2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Who-Dey
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

3 (resized).jpg
    4 (resized).jpg
    Countpresents9-pinball_machines (resized).jpg

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 2 years ago

For your personal collection, how many machines have you found give you enough variety to keep you from getting bored?

For the purpose of this question, don't factor rotating in new titles because even having 1 machine would be enough in that scenario. I'm talking about having an established/fixed collection and asking about how many titles it took to have enough of a variety to not get bored.

I'll defer my personal experience a bit until I hear from some others but suffice it to say that, being somewhat of a minimalist, the number I had planned on didn't cut it

#2 2 years ago

#3 2 years ago

3 very different games, recently rotated, but the new ones are again 3.
    Always have a rotating 4th game to keep it interesting.
    Longest lasting collection was 3 Bally machines: Wizard!, Old Chicago and Four Million B.C.
    Stayed "intact" for more then 7 years.
    Last combination: Wizard!, Pat Hand and Gigi for over 4 years.
    Present: Gigi, Hot Tip (s.s.) and Revenge From Mars.

#4 2 years ago

Seems 5 but lately i just cant get enough lol. I remember when 4 was my limit and im double that now and have a few more coming lol. Im officially removing the dining room table this week...... shh dont tell the wife

#5 2 years ago

5 seems like a good number. Seems like when I go into the game room any multiple games are usually on the same 5.

But... I keep 17 just to be safe.

(Granted, a lot of them are in the "get working" queue and once those are done my rotation will definitely be a lot broader)

#6 2 years ago

Depends on the individual, I get bored easy so I like to rotate one at least very 6 months, I know to many people who buy and can't sell, they put more and more of their income towards more machines as they can't part with anything.
    5 is a good number but depends how often you play and how different they are.

#7 2 years ago

I think three is a good number Chris...... Dont know what your looking for in a second game but I will be putting up my HUO TSPP for sale.
    No worries with that one, and you seen the game. Also very deep so ya wont get bored.

#8 2 years ago

Remember I am dealing with a family of four ,it seemed that 12 games offered the variety needed to hold on to the attraction. So that averages 3 per person. Never bored.
    Mike

#9 2 years ago

I think 5 is a good number. I have 15 and although nice, not really needed. That said any pinsiders in n/e pa r always welcome to shoot me a pm and stop over and play, cuz that's what their here for.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Remember I am dealing with a family of four ,it seemed that 12 games offered the variety needed to hold on to the attraction. So that averages 3 per person. Never bored.
    Mike

I like how you how you think Mike! I'll have to bounce this idea of my wife!
    I'm sure she'll laugh in my face!

#11 2 years ago

Always "one more".

#12 2 years ago

How long is a string?

#13 2 years ago

9 is the sweet spot, with room for 10.

You need a bit of extra room for working on a machine, and/or moving a new one in before one is moved out.

Having 9 also allows for enough games to hold small/mid size pinball tournaments (8 for the tournament, and 1 extra in case a machine breaks down just before or during the tournament).

9 machines is definitely enough machines for friends & family to play when you are throwing a party.

#15 2 years ago

I hate to even try to guess how many we have around but as far as the normal person and a logical number of machines I would say 5 to 8. From our experience once you get over about a dozen machines is seems like there is always something broken or in need of attention. With 5 to 8 it is not that hard to keep everything well shopped and running 100% but is also a large enough collection to have a good many choices each time you play.

I think ideal would likely be 12 machines - 8 set up in gameroom and 4 in the shop - if you love working on machines like I do. Then as you fix up machines you can rotate those into the collection and sell off the ones you like the least. Once you sell off a couple you could add more back into the shop and repeat the process. Doing things this way you never feel like you are never going to get all the projects finished, you have a nice selection when playing, and something new is always just around the corner waiting to be finished up and moved to the gameroom.

I think there are many factors that come into play when deciding on "perfect number of machines". In my eyes space would be number one, spouse would be number two, etc. Money shouldn't be a big issue unless you have a need for high end machines. A dozen average EM's or early SS could be done for under $3000 if you don't mind doing a little work to bring them back to life. And that is less than the cost of a single "B" list titles these days. So you don't need a lot of money to have a dozen cheaper machines and then as you progress you can keep upgrading and some day have a room full of "A" or "B" list titles if that is what you want.

#16 2 years ago

41 currently but still not satisfied. I am realizing that I am getting closer to my ideal number as there are fewer games I actively hunt and I am more content just waiting for the right one to come along.

#17 2 years ago

3 is a nice easy number that doesn't take up too much space but gives you diversity.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

3 is a nice easy number that doesn't take up too much space but gives you diversity.

for a static collection? 3 cant even come close to cutting it. 12 is the absolute minimum for a static colleciton IMO. We are talking forever games that you wont ever rotate and your are stuck with for life...

#19 2 years ago

Between 7-9 is the sweet spot for variety and maintenance. Any more than that and I always have something busted.

#20 2 years ago

Whysnow, when did you buy your first. Mine was Dec 05. Crazy how thsy multiply! Should have bought Pin-control at the same time. Love it!

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinaholic:

Whysnow, when did you buy your first. Mine was Dec 05. Crazy how thsy multiply! Should have bought Pin-control at the same time. Love it!

Sometime in 2010? I went from 1 to 12 in a 12 month span. Then it sat at that level for a while and they came in more slowly. In the past year I have gone from 25-41. Things have slowed and I actually sold a few in the past couple months.

I am picking up another this week which I have been working on finding the right example for probably 3 years now.

My ability to grow the collection spiked the second time once we started sharing them on route. I actually like putting them out for others to play as much as anything. My goal in the next year is to restore a few of my more rare decks to be route ready and then put them out also. We have all the standard out on route but id like to mix it up with more of the rarities.

#22 2 years ago

I thought 3, 5, then 6...then 14, then 12...but it's probably 42 as stated earlier since that's the meaning of life.

#23 2 years ago

I have 8 currently. Enough for variety, and some go a month without being played. It's enough to be fun, but I can still be a freak and keep up with every bulb as it burns out

#24 2 years ago

i'm happy with 19 but 42 would be killer! Way to go on those 42!

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

for a static collection? 3 cant even come close to cutting it. 12 is the absolute minimum for a static colleciton IMO. We are talking forever games that you wont ever rotate and your are stuck with for life...

I agree. I missed the static part.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Seems 5 but lately i just cant get enough lol. I remember when 4 was my limit and im double that now and have a few more coming lol. Im officially removing the dining room table this week...... shh dont tell the wife

Love it! Keep them coming.

#27 2 years ago

9 Pinball Machines! Ah ah ah!
    Countpresents9-pinball_machines (resized).jpg

#28 2 years ago

I have a few nice machines, and I rotate frequently. (Once every 2-3 months.). I have 7 currently, and would gladly reduce that a bit.

I don't really enjoy having a "collection." For me, it starts to feel obsessive and mildly embarrassing.

#29 2 years ago

I think it all depends on house size, budget, other hobbies, family, free time, etc.

I honestly thought I would never sell any of my games, but I actually did end up selling one of them. With more and more games being released, I can only see more trading/selling. It won't be hard to find a perfect condition newer machine for sale/trade.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

and mildly embarrassing.

life is too short to be embarrased by something that makes you happy. There are enough judgy people out there that you shoudl not judge yourself if it is smething you enjoy

#31 2 years ago

For me 4-5 seems good. Got bored with three.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

I have a few nice machines, and I rotate frequently. (Once every 2-3 months.). I have 7 currently, and would gladly reduce that a bit.
    I don't really enjoy having a "collection." For me, it starts to feel obsessive and mildly embarrassing.

I agree... If i could knock it down to just one wall of 5-6 pins that I regularly rotate, that would be way more than enough for me. I went from 28 to 9, and I would love to go even lower, but I am not quite ready to just yet.

I get what you are saying about a "collection", as it starts to feel like the only thing you have is pinball, with nothing to really balance it out.

#33 2 years ago

46. Any less and there are not enough games to keep the interest fresh. At 47, or more, you are simply nothing more than a hoarder.

#34 2 years ago

3 for me. I could get rid of the pool table and add another 4-5 but then the room would look like an arcade with a family space attached to it rather than the other way around. Finding the right 3 games took me 15 years!

#35 2 years ago

I would of said 20, but now am thinking 22.

#36 2 years ago

This is correct. That is why I am being so particular about the last one.

“The Ultimate Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything is...42!”

#37 2 years ago

This may be a little overly philosophical for Pinside, but here goes...

It is impossible to own every game. (though the guy in Banning, CA may make a run.) Given this fact, I like to think that I own a small sliver of the huge list of games at any one time. I will keep rotating, and will gradually experience more and more of what our hobby has to offer. It's just a mental trick, but it works for me. I just try to keep enough around for me and my family/friends to enjoy.

I make NO judgement about those who choose to do otherwise.

Personally, I enjoy simplicity. That includes minimizing material things. It avoids lots of issues that pinheads struggle with: maintenance, $$, space, spouse fretting. It also avoids the potential for obsession, which can be unhealthy.

Take it or leave it, but this is my argument for a small, frequently rotating list of games.

#38 2 years ago

4 is the magic number...for us anyway. Easy to keep in tip top condition and offers good variety. If I can just get back to it now!

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

This may be a little overly philosophical for Pinside, but here goes...
    It is impossible to own every game. (though the guy in Banning, CA may make a run.) Given this fact, I like to think that I own a small sliver of the huge list of games at any one time. I will keep rotating, and will gradually experience more and more of what our hobby has to offer. It's just a mental trick, but it works for me. I just try to keep enough around for me and my family/friends to enjoy.
    I make NO judgement about those who choose to do otherwise.
    Personally, I enjoy simplicity. That includes minimizing material things. It avoids lots of issues that pinheads struggle with: maintenance, $$, space, spouse fretting. It also avoids the potential for obsession, which can be unhealthy.
    Take it or leave it, but this is my argument for a small, frequently rotating list of games.

Here is an easier argument.... They all get boring. They also take up way too much space when they are not being played.

#40 2 years ago

I would be happy with 3 to 4 "keepers" and 1 or 2 that would rotate through just to try new games but now I'm up to 8 because everything seems to be a keeper

#41 2 years ago

Depends too on available space! My wife bought me a pin when i retired,and figured we didn't have room for any more in our back patio! 5 now,waiting for Gado on that GB/PRe makes 6! but,42 sounds about right

#42 2 years ago

5 pins, 1 arcade game, and a Jukebox in a permanent lineup is perfect for me from getting bored.

One room, easy to maintain both room and machines, and enough variety for when guests come over to keep them entertained. I too like the fact that I can keep up with replacing a single light bulb when they burn out.

#43 2 years ago

If collecting say em's and SS titles then at least a dozen.

Anywhere between 12 and 18 as wouldn't want more than 18 for sure.

#44 2 years ago

4 is a good number if that's all you have the space for like me. Ideally I think 6 would be perfect.

#45 2 years ago

I think five is a good number. It doesn't overload a good size room. Three as keepers, with some significant variety in game play and two for rotating variety.

#46 2 years ago

i like how for many answers, it is "just 1 more" than they currently own

#47 2 years ago

I have 31, but I play probably 5 or 6 pretty much.

#48 2 years ago

Depends on your space. 4 to 8 would be fine.

A drop target game, a roto target game, a spinner game, a wood rail, a 60's pin, a 70's pin. Some 2 inch flipper pins and some 3 inch flipper pins. Just to mix thing up. "Variety is the spice of life".

#49 2 years ago

5 ...... a classic SS, a 90's widebody (like IJ, STTNG, JD, DM, GnR, etc) and three crazy different modern (maybe a drop target game like WPT, a stop and go full playfield like RBION or TWD, and a fast looping/ramp game like IM or Tron)

#50 2 years ago

I'm at 16 and I think around 12-14 it felt like I could rotate around the pins I'm playing and never get tired of any one game. I don't sell games a whole lot though. If you do, 6-7 maybe.

I'll tap out of space around 20 in the short term, so I'm being pretty selective now. I like the feeling of having a game I wouldn't mind selling in case something comes up I want and don't want to spend new money on a game. Right now, I don't really have one earmarked for that.

Long term I'm going to build a building for an arcade on some land I have.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 149.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 24.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 10.95
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 21.00
    $ 30.00
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    Mod Magic!
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside