8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Atomicboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

wax-wars.jpg

#1 8 years ago

how many coats of wax do you put on your playfields and how long do you wait or let it dry inbetween coats? I have cleaned my playfield with novus 2 but I am now ready to wax need to get started just need help.

#2 8 years ago

One good coat suffices but really depends on the overall condition. You dont have to wait too long as it really only needs to haze up. 5 minutes maybe. Visual inspection will indicate when its dry. I try not to take on the whole playfield at once. Now get to it and remember...wax on wax off rdonohueson.

#3 8 years ago

I do 2 coats w/ Johnson's and no more than 5 minutes apart.

#4 8 years ago

Eh, they say that if you use a wax with any cleaners it takes the previous coat off. My philosphy is that if I am going through all the trouble of stripping the playfield spending 20 minutes to put a few extra coats of wax on is no big deal.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

One good coat suffices but really depends on the overall condition

I guess I should clarify my statement. What I meant by overall condition is that it depends on the last time it was waxed , how often its waxed and if you are performing a complete teardown of playfield. I totally agree with yenningcomity in that situation. I have a 3 stage buffing kit when I get to that point. Really brings out that "wetlook" shine. Once the playfield obtains that it does not require much repeat waxing.

#6 8 years ago

Yeah and I have no idea how long it has been since it has been waxed. I cleaned it real well with novus two then cleaned off the residue with one. let it dry and then put down one solid coat of wax so far. I stayed away from the wax with cleaner just got a nice carnuba wax. I think I am going to put a second coat on the whole thing and then start reassembling and perhaps as I go put a third coat on some more heavily used areas.

#7 8 years ago

This depends on the game. You shouldn't need wax on diamond playfields, and this will usually cost you more if you CC as the wax is a bitch to get out of the insert edges and won't allow the cc to adhear.

I have stopped waxing diamond plated WPCs and simply novus 2 and polish. Comes out nice.

#8 8 years ago

If Novus 2 is a polish, would it not be stripping at least some of the previously laid down wax? If the pf had only a light waxing, I would imagine the Novus would strip a good deal of the wax requiring a new application of wax after. Variables being how much of a wax was already on the pf and how aggressive one cleans/polishes with Novus.

#9 8 years ago

Depends.. How long is a piece of string?!

Condition, wear, age etc.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

You shouldn't need wax on diamond playfields

really? i waxed my FT today and it playes mega nice now. fast and accurate shots.
    In fact i completed the super jackpot for the first time ever on my first game after waxing (life has lost it's meaning after i conquered super jackpot)

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Thunderpants:

really? i waxed my FT today and it playes mega nice now. fast and accurate shots.
    In fact i completed the super jackpot for the first time ever on my first game after waxing (life has lost it's meaning after i conquered super jackpot)

Really. Yes, it will play somewhat faster, but that isn't always a good thing. As for need, you don't "need" it on diamond PF's as a HUO game should not get enough use in it's life to wear anywhere.

Wax is for older machines to protect the non-auto cc'd PF's.

I used to wax the hell out of my TAF, and I would hit the bear ramp so hard the ball would rocket out of the ramp and fire against the upper left switch. It really is preference, but if you plan to ever CC it, be warned.

#12 8 years ago

what is the downside to waxing other than too much speed and power?

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Wax is for older machines to protect the non-auto cc'd PF's.

I guess we don't need to wax our cars either, since they have clear coats on them?

A clear coated pf can still benefit from being waxed, just like a car with a CC benefits from being waxed.

#14 8 years ago

When I completely strip a playfield down for a shopping I use two coats. One all over and then another focusing on the areas the ball travels. I usually wait about 30 mins to let it dry then buff off. When I am just maintaining I use one coat.

I did not wax my LOTR when I first got it because people said it didn't need it. There are ball trails on the most traveled areas such as the inlanes and orbits. I waxed my SM when I first got it and have none. Both were NIB.

If you regularly wax you rarely will need to use Novus2 on the playfield to get it shiny again. I just use Novus1 and wax. My 2 cents.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I guess we don't need to wax our cars either, since they have clear coats on them?
    A clear coated pf can still benefit from being waxed, just like a car with a CC benefits from being waxed.

If you plan on moving them inside, sticking them in a box and covering them with glass, I would say no wax. Also, if you plan on moving your PF's outside, and removing them from the cabs and exposing them to the weather year round, yes, waxing your wpc is for you.

All joking aside, whether there are benefits of speed or no ball trails (I actually find the wax makes this stick more), my point is wax is not *needed* on diamond PFs. It's not a big issue to do, which I agree, unless you ever want to send it off for cc'ing or you don't mind replacing more broken plastics than usual.

#16 8 years ago

Well, with 20 machines in your collection i'll take your advise.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Much as one would strip, polish (and even clay), and then re-wax a car, I think any waxed surface can suffer from too much wax. A polish (Novus) would serve to strip the wax. So it would reason that if one regularly uses Novus, wax would also regularly need to be reapplied. If one simply keeps the waxed surface clean, new wax would only need to be applied occasionally and lightly. Nonetheless, eventually the waxed pf would need to be stripped and rewaxed at some point

#18 8 years ago

..It it needs a wax/polish.. DO IT!

It doesn't matter about age, Diamond Plate etc

#19 8 years ago

The war has begun

wax-wars.jpg

#20 8 years ago

Correct.

#21 8 years ago

The best results I have found is to clean with novus 2.I use a drill with round buffing pad.Wip off. Then by hand apply Johnson's paste wax.Let it dry for 30 min.Then rub off with soft side of a sweat shirt cut into rags.It take some elbow grease to buff off the paste wax but it will leave a hard coat and incredible shine.Then use can of air to blow off dust.(Johnson's Paste Wax) is the best,IMO !!

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballParadise:

Why does a DP PF *need* wax? Please, give me a reason. You may prefer that, but it doesn't need it, where other less protected types of PFs do need it.

I find it hard to believe that in a home use environment there will ever be wear to a DP PF. Most of the wear to DP PFs in the first place were not even from excessive play, but from rusty/pitted pinballs. I’m sure you have seen for example TAFs. In all cases I’m sure the chair hole was chewed to shit, but the PF condition on most is still perfect, wear wise. With that amount of play over how many years, with I’m sure no op maintenance whatsoever, clearly waxing the hell out of a now and for the future HUO machine will not be needed, as in a necessity.

The biggest PF thing you need to worry about is rusty/pitted pinballs. They were the only thing in my opinion that could cause damage to a PD PF. I always use new ones with new additions.

Again (and again and again) it’s a moot point, but achieving a very nice shine from wax, takes a long time with a lot of work. Cleaning with N2 and buffing that out takes no time, and it shines on like a crazy diamond. Not to mention the wax only adds to the crap that gets built up everywhere in the star posts and such.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Republic Of Pinball
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.00
    Boards
    Tilted Pinball
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 315.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    liorillusion
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 800.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside