8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by VegasAlleycat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

What is the standard for how many balls per game you play to set high scores on your machine? I am fairly ne to this but everywhere I look for high scores I keep seeing 5 balls per game scores first then 3 ball games second. Is it standard to have a game set on 5 ball play not three? Whenever I play games in the wild they are always set on three ball. What do you have set on your machine? Also what about in tourneys do they play 3 or 5 ball?

#2 8 years ago

Three, unless it is an EM that was specifically designed to be 5 ball. Any more than three and I feel like I'm cheating.

#3 8 years ago

Agreed. 3 balls. More challenging that way. 5 balls and you can run the score up artificially imo.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

Three, unless it is an EM that was specifically designed to be 5 ball. Any more than three and I feel like I'm cheating.

Agree! It is fun to put DW on 4 balls though, considering at least the older episodes were done in 4 parts.

#5 8 years ago

Most people go by factory defaults settings, which were 5 balls for older EMs, and 3 balls for newer solid state and DMD machines.

I had all my DMD machines set for 5 ball for a while, until I got real good at them, then I erased the high scores and reset everything to 3 ball, and I've been having good fun with that. I think 3 ball play is more what the designers had in mind for the DMD machines, and with all my Williams/Bally machines, I've been able to get to the wizard modes in 3 balls, although it does take some good play to do it.

Playing 3 balls on the newer machines also allows me to compare my scores more easily with people here, as almost everyone plays 3 balls on the newer machines.

Now, if I had LOTR or TSPP in my collection, I must admit I'd be tempted to try them on 5 for a while, just to see if I could get to the wizard modes, as their rulesets are so deep, I don't know if I could ever do it on 3 ball.

#6 8 years ago

5 balls on TSPP or LOTR??? God I play for hours on both sometimes at 3. Probably to two longest playing games as is on 3 balls.

5 balls on dmds usually makes for very boring and drawn out games. A friend of mine does this, and keeps bs'ing me, claiming it's for the wife. He has great games, but every game just seems to go on and on...

I set my EM to 3 as well.

#7 8 years ago

i like to play 5 myself.

#8 8 years ago

Guess I'm the odd-ball out as I like 5 balls per/game best but, I play 3 ball alot on games such as funhouse and taxi. To be honest I'm not sure those two FH and Taxi can even be changed as I only play them in the wild or on williams classic hall of fame for wii.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I'm not sure those two FH and Taxi can even be changed

Yes they can be changed to 4 or 5 ball I believe.

For me, all my pre-1986 games are usually set to 5 balls, just because most of those games will drain faster, and that's how they were set in my local arcade back in the day. All my post 1986 games are set to 3 balls, due to slightly longer ball times.

#10 8 years ago

3 ball and factory settings.

#11 8 years ago

Yep, 5 ball on EMs and 3 ball on SS/DMD. This is the general rule but there are exceptions. In my collection I have my SS Joker Poker set for 5 ball because the bonus multiplier is designed for 5 ball and it makes for better game play and on my Shadow it's set for 5 ball because well, I suck at Shadow. Well OK, really all pinball

#12 8 years ago

Mine are all set to 5 balls and they are all DMDs. I do this because well quite honestly, they are mine and I bought them for fun. I am not trying to make money off them on a route. They are in my basement for friends and family to enjoy.

Of course I also kinda suck so that is the other reason. It is more fun to not play very well on 5 balls than it is on 3.

#13 8 years ago

never more than 3

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from scscottc:

It is more fun to not play very well on 5 balls than it is on 3

I see your point here. I actually tried 5 balls on TZ for a while, but it actually makes the rules harder on factory settings. For example; when you start a mode in either the piano or slot machine the lights will not relight until you make successive ramp shots afterwards. Also the spiral bonus starts at the beginning instead of three steps up like it does on 3 ball play. In the end I much preferred the 3 ball set up.

Like you said though, they're your games.

#15 8 years ago

IJ comes from the factory with three balls and the option for a superball for one credit. It is the only one I ever use more than three balls. But I also don't have my machines set for any extra balls instead of replays.

#16 8 years ago

I agree with scscottc . . . all my pins are set at 5 ball play because they are mine and that's my own personal 'line of demarcation'; I'm not in a contest with anyone else out in the pinball world. It also makes the pins more fun for some of our young grandchildren . . . gives 'em a better chance to hear the 'knock'! Another psychological angle for me is that I'm older and I grew up with nothing BUT 5 ball pins. It just doesn't feel right to me to play anything else.

#17 8 years ago

I like to use default settings right now. I used to use 5 on everything but it does not give me an accurate reflection of my scores. Not to mention if I have people over, 5 ball take too long and people do not like to wait.

#19 8 years ago

Every Pin in the GRG and that has Left was set for 5-ball Game Play !!! Never 3 .

#20 8 years ago

First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin.
    Then, shalt thou count to three, no more, no less.
    Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three.
    Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.
    Five is right out.
    Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy (Hand Grenade)Pinball Machine of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

#21 8 years ago

5 for EM'S and 3 for SS pins

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from tatman9999:

Exactly, on all my games.

I'm surprised by how many have noted they set to 5. With all the extra balls some spit out, there would be no time to play another game in the same night

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

5 balls on TSPP or LOTR??? God I play for hours on both sometimes at 3. Probably to two longest playing games as is on 3 balls.

Hear Hear. I play forever on these. almost too long.

#25 8 years ago

Had my entire collection on 5 ball forever. As I became a better player it became my preference to keep everything on 3 ball. My wife and son would rather I had stuck with 5 ball though.

The only exception is LOTR because I always wanted to reach Valinor someday...came within 1 ring shot once, panicked, drained. Better happen quick because it's on the way out soon...

#26 8 years ago

All my games are set to 3 balls, no buy-ins. Keeps me on my toes!

#27 8 years ago

3 all the way!

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from jitneystand1:

Better happen quick because it's on the way out soon..

It is???? (in my best Scooby Doo voice...)

#30 8 years ago

This question again - I thought we covered this already?

The first thread I saw:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-balls-do-you-play-with

...and the second one:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3-ballsgame-vs-5-ballsgame-for-1980s-era

I'm old enough to remember when the standard was 5 balls (up to the early 80's). When they started to switch to 3 balls PLUS charging $0.50 instead of $.0.25 - well I thought that was highway robbery. I'm old-school and play with 5. Keep in mind, I have two machines from '79, one from '80 and one from '86....I think these older machines were intended to play as 5 ball games.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

tatman9999 said:

Exactly, on all my games.

I'm surprised by how many have noted they set to 5. With all the extra balls some spit out, there would be no time to play another game in the same night

+ 1

#32 8 years ago

I set mine for under the lockbar number.

#33 8 years ago

Real men set it to 10 balls....

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from Waldo:

Real men set it to 10 balls....

I think you mean 2.

#36 8 years ago

I was at the PHOF last night and and I think almost every game is set to 5. This can be nice, especially if you are paying to play, but it seems like some games take forever to finish that fifth ball. With the cornucopia of games to choose from there, I almost wanted to walk away from a few games with a couple balls left on the machine. Also, if two are playing on the same game, I was there with my GF, and if the game isn't that exciting, waiting for that fifth and final ball to finish so you can play seems like an eternity sometimes. So like I said before.....3 for me.

#37 8 years ago

I always go with the factory default myself. For mine it is 3.

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from Loupie:

I set mine for under the lockbar number.

That number under the lockbar is for how many balls are in the game. NOT how many balls you should play with.

Not sure if you were kidding or not??

3 balls for me, but I do play 5 balls on my Skateball as it has ALOT shorter ball times.

#39 8 years ago

I set it to whatever will beat my sons high score and then switch it back. Please don't tell him.

#40 8 years ago

Used to do 5 and then changed over to 3 and never turned back, reset the high scores of course. 3 balls keeps the games fresher.

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

3 balls keeps the games fresher.

+1

#42 8 years ago

Keep it fluid
    like running a hot car on the street always change your combination
    when your crew comes over and finds out the hard way that it's now 3 then 5
    it will make them better players.......

#43 8 years ago

3 for me, just feels right. Can't remember ever playing a game anywhere that was set to 5 ball. Though I have been tempted to give 5 ball a try on my machines, have not done so yet.

#44 8 years ago

well 5 ball is cool when your still learning a game like when you just brought one home

#45 8 years ago

I have mine all set to 3 balls. But, I also have the ball-save set to on--I hate it when a ball drains before you really have a chance to play it because of a bad bounce (or bad shot)!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 248.85
    $ 12,500.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 239.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.99
    Playfield - Other
    Lee's Parts
    $ 5,800.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside