4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    superbandssuck.jpg
    1416611114842.jpg
    download.jpg
    super-bands_hundreds_of_plays.jpg
    image-103.jpg
    image-396.jpg

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

I put some superbands on my RFM about a week and a half ago. Between that a flipper rebuild, the pin was playing great. However, this morning I noticed a large chunk of the band missing at the edge of the flipper. So I took the band off, try to install it so the missing chuck was on the bottom of the flipper, and the band snapped.

How long do your superbands last? Are superbands worth it? Granted we are only taking about $1.50 price difference but I don't want to have to change my bands every few weeks.

#2 4 years ago

I'm over a year for the first set I installed. Sounds like that one had a flaw. They typically wear like iron.

#3 4 years ago

I've never had to change a set yet.

#4 4 years ago

A friend put some on my METLE and they lasted about 15 minutes. Then I put real rubbers back on. They didn't break, but I didn't like them.

#5 4 years ago

They're called super - shouldn't they last forever?

#6 4 years ago

Not sure but I nearly broke my finger trying to install em' on the flipper bats... mind you that's after I've even seen the install videos.. Some elasticity might vary between them.. mine were crazy tight / had barely any give to them.

#7 4 years ago

I have them on Addams Family and Fish Tales. No noticeable wear on either - after 2 or 3 thousand plays on each.

I see them on route all the time - dirty ones that have been there a *long* time. I've never seen wear.

I think you got a bad set. The only other thing I could surmise is that maybe your balls are really old/chipped/scratched and wearing hard on the rubber?

#8 4 years ago

Cant stand them.

#9 4 years ago

I have them chunk on my route games at the tip of the flippers all the time. Had a green one snap with about 1k plays on the game. Annoying but I am still buying them for some reason. At $2 a piece they should not be doing this crap

image-396.jpg

#10 4 years ago

too much grip?

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

too much grip?

My money is on: "harder to bounce pass".

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

too much grip?

Quoted from ryanwanger:

My money is on: "harder to bounce pass".

Both for me.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

I have them chunk on my route games at the tip of the flippers all the time. Had a green one snap with about 1k plays on the game. Annoying but I am still buying them for some reason. At $2 a piece they should not be doing this crap

image-396.jpg 215 KB

That is exactly what mine looks like; even the same color. I wonder if green is more prone to fail.

#14 4 years ago

Here is some chunkness. When I see it I rotate it but...

image-103.jpg

1 week later
    #15 4 years ago

I inspected mine the last time I played and 1 side has started to decay like this. I rotated the band to extend the life.

#16 4 years ago

I don't get it?? Are you sure these are Super Bands? (not the Saturn rings?) I have had these on my Metallica since I took it out of the box, and it has been to several shows and had tons of plays, and I just clean them and play some more have not seen any wear at all. That is over a year now with the same bands...I have them on every game I own, and have not had any issues with them? I'm not saying it isn't possible, but just haven't seen it on any of my games with Super Bands.

Phoebe

#17 4 years ago

I've had a bunch from the very first batch.

None have broken or chipped.

Now that I've said it, I'm sure they will all break this weekend.

#18 4 years ago

I bought a whole bunch from borygard at a show. I'm pretty sure they were superbands. This is in no way accusing borygard of selling a bad product. I may have bought saturn bands thinking they were superbands.

Borygards the guy who spends the show doing boards repairs and has all the parts and mods on his tables right?

#19 4 years ago

Local pin place has them on almost every game, pretty dirty but none have the chunks out like that. Maybe cleaning them actually affects their longevity makeup vs regular rubber?

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

I don't get it?? Are you sure these are Super Bands? (not the Saturn rings?) I have had these on my Metallica since I took it out of the box, and it has been to several shows and had tons of plays, and I just clean them and play some more have not seen any wear at all. That is over a year now with the same bands...I have them on every game I own, and have not had any issues with them? I'm not saying it isn't possible, but just haven't seen it on any of my games with Super Bands.
    Phoebe

All my superbands come from PinballLife so I think they are the official ones. My games with them on location are getting a lot of weekly plays except for the green one that snapped early.

#21 4 years ago

Aren't they supposed to last so long your pin will turn to a pile of rust & dust and the bands will be sitting there still in pristine condition? (for the apes that have conquered the planet to find)

#22 4 years ago

I have them on all my machines and all of them still look like new....no blemishes. And I've had some since they first hit the market.

#23 4 years ago

Had SB and some of the Saturn Rings on my games for a good while now and they look and play fantastic. No issues.

#24 4 years ago

Some they like them, some they don't. The ones I've tried played like shit.

#25 4 years ago

Had them on my Star Trek since I bought it last Oct.
    No evidence of any sort of wear or pieces missing. Over 1700 games.

#26 4 years ago

I have them on several of my pins. Stern Star trek and Star Trek: The Mirror universe for sure..

A chunk has appeared on my Blue Stern Star Trek on one of the flippers. It's gotten a lot of play via TPF'2014... but I'd expect it to have lasted a lot longer.

Mine are Superbands from Pinball Life.

I'm not sure if it's a installation problem... or just a processing problem for the superbands.
    I don't think ST:MU has seen any issues tho. But it's a lot slower of a game.

Do I like Superbands... meh. But the reality is I want color choices that normally isn't available.

#27 4 years ago

ive had them about a year and they still look new. the last set of red rubber i bought didnt last half that time before they split at the tip

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

No evidence of any sort of wear or pieces missing. Over 1700 games.

i dont believe it

#29 4 years ago

So knowing this, why is anyone still buying these? I hated the way they played, and the only upside, given the lesser play was the supposed longevity, which apparently isn't what was promised.

#30 4 years ago

I've had them on 6 different games and they haven't shown any signs of wear. They were all bought from PBL or directly from the source at Expo last year.

When I had the regular red rubber rings, they would quickly get dirty and worn, and I'd have to rotate them periodically when they'd start to wear at the tip, and then eventually they'd need to be replaced when I could no longer hide the wear.

#31 4 years ago

I've had them on some of my location games for over a year and they are fine. I've occasionally had small chunks come off them and when I noticed it I rotated them and they are still going.

As for how they play, some games I think are fine with them, some I don't like. I put them on TAF, hated it and took them off. I like them on Iron Man.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

When I had the regular red rubber rings, they would quickly get dirty and worn, and I'd have to rotate them periodically when they'd start to wear at the tip, and then eventually they'd need to be replaced when I could no longer hide the wear.

I bet you bought those from PBL as well.

#33 4 years ago

I took mine off after one game so about 3 minutes.

#34 4 years ago

I don't really understand the "they play like crap" comments. They play very close to black rubber IMO. There is a pretty marked difference to red rubber (or other colored rubber)...but pretty much the same difference that exists between red and black rubber.

I can drop catch, orbit pass, bounce pass, etc. with them. So I'm not sacrificing those things. But they don't make those objectives easier IMO. They do make your shots more accurate and give an overall feeling of having more control.

I'm a purist too, but these things look so beautiful on the games, they do last longer, they do help keep the game cleaner and I do "play better" with them on. So I'm pretty much a convert.

I do put normal rubber back on my games occasionally, for a different feel, but not long term.

#35 4 years ago

Have them on 16 of my games. They do play differently than regular rubber, but I'm used to them now. Will never go back.

#36 4 years ago

The reason I've put them on my machines isn't for longevity, but rather I like the look of them.
    I've got hundreds of games on these rubbers. They still look like candy.
    super-bands_hundreds_of_plays.jpg

#37 4 years ago

I have them on all my games too. Not one problem at all. All look brand new even being on a few of my machines for over a year. I actually like them more than regular rubber.

#38 4 years ago

download.jpg

#39 4 years ago

I put them on my one pin and love them. The rubber ones got dirty fast and did not hold up long. Superbands look better and I would assume they would last longer. Mine still look brand new but I have not had them on too long. If there is something that lasts longer and works well, I would like to know.

#40 4 years ago

I've had Super-Bands on my games since they came out and no chunkness on any of them so far after many 1000's plays.

#41 4 years ago

I'm thinking some of you got a bad batch, or they're not really SuperBands. I have them on my home games and no tips worn whatsoever. But that is relatively low plays. The location where we play league has them on many of the pins that get 100's of plays per week. None that I have seen show any wear at all.

#42 4 years ago

Superbands.... They love you long time.

#43 4 years ago

I had some clear ones that got chewed up almost immediately. Other colors like black and red have lasted 100s of games and still look new. Small sample size for sure, more data needed

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

So knowing this, why is anyone still buying these? I hated the way they played, and the only upside, given the lesser play was the supposed longevity, which apparently isn't what was promised.

I love how they look and play and a year later they still look brand new. That's why I'm still buying them....well, not really, because they haven't broken lol....but I will in the future if I need them for other games.

#45 4 years ago

I've never had them chip or break apart. I've used blue, red, and orange.

SST probably has a few hundred plays on it at this point on the superbands and they look new.

The old red rubbers from pinballlife are super crappy though, those fall apart in 100 games sometimes.

#46 4 years ago

I just put green ones on SS and orange on IJ. I like the look of them and so far like the feel during play. I'm going to give them some time on those two games before changing over any other games, though.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from chalkup8:

i dont believe it

The only thing else I have changed since buying it NIB. Is I also put silver jet balls in from new. I have changed them out once because of scratches. About 900 games with the first set of silverjets, then swapped out the balls again.

I bet most of the issues with the superbands are from either using the balls that come with Sterns. (Garbage) Or pitted scratched balls. I think certain waxes and cleaners could break down the bands as well.
    A friend has superbands in his congo. And silverjets. His still look new as well after a year and hundreds of plays.

I also clean the dirt off the superbands about once a month with novus 1. Just did a quick playfield and target cleaning yesterday to remove all the dirt that sticks.

They are the same set of superbands in it, never rotated them yet. And still look new.
    Here is a pic.

1416611114842.jpg

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

A friend put some on my METLE and

Quoted from o-din:

The ones I've tried played like shit.

Ummmm yeah, about that...
    Those were Saturn rings Spicoli, not Superbands.
    Superbands are only on a few Sterns in my house; standard rubbers apply everywhere else.

(Your milage may vary. )

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Those were Saturn rings Spicoli, not Superbands.

On METLE yes! But all the Superbands I've tried were no different. Remember our trip up the hill? They have had their chances with me. Some they like them, some they don't.

Now, where was I ?..

superbandssuck.jpg

#50 4 years ago

I put new bands on 2 pins for a show, blue and green. The blue ones are fine, but the green ones are like this after about 300 plays.
    Don't think I'll be buying any more.image.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 12.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Forever
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 79.99
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 225.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 109.99
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 34.50
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside