Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by PEN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How many balls make the perfect Multi-balls”

• 2 balls 8 votes
      7%
    • 3 balls 57 votes
      53%
    • 4 balls 26 votes
      24%
    • 5 or more balls - the more balls the merrier!! 17 votes
      16%

(108 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 7 years ago

I was playing DM man the other day and had a 5 ball multi-ball and was thinking it made the game more difficult with so many balls on the playfield. It just seemed like everytime I tried to make a shot it was blocked by another ball ricocheting around. I'm just curious what people think is the perfect number of balls for a multi-ball. I think this is a case where less is more. Personally I think three ball multi ball is perfect. Anything more makes the game a flail fest.

#4 7 years ago

6 on avengers layout is an absolute blast. Other than that, I lean towards the 4 vote for fun and the 3 vote for perfect flow harmony.

#5 7 years ago

I vote 3. Anything beyond that and it feels too random and chaotic...but that could just be my skill level.

#6 7 years ago

3 is managable, 4 is getting tough, 5 or more is ridiculous. This coming from a very average player.

#7 7 years ago

I've always liked JDs 6. Total mayhem.

#8 7 years ago

13 of course!

#9 7 years ago

Apollo 13...'nuff said.

#10 7 years ago

13! (no not really)

3 is the perfect number. More can be fun but you'll be down to three in short order more often than not.

#11 7 years ago

Depends on the game.

#12 7 years ago

Because my first game was Creature from the Black Lagoon, I've got to say that I love the 2 ball multiball. That's when you have your biggest scoring opportunities, but you've got to control both balls while making your shots.

Apollo 13's 13-ball is impressive, but I've always dreamed about an Independence Day "Area 51" 51-ball multiball. Anyone?

#13 7 years ago

Even the 4 ball multi-ball on F-14 feel like too much unless I get a landing shot right away. I feel like a breathe a sigh of relief with the first ball drains (which typically takes no more than 2 seconds) so I can focus on actually making the landing shot. Otherwise there is mayham on that small fast playfield.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

Apollo 13's 13-ball is impressive, but I've always dreamed about an Independence Day "Area 51" 51-ball multiball. Anyone?

Try playing the He-Man table on future pinball. There's like a 100 ball multi ball when you hit skeletor enough times. It just pours balls out and it's a complete flail-fest but still super fun because you just can't keep up.

#15 7 years ago

After playing games with 3 and 4 ball multiball....I don't even get excited with 2, ie a mode on The Sadow

#16 7 years ago

I love crazy multiball games! may favorites are f-14 with 4 and JD with 6.

#17 7 years ago

I like 4.

#18 7 years ago

Anything above 4 feels like a flail-fest to me. Not that it isn't fun (love love love 6-ball on my WWFRR and 13-ball on A13) but with four or less I can usually control and be somewhat strategic.

Do love a good 2-ball though. Creech is my favorite for that.

#19 7 years ago

Any more than 4 is generally pointless fun for me. Until I'm down to 3 I don't generally try to play conservative or aim my shots, once I'm at two I'll trap a ball and deliberately start targeting things.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from SpiffyRob:

Anything above 4 feels like a flail-fest to me.

It's flail fest for me with just one But I like the crazy action of 4

#22 7 years ago

Dare i say, my wife says 2 balls are plenty!

#23 7 years ago

I dig the 6 ball Final Frontier multi-ball on my STTNG. I helps that it is a wide body.

#24 7 years ago

I like it mixed up. Anywhere from 2 to 6 is fun, especially if it changes based on the mode you are in.
    It also helps to have somewhere to dump the balls such as the pop bumpers when you have several balls active.

#25 7 years ago

3 is the magic number for me. 2 is not enough and 4 is just too many to control with any amount of skill. Yup 3!

#26 7 years ago

Five plus a powerball is enough !

#27 7 years ago

And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.

#28 7 years ago

It doesn't matter what it starts at, but it isn't really manageable in any game until it gets down to at the most 3, and then that third ball is really gravy until you lose it, then it's time to really hold and milk the MB points.

I like Firepower MB’s. I’ve never heard people discuss it, but there is a way you can milk and extra ball (essentially) while in MB mode, and continue to play in MB mode. Let one ball drain so you have two balls, unlock a lock, lock one of the two balls in the lock. This locks that ball, and fires another into the shooter lane. You can then play with one ball until you lose it, ripping the juiced spinner shot, and then plunge the additional one. Sort of an exploit I guess, but not always easy to do, but what I shoot for in MB.

#29 7 years ago

I like Firepower MB’s. Let one ball drain so you have two balls, unlock a lock, lock one of the two balls in the lock. This locks that ball, and fires another into the shooter lane. You can then play with one ball until you lose it, ripping the juiced spinner shot, and then plunge the additional one. Sort of an exploit I guess, but not always easy to do, but what I shoot for in MB.

I'd love to find a firepower machine and try this out. Great tip!!

#30 7 years ago

The more balls the more chaotic. My favorite MB's are Avengers and Stern IJ where all the balls are pucked out at once.

#31 7 years ago

I voted 3 but love when you are down to 2. Then you must be ultra careful because losing one means ending the multi ball... no more room for mistakes.

What I would like to see more often is a PF multiplier (or jackpot multiplier) proportional to the numbers of balls still in play. That would give an incentive to keep as many balls as you can for the big jackpot. Otherwise you just feel overwhelmed until you are back to 2-3 balls.

#32 7 years ago

I like 2 best. Sometimes 3 is good with cradling, etc. Anything over 3 tends to get sloppy and more bashing around of balls.

#33 7 years ago

Depends on the size of main playfield. I like juggling 2 ball multiball on my BOP due to the little playfield.

Quoted from Blackbeard:

I like 2 best. Sometimes 3 is good with cradling, etc. Anything over 3 tends to get sloppy and more bashing around of balls.

#34 7 years ago

3 is the best. You can loose one ball and keep playing the multiball. You have more fun knowing that if one goes down you can still get the goal of the jackpot.
    More than that it's just a mess.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

The more balls the more chaotic. My favorite MB's are Avengers and Stern IJ where all the balls are pucked out at once.

On IJ, I've started letting all but one or two balls drain straight from the arc to start with a clean playfield. Then they get launched back in one at a time.

#36 7 years ago

3-4 seems about right.

#37 7 years ago

I like 3. 4 is good too.

#38 7 years ago

The answer for me is 5, but not more. I really like TSPP on this account. Stacking I&S multiball on top of Couch multiball makes for a very fun couple of minutes, as does the 5 ball stage of Alien Invasion.

#39 7 years ago

0 ZERO!! I hate multi-ball!! Sorry I couldn't vote because there was no 0!!

I feel that multi-ball really takes away from the true game play as it disrupts your connection with the ONE ball. You create a great flow and control and have full mastery of the ONE ball and then all Hell breaks loose with a bunch of balls going every which way totally out of control. Even the Master Players will trap the extra balls with a flipper and concentrate on just using ONE ball to make the shots. To me multi-ball is not a reward. It is a punishment! Multi-ball just creates a mess in my opinion!!

To be fair though I can tolerate 2 ball multi-ball.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

On IJ, I've started letting all but one or two balls drain straight from the arc to start with a clean playfield. Then they get launched back in one at a time.

Its funny you said that I have tried several MB approaches on IJ. I have tried to concentrate on shots while light is on for ball save and letting extra balls drain-meh ok Then tried holding multiple balls on flipper stalled while playing other balls-meh ok It seems that I get more jackpots when I try and play every ball without drains then when down to last two I will begin stall on flipper technique. Sometimes it will keep me in the MB mode for much longer?

#41 7 years ago

It depends on the game for me. But having any multiball where you just trap 1 or more balls on a flipper and play just one 'free' ball is BOOOOOORING! Every multiball should have a "no-hold flipper" mode attached.

#42 7 years ago

2 and sometimes 3

#43 7 years ago

Interesting to compare results from a similar past thread on multi-ball.
    Not quite the same poll results.

See: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/preferredfavorite-multi-ball-number-of-balls-poll

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.

Thanks, I haven't laughed like that in a while! I've gotta go watch that again.

#45 7 years ago

2 1/2 balls

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside