(Topic ID: 136458)

How many millions of dollars is stern really making ??

By Delta9

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by underlord
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    catmoney.jpg
    femeie-pepeni.jpg
    stern.jpg
    images1.jpg
    No_luck_with_the_job_search_yet..jpg
    accounting.jpg
    100-billion.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

Im a business man . So i do tend to think about money. And im very curious how many millions is stern really making per year ? And please keep on topic this isnt a bash stern thread !!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 8 years ago
    Quoted from Delta9:

Im a business man . So i do tend to think about money. And im very curious how many millions is stern really making per year ? And please keep on topic this isnt a bash stern thread !!

image.jpg

You're the business man; you tell us.

#3 8 years ago

I'm "a business man" as well, and best I figure there is a lot less money being made in pinball than people think.

#4 8 years ago

100-billion.jpg100-billion.jpg

#5 8 years ago

Untold, copious, bountiful...take your pick.

#6 8 years ago

I don't have the impression they are rolling in the dough. I am quite happy they are solvent and making games. I hope they make a killing so everyone there gets paid well. I love me some pinball!

#7 8 years ago

It's going to be all speculation folks. Stern doesn't release financials.

#8 8 years ago

They aren't! They do it for the love of pinball and pinside only.

#9 8 years ago

I hope they are making at least $1 Trillion.

#10 8 years ago

They donate all the profits to Pinside to keep the hype train moving for the next title.

Pay for the Stern Night at Pinball Expo Chicago.

We know they don't use it for QC or to add value to thier products since they keep cutting more and more out at each price jump.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Delta9:

im very curious how many millions is stern really making per year ?

I guess if it was any of our business they would let us know,but its not.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Delta9:

And im very curious

So call them and ask.

Pretty simple.

LTG : )™

#13 8 years ago

$2.47, exactly.
    Prove me wrong.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

They donate all the profits to Pinside to keep the hype train moving for the next title.
    Pay for the Stern Night at Pinball Expo Chicago.
    We know they don't use it for QC or to add value to thier products since they keep cutting more and more out at each price jump.

Just want to be clear so NO rumors take root from this..Stern does NOT fund Pinside.

That is all. Resume speculation.

#15 8 years ago

Here goes my first post!

I'm no business man, but I do have a degree in economics on my wall. (That and 6 bucks buys a coffee at starbucks.) I have no clue how well Stern is doing, but I think the fact that JJP and others have started producing machines in the past few years is a good sign of improved health in the overall pinball manufacture market.

Frankly anyone who loves pinball and wants the availability of games to continue should be cheering for Stern, even if they don't like their product. If Stern makes money hand over fist, others will take notice and enter the market. That increased competition is excellent for all of us. More competition means better machines at lower prices. As someone who has yet to buy my first machine, that sounds great to me.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

$2.47, exactly.
    Prove me wrong.

2+3=8,
    3+7=27,
    4+5=32,
    5+8=60,
    6+7=72,
    7+8=??

I was going over how you did it and I think you made a mistake. $2.48 exactly.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

$2.47, exactly.
    Prove me wrong.

This is exactly what I was going to post. Must have heard it from the same source, hence it is true.

#18 8 years ago

@OP

How much do you earn?

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

#20 8 years ago

about tree fiddy

#21 8 years ago

Not as much as you think.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

@OP
    How much do you earn?

Be careful. He may come back with how he is an executive who wears only designer shoes, hipster clothes, lives in expensive apartments, and only buys LOTR LEs for top dollar. I really hope not...

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

Just want to be clear so NO rumors take root from this..Stern does NOT fund Pinside.
    That is all. Resume speculation.

Stern funds Jared. Jared helps fund Pinside. You could argue that Stern funds Pinside via the transitive property.

Consider the rumors fueled.

#24 8 years ago

After all the executives, CEO, CFO, AHO and MOFO get paid, it's a wash on the year end readout

Hey it's only pinball!

accounting.jpgaccounting.jpg

#25 8 years ago

Hi. Is this the fun Stern funded pinball website ? I'm here to become a pinball guru, er, legend.
    Somebody told me all I had to do was come here and link 10,794 games and then I'm a legend. So I got that goin for me.

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I came here to become a pinball guru, er, legend.

You ended up as a member.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You ended up as a member.

Screw that, I'm not hangin out with a bunch of members......I'm headed to RGP. But I heard they're Data East funded.....so no fancy pictures or clever emoticons.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

But I heard they're Data East funded.....so no fancy pictures or clever emoticons.

True, but the god awful repetitious audio there IS in Stereo!

#29 8 years ago

The answer is 42.

#30 8 years ago

The answer is 47. It's been adjusted for inflation.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

The answer is 47. It's been adjusted for inflation.

Stern keeps raising is 1 every release. But of that one, Pinside gets a % so I'm cool with it.

#32 8 years ago

I'm a "business man" and it'd be a shame if something happened to their factory, do Stern want to buy a new fire insurance policy?

#33 8 years ago

The LEs are a loss leader to make money on the pros. So they break even.

#34 8 years ago

Yep, no $$ to be made in pinball.

Pinside owners #'s (rounded down) - Small sample, recent LE's

AC/DC Premium 750 @ $6500 = $4,875,000
    MET LE/Premium 385 @ $6500 = $2,502,500
    Star Trek LE/Premium 425 @ $6500 = $2,782,000
    X-Men LE 225 @ $6500 = $1,462,500

Conservative manufacturing margin @ 20% = $2,324,400 (I think Stern's is much higher personally) Obviously this isn't net profit, but it's also a fraction of their titles. I don't claim to know much about manufacturing, but think alot of people are wrong if they think Stern isn't making $$. Maybe I'm way off, but a whole lot of people jumping into the pinball manufacturing business for some reason.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

about tree fiddy

You gave that Locness Monster tree fiddy!

#36 8 years ago

No luck with the job search yet..jpgNo luck with the job search yet..jpg

#37 8 years ago

Why would anyone bash Stern? Its the only pinball company that consistently produces machines at the lowest market price and they are FUN!

Thank you Stern. Id have to guess they make a Brazilian Million a year.

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Yep, no $$ to be made in pinball.
    Pinside owners #'s (rounded down) - Small sample, recent LE's
    AC/DC Premium 750 @ $6500 = $4,875,000
    MET LE/Premium 385 @ $6500 = $2,502,500
    Star Trek LE/Premium 425 @ $6500 = $2,782,000
    X-Men LE 225 @ $6500 = $1,462,500
    Conservative manufacturing margin @ 20% = $2,324,400 (I think Stern's is much higher personally) Obviously this isn't net profit, but it's also a fraction of their titles. I don't claim to know much about manufacturing, but think alot of people are wrong if they think Stern isn't making $$. Maybe I'm way off, but a whole lot of people jumping into the pinball manufacturing business for some reason.

I would bet money that half the cost of a pinball at wholesale is what they take home as profit !! Thats a lotta money were talking millions folks

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from Delta9:

I would bet money that half the cost of a pinball at wholesale is what they take home as profit !! Thats a lotta money were talking millions folks

I dunno - when you factor the amount it costs for the factory & utilities, salaries for all the designers, engineers, programmers and other staff, plus all the labor on the factory floor...all that adds up. They're clearly doing OK with how they've been able to move and expand...but I don't think they're rolling in the dough as much as some people speculate. This is a fickle business. They could have a huge hit and then a huge flop to cancel it out.

#40 8 years ago

I heard Gary Stern owns a Safe Cracker that spits out solid gold tokens. He pays Jeff Bridges to stand next to his Tron when he feels like playing it. His Scared Stiff is so blinged out it gives real boners.

True story.

#41 8 years ago

Willie sweeping up Stern floors made more last year than Stern made on WWE.

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

I heard Gary Stern owns a Safe Cracker that spits out solid gold tokens. He pays Jeff Bridges to stand next to his Tron when he feels like playing it. His Scared Stiff is so blinged out it gives real boners.
    True story.

Gary Stern's scared stiff has the audio disabled, when he wants to play Cassandra comes over to his house and provides personal call outs as he plays.

#44 8 years ago

images1.jpgimages1.jpg

#45 8 years ago

I do recall that back in the early 2000's Gary was shopping the business around for $20M for everything. They were leaner times so it's probably more now.

Usually a sale price is a multiple of the yearly earnings.

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

about tree fiddy

Did the succubus ask you for that?

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Usually a sale price is a multiple of the yearly earnings.

Or includes debt.

#48 8 years ago

You didn't hear they are non for profit...How do you explain the new shop? You got to spend it...duh

#49 8 years ago

And now from our sponsor.

#50 8 years ago

A guess based on Bloombergs numbers in 2005 sales,

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/stories/2005-03-30/portrait-of-a-pinball-wizard

Sales are north of 100 million annual. Perhaps 125 Million is my guess with 25,000 units a year production estimates for new
    factory. +/- 15% or so.

I havent watched the game building threads, to sense COG, or labor ratios, etc, or attempted a balance sheet, but Investors want a nice ROI, so maybe there are other thoughts or guesses that might help.

In either case, it doesnt matter...I want them to be very profitable, so the games keep coming....
    Where would be without Stern?

I am grateful that our Hobby isnt like say antique radios...an aging membership, with 20 year old games, and nothing new to
    fuss about.

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-millions-of-dollars-is-stern-really-making and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.