Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I’ve commented on Pinside about my favorite pins, but really it’s limited to the ones I’ve played. IPDB has 6111 pinballs listed and I’ve probably only played 45 or so, as a guess. You’d have to be a serious collector and/or near one, to really have the opportunity to play more.
    Just wondering, how many different EM pins do you think you’ve played?

#2 6 years ago

I've probably played about 75-100 different ones, but most of that was just walking up to them at shows, plunging the ball and flipping once, and then quitting because they played like crap. Of those, probably only ~40 have I played more than one whole game on, enough usually to have a feel for how they play. 20 of those were ones I own(ed)

#3 6 years ago

A hundred at most. Problem is, you're not going to find many on location. Best bet are pinball shows, as a lot seem to show up there. Pinball Hall of Fame has quite a few in Vegas. And you're right, if you know of a local collector with a bunch that's probably your best short term fix.

#4 6 years ago

Back in the 70's I played more than I can remember. At least a hundred different titles. I've owned about 15 myself. Pinball shows over the last 15 years? Add another hundred. Not many Gottlieb EM's from 1965-77 I haven't played. They are my favorite EM's.

#5 6 years ago

Wished I knew.

#6 6 years ago

Likely 300+ as I've been to a few California shows to up that number.

#7 6 years ago

The Pinball Museum in Banning, CA must have a hundred or so. I have played most.

#8 6 years ago

At least 100.

#9 6 years ago

There are so many that I have heard are good but have never had the opportunity to play. That's why it was fun a few years back when you could always find non-working projects for $200-$300. It usually required a shop job but was a low risk opportunity to try something new. Those deals seemed to have dried up for the most part.

Visiting a collection like Tom Taylors is a great opportunity to play a bunch of great EMs. The trouble is there are so many it's hard to stay focused.

#10 6 years ago

If you are on the upper east coast, head to the Silverball Museum in Asbury Park NJ. You will increase your number for this, and have a blast. They have some great EMs to play.

Personally I don’t have any idea about my number. But I can tell the difference between a fun EM and one I don’t like. So I would say I’ve played enough

I love when I find a gem of a game and friends are around. Good times.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

So I would say I’ve played enough

Every time I think this for myself, I run up against an EM at a show someplace I've never played and I'm blown away by it. Seems like there's a bottomless selection of fantastic hidden gems out there in EM Land.

#12 6 years ago

Interesting EM question. A fair guess for me would be 125 to 200. Playing EM pins since the late 1960's, until the S.S. surge in 1978. Couple of visits to the Pinball Hall of Fame. Pinball friends EM games.

#13 6 years ago

Would it be embarrassing to say I've played less EMs than I own?

I'm uhmm....asking for a friend of course

#14 6 years ago

No idea. But I picked up a Target Alpha tonight

#15 6 years ago

Maybe 300 different EM's. Played a bunch of rare games wood rails this weekend at my friends...love these. I was blown away by complexity of '54 Lady Luck.. so many ways to win.

#16 6 years ago

Thinking back to all the different places I hung out growing up, and then adding what they have at the Seattle Pinball Museum, I'd guess 35-40.

#17 6 years ago

I have played dozens of EM machines at the pinball museum in banning, CA. wow what a change of pace these games are. its really fun to play a bunch of em games and just to hear the sounds and see the ball react so differently is a great change of pace. I love how the games are shot oriented and quick to learn. I am too young to be nostalgic about them, but I cant resist playing them every time I go to the museum. they have a huge selection of EMs there and it's always a good time.

#18 6 years ago

What is an EM?

#19 6 years ago

No where near enough and I have played A LOT!

#20 6 years ago

Maybe 10-12 EMs we didn't have a lot of money and quarters were a precious thing. Also living in a town your options are limited without a car.

#21 6 years ago

I've got a friend who has around 40 that I've played many times. If you add in all that I've played at shows over the years I have to be well over 100 but probably less than 200.

#22 6 years ago

There are only a few Gottliebs that I haven't played starting with the metal rail era. My brother keeps track of such things, and says he has played every domestic Gottlieb wedgehead. The last one he played which completed the series was "Road Race". For some reason, it took a while to come across one of them. I've probably played just about every Bally multi-player game, but not so many of the elusive single-player titles from the sixties.
    Probably have played most Williams metal rail games as well, but I don't think I've ever played a "4 Roses".

Quoted from AlexF:

Visiting a collection like Tom Taylors is a great opportunity to play a bunch of great EMs.

Is Tom and his fantastic collection still around? I haven't heard anything from him or about him in a loooong time.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Is Tom and his fantastic collection still around? I haven't heard anything from him or about him in a loooong time.

Yes, he and his collection are still going. He has never been on the forums.

#24 6 years ago

Tom's collection is available for play again at this year's MGC. A special ticket is needed. He is a part of the new Gizmo Games team who's first two games are pitch and bats.

#25 6 years ago

Around (best guess) 350-400 EMs. Mostly GTBs, next WMS, and then CC and others. Some rare, some duplicate as expected. Both in my collection and other larger collections. Of course way back in the day on location (tons that were new releases), at shows like Allentown, York, TPF, PPE, pacNW shows. About as many at other locations like PHoF, Banning, VFW, and many more. It adds up very quickly.

Its my guess and limited recent memory with a tad of understanding TT is relocating south or going to, and is in the process of finding homes for his collection. Witnessed a recent claimed sale from RIs collection of EMs being sold off in part to make room for modern games. After all, business is what pays the bills, and eventually you have to pay or shut down. These collections are amazing, really quite nice and complete, and I believe TT, RI (2x) and TA (hand built) all have TKO. Rare stuff, hard to find, and in generally really good condition. So, go enjoy them on location and at these arcades before they shut down. As TA has said so well "... there is no guarantee these games will be here tomorrow, so come on out and see them before they go away." After all, fear of loss marketing does work.

I have a sad feeling eventually RI and company will be mostly crane games (jk).

#26 6 years ago

Prob only like 6-7. I just bought a Fireball EM tho and I'm so hooked. Def wanna play more

#27 6 years ago

I've played most of Tim's and Clay's collections, so maybe 100 different titles?

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Maybe 10-12 EMs we didn't have a lot of money and quarters were a precious thing. Also living in a town your options are limited without a car.

Quarter? When I 1st started they were a nickel, then went to a dime for 1 play or 3 for a quarter. Gottlieb wedgheads at the local bowling alley.

#29 6 years ago

Fewer than a dozen, maybe even less than 10.

#30 6 years ago

Probably easier to say what EMs that I have yet to play.
    (I need to take time to come up with that unplayed list)
    Probably played better than 95% of them from 1960 to present
    and most of the single player GTB wood rails from the 50s (most maybe only a few times).
    Lucky enough to have had exposure to many vast collections beside my own
    including the VFW, PHoF, PPM and Randy Peck's Collection
    and Sam Harvey's and Glen Peter'sand Larry Z's and o-din's collections and Matt Cristano's pinball ranch
    and been to multiple shows like Expo, and Banning and PPE
    and CAEX and PAGG and Herb Silvers Pinball Fantasy shows to name a few.
    Probably lacking a lot of the 50s multiplayers and few of the rarer early/mid 60s Multiplayers.
    But there are probably only about a 100 EM pins that i have truly played dozens of games on
    to truly judge or try and master the game.

Yet to find or play a WMS Whoopee!!!

#31 6 years ago

We've added a significant number of EMs to the list of games at the VFW/Ann Arbor show in the last 6 months. Especially a lot of 1960s Bally EM games, but also Gottlieb and Williams EMs too.

#32 6 years ago

I've played one! Volley. Was the only one I've owned and it was years ago. I traded a guy a 12pack for it at one of my first jobs. He told me it didn't work and "it was one you couldn't open to work on". I traded, picked it up, had it open and working that night. We had that thing for years and even had it in our kitchen at our last house. I had to sell it, that and it turned into a catch all table. It was fun though! I can still hear the chimes in my head from that game! That and something would happen and I'd have to reach in the back and push on a relay to get credits. Or unjam it, I can't exactly remember why we had to do that my wife even had that down so she could keep playing it.

#33 6 years ago

I've owned about 25? I'd have to guess that I have played at least 75 more. Unfortunately most EMs that I come across play like crap. I love when I come across some at a show or a friend's house that play like they are supposed to.

#34 6 years ago

Thanks for sharing. I’ll have to visit one of these big collections and ask to stay a few days

#35 6 years ago

Between Florida Arcade & Pinball Expo, ReplayFX, and Modern Pinball NYC I would say I've played around 20-30 different ones. Right now at MP they have a Sonic Prospector which I think plays very nicely, not really sure which is my favorite however. They are indeed a nice change of pace, but with some of the improvements seen in modern machines, they can get frustrating at times.

I wish I could play more.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

My brother keeps track of such things, and says he has played every domestic Gottlieb wedgehead.

Well, according to my brother's count, he has played 557 different EM pinball machines including 284 Gottliebs. As I said, he keeps track of such things. Back in the '70s, I used to keep a log of all the games I saw at each location. If we went back to a place and a game was gone, it was put in parentheses. I still have that book. There were many locations back then that had EM pins, most had several. We helped run an arcade for a couple of weeks one summer. As I recall, almost no one showed up to play during that whole time! We had the keys to all the games, and it was great to have our way with them. Those were the days!

#37 6 years ago

<blockquote cite="#4048898"
    Probably have played most Williams metal rail games as well, but I don't think I've ever played a "4 Roses".

JR, if u get to the left coast, you can play mine. And of course, it’s for sale. Great game, I just don’t love gobble holes.

#38 6 years ago

Maybe 25-30 for me..but in a couple days, I get to see/play a North Star to potentially buy..I’m stoked!!
    But the g friend doesn’t know that..shhhhh..

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

Maybe 25-30 for me..but in a couple days, I get to see/play a North Star to potentially buy..I’m stoked!!
    But the g friend doesn’t know that..shhhhh..

One of the best pins ever. You'll love "North Star" if it's playing correctly.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

<blockquote cite="#4048898"
    JR, if u get to the left coast, you can play mine. And of course, it’s for sale. Great game, I just don’t love gobble holes.

Thanks. I haven't been out to the left coast in a few years, and unfortunately my base of employment is no longer out there.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-ems-have-you-played?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.