resolve them.
    07. I can take a dirty EM playfield and make it clean and shiny.
    06. I can play a 2" game and roll it.
    05. I can play a 3" game and roll it.
    04. I troll CL, pinside & eBay for EM deals.
    03. I have EM projects.
    02. I am a member of the Yahoo EMPinballMachine group.
    And the #1 Reason I consider myself an EM GUY
    01. I love them.
    Marcus

I can do everything but 7.

Yes, I clean the PF as best I can, cabinet to get the nicotine off and score reels to look like new.

All grease/dirt comes off mechs and steppers.

But the inside will never be clean and shiny. Chris is my hero there.

I get them working 100%, but really appreciate the bangs, scars, scratches and tarnish.

To me it tells the best story of how they have been through so much and can still hang in there and play a great game.

#138 9 years ago

I consider myself to be an EM kind of guy.
    th-3-913.jpegth-3-913.jpeg

#139 9 years ago

2 of 9 so im a 22 percent em guy i enjoy getting my ass kicked in slow motion

#140 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I consider myself to be an EM kind of guy.

th-3-913.jpeg 8 KB

What's your latest avatar from Odin??

#141 9 years ago

I have 2 EM's, does that count? Mostly my collection is Early euro SS.

#142 9 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

What's your latest Avatar from Odin??

Diver Dan!
    One of the first TV shows I can remember. About the time I learned to walk.

#143 9 years ago

All Em's Mostly Gotts and Ballys . personally have no love for the newer pins as they say " to each their own. "

I am always looking for more too.

Brian

#144 9 years ago

I lean more to early SS, but have a handful of EMs too. Really like the creativity in the design of EMs and appreciate the style of artwork. Have a few DMD just to round out the collection.

#145 9 years ago

At this exact moment, I have:

6 Solid state machines (including my new IJ in the garage!) and

7 EM's, including one still at Al W's house (CrossTown - awesome!) and one coming up from Fla. (Central Park - awesome!).

Check back in a week....a WW and TAF just got traded to Georgia. Could turn the tide back to SS....

#146 9 years ago

All EM, and all 2 inch.

Like Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations," and at my age I have no desire to enter the world of circuit boards, sound chips, and mpu's (whatever those are).

If I can't fix it with a contact adjuster, a pocket screwdriver, and my trusty $9 soldering iron, I'm not interested.

#147 9 years ago

I am 48. Back in the 70s my parents used to take me yo Suffolk Downs race track in Massachusetts and I would head right to the arcade. Of course back then there were only EM pins there. The operator of the arcade used to throw credits on machines for me. I only wish I knew of one of those titles today. Brings back memories every time I hear those bells.
    I don't own a em now.

#148 9 years ago

If I can't fix it with a contact adjuster, a pocket screwdriver, and my trusty $9 soldering iron, I'm not interested.

I like that saying!

#149 9 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

No. It just takes more skill to work the two inch flippers.

#150 9 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

Here Here

And I'll add Mean Green and lots of rags to that list.

There are 230 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-of-us-em-guys-are-here/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.