(Topic ID: 100167)

How many EM's should one have in their collection?

By FirePower

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Chrisbee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How many EM's should one have in their collection?”

• None 13 votes
      13%
    • 1 19 votes
      20%
    • 2-5 36 votes
      37%
    • 6-10 7 votes
      7%
    • 11-15 2 votes
      2%
    • 16-20 7 votes
      7%
    • 50 2 votes
      2%
    • 100 11 votes
      11%
    • All from a single manufacturer 0 votes

(97 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4b7d2ff538a3c93df6e5a161a966e27e.jpg
    img_1230.jpg
    220303.jpg
    DSCN2952.JPG
    th-601.jpeg
    269526-i.jpg
    index.jpg
    chimineas.jpg
    th-910.jpeg
    sarcasm.jpg
    There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

Simple question to answer my wife's inquiry.

#2 9 years ago

20. You have 19, so the answer is 20.

#3 9 years ago

If the number you have is X, the perfect number is always X+1.

#4 9 years ago

I really don't have TOO much interest in EM's with exception for a select few themes simply for the themes alone, so I vote for 1.
    I'm hoping my collection will eventually turn into 2-3 examples of each generation/system. ($#!+, guess I shoulda voted 2-5! ) I appreciate the history so I wanted to include an example or two, but I don't feel enough attraction to go overboard.

#5 9 years ago

Well I like the number "At least 1". EMs are just amazing, and everyone should have at least one in their collection. Otherwise, their collection is simply incomplete.

#6 9 years ago

I've got 4 in a collection of 18 games, and I think that's a good number. About 1/4 to 1/3 of a collection being EMs allows for a nice, diverse collection. Your mileage may vary.

#7 9 years ago

Is this a trick question?

#8 9 years ago

well how many different EMs were made?

one of each would work nicely

--Jeff

#9 9 years ago

All EM's, as many as you can fit in your entire house.

Ken

#10 9 years ago

At least one Williams, Bally, Gottlieb. Maybe a Chicago Coin.

#11 9 years ago

I agree with the formula. I have seven, plus one Gottlieb Sys 1. I should have eight

I also have a wife, which is why I don't have eight. Or more than that.

#12 9 years ago

So the wife wants to know how much is too many. Tell her you will not complain about the number of shoes she has if she does not complain about the amount of pins you have.

#13 9 years ago

IMHO anywhere up to 30 because once you get more than 30 I've heard maintenance on all the games to keep them running is quite a bit.

Oh, btw, 30 em's is the only option

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from cantbfrank:

So the wife wants to know how much is too many. Tell her you will not complain about the number of shoes she has if she does not complain about the amount of pins you have.

Yeah, that won't go very far. The shoes don't take up room like the pins. That's the answer you'll get.

I know. From experience.

#15 9 years ago

Yeah, I agree with Ken. How many should you have? How many can you fit?

#16 9 years ago

I voted 2-5, because there are just so many EM's to pick from (I have 1 Bally, Gottlieb, Williams, Chicago Coin, Sonic (SegaSA)). Ideally if you have room include 1 wood rail, early EM, late EM, and something with zipper flippers and/or multiball (ie - 4 Million BC).

#17 9 years ago

I would say it depends on how many pins total you can fit in your collection. I am a four maximum household and have one. So I say one for every four. If you can fit eight, then you need two. If you can fit twelve you need three, and so on.

#18 9 years ago

As many as you can.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

I would say it depends on how many pins total you can fit in your collection. I am a four maximum household and have one. So I say one for every four. If you can fit eight, then you need two. If you can fit twelve you need three, and so on.

Hence the name practicalsteve.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

As many as you can.

Ya,,,,,,,, but do really need to have a pin in the guest bathroom?

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

No... But I have one in me and my wifes bedroom. Two in the dinning room, two in the home office...

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

If it would fit, then yes.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballdork:

No... But I have one in me and my wifes bedroom

Ahhh... the other use for a Pinball Machine, a Night Light!

#24 9 years ago

Lets get the humor here.
    A pinball machine in the Master Bedroom, an en suite bathroom, throw in a Microwave. Then you would only have to venture out for food.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

I wanted to put a cocktail pin in our guest bathroom. Thought that was the ideal place for one. Didn't happen though.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Lets get the humor here.
    A pinball machine in the Master Bedroom,

Nothing funny about it. The master bedroom at my house is a pinball workshop. I sleep in a small room in the back. A bed only takes up so much space.

#27 9 years ago

This is the balance I think I want to maintain in my 10-pin gameroom:

2 EMs
    4 Solid State (pre-DMD)
    4 DMD

If I can take over the bar and empty out the "storage room" in the basement, my SS and EM counts will go up.

#28 9 years ago

ZERO EMs for me, happy to play them a few times at the pinball joints around here and on location when I see them but I don't want any in my house, just not enough room or enjoyment for me to own one.

I appreciate them a ton and love the nostalgia and history behind them but just not my thing. Now on that note if I had room for 25+ pins then I might consider one EM but not with my current space.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from bemmett:

ZERO EMs for me, happy to play them a few times at the pinball joints around here and on location when I see them but I don't want any in my house, just not enough room or enjoyment for me to own one.
    I appreciate them a ton and love the nostalgia and history behind them but just not my thing. Now on that note if I had room for 25+ pins then I might consider one EM but not with my current space.

It must be a bummer only having room for 17 games. I understand that these hard choices have to be made.

#30 9 years ago

40%

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

It must be a bummer only having room for 17 games. I understand that these hard choices have to be made.

sarcasm.jpgsarcasm.jpg

#32 9 years ago

the answer could be is "more than I need."

#33 9 years ago

I believe in the 'at least one', but as others have said, depends on the size of the collection. It has always been my desire to have at least one game from each "era". I've never had a single player EM, the oldest I've had was a two player Derby Day, so I'd like to get a classic wedgehead one of these days. Also need a wood rail. I'm also missing a late 80s alphanumeric since I sold my BK2K. I also have a 'gap' at the other end, sort of, since the newest game in my collection is LOTR (well, technically the newest are my two custom games). Problem is I have no more room at the moment.

#34 9 years ago

A friend of mine has one from each decade.

#35 9 years ago

1 of 6 (so 20%) I don't care what anyone says.. because I'm counting my Encore shuffle bowler as one. And I still want to squish an old woodrail in there somewhere someday.

#36 9 years ago

I'm only missing a woodrail. For some reason they just don't grab me.

I have 7 EMs. Mostly late 60 to mid 70 GTB and 1 early 70s Williams EM. I do have an early 60s Chicago Coin EM ball bowler and late 60s Chicago Coin EM gun game.

Personally, everyone needs at least one EM and one early SS game.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Personally, everyone needs at least one EM and one early SS game.

At least!

#38 9 years ago

Every collector must/should have at least 1.

#39 9 years ago

While I agree, I wish you wouldn't say it. Then we get DMD collectors that feel they are obligated to get one even though they may not be particularly interested. Next thing you know a classic EM is all LED'd and some guy is trying to figure out a way he can replace all the guts with a microprocessor.

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Next thing you know a classic EM is all LED'd and some guy is trying to figure out a way he can replace all the guts with a microprocessor.

And trying to cook a perfect steak using propane.

#41 9 years ago

I have had a good steak cooked over propane. But if your looking for perfect….

#42 9 years ago

th-910.jpegth-910.jpeg

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I have had a good steak cooked over propane. But if your looking for perfect….

I cook with Almond wood in a chimera. Best cooking source ever. lol I fitted a grill to fit at the top. Enough room for 3 steaks.

chimineas.jpgchimineas.jpg

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

I cook with Almond wood in a chimera. Best cooking source ever. lol I fitted a grill to fit at the top. Enough room for 3 steaks.

I'm not eating anything cooked in a chimera. The word you are looking for is Chimnea. Although a chimera is getting really close to LIONMAN!

index.jpgindex.jpg

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

Nope quite easy, No EMs. Keeps the decisions much easier and less options to choose from.

#46 9 years ago

^^^^Must be a propaner^^^^

#47 9 years ago

The best way to cook a steak is over a glowing hot bed of wood embers. I did that in the wee hours of the morning as a campfire was reduced to a roasting hot bed of embers. Slapped the steak into a grilling basket and laid it over the coals. Flipped it a few minutes later, and when it was done, we passed it around, each of us carving off a sliver, then passing it to the next person sitting around the fire. Many said it was the best steak they'd ever eaten. It was yummy!

Oh, BTW. The more EMs, the better!

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

The best way to cook a steak is over a glowing hot bed of wood embers. I did that in the wee hours of the morning as a campfire was reduced to a roasting hot bed of embers. Slapped the steak into a grilling basket and laid it over the coals. Flipped it a few minutes later, and when it was done, we passed it around, each of us carving off a sliver, then passing it to the next person sitting around the fire. Many said it was the best steak they'd ever eaten. It was yummy!
    Oh, BTW. The more EMs, the better!

The great thing about these forums is that they stimulate passion! Great EMs, Great camaraderie, and, great Steaks!
    Joe...you hit it right. Throw on the filets, I'm bringing the Cabernet. Party!!

Cheers
    Joel

#49 9 years ago

And I said hot coals, not hot COILS!

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from oldcarz:

The great thing about these forums is that they stimulate passion! Great EMs, Great camaraderie, and, great Steaks!

Amen!
    269526-i.jpg269526-i.jpg

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-ems-should-one-have-in-their-collection and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.