(Topic ID: 215806)

How long until Warehouse Raids are dead?

By Linkage

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by snyper2099
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7EB97BA2-6730-434D-9B34-EA285E41B3D6 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0001 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0014 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Linkage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

So I live in a semi obscure place, an island the size of PA, with 95% less people. Due to how spread out we were, we had a lot of small time ops and lots of machines. In fact, Replay had an article (I don't have it handy to remember year) that stated we had the most Jukeboxes per capita in all of Canada.

I have spent years cultivating leads, tracking down people and letting people know I collect Pinball and arcade machines. It's paid off. I find a couple things a year.

However, it's usually:

- Arcade Machines
    - Such bad shape most of you would not look twice.
    - Very lowly desirable pins.
    - Rusty beyond all belief.

I love tracking down this stuff. Digging though a crumbling building is more fun to me than restoring or playing my machines. Sad, I know. I just love the history of it however.

There was never been a big collecting scene here however and much of we we have was raided by other collectors on the mainland, or shipped off by the truckload from ops who know they could get decent money elsewhere.

96% of everything I come across, are leftovers from someone else. I know guys who hit every major op and shipped trailers off the island. Hell, I even know a pilot who carried his tools with him on commercial airline runs. Call the nearest op at each spot, offer to spend a few hours doing repairs and take home a machine in return. Lots of cool stories of what people did to hunt down games before they were worth the prices of today and before I got into the hobby.

I raided one old building a few years ago. I can trace the history of raids on that spot to:

An Woodrail only guy in 1995.
    One major collector in 2001.
    One collector who shipped everything valuable off island in 2005.
    One collector who took any knowable titles left in 2010.
    Me who spent two hours looking at the amount of mold before I decided if I should take anything in 2016....

Plus who knows what else in between those gaps.

Now I know from past threads on this topic, people know of huge stashes that are going nowhere until the building owner dies. Plus then its 50-50 if someone trucks it all to the dump instead. I saw that happen last year. 40+ System 11 era machines gone in the blink of an eye.

So what are your thoughts? In 10-20 years will it be mostly just machines moving back and forth between collectors?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Linkage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-long-until-warehouse-raids-are-dead?tu=Linkage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.