3%
  • I look until I find it 53 votes
    58%
  • Depends if it's lost on the top or bottom or in the cabinet 0 votes
  • Depends if it's my game or not 1 vote
    1%
  • Depends on the part and if I have extra 16 votes
    18%

(Multiple choice - 91 votes by 88 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Searching..gif
#1 4 years ago

Drop and important screw, washer or nut in a game and how long do you look for it? I'm one to keep searching until I find it because I don't like leaving loose parts floating around.

Several weeks ago I lost a spring in my DILE. It took probably 90 minutes to find, but I am glad I found it because it was sitting across 2 lugs of a coil. If I had played the game without finding the spring, it would have probably caused some damage.

Lost a nut in DILE today. Still have not found it.. What sucks is that they are aluminum so they are not magnetic. It's on the top of the playfield, in the back area. I'll leave it for now and search again tomorrow.

Sometimes I think parts fall into mini black holes on these games.. Drop it and POOOF, gone!

I wish I could turn the playfield over and shake it

edit - found the nut! Just took a bit of lifting and banging the playfield down to make it fall into the cabinet. Another happy ending

Rob

#2 4 years ago

Based on the poll you made *cough*, I voted for "as long as it takes"

I too found a screw on the floor at about minute 45 the other day.

Epic victory.

Pinball isn't for wimps.

Stay hard!
-mof

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Drop and important screw, washer or nut in a game and how long do you look for it?

Until it's found. I don't want it shorting something out. Heck, one of the first things I do with a new project game is removing all the loose parts that have fallen or been left in the cabinet, and thoroughly inspecting the playfield top and bottom for any parts lodged in assemblies or wiring.

Sometimes it helps to change your viewing angle. If you're working on one side of the machine, go to the other side. If you're sitting, then stand up. If you're standing, then get on a stool or chair. A telescoping magnet can help in some cases. If you're still having a hard time finding something, try lifting and shaking the playfield; the part may come loose, and if not, you might be able to hear it move. Sometimes, just probing around with your hands or tools may help even if you can't see the part.

One tip that I've found particularly helpful is that when something drops, don't try to catch it. Instead, follow it with your eyes so you can tell where it ends up. A funny bounce might send it off in another direction and if you're not watching it, you might end up spending an hour looking for the part in completely the wrong place. If you're trying to catch it and miss, then you will also likely miss where the part actually lands.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Sometimes it helps to change your viewing angle

Exactly, if you are cross-eyed or have blurred vision, put the booze away.
-mof

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Based on the poll you made *cough*, I voted for "as long as it takes"

I actually did make a poll, not sure what happened to it.... - fixed

Rob

#6 4 years ago

About 2 minutes.

Less if I have the part I dropped easily accessible in a parts bin.

Life is too short.

#7 4 years ago

It’s crazy how far a part can fly when it hits something, or the places it can come to rest. Respect for the people that put out towels after lifting the pf to work on something so parts don’t go flying. I don’t have that discipline yet, and just Hope nuts and screws land close to the bass speaker magnet and get stuck

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Hope nuts and screws land close to the bass speaker magnet and get stuck

Best outcome. That would never happen to me though,ever!

Magnet on a stick with a torch (flashlight) is what I do - good times!!

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

Best outcome. That would never happen to me though,ever!
Magnet on a stick with a torch (flashlight) is what I do - good times!!

It's a good thing you qualified that torch = flashlight. If anyone in North America says torch, it's probably a real torch.

Rob

#10 4 years ago

I try to do a risk assessment. If I think there‘s a realistic chance it could cause a short or other damage I‘ll keep looking. If not, after 10-15 minutes search, I‘ll take another part.

#11 4 years ago

I’m a firm believer that things just don’t go missing. It’s got to be somewhere, I’ll look till I find it.

#12 4 years ago

As long as it takes. Sometimes this can kill a nice session where I'm really chugging along. I also find that watching the piece fall and land is better than trying to catch it.

#13 4 years ago

As long as it takes! After a few of these soul-killing sessions, I now lay down a microfiber rag under my work area before starting. It's like Velcro to machined parts. #NeverAgain.

It takes balls of steel to play this game.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from MD_Pinball_Dude:

As long as it takes!

Searching..gifSearching..gif
#15 4 years ago

I like my magnet tool for finding metal things

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-long-do-you-look?hl=md_pinball_dude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.