Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Who-Dey
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3 (resized).jpg
    4 (resized).jpg
    Countpresents9-pinball_machines (resized).jpg
    There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 7 years ago
    #52 7 years ago

The perfect number of pinball machines for my collection is maximum capacity +1.

#53 7 years ago

My peak was 28 with 22 up and running.. Felt like I had my own arcade.

#54 7 years ago

I have about 30 machines. And what keeps them interesting is no two are the same.

Most in my collection have different lower playfields with a variety of flipper arrangements. Something I would not get if I only had machines from the last 30 years.

#55 7 years ago

I feel like once you pass 6 you're just collecting because it's addictive and fun, or you like hosting parties or league, or whatever else, and you are going to start walking past machines and not playing some of them all that often. Nothing wrong with that! But if you're looking for a minimum to just play all the time 4-6 is probably the sweet spot.

I'm slowly downsizing my collection, the urge to have JUST ONE MORE has passed, and now I mostly care about games that I want to play.

#56 7 years ago

I have only room for 3 games plus a fourth in storage so I focused on getting titles with quality and deep rule sets and classic art and sound that won't get tiresome. Every winter I swap out the one in storage. This works for me. However, for me, pinball is more of a cold weather pastime so several months of the year I don't play much pinball at all. When I come back to it after exploring my other hobbies for a while the same games are pretty fresh again.

#57 7 years ago

Because I often organize tourneys... 9-12 would be ideal for me.

If it were only for me 6-9. Would need at least two EM, two early SS, two DMD.

#58 7 years ago

minimum of 10,
    covering all eras

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

5 ...... a classic SS, a 90's widebody (like IJ, STTNG, JD, DM, GnR, etc) and three crazy different modern (maybe a drop target game like WPT, a stop and go full playfield like RBION or TWD, and a fast looping/ramp game like IM or Tron)

Kindof my theory. I have a simple game with high octane bashing (de trek), a game with a ton of ramps (goldeneye) and a mode based game (jurassic park). Between the three i have a game with three flippers, subway ramps, ramps behing the back wall, awesome toys and themes that are dear too me.

I used to own A list titles but i just never loved them. Maybe i expected too much out of them, who knows...

These games are all also data east/sega so i can see their evolution.

#60 7 years ago

Anything over 2.

#61 7 years ago

I do have to admit that I did become obsessed with just finding more machines. I've been doing this for about 10 years now and absolutely loved the hunt for treasures that I could bring back to life. I don't think I would have gone this crazy had there not been tremendous technical support freely available when I started (Many, many thanks Clay). I original thought I would get machines, fix them up...certainly enjoy them for a while, then sell them. This evolved into pretty much find, fix and KEEP! Only when I ran out of room did I find the need to sell some to make room for more. I think all told I've had around 60 games with my peak being at 28. The hunt was the most satisfying to me, but with the popularity of the hobby those days are gone, at least for me. I have reduced my collection down to around a 10 machines that I really love. I have found a new love in making reproduction ramps for games and I have several local enthusiasts that are very willing to loan me their games in support of new ramps which enables me to keep seeing games I have not owned in the past. The fun never stops!

#62 7 years ago

I started with a couple. Found a sweet spot around 15, grew to 52 at my highest point, scaled back to between 12 and 15 where I have stayed pretty consistent for the past decade or so.

As I got more and more, I found the hobby less enjoyable. There was too much work keeping them playing properly to just have fun. I felt obligated to keep them working - instead of enjoying other activities.

#63 7 years ago

I have 5 in the livingroom which are our play most of the time for me and my wife, and if that was all the room I had, it would seem a little light for touraments and maybe long term, but is fine for parties and gatherings.

I also have a converted garage gameroom that has another 12, a couple gun games and a work area. I would love to have more room for the sake of collecting and not having to move stuff out to get new ones.

I think 10-12 is a good number for that arcade feel and to offer a larger variety (couple old bally's, maybe an EM, some newer bally/williams and some modern pins). Realistically I pretty much fill whatever room I have, but that's the collecting side not strictly from a playing side.

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

12 is the absolute minimum for a static collection of forever games you are stuck with for life.

I think 12 is about right, but I disagree about being "stuck" with them if they are your all-time favorites. Most of the 13 games in my game room are my personal favorites that I actively looked for myself or had my distributor look for for me. (I tried to buy my ToM proto from an arcade for months with the manager always refusing to sell and finally tracked it down and bought it from a different manager when the parent company moved it to another one of their arcades in another city further away.) Only three of the 13 were purchased for other reasons: 2001 Stern Playboy because I have a Playboy magazine collection that spans over fifty years; 2014 Stern Mustang Boss premium because my wife and I own four Mustangs; and 1999 SW:E1 because they only made two P2K pins and I wanted to collect them both.

My buddy who has 10 pins himself asked me which ones of mine I would pick if I could only keep 4 games. MB and SS and BBB would have to stay. But would my 4th pick be AFM or CFTBL? (I know AFM is the better game, but my CFTBL is spectacular with the MikeD TV mod, lit taillight speaker panel, color DMD, and prototype 3D translite.) And how could I let go of TZ or IJ or ToM or RFM? So 4 is definitely not enough and 12 is just about right (I could maybe give up SW:E1 if I absolutely had to get down to 12).

#65 7 years ago

Well, im up to 5 now, but i cannot simply press any more pins into my house now so ive hit a natural border there

#66 7 years ago

I currently have 24 with room for 50 total. I still have 15 on my wish list, but many of my pins see very little play. When my collection got big, it seemed like the games are competing with each other for my time. My favorites get played a lot, but my 2nd tier games mostly just sit there collecting dust.

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

the urge to have JUST ONE MORE has passed, and now I mostly care about games that I want to play.

That's why I'm passing on games like Alien, Ghostbusters, Hobbit etc....

They just aren't that appealing compared to what I already have.

#68 7 years ago

I've had the full spectrum of games, but I think my favorites tend to be early Bally SS machines and System 11's. The newest game I have right now is Bride of Pinbot.

#69 7 years ago

It doesn't matter how large your collection is, you're gonna get bored and want more.

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

It doesn't matter how large your collection is, you're gonna get bored and want more.

I have to disagree. I've had a lot come and a lot go, but now I've fine tuned the collection so we never get bored. And the only way to bring in something else now, is to let something that is better go.

Last one should be here later this week.

#71 7 years ago

Odin said: "I have to disagree. I've had a lot come and a lot go, but now I've fine tuned the collection so we never get bored. And the only way to bring in something else now, is to let something that is better go.
    Last one should be here later this week."

Hey Odin - would be fun and interesting to see what you ultimately settled in with but no games are on your collection page

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from cpiel:

Hey Odin - would be fun and interesting to see what you ultimately settled in with but no games are on your collection page

Pit Stop
    Big Daddy
    Rocket
    Frontiersman
    Magic Clock
    Trade Winds
    Fun Park
    Cyclone 1988
    Heat Wave
    Arrow Head
    Ripley's Believe It or Not
    Skill Pool 1963
    Lady Luck 1968
    Satellite
    Jolly Roger
    River Boat
    Eager Beaver
    Lady Robin Hood
    Fashion Show
    Speed way
    Earthshaker
    Serenade
    El Toro 1963
    San Francisco
    Darts
    Struggle Buggies
    Wagon Train
    Flipper
    Kings
    Surf Side
    Buccaneer 1948
    Pinky
    And one more on the way...

No, we never get bored with any of these.

#73 7 years ago

And the one on the way is a Bally. I don't have one at the moment either. I'm not counting that chicken until it hatches. Or gets here. Whichever comes first.

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And the one on the way is a Bally. I don't have one at the moment either. I'm not counting that chicken until it hatches. Or gets here. Whichever comes first.

Is it the one from OR?

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Is it the one from OR?

Not Oregon. But I may have mentioned it to you. Should be here soon, I hope. Not gonna overhype until I get my sweaty mits on it.

#76 7 years ago

I enjoy EM Machines. Problem is,I've read too much and remember playing too many duds and now am picky.Most don't deliver the level of strategy I prefer,yet I feel comfortable fixing them so my choice in machines is limited.I have two and would be happy with 4,if the other 2 machines I desire come available.
    Of course,42 would be nice...

#77 7 years ago

If the games are fully functional with strong flippers and pop's, I'd 6 or 8 would be about right. I prefer to have games from various manufacturers. Each company had its own feel.

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No, we never get bored with any of these.

Love how you use the "royal we."

#79 7 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Love how you use the "royal we."

It's more fun to compete. Invite competition.

#80 7 years ago

It's just been confirmed my Bally is about two weeks from completion. But it's getting there. Hey, what's this doing in the EM forum?

4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg

#81 7 years ago

7 games. That was the magic number. All of a sudden there were enough games that if one or two had an issue, it wasn't a disaster. There was enough variety that I was always happy to have something I wanted to play.

When you double that, other stuff starts happening. The variety just increases! However it matters less. Games can sit unplayed for a while (months). But even that is cool because as you circle back to it, it feels like a brand new game.

So 7 was the crossroad in my opinion.

#82 7 years ago

I am pretty compulsive so I bought like 600 or so. Down to like 50 I think. SO my capacity is "one more".

#83 7 years ago

I will add that I like to keep all my games clean, shopped out, and fully working. And since I do it all myself, more than 30 or so might become a chore.

#84 7 years ago

I think 10 running is a good amount . I currently have 16 games and only 2 titles are not played weekly . I play 10-15 hours a week and about 5 hours of maintenance or repair/restore .
    Gold Strike
    Free Fall
    Neptune
    Ice Show
    Pin Up
    Cowpoke
    Diamond Jack
    Flipper. Cowboy
    Flipper Pool
    Delta Queen
    Sportsman EM Rifle Game
    Mayfair
    Pleasure Isle
    Astro
    Dimension
    Outer Space
    Im working on a deal for another A list Wedgehead

Added over 8 years ago: Forgot Melody

#85 7 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

How long is a string?

use strlen()

...amateur

#86 7 years ago
    Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

Im working on a deal for another A list Wedgehead

Aquarius?

#87 7 years ago

Use to be 15 - 20, not I am downsizing to 7. A good number for me.

#88 7 years ago

I think 7 is more than enough.

#89 7 years ago

Q: How many machines keep it interesting?

A: One more than you currently own.

A2: One more than you have room for.

#90 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Hey, what's this doing in the EM forum?

Hmmm. Yellow head. Bally SS.
    Skateball? Fireball 2? Lost World?

#91 7 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Hmmm. Yellow head. Bally SS.
    Skateball? Fireball 2? Lost World?

Pick a card, any card.. Lets just say the theme suits me.

#92 7 years ago

Heck, I'm no good at keeping secrets. Here's another hint.

3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg

#93 7 years ago

At least 7.

#94 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Pick a card, any card..

I knowed it! That thing looks brand new!
    Right Arm baby!

#95 7 years ago

That should pretty much finish the collection, shouldn't it?

Quoted from fireball2:

That thing looks brand new!

It should. It's a brand new NOS Bally playfield.

#96 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That should pretty much finish the collection, shouldn't it?

Then you woke up.

Quoted from o-din:

It's a brand new NOS Bally playfield

Where do you find this shtuff!?

#97 7 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Where do you find this shtuff!?

I was going to ask the same thing. But I usually don't.

I will say this, I know the restorer Robert will make this maybe the finest Skateball in the world. And that my friend is something that is very hard to pass up. Best part is I've never even played one, but now I'll get my chance.

#98 7 years ago

You needed a classic S/S pin in your collection,
    and SkateBall is a good one.

#99 7 years ago

I needed them all like I needed a hole in the head. But yes, I think it will fit in nicely.

#100 7 years ago

LOL Aquarius was the worst Wedgehead I ever played ! Had a shot at one for 200, working, 1 broken plastic. Good glass & cabinet. I passed and never regretted it. Nah man an A-list game for me would be a metal jewel post pin with Roy Parker art, card themed, and multiple kickout holes. but they didn't make an AAB version so this will be my only replay pin in the lineup .

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-machines-keep-it-interesting/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.