(Topic ID: 313785)

How long have you been in the hobby... without telling us directly?

By drsfmd

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 154 posts
  • 137 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by poppapin
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

162541920_10218949816084004_9218050927450966401_n (resized).jpg
    118768687_10217601075166324_7260195818086198529_o (resized).jpg
    F5117D8E-DFB0-4F3E-80FC-A67320FB2DF4 (resized).jpeg
    20220418_113613 (resized).jpg
    There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 2 years ago

We had a Cherry Bell by Sonic new. Later on bought a STTNG NIB.

#102 2 years ago

The worlds computers where going to crash. I brought an EM at a junk shop for $300

#103 2 years ago

Bought some Alan Meyer reproduction slings and Tom Wible loved TZ.

#104 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

You do touch up and clear coating right? I think I was one of your first customers back when you were looking for some examples to showcase.

Possible I did restores till about 2011/12 then I stepped away from doing them for other people. I now pretty much just do custom painting on toys and trim for our pins and restore work on our stuff. I don't do restores for others anymore.

Phoebe

#105 2 years ago
    Quoted from Skeets:

Tom Wible loved TZ.

There's a name I haven't heard of in YEARS!

#106 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheOnlyest:

I am kindof excited for the next recession when all these asshats are forced to sell their $15k Indiana Jones for $3-4k (what its actually worth)

If you're selling, do you price your games at what they're worth to you, or what they're worth in the current market?

Yeah, you ain't selling any of your classic B/W for $3-4k.

#107 2 years ago

My first pin was Space Shuttle, purchased from Super Auctions for $120 working.

#108 2 years ago

Back when Allentown pinball show was in the firehouse and was offered a CC NIB from State Sales for 3k. You know, I had to turn that one down.

#109 2 years ago

Jimmy Carter was in office, I was 12 years old.

#110 2 years ago

Got a Pinbot for 600 bucks and it was flawless. Other pinheads said I was stupid and way overpaid.

#111 2 years ago

I played a lot of Fireball, Wizard, and Big Indian at a Seven Eleven a few blocks from my house.
    Quite awhile later I paid $600 for Bride of Pinbot, and then $700 each for Theatre of Magic and Twilight Zone.

#112 2 years ago
    Quoted from finman2000:

First game was a Earthshaker for $700, and bought TZ a year later for $1,400. My third game was a NIB CV on closeout.

Very similar start... my first was a $750 Earthshaker off Ebay.. later on I splurged and bought a sample TZ in mint condition for 2300, and a closeout NGG for 2100. First NIB was RFM on semi-closeout.

#113 2 years ago

I was called an asshat in this thread.

#114 2 years ago

Reading all the complaints about how shipping games via NAVL was too expensive.
    Going to superauctions and buying $25 and $50 arcades because no one else wanted to bother hauling them home or didn't have any room left.

#115 2 years ago

Judge Dredd is a $1400 game folks is one of my favorite all time pinside lines

#116 2 years ago

You had to manually push up balls to the shooter lane.

#117 2 years ago

It was my favorite thing about Obama's America

#118 2 years ago

Playing: There were still nickel and dime machines in the Disneyland Main Street Penny Arcade and Santa Cruz Boardwalk arcade.
    Collecting: Johnny Mnemonic in very fine for $600. Traded it for my Cyclone with no regrets soon after.

#119 2 years ago

I bought my first machine from a Trading Times ad.

#120 2 years ago

Christina Ricci was relevant.

#121 2 years ago

The Walking Dead was a new game at the time.

#122 2 years ago

Swap Sheet was Craigs List, but it was those small Pennysaver wanted ads that paid off..

#123 2 years ago

Refurbed MMs were sub 3k all day long and I thought they were crazy priced.

#124 2 years ago

Williams released their last EM game.

#125 2 years ago

Lots of great posts here.

Responding to a listing in a printed newspaper.

#126 2 years ago

Playing- The Vietnam war was raging
    Collecting- DMD games weren't released yet

#127 2 years ago

There was only one name for clear coating playfields. Bill Davis

Not sure how he got any work done. First time I called him it was a 3 hour conversation.

#128 2 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

If you're selling, do you price your games at what they're worth to you, or what they're worth in the current market?
    Yeah, you ain't selling any of your classic B/W for $3-4k.

I don't sell games, toughguy. I've made a couple trades over the decades, but that's it. My collection is permanent.

#129 2 years ago

I bought two pins T2 and BOP from a dealer for $3600 delivered.

Later on I got TZ, CFTBL, IJ, TotAN and STTNG for $2800-3800 each.

And this was from a dealer, he was making a decent profit. I never looked at games to buy without the middleman until like 9 years ago.

#130 2 years ago

Stern games were released with full code. There could be an update, but it was for fixing issues, not finishing the game.

#131 2 years ago

John Bonham was still playing drums on earth...

#132 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheOnlyest:

I don't sell games, toughguy. I've made a couple trades over the decades, but that's it. My collection is permanent.

Tough guy? Did I hurt your feelings?

You sound very insecure and I must've clearly struck a nerve.

#133 2 years ago

Playing - 4th grade and (2) 5 ball games on an EM was a quarter or a medium cone at Dairy Queen. Tough choice.
    Collecting - Bush Sr just elected as # 41

#134 2 years ago

My first game was PinBot and I paid equivalent of $100 for it

#135 2 years ago

When I started in pinball hobby Apple stock was 44 cents a share (accounting for splits).

$1k of Apple stock would be worth more than $360k today.

#136 2 years ago

Pins like Demo Man, T2, and Stargate were $1800 in good condition. And might not sell fast at that price.

#137 2 years ago

My partner toads (passed last year), this photo showing his first N.I.B. Hankin, and the clothing depicts the era. I joined the hobby nearly 25 years later.

F5117D8E-DFB0-4F3E-80FC-A67320FB2DF4 (resized).jpegF5117D8E-DFB0-4F3E-80FC-A67320FB2DF4 (resized).jpeg
    #138 2 years ago

After 5 years in the hobby I bought my first NIB. A CV on close out for $1799

#139 2 years ago

A $200 em project would sit a couple of weeks before it sold.

#140 2 years ago

When Star Wars Episode I was the newest game at my local arcade, and I had no idea of the significance of it.

"Oh, a new game, from those Williams guys! Cool, can't wait to see what the next one will be like!"

#141 2 years ago

I had the Fonz pinball by Coleco bought from the sears catalogue whatever year that was... 1977 maybe?

Actually played decent considering it was mostly a plastic toy.

#142 2 years ago

The Tinee Giant convenience store had just brought in the brand new Bally Playboy. I had played assorted EMs for a few years, but this was the first title I spent any significant number of quarters and time on. I didn’t buy one for home until some decades later, but when I did, it was a Bally early solid state.

#143 2 years ago

Playing: Bars were cranking Matchbox 20, Third Eye Blind and Blues Traveler.

….crickets….

Collecting: I hadn’t heard anything about deeproot until this week’s episode of the Pinball Show.

#144 2 years ago

When I started there were very few collectors. Solid state pins were rarely
    in collections and the first one I played on location was F14 Tomcat.
    The few SS pins that were in the hands of collectors were nearly impossible
    to fix because no one had the experience or back ground to do so.
    Had just gotten off of the Darpa net where rec.games.pinball got its start.
    Steve

#145 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Christina Ricci was relevant.

Oh come on. Apparently you have not seen her in some of her latest endeavors. Great actress. She plays crazy quite well.

#146 2 years ago

I sold my World Poker Tour for less than I paid for it.

#147 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gotman:

I sold my World Poker Tour for less than I paid for it.

I'll raise you.

I bought TZ for $3.7k.

AND I sold it for a loss.

#148 2 years ago

As a boy I thought that Capt Fantastic was so cool. My first purchase was a Space Station for $1400

#149 2 years ago

Attended Bally/Williams factory tour at Chicago Pinball Expo.

#150 2 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

I'll raise you.
    I bought TZ for $3.7k.
    AND I sold it for a loss.

I paid $3,300 at a retail store. Didn’t lose on the sale so you win

There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-long-have-you-been-in-the-hobby-without-telling-us-directly/page/3?hl=vipertim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.