(Topic ID: 323060)

How long to make a pinball game?

By RGR

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Not including designing etc, how long does it take to put together a pinball from the cutting of the playfield to the time it goes in the box?

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Not including designing etc, how long does it take to put together a pinball from the cutting of the playfield to the time it goes in the box?

Williams seemed to be able to assemble a machine in a day.
    From concept to execution? Pretty sure the fastest was 3 months.

For an average person? Years. Look at Jersey Jack, takes them ages to get games done. Even Stern can’t produce machines at the level Williams did at its peak.

#3 1 year ago

I was thinking 3 days.... mehhh no idea though

#4 1 year ago

The biggest bottleneck is probably waiting for the clear coat to cure. That's a few days of waiting

How long it would take to do all the work really depends on how many people you have. Stern is cranking out like 400 games a week with a few hundred employees. They have cabinet area that only does that, the woodshop that cuts the playfields, the playfield manufacturing area, wiring area, subassembly area, etc

#5 1 year ago

Yeah I guess I am thinking of assembly time as well, when all the components are ready.... so many variables though

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Yeah I guess I am thinking of assembly time as well, when all the components are ready.... so many variables though

When you say cutting the playfield you make it sound like fabricating the parts included. And that includes conceptual work.

If you mean you have a huge warehouse of parts all organized and ready to go, how long to put them together? Williams put hundreds of games together in a day. Stern is doing alright, but their backlog indicates they are not at the peak 90s levels.

Williams made 13 THOUSAND Fish tales in a 4 month timespan.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-long-to-make-a-pinball-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.