(Topic ID: 101734)

How many days until the STLE's go on sale????

By thedarkknight77

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Skypilot
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-288.jpg
Proximity.png

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

And 90% of Karl's call outs are fantastic, hardly a bust. Your just over reading into that 10% which is being voiced in hopes Steve Ritchie's team is listening and resolves.

Thanks for the input Eskaybee! I have not played it yet so it's good to hear positive feedback as the game was a good game to begin with. You are correct that we love to focus on the negative rather than the positive.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If you like fast Ritchie games, you might. The rules and presentation is different enough that they don't feel like clones even if they have a few similar elements. The Warp ramp may LOOK like the Venom ramp, but the gameplay of it is totally different. It's hard for me to compare because I had SM for 5 years or so and prob like 5000 plays on it before I sold it. I'm really enjoying STLE, but I've only had it for less than a year. While I think Spider-Man will always be the better overall game, one thing I'm really digging about STLE is the "choose your own adventure" aspect of it. When I finally started getting bored of Spidey, it's because every game started to feel very linear. ST gives you the choices to mix things up a bit more.

I don't disagree with anything above. After 5k plays I can seeing moving on from Spidey. The thing I like about SM is even if i get into a mode of it feeling linear and stale I can leave it alone for awhile and come back to it and reignite the love affair! I love the flow and and shots on SM.

To me, the beauty of pinball is being able to play several different pins and get a thrill out of each one, for all the nuances and differences that they offer. I like different play/themes

Quoted from TimeBandit:

Exactly. I moved SM out specifically to get ST.

Even though I would never do that, I can see wanting to play something new in a smaller collection.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Thanks for the input Eskaybee! I have not played it yet so it's good to hear positive feedback as they game was a good game to begin with. You are correct that we love to focus on the negative rather than the positive.

Here's the truth: We know Stern is listening, so right now it's better to talk about things we'd love to see, and also there are some bugs that a fix needs to address (and I'm sure it will, and soon) so it's good to be vocal about those too. Squeaky wheel and all that.

Don't get the idea that the new code isn't a massive improvement, because it is! It's so much more fun now, the wood chopping is totally gone, Galactic modes make you excited to play level 1 modes instead of wishing you could just skip through them. Total game changer.

The new audio is so nice to have. Not a bust at all. There are some things I think could have been better, and some fixes I wouldn't mind seeing, but it's a huge improvement.

I'd say that this is a solid 1.5, and we need to maybe get to 1.6 to see it all fully realized. Which is what happened with Metallica too really.

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Here's the truth: We know Stern is listening, so right now it's better to talk about things we'd love to see, and also there are some bugs that a fix needs to address (and I'm sure it will, and soon) so it's good to be vocal about those too. Squeaky wheel and all that.

If Stern is listening, do you think he will listen regarding code? Not having to wait a year later for an update?

Why they can't do incremental updates is beyond me.

When ST first came out everybody was excited about how advanced the code was from prior releases. Once again, you would have been better off just waiting a year later to buy it. Cheaper and more complete code. Who is going to keep buying these pins up front if it keeps up?

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Why they can't do incremental updates is beyond me.

I don't think that's really as easy as people think. A lot of pinball code is all about the interdependent relationships. You have to test and balance the whole package, just doing one part won't always work. Especially if you release something, and then have to totally change it when you realize it's not working right with another new part. People would get frustrated with that too.

I'm certainly not happy about unfinished code, or the long wait times. But it might be a "is what it is" reality, and until we start voting with our wallets it's probably not going to stop.

I'm hoping if nothing else that we see a bug fix release for 1.5 soon. This code was probably pushed out a little early to hit the holiday weekend, and be out before TWD, and needs a little more polish time. Hopefully all our testing and feedback will come in handy.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Could be worse. Could be like Avengers where you can't give them away

Well, considering the game isn't as good as Avengers it just might get worse. Do you really find a 25% depreciation on an $8k game that hard to believe? Bubble Boy?

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Wrong on sooooooo many levels. The game is mad crazy FUN! Tons of points strategies and depth strategies. Risk/reward elements exist. It's tough to get to the 2nd and 3rd wizard modes but those shouldn't be a gimmie and I now find myself enjoying to press start again to see how ill do on the next galactic even. I mean when you have galactic ramps at 1-2 mil per ramp, or galactic warps at 2mil+ or hit galactic vengeance for 12mil! It's bad ass and a great feeling. What's great about it is not every game is the same. It depends on how you tackle the mission grid in relation to how you set up your warp ramp double scoring and/or stacking with mbs.
And 90% of Karl's call outs are fantastic, hardly a bust. Your just over reading into that 10% which is being voiced in hopes Steve Ritchie's team is listening and resolves.

Dude, how many months did ACDC last after you proclaimed it wrested your "all time top spot" away from LOTR? We get it. You like the game. It's good...but its probably already on the way out.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Dude, how many months did ACDC last after you proclaimed it wrested your "all time top spot" away from LOTR? We get it. You like the game. It's good...but its probably already on the way out.

Acdc nested in the top spot after a year of ownership. But as I started comparing some of what makes LoTR so magical for me personally, I couldn't get that in acdc. To me, what makes a game special is when you come back to playing it after not touching it for weeks (or even months) and rediscover it. Acdc didn't have this for me, it felt like too much work. It's one of the best, don't get me wrong , just not THE best....for my personal rating system. So after nearly 2 years of owning it, I moved on. Know how long I owned LoTR before moving on from it...? 6 1/2 years!

#59 5 years ago

If you're tired of a game then sell it. Worrying about what other people think about their own games is pointless.

I have zero interest in ever owning an Avengers, and I thought the movie was great. Don't think it's a horrible game, but eh, too many issues and flaws and things that just don't appeal to me. If you love it then great, enjoy. I have no interest in trying to convince you that you shouldn't like it, and just about the same interest in hearing why I should change my mind. I'll play some more games on it next time I see it, that's all that counts for me.

If you don't like Star Trek then hey, that's fine too, I couldn't care less. Unless you're someone I call to ask for advice before I spend my money then your opinion on a game just doesn't mean a whole lot. Pinside ratings mean squat to me. I should probably rate more games just to contribute, but I honestly have trouble working myself up to care. It's a pointless contest.

So to get up into someone's face over selling a game? Or whether they like something enough? Who cares? Get over yourself.

#60 5 years ago

I think he was trying to point out what he perceived to be hypocrisy by someone who declared a pin at "their all time number 1 spot" only to later remove it from that spot and then sell the game.

The problem of course is that our opinions can all change over time. Not to mention that there can be a lot of reasons to sell a pin, even if it's one that you consider one of your favorites.

I'm doing a shakeup of my lineup, and will be selling two pins that I consider to be favorites. I expect to get similar accusations of hypocrisy and "if it was so great why did you sell yours" posts, but I know how I feel about the games regardless of what someone else tries to tell me.

#61 5 years ago

You know right now my fav is STLE but will I have it forever? Probably not and who cares, I just sold my Metallica Pre which has to be one of the best pins I've ever played to date but after 6 months I'm done. The big problem as I see it with pinball collectors is letting go, just play the god damn pin until your bored and sell. If you say its your fav, well who cares? I don't, like Aurich said the ratings mean nothing and unless asked neither does anyone's opinion as one mans fav pin is another's worst.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you're tired of a game then sell it. Worrying about what other people think about their own games is pointless.
I have zero interest in ever owning an Avengers, and I thought the movie was great. Don't think it's a horrible game, but eh, too many issues and flaws and things that just don't appeal to me. If you love it then great, enjoy. I have no interest in trying to convince you that you shouldn't like it, and just about the same interest in hearing why I should change my mind. I'll play some more games on it next time I see it, that's all that counts for me.
If you don't like Star Trek then hey, that's fine too, I couldn't care less. Unless you're someone I call to ask for advice before I spend my money then your opinion on a game just doesn't mean a whole lot. Pinside ratings mean squat to me. I should probably rate more games just to contribute, but I honestly have trouble working myself up to care. It's a pointless contest.
So to get up into someone's face over selling a game? Or whether they like something enough? Who cares? Get over yourself.

Geez, lighten up dude.

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I think he was trying to point out what he perceived to be hypocrisy by someone who declared a pin at "their all time number 1 spot" only to later remove it from that spot and then sell the game.
The problem of course is that our opinions can all change over time. Not to mention that there can be a lot of reasons to sell a pin, even if it's one that you consider one of your favorites.
I'm doing a shakeup of my lineup, and will be selling two pins that I consider to be favorites. I expect to get similar accusations of hypocrisy and "if it was so great why did you sell yours" posts, but I know how I feel about the games regardless of what someone else tries to tell me.

You nailed it. I don't think Eskaybee is a hypocrite AT ALL, but I do think he gets highly excited over games he likes, plays them to death, voices his opinions enthusiastically (nothing wrong with that!) and then cuts the cord. And the cord seems to be getting shorter and shorter with every game!

I seem to share Eskaybees taste in games. Yours too, actually, which is why I find it interesting that you and Eskaybee differ so much on ST. You guys go in sync for awhile (ACDC, LOTR) and out of sync (ST, XMEN). I actually like all these games, but ST is not in the same class as the others. Eskaybee loved Avengers too, which means he can rise above the noise... But he hates SM, which indicates that he's clearly insane!

Now Aurich? I wouldn't waste a dime calling him for his opinion.

#64 5 years ago

Well, considering the game isn't as good as Avengers it just might get worse. Do you really find a 25% depreciation on an $8k game that hard to believe? Bubble Boy?

It was a joke of course because I know how much you like Avengers. That's why I put the kidding face at the end of it

#65 5 years ago

You nailed it. I don't think Eskaybee is a hypocrite AT ALL, but I do think he gets highly excited over games he likes, plays them to death, voices his opinions enthusiastically (nothing wrong with that!) and then cuts the cord. And the cord seems to be getting shorter and shorter with every game!
I seem to share Eskaybees taste in games. Yours too, actually, which is why I find it interesting that you and Eskaybee differ so much on ST. You guys go in sync for awhile (ACDC, LOTR) and out of sync (ST, XMEN). I actually like all these games, but ST is not in the same class as the others. Eskaybee loved Avengers too, which means he can rise above the noise... But he hates SM, which indicates that he's clearly insane!
Now Aurich? I wouldn't waste a dime calling him for his opinion.

I have yet to meet anyone in this hobby who I agree with all the time in terms of pins I enjoy or don't enjoy. Smassa is someone who I tend to agree with perhaps more than anyone, but we still have some real differences of opinion (his disdain for LOTR for one, and while I like SM I don't love it like he does).

#66 5 years ago

Speculative trouble makers! LOL. STLE is a top ten pin. Fast and fun.

#67 5 years ago

My head is spinning just reading this! Think I will pour some vino, Head down to the man cave and get my ass kicked on my STLE.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside