(Topic ID: 215806)

How long until Warehouse Raids are dead?

By Linkage

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by snyper2099
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7EB97BA2-6730-434D-9B34-EA285E41B3D6 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0001 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0014 (resized).JPG
    #1 5 years ago

So I live in a semi obscure place, an island the size of PA, with 95% less people. Due to how spread out we were, we had a lot of small time ops and lots of machines. In fact, Replay had an article (I don't have it handy to remember year) that stated we had the most Jukeboxes per capita in all of Canada.

I have spent years cultivating leads, tracking down people and letting people know I collect Pinball and arcade machines. It's paid off. I find a couple things a year.

However, it's usually:

- Arcade Machines
    - Such bad shape most of you would not look twice.
    - Very lowly desirable pins.
    - Rusty beyond all belief.

I love tracking down this stuff. Digging though a crumbling building is more fun to me than restoring or playing my machines. Sad, I know. I just love the history of it however.

There was never been a big collecting scene here however and much of we we have was raided by other collectors on the mainland, or shipped off by the truckload from ops who know they could get decent money elsewhere.

96% of everything I come across, are leftovers from someone else. I know guys who hit every major op and shipped trailers off the island. Hell, I even know a pilot who carried his tools with him on commercial airline runs. Call the nearest op at each spot, offer to spend a few hours doing repairs and take home a machine in return. Lots of cool stories of what people did to hunt down games before they were worth the prices of today and before I got into the hobby.

I raided one old building a few years ago. I can trace the history of raids on that spot to:

An Woodrail only guy in 1995.
    One major collector in 2001.
    One collector who shipped everything valuable off island in 2005.
    One collector who took any knowable titles left in 2010.
    Me who spent two hours looking at the amount of mold before I decided if I should take anything in 2016....

Plus who knows what else in between those gaps.

Now I know from past threads on this topic, people know of huge stashes that are going nowhere until the building owner dies. Plus then its 50-50 if someone trucks it all to the dump instead. I saw that happen last year. 40+ System 11 era machines gone in the blink of an eye.

So what are your thoughts? In 10-20 years will it be mostly just machines moving back and forth between collectors?

#2 5 years ago

They are dead... next it will be raids of collectors that have passed on. Sucks but that is kind of where we are at.

#3 5 years ago

I was told from a guy that does it for a living about a year ago when I asked the same thing, and his answer was "your not looking hard enough". Perhaps that's true, but I don't have 24 hours a day to track down the same junk that your describing. My latest "raid" just happened this past January and it was two 10x24 storage lockers fully of pinballs, jukeboxes, antique radio stuff, one video game and tons of parts, playfields and backglass........
    It night not look like much from these two pictures but trust me, a lot of stuff and I do mean ALOT of stuff.

John

IMG_0014 (resized).JPGIMG_0014 (resized).JPG

IMG_0001 (resized).JPGIMG_0001 (resized).JPG

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I was told from a guy that does it for a living about a year ago when I asked the same thing, and his answer was "your not looking hard enough". Perhaps that's true, but I don't have 24 hours a day to track down the same junk that your describing. My latest "raid" just happened this past January and it was two 10x24 storage lockers fully of pinballs, jukeboxes, antique radio stuff, one video game and tons of parts, playfields and backglass........
    It night not look like much from these two pictures but trust me, a lot of stuff and I do mean ALOT of stuff.
    John

To your point, the big guys keep coming up with stuff; say the supply is endless but to your point, they are out there 24-7 and they will buy it all!

#5 5 years ago

It’s like buying land or property. Those that have the money to buy, go out and buy in large amounts. It keeps the smaller buyers or collectors from ever seeing or knowing about these ”warehouse finds”. There are still a lot of old operators that have offices, warehouses and storage units full of arcades and pins, the problem is they usually sell the whole collection to one person. I’ve bought a few things from an old operator near me, but he wants top dollar for his stuff. Also, those that buy to flip are on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace and other sites every few minutes looking for their next find. That’s what makes it hard for the average collector to ever stumble upon a cheap game

#6 5 years ago

The longer in the hobby, the more contacts are made, the larger the networking grows, and the more leads a person will receive.

As a result, opportunities will never become dead.

One of the most important aspects is established reputation with other collectors. People have to be willing to return favors not just take the goodies and run. The #1 mistake of new owners, and related constant level of selfishness that permeates this hobby today. It separates those that can find whatever they want including parts, and those that just wish but are not willing to do that extra bit of work. Older collectors can spot this foolishness from miles away, and will politely decline.

Example:
    I was offered a Joust head to head pinball locally in exceptional cosmetic condition for restoration two days ago locally. I passed it to another, and ensure it not just be flipped in the secondary market for profit. It will go to a good home, and it will be cherished.

#7 5 years ago

I was wondering the same thing. Can there possibly be any more warehouses left that have any pins that are in good shape that have been hidden away for years?

#8 5 years ago

Not just warehouses but storage lockers, basements, sheds even garage sales ect... They are out there you just have to turn over plenty rocks to find em.

#9 5 years ago

They are still out there..

1 week later
    #10 5 years ago

Ive never even heard or seen any "warehouses" around in Sweden to raid, so i guess its pretty much an Amercian thing? or the ones we had here was raided a long time ago.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luzur:

or the ones we had here was raided a long time ago.

Or no one has been looking for them.

LTG : )

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Or no one has been looking for them.

Hey Luzer, I think Lloyd is onto something! With some detective skills you could corner the Swedish market.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crispin:

With some detective skills you could corner the Swedish market.

Start with old phone books. Look for operators. Contact them or their heirs.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Start with old phone books. Look for operators. Contact them or their heirs.

Its further south...

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crispin:

Hey Luzer, I think Lloyd is onto something! With some detective skills you could corner the Swedish market.

Knowing my fellow Swedes, shit will be overpriced way beyond my wallet. >:C

For example, some 3 years ago i saved a Williams Jubilee out of a basement by me for 1000SEK (100USD) in dead condition, i had it for a year, got it up and running, fixed a new cover on the backbox, repainted parts of the playfield, then i traded it away in a deal with my Gamatron, now, 2 years later, i was today offered the same game, but its dead again, backcover i made is gone, and the backglass is cracked, for 5500SEK (650USD).

Over the course of 2 years that EM game got a 550USD raise in value, even when in worse condition then when i had it LOL

#16 5 years ago

I’ve heard rumors about a large collection of arcades in a bsmt downtown under the old arcade location. Unfortunately no one has been able to shake any games free from storage. A couple different people have confirmed they’re there, but the owner doesn’t want to get rid of them. I’d imagine they’ll become available when the owner passes.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I’ve heard rumors about a large collection of arcades in a bsmt downtown under the old arcade location. Unfortunately no one has been able to shake any games free from storage. A couple different people have confirmed they’re there, but the owner doesn’t want to get rid of them. I’d imagine they’ll become available when the owner passes.

I know of a few warehouses size collections. One in PA, one in Ohio and one in Illinois. Problem is, they are for sale but the prices are unrealistic for non working stuff covered in rust and mold. Other problem is that they are all 95% arcades and other equipment, and not pins.

Two of the three locations are not people who care about preserving anything at all... Two old school auction houses that hoarded coin op equipment that was never picked up or never sold and abondoned by the owners.

#18 5 years ago

I was pestering a local op for years to sell me stuff out of his packed storage building. His father was an op going back to the 1930s and the building was completely jammed with pins and games from the 1930s to the 1990s....long story short the building caught fire 2 years ago and everything in it was lost. No insurance either. Sucks!

#19 5 years ago

I kept saying that about finding 60's-80's toy collections I kinda thought they were all sussed out by now but they keep showing up!

#20 5 years ago

Less and less I’m afraid. But your first good hit is like “ chasing the dragon “! Here’s my magical moment from 3 years ago when I bought out long term op on the island!

7EB97BA2-6730-434D-9B34-EA285E41B3D6 (resized).jpeg7EB97BA2-6730-434D-9B34-EA285E41B3D6 (resized).jpeg

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Comox-Rocks:

Less and less I’m afraid. But your first good hit is like “ chasing the dragon “! Here’s my magical moment from 3 years ago when I bought out long term op on the island!

I had all those Atari System 1 boxes. Left in warehouse
    As it got too hot to get it all out.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from doughslingers:

I had all those Atari System 1 boxes. Left in warehouse
    As it got too hot to get it all out.

I'm still trying to track down a Peter Pack Rat kit.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-long-until-warehouse-raids-are-dead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.