(Topic ID: 193920)

How many bytes in an EM pinball machine?

By arkuz

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by arkuz
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

376E1EFB-900D-4561-9988-25C827ECE97B-10941-000008BB1D5EE01A (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arkuz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I work for a software company and when I describe EM machines to incredulous coworkers, I stumble when trying to come up with a number representing the amount of logic circuitry in a typical game. Any good estimates for this?

I see Clay mentions "just a couple bits" but surely it's more than that (though still not a lot). Say a machine has 30 relays, and each has an average of 4 switches, isn't that already 120 bits? Throw in 4 steppers with maybe 10 contact points each, and you're working with a total of 160 bits, divided by 8 = 20 bytes.

Perhaps I'm being too simplistic in this estimate. I see xsvtoys mentioned going through all the logic in #BonVoyage on his restoration project thread (great game, need to do more work on mine), but I didn't see a conclusion. Curious what others think!

#29 6 years ago

I'm definitely interested in the byte count needed to represent the logic, as a way of saying "all these wires, relays and switches you see (and smell) in front of you represent XXXX bytes of information".

And to be fair to &cfh, who I quoted originally, I think he might have meant a few bits of *memory*, specifically, which I guess is different than the overall logic. A toggle switch is kind like memory, isn't it, i.e., permanent until changed?

#32 6 years ago

Anyone prepared to hazard a guess like a Fermi Problem? Maybe starting with an order-of-magnitude estimate: 10 b, 100 b, 1 kb? With 300 switches in a Bon Voyage, naively dividing by 8 puts the number near midway between 10 and 100. More sophisticated reasoning about how much a switch contributes to overall logic might bring that number down.

So if went shooting off my mouth with my coworkers (or with my boss, usually the smartest guy in the room) and said "All this crazy stuff adds up to 32 bytes" (a nice round byte count number), would I be lying or well within margin of error?

#34 6 years ago

I'm not totally sure how to look at ROM files or if it's even legal, but I went to Planetary Pinball's early Bally tech page which has ROM downloads. Mata Hari has two files, 2 kb each. Are we really saying an EM therefore would typically be 4 kb? Seems high to me. Couldn't this code be full of all sorts of extraneous stuff, maybe even comments or redundant hash tables and whatnot? I'm not actually an engineer that gets anywhere near silicon (or machine code for that matter), so I might be way off base, but call me skeptical of this approach.

Really enjoying this thread, btw, really eye opening stuff!

#37 6 years ago

Just to summarize where this seems to have left off, I think the fair answer seems to be: "Up to, but probably no more than, a couple hundred bytes".

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arkuz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-bytes-in-an-em-pinball-machine?tu=arkuz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.