Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 230 posts
  • 111 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by njPinWiz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are You An EM Guy/Gal?”

• I prefer EM machines so consider myself an EM guy/gal 78 votes
      28%
    • I prefer SS/DMD machines, so consider myself an SS/DMD guy/gal 96 votes
      34%
    • I don't have a preference - I like all pinball. 108 votes
      38%

(282 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-3-913.jpeg
    There are 230 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 9 years ago

In the "who moved my EM post" post, Robin mentioned that there aren't that many of us EM guys on Pinside. Made me wonder, how many of us are here?

I am an EM guy. I have 2 SS and 8 DMD games, and 48 (soon to be 49) EM's. Not looking actively for any DMD's but always willing to pick up any and all EM's. Especially 1960's Ballys.

Who else? Lurkers too.

#2 9 years ago

I'm an EM guy too, but I like variety.

Steve

#3 9 years ago

It's about 50% of my collection, so I would say I'm an EM guy

#4 9 years ago

I have 5 of them. a Bally, a Gottlieb, and 3 Williams. I guess I'm a piker in comparison to you...

All but the Bally (which I inherited from a beloved uncle) would be available for trade if somebody was interested in them...

#5 9 years ago

"How Many Of Us EM Guys Are Here?"

Tough Question...........I'm an EM guy, but not sure if I am here...........but I'm sure I'll figure it out as soon as I have another cocktail....or two.

Ken

#6 9 years ago

Count me in.

#7 9 years ago

You're here Ken.

Steve

#8 9 years ago

I grew up with EM's and I owned 3 EM's many years ago and I enjoy working on them, so I guess I'd call myself an EM guy, although I like playing all pins from any decade. No I don't own any pins currently but I'd love to get an EM to tinker with again, especially an old woodie.
    Mal

#9 9 years ago

So far - 7 (or 9) of us. Keep em coming.

#10 9 years ago

I plan on joining the club soon.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hyperball91:

No I don't own any pins currently but I'd love to get an EM to tinker with again, especially an old woodie.
    Mal

I am 56, and resemble that old woodie remark. And I think you can still be an EM guy and not own a pin. But just owning an EM doesn't necessarily make you an EM guy.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I plan on joining the club soon.

Come on down!

#13 9 years ago

I have you by a year sonny.

Steve

Quoted from PMcGee:

I am 56, and resemble that old woodie remark. And I think you can still be an EM guy and not own a pin. But just owning an EM doesn't necessarily make you an EM guy.

#14 9 years ago

I spend most my time reading through the EM Hangout, and really have found my niche. I love the "feel" of an EM, there is just nothing like it, its one of those "if this thing could talk the stories it could tell" feelings, nothing like having a working piece of history.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

You're here Ken.

Steve

Thanks for the heads up Steve.

I was a bit confused about the question after the 3rd cocktail..........

Ken

#16 9 years ago

Em's only for me. Just can't get that into the newer games and would never own one. Playing an em is like a 'religious' experience for me, time and time and time again.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from CapsLock42:

I spend most my time reading through the EM Hangout, and really have found my niche. I love the "feel" of an EM, there is just nothing like it, its one of those "if this thing could talk the stories it could tell" feelings, nothing like having a working piece of history.

+1 I was weaned on SS pins, but have come to really appreciate the sounds & feel of the inner workings of an EM pin. Nothing like it. Amazing what they did with all those relays & stepper motors.

#18 9 years ago

When I started playing there was nothing but EM's. I've owned 6 over the years. I now have 1 ss, but still have a good ol' reliable, always works, never resets in the middle of a game EM and always will.

#19 9 years ago

Yeahuh. Count me in. EM is "reel pinball"! Have a "Mata Hari" and "Joker Poker" SS and have owned other SS, Alphanumeric and DMD games too, but EM is where my heart is.

#20 9 years ago

I was raised on EMs since I was first able to walk. Literally as far back as I can remember. I wasn't very happy when they first went solid state. They just didn't feel or sound right. A couple of machines during the 80s sparked my interest (namely the Black Knights) but not much more. I developed a new love for pinball in the 90s with several DMD machines. So I like a variety, but EMs are my real treasure. I'm 52 and I support this thread.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I wasn't very happy when they first went solid state. They just didn't feel or sound right..

Exactly.

#22 9 years ago

Ain't nothing like ripping a good EM spinner (Night Rider, Old Chicago). Or the clangy chimes on a 70's Williams (Space Mission, Fan-Tas-Tic, Triple Action). Or the Ka-chunkachunkas when starting an EM game. Or even the frustration of a gobble hole (San Francisco). Or that "I just know the next game I will get it button pushing feeling" (Ding Dong, Four Square, Expressway, Crosstown, and a host of others). haha: reel pinball. I hafta agree.

Six of my twelve are EM's and Blackjack might as well be.

Anybody wanna trade Crosstown, Expressway, Triple Action, Lawman, or Sing Along for a Meteor?

I was born in 1961, and I too support this thread.

#24 9 years ago

ems all the way ")

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Anybody wanna trade Crosstown, Expressway, Triple Action, Lawman, or Sing Along for a Meteor?

Or a Mars Trek.

#27 9 years ago

I'm 48 and appreciate all types of machines. I have an EM Pitch and bat and it is the first thing all my sons' friends gravitate towards. Working on these is like having computer chips 'opened' and available to see everything in action. Engineering one of these EMs would take a completely different mindset then building motherboards and programming software because you can't do the hardware and then 'pass it off' to programmers (I'm in IT myself). These things just did enough to take a game from start to finish. No error checking, no diagnostics, no bookkeeping and only had the essential 'options' (3-5 balls etc).

My youngest son enjoys these so you can add 2 more to your list. Also .. just maybe .. the next generation will keep them going

Mike V.

#28 9 years ago

Would like to get in to Em just need to get my other machines straight sell one or two. In the mean time i've been checking out varouis Em machines so I know which to chase. As one the young guys I feel like the odd man out because the other people my age are chasing the dmd stuff. Just need more exposure to the em stuff.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from PMcGee:

I am 56, and resemble that old woodie remark.

Lol, PMcGee, I should watch what I type. I'm 53 and there was nothing but EM's when I was playing pins in the 70's. And I agree, the SS ones didn't sound right when they came along, with their beeping and squawking.

#30 9 years ago

I have a couple EM pins including a 1950 Spot bowler. I also have an EM shooter, EM Driver and a pitch and bat. Being a pilot, my Favorite EM is my Target Zero.

I am looking for a Stunt Pilot and Whirly Bird if anybody has one for sale

Also any aviation related EM games.

#31 9 years ago

Best if you start a new topic under a more generic heading, like “All Pinball” and start a poll.
    Cos like reader digest (survey 6 people and publish a result), you have bias the result by asking Em People if they are Em people!!

I would love to see the answers too!

#32 9 years ago

I am in too. Although I own a single EM (Masquerade) vs 5 other pins, that's the one I currently play the most !

#33 9 years ago

I'm there.

Mike O.

#34 9 years ago

I am just a pin guy;

4 EMs (2 wedgeheads, 1 reverse wedge, 1 2 player )
    5 early Solid State
    4 early 80s
    6 Alphanumeric
    6 WPC
    3 WPC 95
    3 Whitestar
    3SAM

And 2 video games

#35 9 years ago

No collection is complete without at least one EM.

Kim

#36 9 years ago

Age 55. About 25 games in my collection in any given year over the past couple of decades. Breakdown:
    75% EM, 10% Solid State, 15% Prewar.

#37 9 years ago

Love the EM's.
    We currently have a Williams, a Bally and 3 Gottlieb wedge heads.

#38 9 years ago

I am all about the EMs. Especially the ones with 2" flippers.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Especially the ones with 2" flippers

Hate 2" flippers, sold a machine cos it had 2" flippers.

#40 9 years ago

I'm with these guys. Although there are still quite a few 3" flipper games that I like to play. But for a real challenging game, I always go with the twos.

#41 9 years ago

I'm a 100% EM guy with games that range from 1949 to 1978 and include a pitch & bat, nickel skill game, and big ball bowler besides pinballs.

- Tim

#42 9 years ago

Sure, I am an EM guy, I have only EM's pinballs !

#43 9 years ago

I love EM all. Old and newer . if any em guys are in San Diego come on over.

#44 9 years ago

So that makes what, 30 people already? Great to have you all on board here!
    I have zero EM games, but I do love to play them occasionally when I visit a pinball museum or friends that own EM games.

#45 9 years ago

I used to have a lot, but I just realized I am down to one, which I never plan on selling...Jack in the Box restored by Herb Silvers to look like new! Still enjoying it Herb...thanks! Only have room for 13 and I just enjoy games from the 80's and 90's too much to sacrifice the room for ems. And they are very hard to sell off now. I would add a Target Alpha though if one comes my way.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

I am just a pin guy;
    4 EMs (2 wedgeheads, 1 reverse wedge, 1 2 player )
    5 early Solid State
    4 early 80s
    6 Alphanumeric
    6 WPC
    3 WPC 95
    3 Whitestar
    3SAM
    And 2 video games

What a perfect combo!

#47 9 years ago

I'm working on my first as a repair for guy my father knows. A Williams Aztec. Slightly stressful when you REALLY don't want to screw up because it's for someone else.

My payment though is a "dead" but nice Liberty Bell which will be mine. He knows he's getting off cheap. A "real" repair guy would charge a lot for this work. But that's ok. I told him I don't really care about the money. I just want another pin to fix.

#48 9 years ago

Over 40 machines in the collection and only 2 are not EM.. Amazing Spiderman and Bally Star Trek

#49 9 years ago

well I'm in 54 next month I have 4 em's they are really the best when it comes to that bing bang boom imho
    tom

#50 9 years ago

I have 3 EMs.

There are 230 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-of-us-em-guys-are-here/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.