(Topic ID: 313785)

How long have you been in the hobby... without telling us directly?

By drsfmd

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 154 posts
  • 137 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by poppapin
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

162541920_10218949816084004_9218050927450966401_n (resized).jpg
    118768687_10217601075166324_7260195818086198529_o (resized).jpg
    F5117D8E-DFB0-4F3E-80FC-A67320FB2DF4 (resized).jpeg
    20220418_113613 (resized).jpg
    There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 2 years ago

I'll start.

I got into the hobby when TAF was a $2500 game, and FT was a $1500 game.

Edit: Wow-- this ended up being popular!

I should edit mine slightly-- the above reflects when I started collecting. I've been "around" the hobby long enough to remember my absolute fascination at seeing a SS game for the first time. It was so much flashier than the EM's I was accustomed to playing.

#2 2 years ago

Found a players condition hurricane for $700 in a storage facility.. might have paid too much.. traded it 2 years later plus $800 for a really nice FT.

#3 2 years ago

Neil Armstrong landed on the Moon, and I wanted to go to Woodstock.

#4 2 years ago

I was reading pinball repair information when a group of people would sign their posts with CARGPB

#5 2 years ago

Lifelong location player, pin owner since buying a NIB Stern made MMR.

#6 2 years ago

Gerald Ford was president

#7 2 years ago

First game was a Earthshaker for $700, and bought TZ a year later for $1,400. My third game was a NIB CV on closeout.

#8 2 years ago

Judge Dredd is a $1400 game folks….

#9 2 years ago

I was taking EMs to the tip by the truckload because nobody wanted them after SS machines hit the shops!

Back then it was called a "business" not a hobby. Even today it is a business for many and a "hobby" for some. Let's not forget that.

#10 2 years ago

Williams was still in business. Watched This Old Pinball on VHS. Bought games from a container. And Pinlicious had no spoon.

#11 2 years ago

I knew this Attorney that worked for Harry Williams, Kobayashi…

#12 2 years ago

JJP stood behind their pinball machines.

#13 2 years ago

As a fan/kid - a few years before TAF came out.

As a hobbiest - when Stern ST was considered a dog of a game.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

JJP stood behind their pinball machines.

JJP still stands behind their pinball machines, only now they are hiding back there.

Quoted from CubeSnake:

"I am NOT a crook!"

That must be a quote from one of Robert Mueller's later deeproot seminars.

When I bought my first pin, a one-year-old Creature from the Black Lagoon, Gottlieb and Capcom were still in the pinball business. They both dropped out shortly thereafter. Word on the street was that if I had purchased a Gottlieb or Capcom instead of a WMS machine they wouldn't have folded so soon.

Added over 2 years ago:
    Quoted from pinballizfun:

Stern games were released with full code.

Okay, now people are just making things up.

#15 2 years ago

I was able to buy a TAF and a TOM in a combo deal for less than $3000 delivered. They both needed some TLC to say the least.The "bones" of both machines (cabinet, playfield, mechanisms) were decent.

#16 2 years ago

When operators were dumping EMs in favor of Solid State

#17 2 years ago

When Disco Fever's backglass looked cool and hip instead of ridiculously dated. Well maybe it looked ridiculous back then too.

#18 2 years ago

You could take your time over whether or not to make an offer on the $200 Judge Dredd in the local Trading Post because you already knew it would still be listed for sale in next weeks edition.

#19 2 years ago

NIB Sterns were $3200. Raiding an op warehouse for $500 WPC projects. I could get a nice Shadow for $800.

#20 2 years ago

Iron Man 3 had recently been released. And...

Quoted from ryan1234:

#21 2 years ago

Jpop is coming out with a new game, and selling it to a few lucky people. No, you can't see it! There's an NDA!

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from ryan1234:

LOVE IT

#23 2 years ago

I passed on a TZ for $1600 because it was too much

#24 2 years ago

I traded my old bicycle for my first game - then I bought my second game for $5.00.

#25 2 years ago

Hmmm...
    My earliest memories was buying a $700 BOP, $1100 WCS, $200 Flight 2000, $400 Joker Poker, $2800 TSPP, $2300 LOTR, $4040 TRON, $1100 MSF, $2,800 IJ, $2300 TOM, $400 Mata Hari, $2,500 Sopranos, $400 Space Invaders, etc etc etc and the pins SITTING on Craigslist for about 2-3 weeks for a $20 offer less than asking AND taking it!

#26 2 years ago

Games were 5c to play and then I was hooked!!

#27 2 years ago

The real juggernauts of pinball Gottlieb, Williams and Bally were making games and the idea of the any stopping would have been silly talk. You would would of been flamed for the idea and no funny clear coat issues. Ah the good old days.

#28 2 years ago

My first Twilight Zone was $900.

#29 2 years ago

I remember seeing classic Stern games for $500 constantly. No one wanted them because they were concern that aftermarket parts would never be available.

#30 2 years ago

When Williams pinball division was making his best games.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from jokerpoker:

Games were 5c to play and then I was hooked!!

20c for 3 balls were everywhere back then. Don't remember 5c pinball.

#32 2 years ago

I was one of maybe two or three home buyers at the amusement auction.

#33 2 years ago

Stern had just released 24 when I arrived. The industry needed help... badly.

#34 2 years ago

Next Generation had just come out.

#35 2 years ago

CV was on close-out for $1799. I bought a sample off Brady’s showroom floor.

#36 2 years ago

I remember playing the newly released Dialed In and not understanding what was so special about it.

#37 2 years ago

Bought Sega Frankenstein for 500$ mint condition.

#38 2 years ago

When I started in this hobby, there was only one manufacturer still in business... And a routed TAF (my first game) was around $2500...

#39 2 years ago

Met Steve Kordek at his last Pinball Expo, which was my first.

#40 2 years ago

Bought a ‘‘em from a malt shop in Mount Pleasant Mi. for $100. President Reagan had not been shot yet.

#41 2 years ago

Bought my first game from Jersey Jack from an ad in a magazine. Shipping via common freight was $65.

#42 2 years ago

Bought a NIB AC/DC premium after it came out for 6k and I thought that was expensive.

#43 2 years ago

I traded arcade games straight up for working pins.

#44 2 years ago

Slim Shady was in the charts .
    And I used to have a six pack

#45 2 years ago

I was young and strong enough to move them myself without having to plan it out for 2 hours or feel it for the next 48.

#46 2 years ago

I bought my TZ and TAF for $800 and $900 respectively.

Were I an intelligent person capable of critical thinking, I would also own a Whitewater from the same price range.

#47 2 years ago

At starting point RGP (rec.games.pinball) was the internets discussion forum. I wanted deeper background info on the hobby. Took better part full day to skim all posts to get to the opening post that started RGP. On dialup internet14.4k modem. Rural internet then was like a slow tooth pull.

Yep dial up modem handshake did sound like donkey braying !

Enjoy the day Shane

#49 2 years ago

I purchased my first pinball machine (the Getaway) that I found from a newspaper classified ad. Oh yea, and it was a $1000

#50 2 years ago

Rapidfire was the big hit at the AMOA show in Chicago.....3 months later World Wide Dist had a warehouse full of machines they couldn't sell because they were not earning.
    Also the days when if you installed the head on the cabinet and didn't pull out the power cord you were taking the head back off and putting the cord in the slot in the cabinet.
    The good old days!

There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-long-have-you-been-in-the-hobby-without-telling-us-directly?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.