(Topic ID: 38808)

How long do your light bulbs last?? New #47's that is.

By jkmboler

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Atomicboy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

It doesn't say how many there are per pack. I'm guessing 10? Seems like a shady dealer since they don't provide all the info up front.

That price is for singles there.

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from Pac-Fan:

That price is for singles there.

image.jpgimage.jpg

3 weeks later
#54 11 years ago

It looks like my #47 lamp failures have slowed to a stop.

After 10 or 11 lamps failing prematurely (less than 30-40 hours of total use) I haven't lost a lamp in several weeks (knock on a woodside).

I did mention this to PBR (more to determine if there was a bigger problem with this particular lamp) and this seems an isolated instance.

PBR tossed in an extra box of lamps on my last parts order (without my asking)!!!

If anyone wants my opinion, PBR is an excellent company and will continue to get my business!

#55 11 years ago

I got tired of the Eiko bulbs burning out. Just ridiculous. The flashers are really bad. I went LED and never looked back.

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from jkmboler:

PBR tossed in an extra box of lamps on my last parts order (without my asking)!!!
If anyone wants my opinion, PBR is an excellent company and will continue to get my business!

That definitely comes under the category of excellent customer service. Mostly unheard of in this day and age.

Quoted from PinballShawn:

I got tired of the Eiko bulbs burning out. Just ridiculous. The flashers are really bad. I went LED and never looked back.

LED's may not be the cure-all you think they are. I'm testing a section of LED strip lighting on a power supply running 24/7 after getting some strips that went dim after about a month. There is junk to be had in the LED world as well.

#57 11 years ago

Not sure about the strip lighting you're testing, but in the past 3 years I've gone 100% LED I've only had 2 go bad. One started to flicker, one color changer just failed and was replaced by cointaker no charge. I only buy good LED's so that's probably why I've had success. Those early style single led bulbs were too dim, they are cheap but not bright enough. I guess you get what you pay for, but in the incandescent bulb you're so limited.
I realize a lot of people don't like them and that's cool. The benefits of them (to me) is worth the extra costs.

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from jkmboler:

Yes absolutely!

When I rebuilt my Gottlieb, one of the items ordered was the exterior shooter barrel spring. I received the long inside shooter spring. I called Steve for a correction, and told him I was going to drop the incorrect spring in an envelope and mail it back. "No" he said, because it will cost me more in postage than the spring is worth. "Keep it and I will send the right one out today".
And he did.

I ordered a few things a while back for my '76 Williams, one item I needed was the yellow translucent coin switch cover for my coin door. Steve said he was sorry, but the only available was solid color not clear. So I ordered the solid cover.
I was delighted to open the box and see a translucent yellow coin switch cover. I feel he listened to me, understood and went the extra mile and I got what I needed.

Outstanding. I wish more businesses operated this way.

#59 11 years ago

I had this discussion in length with Terry a while back. They concluded the #44's consistantly outlasted the #47's and suggested I migrate away from the 47 for a while and see what happens. Well, what happened was I no longer replace light bulbs 3 days after shopping a game. I have seen night and day difference and the only place I use 47's now is behind the backglass of older SS games. Otherwise playfields get 44's in my games.

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from jkmboler:

I concur... I have had nothing but positive dealings with PBR. They are top notch.

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

I wish more businesses operated this way.

Yep.

#62 11 years ago

I'm mainly wanting #47s for a routed F-14. The inserts on those are a nightmare and depending on where it's going it could be running 24/7. Based on the latest report though it seems Pinball Resource is the way to go for these.

#63 11 years ago

I tried both CEC lamps from TheRealBobRoberts.net (great video game resource) as well as Eiko lamps from various sources. Plus my machine had about 50% original GE lamps and about 50% of a foreign lamp (nickel base, stamped "ITALY"), and then the 100 packs of 44 and 47 Ablaze made from PBL:

Overall my impressions are:
New Ablaze incandescents - Nice. No problems yet.
New CEC - Suck .. strange texture to lamp causing a weird star difussion pattern. Only 1 burn out
New Eiko - Acceptable, again not the best made glass at all, some weird light patterns. Only 1 burn out.
Used Italy ones - absolute crap.. Filaments busted simply removing lamps, didn't matter if cold or hot.
Used GEs - Amazing.. take anything, complete dropping 4' onto carpet or 2' onto playfield, and light right back up.

#64 11 years ago

I've had almost no bulb failures after switching from #47 to #44 on my pins. I did this to make them brighter, but it does seem that the #44s are more robust too.

#65 11 years ago

I don't see Ablaze incandescents on Pinball Life.

#66 11 years ago
#67 11 years ago

I asked Steve Young about the longevity of the Eiko bulbs today. His theory is they are trying to keep the price low, so purposely make them poorly-planned obsolescense!

#68 11 years ago

Has anyone else had good results with Ablaze #47s vs. Eiko's version?

1 month later
#69 11 years ago

Bump. So I'm guessing just a bad batch of bulbs? Are Ablaze's bulbs proving to be better?

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from jkmboler:

It looks like my #47 lamp failures have slowed to a stop.
After 10 or 11 lamps failing prematurely (less than 30-40 hours of total use) I haven't lost a lamp in several weeks (knock on a woodside).
I did mention this to PBR (more to determine if there was a bigger problem with this particular lamp) and this seems an isolated instance.

Still no further failures, so it looks like it was a bad batch/box of lamps.

#71 11 years ago

I keep the old GE bulbs from old games also. People ask me why when new ones are so cheap, I always tell them they are cheap for a reason, they are cheap Chinese crap. The old GE bulbs as long as they aren't silvered or turning black, seem to last forever. I tell my friends if they are shopping a game, don't throw the old GE bulbs out, give them to me.

#72 11 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

Well, I was a bit too embarrassed to say that I also keep old lamps from my project games.
*First I fill a sink with soapy water and dump them all in.
*I let them soak for an hour or so, then rinse and roll around on an old towel to dry.
*I rig a spare socket to a 6volt wall wart for my first keep or toss filter. About 30 lamps can be checked in a minute that way.
*Then I spread all the working lamps on top of a white sheet of paper. Lamps with sooty/charred glass get tossed, the rest kept in a zip lock bag as spares.
So far my games have been about 60% saved spare bulbs. Maybe this is silly for such a cheap item but I can't get myself to toss out perfectly good bulbs, and it takes about 10 minutes to go through them all (Other than soaking).
I have enough fine working spare bulbs to last for a very long time. I would never consider using these to re-lamp a new project game for obvious reasons. The used bulbs aren't as bright as a brand new ones. But this defect works perfectly when replacing burned out lamps among other used ones, as the replacement blends right in.
When, in the future it comes to pass that I begin to get a lot of lamp failures in a game across a short amount of time then they will all get tossed out and the game get re-lamped with brand new replacements.

I put on a clean old t-shirt and use my belly button to dust off dirty bulbs.
Lol
Fyi only 555's and 47/44's though, flashers don't fit.

#73 11 years ago

For me they last until I get the machine home and shop it, and then its LEDs and no changes ever again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-long-do-your-light-bulbs-last-new-47s-that-is/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.