(Topic ID: 44133)

how long has your collection taken to get to where it is?

By pinmanguy

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by mr-zed
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HabosArcade-Marquee.png

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

I was wondering how long you have been collecting for and how many years it's taken to get to your current collection? At what rate do you add to your collection? So far I've bought 3 this year and their my only 3 at the moment. Was curious as to how quick some of the large collections here have amassed.

#2 11 years ago

About 34 years.

I add when I can.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

I've been at this 10 years and there will always be something I want. I was able to get to where I am now at the 8 year mark. I'm not the most aggressive buyer, so it could have been done much quicker.

#4 11 years ago

10-11 years. Sometimes I only had one machine and sometimes I had none. I now have 7 and am pleased with them all.

#5 11 years ago

I bought my first in March 2012. I've bought 7 since October 2012, two of which I've sold in that time as well. I think my agressive buying will slow down significantly now that the game room is pretty full. From here on out, it's getting the right games in the mix slowly, one at a time. I think the three on my wishlist could easily, in addition to what I have now, keep me quite content for some time. But, as we all know, there's always something else on the radar.

#6 11 years ago

around 9 years

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

I've bought 7 since October 2012,

That's a good run. You must have lived online, combing the wires.

#8 11 years ago

I'm right up there with Lloyd. Been buying, selling, fixing, trading for 30 years.

#9 11 years ago

I have been collecting on and off since 95. I have been down to 1 and as high as, I think 15, maybe 16. I am currently down to 9 I think. I only have room for 7, so anything past that I loan out to friends. Now I wish I held onto them all so I could have paid for my kids college education with all this free money thats flying all over the place now for pinballs.

#10 11 years ago

I got my first pin 2 years ago.
    Number 2 came last year around this time. My wife allows me to buy a new machine when the guests in my bar has played enough to pay for the previous machine.
    Fortunately, parts are not counted against the sales,
    STTNG is not so easy to break even with

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

so anything past that I loan out to friends.

Do fellow Pinsiders count? I've got room for a Fishtales. All kidding aside, that's pretty cool that you loan games to your friends.

#12 11 years ago

If it wasnt for me, markmon wouldn't even have any pinballs. He pretty much bought up the entire PNW market place just from borrowing my ToM. I love sharing pinball with everyone else. I usually hear things like "Man, these games are so much more fun then the stuff I played at the bar."

#13 11 years ago

Going on 3+ years of collecting with some much help from some great people in the business.
    Have bought almost 40 machines in which I fixed, repaired, and did full restorations on a select number. Still have 16 machines and always looking for a few select titles.

#15 11 years ago

25 years

#16 11 years ago

7 years. I add when I can afford it.

#17 11 years ago

2.5 years and I have been through 25 games overall and kept 10 that I really like.

#18 11 years ago

Three years this Sunday 3/24 at about 2:30pm I bought the first...not that I'm keeping track

...pinball is great.

#19 11 years ago

Been building it up since 1973. Ugh! 40 years have gone by.

#20 11 years ago

6 years 9 pins room for 1 more oh add a pool table 2 slots 1 60-1muticade i love the hobby

#21 11 years ago

Around 11 months. I sold off EBD, JP, IM and TOM. So gone through 16 pins.

#22 11 years ago

Just under 10 years - have gone through a number of machines just to gain experience fixing and playing them. I always keep an eye out for machines I'm looking for but am never really in a rush to get a new machine (space is a premium, after all). Get a collection you enjoy playing, that's what matters.

#23 11 years ago

25 years for me. Current count is 10 pins and 3 arcade games, and a Skee Ball machine. Most of my collection was acquired in the late 80's early 90's. It's a hot and cold thing for me. Almost seasonal. Very much have the bug right now!

#24 11 years ago

About 6 years I got the first one I was going to keep on oct 15 2008 tftc on the day I got married. Had to have my new brother in law stay at my house for the shipper to deliver it. But I buy when I have the money for them and save for the ones I realy want.

#25 11 years ago

Just under two years.

#26 11 years ago

7 years

#27 11 years ago

about 8-1/2 years for me.
    There was about a 3 year gap of inactivity after the first three years.
    Back into it again these last two years or so as the force is strong w/ me now.

#28 11 years ago

started in 1999, t2 was first pin. didnt buy anymore for a while (should have considering prices now)

#29 11 years ago

Since about 1987. Went at it hard until about ~2000 then kids took all my spare time and I slowed down to a crawl. Just got back into it last fall. First machine was a Stern Magic last machine in my collection EATPM I bought about 15 years ago. May have flipped one or two since then to fund the hobby.

#30 11 years ago

16 glorious years!

#31 11 years ago

Two stages.

1997-2005: TZ, TS, WH2O, CV, LOTR, MM, TSPP (sold RB, WCS94, FT, CP, FHx2, Sure Shot, Royal Flush)
    2012-Now: CFTBL, AFM, MB, IJ, CC, IM, F14, OXO, Sure Shot, High Hand (sold MM, TSPP).

Dan

#32 11 years ago

Between Dec. 2011 and Jan. 2013, I got my 3 pins.

#33 11 years ago

Playing since 1962. Collecting since 2009! Wish I had started sooner!

#34 11 years ago

4 and a half years for me...

#35 11 years ago

15 years. While the pins are fun, I have also made a bunch of friends in the hobby.~ SoOoKy

#36 11 years ago

5 years I have 14 pins and have had as many as 22 in the house. I have went through around 40 pins.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from SpOoKyRiDeS:

While the pins are fun, I have also made a bunch of friends in the hobby.~ SoOoKy

X 2 its a great hobby with great people

#38 11 years ago

12 years since I got my 1st pin...Still have it and it ain't going nowhere. I have 47 now. I don't sell games often very rarely...after I finally get them and put the blood sweat and tears into them, I tend to hold onto them. I loan them out, (or as I call it put them on free route ) at a nieces or friends house for lack of room...and I take them to as many shows as I can so others can play. I would say my collection is pretty much where I want it...not that it is complete cause we all know that ain't gonna happen there is always that 1 out there that we HAVE to have!! I have slowed way down on scooping up pins for the last few years as there are only a few left that I REALLY NEED!!! (see told ya!!) I am concentrating on "trying" to keep what I have running, and that is pretty much a full time task!!
    Now for me the hobby is more about the friends I have made, and the great times we have had and are still having while enjoying the hobby!!

Phoebe

#39 11 years ago

8 years. Some years I change out a lot. Some not so much. This past 12 months have seen the most change to my lineup as I only have 3 of the pins which came from Alaska.

#40 11 years ago

7 years here. There have been a few years where I have only got one new game as I had to save up for the moment. My biggest year was about 4 years ago when I knocked out a wall to expand my gameroom, got a nice bonus at work and added SS, FH and AFM within 5 months. I have also been lucky enough to participate in a few bulk buys where I was able to sell off the games I didn't want to fund the game I did want.

Brian

#41 11 years ago

A little over a year ago I built a MAME arcade cabinet... then in the summer of 2012 I got my first SS pin. Got my first EM pin a month or so ago and am working on it. I have the pieces to build a second MAME cab, and am waiting for delivery of a working EM pin.

#42 11 years ago

2.5 years. Had 7 at one point now have zero waiting for Woz. Went thru 31 or so. Probably will settle on 3 pins this year.

#43 11 years ago

Fifteen years, but I took ten years off, so five

#44 11 years ago

Bought my first pin in Oct 1993 (WMS Laser Cue)
    New pin additions started out slowly, (about 5 or 10 a year)
    but then the collection started to grow expotentially
    By Jan 2001 was up to 75 pins bought
    Dec 2004 had about 120 pins
    Jan 2006 total was at about 150 pins
    April 2008 was around 260 pins
    Last pin i bought was in Sept 2010, (WMS Magic City)
    when the total was up to about 370 pins
    (including about 40 doubles and a few triples)
    Having sold or traded or donated about 20 pins during that period.

#45 11 years ago

About 3 years now and game room is full at 7 only sold 2 so far and have done one even trade.

#46 11 years ago

About 13 years...

www.HabosArcade.com

HabosArcade-Marquee.pngHabosArcade-Marquee.png

Thanks,
    Mike

#47 11 years ago

I have been collecting since 1994. We currently have 38 arcade machines. Over the years we have only sold 4 pinball machines. I have a current WANTED list of 20 machines. It will be a couple years till I get those machines. It`s the thrill of the hunt that makes this a great hobby.

#48 11 years ago

Going on 3 years. Bought my first pin (RFM) on Ebay in August 2010. I bought a commercial building for my business that same month and finally had some extra space available to build a collection. Went a little crazy the past two years. Have slowed down the pace and now spending more time playing and on improving the quality.

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from roc-noc:

Going on 3 years. Bought my first pin (RFM) on Ebay in August 2010. I bought a commercial building for my business that same month and finally had some extra space available to build a collection. Went a little crazy the past two years. Have slowed down the pace and now spending more time playing and on improving the quality.

Wow! That averages 2/month for nearly three years. Heck of a collection you got. I imagine once they get that size there's always something to be done on at least one of them. I feel that way sometimes now and I just have 6!

#50 11 years ago

2 years for me

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-long-has-your-collection-taken-to-get-to-where-it-is and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.