(Topic ID: 138459)

How Long Does It Take To Swap A Heighway Pinball Game?

By HeighwayPinball

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Vdrums
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tumblr_m6nsbzoMJI1rv4c4zo1_400.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgaltr56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 8 years ago

I had a RFM and I can tell you the playfield was easy to pull almost completely out of the cabinet without disconnecting anything. You can slide it out and set the front edge on the ground, or just tip it up like a standard Williams/Bally/Stern. There were maybe 4 or 5 Molex connectors toward the back of the playfield to disconnect if you were going to swap it out with SWEP1. The playfield rails and cab mechs were all very solid and a dream to work on (not like some of the crappy designs you see on today's NIB pins). Its Achilles heel is the obsolete PC, proprietary video card (Prism). To make the swap you'd have to pull the PC chassis out of the head, pull out the Prism card, and swap something on that card. I never did it and I'm just going by what I remember reading about the process. I can't imagine doing it often and it's delicate work, not for anyone without prior PC building experience. Obviously Nucore would make the swap a lot easier. You could also build a dedicated PC for each playfield and just swap the whole chassis. I think it was a good idea but they chose the wrong hardware. Anytime you ask people to pull cards off a PC mobo and swap memory chips you are asking for trouble. Obviously Heighway's method is a hell of a lot better, but they have the advantage of better available technology too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgaltr56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-long-does-it-take-to-swap-a-heighway-pinball-game?tu=jgaltr56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.