(Topic ID: 293224)

How many miles do you get out of your car's starter?

By mcluvin

83 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 72 days ago by mcluvin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jbweldplunger (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20200927_172654 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200924_155336 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200928_095151 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0085 (2) (resized).JPG
    mitsuba2 (resized).JPG
    mitsuba1 (resized).JPG

#1 83 days ago

I've had a VW starter go to 350k miles (and was still working). A 2007 Toyota made it to ~150k. Numerous older Hondas go for the life of the car (200k+ miles) before I sold them.

My last 2 Hondas (both CR-Vs). The 2012 made it to 180k. The 2016 started acting up at a little over 100k miles. I decided to rebuild this one as I've read newer Honda starters kinda suck and didn't want to take a chance on a low mileage salvage. Check this out...

On the left new copper contacts from a $14 Chinese rebuild kit for an early 2K Honda. On the right the OEM parts from the 2016 CR-V. This is what failed. What does Honda want for a new OEM starter install? Oh, about $900. All because 2 cheap pieces of copper were made a little too small and thin.

mitsuba1 (resized).JPG

mitsuba2 (resized).JPG

#2 83 days ago

So where did you source your kit?

#3 82 days ago

My current VW starter has 156K on it, the wifes VW starter has 175K, neither of our cars have that auto shut off crap when idle for 10ish seconds.
    I expect newer vehicles, with owners whom don't disable that feature, to have shorter starter life spans, but longer engine life spans.

#4 82 days ago

2016 Odyssey owner here with the bulletproof 3.5L V6. I got 180,000 miles out of the starter before it failed. I was going to buy a remanufactured one, but both trusted mechanics I consulted both highly recommended I go with OEM. No other issues with the vehicle, so maybe if I’m lucky, I’ll get another 180,000 miles from the starter (wishful thinking)

#5 82 days ago

Here are the last 3 ive chaned on my own vehicles.

98 Saturn sw2...once at 140k and again at 270k
    2002 Saturn sl2 150k
    2002 Camry 120k

I've never consider a rebuild kit because replacements were cheap..$55-$75.

#6 82 days ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

Amazon. Part number is 04312-PSA-305. A lot of sellers offer them on Amazon and Ebay. I took a chance on one with no reviews and same day delivery offered as they all look similar and I needed to get it fixed quick. Every part is essentially the same except the plastic body that the brushes sit in and the rubber cover that goes over it. 2 of the brushes are welded to a piece of copper that is embedded in the plastic. Everything else can be disassembled and transferred over. You can even use the plastic body if you do a little grinding with a dremel.

amazon.com link »

#7 82 days ago

Just to be sure I understand, replacing the starter by the dealer would cost $900.00?
    That's insane, even by car dealer repair cost standards.

(Haven't had a starter replaced on a vehicle, that I can recall. I'd sure be talking to independent mechanics if the dealer said $900.00.)

#8 82 days ago
    Quoted from bonzo71:

I've never consider a rebuild kit because replacements were cheap..$55-$75.

I've read of recent model Honda starters failing as early as 30 to 50k miles. There are more than a few Youtube disassembly videos and they all show the same culprit, that thin copper. But yeah, normally I'd buy a low mile salvage pull for ~$70 and expect to get 200k miles out of it. New and rebuilt OEM are $300 to $400. The rebuild is easy, but replacing and installing a newer CR-V starter is a bear of a job. I don't trust aftermarket considering.

#9 82 days ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

My current VW starter has 156K on it, the wifes VW starter has 175K, neither of our cars have that auto shut off crap when idle for 10ish seconds.
    I expect newer vehicles, with owners whom don't disable that feature, to have shorter starter life spans, but longer engine life spans.

Good point. Neither of my CR-Vs have this and I don't think any of Honda's 4 cylinders do. I could be wrong...

Quoted from RCA1:

Just to be sure I understand, replacing the starter by the dealer would cost $900.00?
    That's insane, even by car dealer repair cost standards.

(Haven't had a starter replaced on a vehicle, that I can recall. I'd sure be talking to independent mechanics if the dealer said $900.00.)

That's what folks are reporting. Say it dies on you far from home? Where are you probably gonna have it towed? A dealer. I try to do all my own work.

Fortunately with this type of failure, it just slowly gets worse. You press the engine stop/start button and get nothing. Press it again and the car starts right up. It doesn't even sound weak. But eventually 1 press turns into 2, 3, or more and you will notice an infrequent delayed start, but otherwise the starter sounds strong.

#10 82 days ago

I have done one on a 1999 Camry when it was about 80k miles I believe and a 2004 Acura TL at around 120k miles.
    It was fairly easy on the Toyota but on the Acura it required removing the battery and the battery support platform if I remember correctly.

#11 82 days ago

Never replaced a starter in any of my cars. Current longest is 2004 Camry, 138,000 miles.

I think this is a general trend though in the newer cars, to cut pennies from the cost by using cheapass little parts wherever they can. Insert your "they don't make them like they used to" rant here.

Quoted from Atari_Daze:

My understanding is that they use a "special" beefed-up starter for this application. Either way I'm not a fan of it and I'm glad none of my cars have it. You also have to wonder if there is data (I couldn't find any) on the longevity of these new starters. And also, if they do go down, are they more expensive than the standard one? I'm guessing yes.

#12 82 days ago

Not really sure about how many miles since the odometer broke 50+ years ago but the starter on my 1930 Ford is still going strong.

John

IMG_0085 (2) (resized).JPG
    #13 82 days ago

Last 4 trucks have been Toyotas. Sell them when they hit 225 k miles. Have not replaced a starter since I owned a Ford.

#14 82 days ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

The greatest amount of engine wear is during start up when you have zero oil pressure.

If I had a modern car with the feature I'd disable it.

#15 82 days ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

My understanding is that they use a "special" beefed-up starter for this application. Either way I'm not a fan of it and I'm glad none of my cars have it. You also have to wonder if there is data (I couldn't find any) on the longevity of these new starters. And also, if they do go down, are they more expensive than the standard one? I'm guessing yes.

My starter that was still working at 350k was on a diesel. I'm sure it was beefed-up as most things on a diesel are.

#16 82 days ago

220k and change on my 04 mustang GT.
    181k on a 2001 MDX.

#17 82 days ago

I've done two starter replacements, both on Jeeps, both just over 100k miles. The first, an '86 Wagoneer (v8), I had to do in the parking lot at work. The other, a '91 Wrangler (inline 6) had the good grace to give up the ghost in my driveway.

#18 82 days ago

I haven't had a problem with my starter, but after about 200,000 miles the 3G alternator on my Ford F150 gave me the battery light on the console. The brushes were shot and Autozone wanted $161 for a new alternator. I found out that I could rebuild my alternator with a kit available for $31 with new brushes, a new voltage regulator and new bearings Took me several days, but it worked out great for me. See attached...

IMG_20200924_155336 (resized).jpgIMG_20200927_172654 (resized).jpgIMG_20200928_095151 (resized).jpg
    #19 82 days ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Man, my VW (07 gti) starter gave up at around 80k. Not so Funny story, knew my starter was on its way out and had some time to change it. Went to auto zone said I needed a starter and gave them usual info make/model/year. I remember asking the sales associate more than once if it was the correct one. He’s seemed irritated- Yes, yep(shows me on computer). Ok, looked similar enough at first glance to me.
    I go on my way, take out the old one and guess what, wrong freakin starter. So I’m pissed now. I call the same auto zone an hour or 2 later. Nobody seems to know who sold it to me, or what I’m talking about. So I get a cab and I bring old starter and new one with receipt. After talking with manager I come to find out they don’t have the starter I need in stock. Now I’m not sure if I even believe him at this point but He calls another auto zone to confirm they have mine in stock which is about 30miles away. Good grief. I was compensated, but long story short (too late) don’t trust autozone.

#20 82 days ago

I had the starter fail on my 1997 Lada Niva several times, but it was cheap and easy to replace. Also had a 1998 Acura SLX (an Isuzu Trooper I believe) in which the starter failed twice (maybe at 110k and then about 155k). If I remember right, it had to be done by a shop because it required removing the front left axle and I wasn’t up for that.

#21 82 days ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Not really sure about how many miles since the odometer broke 50+ years ago but the starter on my 1930 Ford is still going strong.
    John
    [quoted image]

Looks like a Model A starter.

#22 82 days ago

My 2005 Honda CRV quit at 220,000 miles. They are expensive to replace because the upper intake plenum needs removed and the extra gaskets. At 248K and still running strong.

#23 82 days ago

No jinxing so I won't answer. All I got to say is I do not want to have to change the starter on my DD '02 Land Cruiser. It's a bitch to get to. One of the few things that's a PIA with the TLC.

#24 82 days ago

300k on my 3/4 ton Chevy.

#25 82 days ago

265,000 K Chevy HHR

#26 82 days ago

I don't have to worry about buying starters since I buy Toyotas. All I buy is oil and tires since 2002.

#27 82 days ago

2007 hhr 307,865 miles same starter

#28 82 days ago

So my grandad used to tell a story about a guy he knew that owned a trash company. He had the trucks do an experiment (keep in mind this was in the 60's or 70s). He told certain trucks to turn off the engines every time they stopped for an extended time (can't recall that detail if 30 seconds, a minute or what), others to operate as they typically do.
    As one can extrapolate, the trucks that turned off the engines at each stop had engine life considerably longer than the others. They did require starters either rebuilt or replaced, but considering the cost of a trash truck engine, it was a no brainer.

#29 82 days ago

WTF is up with all of you? If I was admin, this shit would be deleted. BECAUSE THIS IS A PINBALL FORUM!

#30 82 days ago
    Quoted from Bellystyle:

WTF is up with all of you? If I was admin, this shit would be deleted. BECAUSE THIS IS A PINBALL FORUM!

hope my car starts which I carry my pinball machines in!

#31 82 days ago
    Quoted from Bellystyle:

It maybe a Pinball forum, however this is located in the proper area, OFF TOPIC.

pasted_image (resized).png
    #32 82 days ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

I don't have to worry about buying starters since I buy Toyotas. All I buy is oil and tires since 2002.

I need to tell my 2007 Corolla to get with the program. I've replaced an alternator, starter, sepentine belt tensioner, timing chain tensioner, motor mount, and just about every seal and gasket on the car. But it's been a good car and was an ex-rental, so I'm sure that was a factor. Got 2 kids through high school and college...

Quoted from tomdrum:

My 2005 Honda CRV quit at 220,000 miles. They are expensive to replace because the upper intake plenum needs removed and the extra gaskets. At 248K and still running strong.

You can do it from underneath, especially with a lift, but the dealership won't let that stop them from billing the hours to remove the intake. It requires a lot of fumbling around without being able to see what you are doing while you are doing it. I kinda felt like a Cirque performer holding the starter in position while threading the long bolt with a thumb and finger from the same hand.

#33 82 days ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I need to tell my 2007 Corolla to get with the program. I've replaced an alternator, starter, sepentine belt tensioner, timing chain tensioner, motor mount, and just about every seal and gasket on the car. But it's been a good car and was an ex-rental, so I'm sure that was a factor. Got 2 kids through high school and college...

You can do it from underneath, especially with a lift, but the dealership won't let that stop them from billing the hours to remove the intake. It requires a lot of fumbling around without being able to see what you are doing while you are doing it. I kinda felt like a Cirque performer holding the starter in position while threading the long bolt with a thumb and finger from the same hand.

My son has a 2007 Corolla I bought used with 108000 miles on it. It has 177000 now . No major problems yet. Its been through college and law school. He's graduating law school in 3 days.

#34 81 days ago
    Quoted from Bellystyle:

I really enjoy these type threads. Pin heads tend to be crafty individuals who can figure out how to fix things. I've learned a lot of random things on here.

07 GTI 160k, starter still going strong

#35 81 days ago

Replaced the starter on our ‘09 Fit after 166k when it would occasionally grind on start with a rebuilt one. Still on the original starter in my beater ‘89 Integra after 266k.

#36 81 days ago

Why would miles be necessarily correlated with starter life? Seems to me the pertinent factor would be number of starter activations. One car might generally get started once and drive all day, another might get started dozens of times a day.

But yeah, there's no start counter (that you can get at, though there's probably one in the car's computer), so when the odometer is the only thing you have to go by...

And, you guys realize that in electric vehicles, the starter has grown (in broad terms) to become the actual means of propulsion, and someday people will look back at internal combustion engines and consider them weird.

#37 81 days ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

My son has a 2007 Corolla I bought used with 108000 miles on it. It has 177000 now . No major problems yet. Its been through college and law school. He's graduating law school in 3 days.

Congratulations to you and your son! That's a huge accomplishment.

Watch out for this problem. It got us right around 185k miles. The only thing holding the shifter cable to the selector is a plastic bushing. It degrades with age. When it breaks you'll notice shifting gets a little more sloppy/difficult but not think anything of it, next thing you know you can't get it into gear.

#38 81 days ago

Recently had to install a new starter on my '04 MDX @ 180k miles. New starter was ~$80 plus my time to install (the pinball hobby and learning pinball repairs as well as the Internet has resulted in me being less dependent on auto repair shops).

1 week later
    #39 72 days ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

So I tested this once and installed it in my car. I made it through about 10 starts before it failed at a gas station. Thankfully I have AAA.

The lock washer came off the plunger. The plunger that comes with this kit is not as heavy-duty as the OEM. It took a few tries to get the lock washer on and it seemed good, but it scraped just enough material off the plunger that it failed quickly. I found a Youtube video where someone had trouble with their lock washer and used JB Quick Weld with good results. I decided to use original JB Weld and let it fully cure as it is nearly twice as strong and can withstand higher temps. Also, there are springs that keep tension on the brushes. One of my springs was not fully seated and applying pressure. With the brushes being new, it still worked, but that would have been a problem down the road.

So this time I did 20 simulated starts and took it apart to inspect. Everything still looks good. So I'm crossing my fingers. I'm going to keep an eye on Ebay for a low mileage OEM for a good price and probably pick one up just in case.

Not a job you want to have to re-do, but it was easier the second time.

jbweldplunger (resized).JPG

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside