Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by CNKay
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0675 (resized).JPG
main_p4400 (resized).jpg
petepuma (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Putting in 5 pinballs and want to know how many can go on a 20 amp circuit. We're putting these in an oil change shop for customers, so I need to tell the electrician how many can go on a circuit.

Plus anyone know how many amps a Golden tee, a JVL touchscreen, plus a Williams Hot Shot basketball game?

Thanks, Tony

#2 1 year ago

5-6 on a 20A circuit is what I designed my basement on after a bunch of research..and is pretty safe.

I do have 6 on one circuit and haven't had a problem

I've also had 7 plus and arcade game on a 15A circuit in the old house and never had an issue.

#3 1 year ago

thanks, any idea on a golden tee in terms of amps

#4 1 year ago

It may depend on what year it was made. Some of the newer vids run something very similar to a PC power supply box, so the amperage may be listed right on it, or just inside the cab.

Side/random note, I've actually been to your town! I was in an intercollegiate competition a number of years ago that took place at the Pontiac Silverdome and me and my team stayed at one of my teammate's grandmother's house there in Bloomfield Hills. Beautiful area, beautiful homes, rough roads.

#6 1 year ago

If a pin is turned on but not playing a game I think they use around 2 amps, but if you are playing a game I think it's about 4-5 amps. Which means you can put more on if you only play the games one at a time, but if you plan to host parties where most or all of the games may get played simultaneously then would you figure 3 games on a 15 amp circuit or 4 games on a 20 amp circuit? Or would you be safe going 4 games on a 15 and 5 games on a 20?

#7 1 year ago

HOW MANY GAMES ON A SINGLE CIRCUIT BREAKER?

===========================================

By now you have probably heard that commercial arcades put 6 pinball machines on each 20A circuit.

How did they come up with that formula?

The National Electric Code wants circuit breakers to see 80% of their rated load. So for a 20A breaker, the ideal number is 16 amps.

Most pinball machines draw about 1.6 to 2 amps peak.

Some pinball machines with a ton of lamps may even draw 2.4 amps.

If you take any random 6 pinball machines at an arcade and measure their amperage draw at the breaker panel, you see that each breaker is seeing ~13 amps. Well under our 16 amp goal.

In your home, where you don't have to worry about employees moving games around and messing up your breaker loads, if you measured a 13 amp draw on a circuit, you could safely add one additional game and still be under your 16 amp target.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Plus anyone know how many amps a Golden tee, a JVL touchscreen, plus a Williams Hot Shot basketball game?

petepuma (resized).jpg

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

By now you have probably heard that commercial arcades put 6 pinball machines on each 20A circuit.
The National Electric Code wants circuit breakers to see 80% of their rated load. So for a 20A breaker, the ideal number is 16 amps.
If you take any random 6 pinball machines at an arcade and measure their amperage draw at the breaker panel, you see that each breaker is seeing ~13 amps. Well under our 16 amp goal.
In your home, where you don't have to worry about employees moving games around and messing up your breaker loads, if you measured a 13 amp draw on a circuit, you could safely add one additional game and still be under your 16 amp target.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide

Wow i had 3 and i was nervous when they were all being played at the same time. Thats good to know

#10 1 year ago

I had a 200amp installed. If it is 6 for 20amp, what would be 200amp? about 60 pins? I am horrible at math

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

So I had a 200amp installed. That mean I can expand my collection to about 33 pins?

Just don't do any welding or baking while you play.....

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

So it's 2 amps even while a game is being played? I thought I had read somewhere it was 4-5, but that must have been inaccurate information. That's good to know because I am doing remodeling right now myself and have added plenty of circuits to my game room, but in my living room I was concerned about having to put 4 pins and an overhead light on a 15 amp circuit.

#13 1 year ago

The games are often still fused @ 8A but when I plug in the Kill-A-Watt tester, it shows most games don't even draw 2 amps peak during play.

Games with lot's of incandescent lamps draw the most, so LEDs can save you some amperage too.

I usually replace blown 8A main fuses with 3 or 4 amp ones, and they work fine.

#14 1 year ago

A Kill-A-Watt is $16 and will give you your peak draw, and tell you how much something costs a month to run.

main_p4400 (resized).jpg

#15 1 year ago

Ok, saw this thread and plugged my Kill-a-watt in on my WoZ and played a game. Idle and in .99 to 1.03. Running mostly between 1 and 2.5 but did see a peak of 4.58 amps.

IMG_0675 (resized).JPG

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

To elaborate, after about 2-3 hours which is considered a continuous load breakers will trip at 80% of its trip rating this is required to attain the UL listing of the breaker. I have put amp meters on a bunch of games and when they are played the draw is roughly 3-4 amps. So 6 games on a 20 amp is fine, i run 4 games on a 15.

#17 1 year ago

I currently have 10 on one 20A breaker. Ran a tournament and had no issues. They all have LEDs though.

#18 1 year ago

I previously did some investigation and posted my findings here. Magnet usage is a major draw and causes spiking.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-pins-on-a-20-amp-circuit#post-3377090

#19 1 year ago

I had a 200amp installed. If it is 6 for 20amp, what would be 200amp? about 60 pins? I am horrible at math

200A refers to per 120V phase and there are 2 per 240V panel. (We won't get into 208Y/120V, 3-phase panels). But a 200A panel can provide 200A x 240V = 48,000W total. Let's assume each game pulls 2.5A which is 2.5A x 120V = 300W.

48,000W / 300W = 160 games. If we take into account the 80% rating then 160 x 80% = 128 games

Yeah. You are horrible at math.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from schudel5:

200A refers to per 120V phase and there are 2 per 240V panel. (We won't get into 208Y/120V, 3-phase panels). But a 200A panel can provide 200A x 240V = 48,000W total. Let's assume each game pulls 2.5A which is 2.5A x 120V = 300W.
48,000W / 300W = 160 games. If we take into account the 80% rating then 160 x 80% = 128 games
Yeah. You are horrible at math.

lol, well now I need to buy 108 more machines since I can run more... GREAT!

#21 1 year ago

Well I like the way you guys think! I have definitely been bitten by the bug. I bought one and now looking for opportunities for more....

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from Spg101:

Well I like the way you guys think! I have definitely been bitten by the bug. I bought one and now looking for opportunities for more....

When it starts... You look at things like a couch and how much pin space it is using.

#23 1 year ago

I keep thinking, do we really need a formal dining room????? Wouldn't a game room be better?!?!?!?

#24 1 year ago

When I was building my collection, I kept adding games to a single 15 amp circuit. It wasn't until I reached 7 games before they tripped the breaker. Mr Propane came in and set me up with two 20 amp circuits and my problem was solved. Fortunately, there was room in the circuit box to add the twin breaker. Unfortunately, I downsized my house and I am back to the original problem of having a single 15 amp circuit and 15 games that I can't turn on all at the same time.
Howie

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Unfortunately, I downsized my house and I am back to the original problem of having a single 15 amp circuit and 15 games that I can't turn on all at the same time.
Howie

Time to sell. I will stop by after work to mark the ones I want (you know, to help you with your problem).

#26 1 year ago

When it starts... You look at things like a couch and how much pin space it is using.

We are in the process of buying new furniture and thought about moving our giant sectional out of the way and buying more space efficient furniture to see if we can squeeze in another pin or two. At the end of the day, we decided to be practical humans. True story.

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

At the end of the day, we decided to be practical humans.

Congrats on squeezing in two more games! That right there, folks, is how families compromise!

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Unfortunately, I downsized my house and I am back to the original problem of having a single 15 amp circuit and 15 games that I can't turn on all at the same time.

Have your electrician give you a quote for running new wire, adding more outlets and a new breaker. You might be surprised at how affordable it is.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from SirScott:

Time to sell. I will stop by after work to mark the ones I want (you know, to help you with your problem).

Scott, I don't think that you want any of my games. None of them are e-ms.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Scott, I don't think that you want any of my games. None of them are e-ms.

It's a sacrifice I'll just have to make.

(And what happened to the Sky Jump?)

#31 1 year ago

I accidentally sold it

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

. Unfortunately, I downsized my house and I am back to the original problem of having a single 15 amp circuit and 15 games that I can't turn on all at the same time.

Go to the local hardware store and get the number of a handyman off the bulletin board.

A real union electrician makes $35 a hour, so a handyman is fair to give 1/2 that.

If your breakerbox is full, he will install a "piggyback" double breaker.

It's a 2 hour job to run a new circuit and install a new box in your wall; so double that for worse case.

No need to suffer with not enough amps, for less than the price of a replacement ramp, you will have a new circuit.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Go to the local hardware store and get the number of a handyman off the bulletin board.
A real union electrician makes $35 a hour, so a handyman is fair to give 1/2 that.
If your breakerbox is full, he will install a "piggyback" double breaker.
It's a 2 hour job to run a new circuit and install a new box in your wall; so double that for worse case.
No need to suffer with not enough amps, for less than the price of a replacement ramp, you will have a new circuit.

In massachusetts a union electrician makes 50+ an hour and thats not even overtime. Dam i wish i became an electrician...

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

In massachusetts a union electrician makes 50+ an hour and thats not even overtime. Dam i wish i became an electrician...

Wow, $50 is real money.

International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers get $34.50 at my place.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 269.99
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 18.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside