5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by timtim
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Your game room is offficially an arcade when you have __ machines.”

• 1 machine. Welcome to my arcade. 5 votes
      12%
    • 2 machines. You have a choice so it’s an arcade. 5 votes
      12%
    • 3 machines. Your collection is starting to concern your un-fun friends and family. 5 votes
      12%
    • 4 machines. Which one do I play first? 6 votes
      14%
    • 5+ machines. It’s only an arcade when it needs it’s own circuit box. 21 votes
      50%

(42 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

076BB3D1-CC96-4593-9C54-410A5BB864AB (resized).jpeg
    FACDB158-0809-41FB-9201-7FD1F16BEC64 (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

I guess you could ask this question a few different ways, but what number of pinball machines really stands out, as you are collecting, that makes you think you’ve finally made it over the hump and have an official arcade on your hands?

#2 5 years ago

arcade noun
    ar·​cade | \är-ˈkād \
    plural arcades
    Definition of arcade
    1 : a long arched building or gallery
    2a : an arched covered passageway or avenue (as between shops)
    b chiefly British : a building that includes many shops
    A job fair … today will introduce locals to the details of the 250 jobs that a new shopping arcade will bring when its doors open this autumn.
    — The Journal (Newcastle, England)
    3 : a series of arches with their columns or piers
    4 : an amusement center having coin-operated games

#3 5 years ago

It’s not just the machines, it’s the atmosphere. An arcade could be two machines imho, IF there are tons of arcade stuff around. A change machine, signs, posters, etc. you’ll know it when you feel it. But more machines makes the bar lower. Another way to look at it, if the room is overwhelmingly dedicated to arcades/pins and their history and operation, it’s an arcade. And yes if friends and family are concerned....ya made it congratulations.

076BB3D1-CC96-4593-9C54-410A5BB864AB (resized).jpeg076BB3D1-CC96-4593-9C54-410A5BB864AB (resized).jpegFACDB158-0809-41FB-9201-7FD1F16BEC64 (resized).jpegFACDB158-0809-41FB-9201-7FD1F16BEC64 (resized).jpeg

#4 5 years ago

Atmosphere is a huge part, yeah. I've seen some places with loads of pins that I wouldn't call an "arcade", and some places with just a handful that take me back to being a kid. If you have three pins, a blacklight, and a swirly carpet, it's an arcade.

#5 5 years ago

You wouldn't call the Big Hit Shed an Arcade? Neither would I.......

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

arcade noun
    ar·​cade | \är-ˈkād \
    plural arcades
    Definition of arcade
    1 : a long arched building or gallery

From the only dictionary that really matters:
    Urbandictionary.com

Arcade
    1. A great place where you can go to play video games. Very popular in the 80's.

2. An awesome band formed by Fred Coury of Cinderella, and Stephen Pearcy of Ratt, in the early 90's.
    1. Hey man, I went to the arcade last night and kicked this one guy's ass when I played him at Mortal Kombat!

2. I was listening to "Dancin' With The Angels" by Arcade last night, that is one awesome band!

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

Atmosphere is a huge part, yeah. I've seen some places with loads of pins that I wouldn't call an "arcade", and some places with just a handful that take me back to being a kid. If you have three pins, a blacklight, and a swirly carpet, it's an arcade.

Totally agree on carpet.
    I just have a arcade style rug that I paid 10 bucks for but once I threw it down it just made it feel right

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-machines-does-an-arcade-make?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.