(Topic ID: 10798)

How long do purchasers of NIB wait before selling?

By thedarkknight77

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by RobT
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I am noticing a large number of LOTR hitting the market all of the sudden. Based on many of them being HUO, I am assuming they are people who feel they got there use out of the machine and now want to buy another NIB. I was wondering about how long on average does it take for people who bought NIB games to put them on the market. Would 9 years be accurate?

#2 7 years ago

heck, depends on whether they like it or not, or need room, or need money for their next pin.

#3 7 years ago

It depends on what you have vs. what you discover is coming out next.

#4 7 years ago

Lessee, I have 3 NIB games. Got 2 of them 14 years ago. Still have them. Got another 2 years ago. Still have it. So for me, the answer is > 14 years.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I am noticing a large number of LOTR hitting the market all of the sudden. Based on many of them being HUO, I am assuming they are people who feel they got there use out of the machine and now want to buy another NIB. I was wondering about how long on average does it take for people who bought NIB games to put them on the market. Would 9 years be accurate?

This is a tricky question to answer and won't apply to all.
For a while I was buying every new Stern years ago when they where $3800 NIB. I had a good run. But as titles got stale, more expensive, whatever or I had to have "the next thing" I sold them at the peak of value before I "knew" they would net me a big loss. Of course if I liked the title and the value would drop I didn't care because I kept the game. Case in point WPT. Love the pin and it's never leaving. I bought TRS as HUO and love it. Price was right.

Value wise:
Stern's I sold before the bubble burst within a 6-9 month period.
IJ4, WOF, CSI, 24 & Avatar for each of these I only lost a couple $100 each so I did well.

Collectible collection wise:
I generally keep all my games so I tend to keep games longer than the average guy. This is where I'm running into a problem as these games get more expensive I do NOT want to sell the ones I have to get a new one. So in the future the theme must really play a major part on the thought process. Resident Evil may be that one

#6 7 years ago

Yea it all depends, one friend I have usually has them years and another usually sells off between 1-6 months because they want the next new Stern pin. Everyone is different

#7 7 years ago

Haven't sold my two yet. And at this point, don't plan on it.

#8 7 years ago

I want a Transformers Pro if any one is tired of it. Never got nib. Yet.

#9 7 years ago

I probably wouldn't ever sell my NIB's unless I bought a pro machine on a whim. It would have to take a really special pin to get rid of my LOTR LE... Good thing too, they haven't made a machine yet that would force me to choose. Ask me again in five years...

#10 7 years ago

Bought a RFM and FGY NIB and still have'em both.

#11 7 years ago

My only NIB is IM, bought in 1.5 year ago, I still have space for 2-3 more pins, I really don't mind selling it at the right price, I want to get TF Pro instead, but it is hard to sell a pin around here.
When I first bought the game, I was playing it for hours, then I got little bored from it, but lately I'm starting to play a lot of IM and still having fun, so it all depends on you, space, money and what going to come next.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

It would also depend on how you liked the game. I've bought 4 NIB pins (SM, LOTR LE, IM, Tron LE) and only SM remains. If a game doesn't click for you or another opportunity to pick up a title you like more it makes no sense holding on to it. Take that money n try again.

#13 7 years ago

I'll let you know the answer if/when I sell my WOZ.

#14 7 years ago

I see a trend developing here in terms of the answer.

"It depends".

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rogersville, MO
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Akron, OH
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 269.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Machine - For Sale
Billings, MT
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Milford, CT
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
£ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside