(Topic ID: 95061)

How likely is a TRON VE and will it be any different?

By HENSBROOKER

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 217 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Strange
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-887.jpg
image.jpg
10462595_10152513252024244_5351196712271138566_n.jpg
222152_10150179157879244_6155566_n.jpg
end-419.jpg
stack_of_cash.png
pennies.jpg
stack_of_cash.png
crying_baby-962.gif
tron-backbox-masters-of-sex.jpg
whiny.jpg
Loomis and Sheriff.jpg
DSCN2791.JPG
th-111.jpeg
mh.jpg
th-261.jpeg
There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 9 years ago

Topic title says most of it... Will a TRON VE come to light and will it be any different than the current regular versions? Or better; which of the regulars runs will it represent?

Am quite interested in having a TRON myself...

#2 9 years ago

Well, look at IMVE and you have your answer:

Tron VE:

-Based on "Pro"
-LEDs instead of incandescents (not color changing)
-Metal backbox
-possibly different toys because the originals aren't available
-Software updates slightly to work LEDs better
-Different translite art

#3 9 years ago

you can still buy them NIB if you look around. pinballlife still has them on his site.

#4 9 years ago

3 Tron runs already, id hope they'd choose another title

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Well, look at IMVE and you have your answer:
Tron VE:
-Based on "Pro"
-LEDs instead of incandescents (not color changing)
-Metal backbox
-possibly different toys because the originals aren't available
-Software updates slightly to work LEDs better
-Different translite art

I agree....minor differences to distinguish a "Vault" addition. Stern has my vote....I want one!

#6 9 years ago

I'd hope they'd include all the GAMEPLAY features of the LE (but not identical cosmetic appearance to keep LE unique).

#7 9 years ago

With 3 runs of the game already done they are going to have to do something more than just add LED's if they want to sell more than a handful of them.

#8 9 years ago

I have tron pro with 2 translight on layaway and if the ve comes out b4 i get this one i might switch.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

you can still buy them NIB if you look around. pinballlife still has them on his site.

Yes, if you want want to go the route of buying from extreme profiteers (not just Pinball Life, but other retailers as well), NIB Trons are still available. I'd rather buy at a normal NIB price.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Mato:

3 Tron runs already, id hope they'd choose another title

TSPP, SM or LOTR is what I would like to see. Tron would sell well though.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

TSPP, SM or LOTR is what I would like to see. Tron would sell well though.

indeed LOTR or SM would nice if had a new run

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Yes, if you want want to go the route of buying from extreme profiteers (not just Pinball Life, but other retailers as well), NIB Trons are still available. I'd rather buy at a normal NIB price.

Oh boy, the extreme profiteers.....

Anyway, those are Trents games not PBL's.

#13 9 years ago

I'd like a Tron 2 pin
...or a TronR = Tron Retro. Based on the Original Movie (the world's 1st "prequel pin" ?)

Completely different playfield, artwork, voice-overs, music, rule-sets, etc...
And of course, would prefer 2 hot chix on the translite instead of 2 head shots of jeff bridges (oy vey).

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Sure. But the reason they still have them is because after 3 runs it was easy to have some overstock at the end.

I personally doubt that there's the same pent up demand for Tron. Maybe I'm wrong, but they re-ran it several times, there isn't exactly a shortage.

It makes as much sense if not more than any other game to get the VE treatment though, so who knows. (None of us, this is all baseless speculation!)

#15 9 years ago

They will probably change it up a bit.
DSCN2759.JPGDSCN2759.JPG

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They will probably change it up a bit.

DSCN2759.JPG 113 KB

Yup, change the nameplate and kill the LE market. That's what the price police are looking forward to!

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

Yup, change the nameplate and kill the LE market. That's what the price police are looking forward to!

Pins aren't investments.

Pins should be played not collected.

You should expect to loose money.

/sarcasm

Does that cover it all?

#18 9 years ago

I'd be interested in a Tron VE with an MSRP of $5k (meaning I could get one to my door for mid to upper $4k), which is less than the NIB ones still left.

But I'd be just as ok with a NIB LOTR VE.

#19 9 years ago

LOTR would be very interesting. It has two outstanding issues that a VE remake could potentially fix.

The easy one is the cabinet screening is just crappy. From that era of giant dots and poor resolution. The source art probably looks awesome, and if they printed on this new foil style thing they're doing for Iron Man (and Mustang LE I guess) the gold in the art would probably look awesome.

The second one is maybe trickier. LOTR is a Whitestar game, they'd have to port it over to SAM probably, or SAM's successor maybe, who knows. So would the porting be easy? Hopefully. Here's the real trick though, would the new system have more memory and allow them to fix the poor quality sound samples? Because that would rule.

Imagine the pitch: New LOTR, with metallic glowing cabinet art, and newly updated rich sound quality, for thousands less than those other guys selling the same theme. Did we mention we've got the same guy on rules as that other machine? Oh, and you can have it next month!

#20 9 years ago

I was in the market for a Tron and passed on the NIB at $6.3K shipped. Found a heavily modded shipped for the almost the same price. I would have bought a NIB at $5K shipped in a heartbeat. Almost jumped on the available now NIB but remembered how bland the pro game looks stock and realized I'd be into the mods for at least another $1500

#21 9 years ago

An LOTR VE would be quite interesting indeed... !

Although unrealistic thinking, still hoping they 'improve' the VE with LE ruleset -> added 'Daft Punk' multiball + targetbank.

#22 9 years ago

tron-daftpunk-multiball.jpgtron-daftpunk-multiball.jpg

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

LOTR would be very interesting. It has two outstanding issues that a VE remake could potentially fix.
The easy one is the cabinet screening is just crappy. From that era of giant dots and poor resolution. The source art probably looks awesome, and if they printed on this new foil style thing they're doing for Iron Man (and Mustang LE I guess) the gold in the art would probably look awesome.
The second one is maybe trickier. LOTR is a Whitestar game, they'd have to port it over to SAM probably, or SAM's successor maybe, who knows. So would the porting be easy? Hopefully. Here's the real trick though, would the new system have more memory and allow them to fix the poor quality sound samples? Because that would rule.
Imagine the pitch: New LOTR, with metallic glowing cabinet art, and newly updated rich sound quality, for thousands less than those other guys selling the same theme. Did we mention we've got the same guy on rules as that other machine? Oh, and you can have it next month!

How about proper art work for Lotr and none of this photo shop look.

#24 9 years ago

Have anyone herd when they supposed to be brining out Tron VE ? I hope the rumor is true and i think we need to spam stern with request for Lotr Ve

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

I'd like a Tron 2 pin
...or a TronR = Tron Retro. Based on the Original Movie (the world's 1st "prequel pin" ?)
Completely different playfield, artwork, voice-overs, music, rule-sets, etc...
(snipped cheap shot at The Dude)

This is a fantastic idea!

stern-confirms-tron-retro-2015.jpgstern-confirms-tron-retro-2015.jpg
#26 9 years ago

Money on the table = likely production.

100% expected that it will be different to the pro and LE in a way that will entice the buyer to get it.

#27 9 years ago

That's not a cheap shot... I just think 2 hot chix are nicer to look at than 2 Jeff bridges, really

Now, if there were 2 Danny devito's on there, that would be a whole other consideration
Ps. I hear he's secretly on pinside.
image-776.jpgimage-776.jpg

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

I'd hope they'd include all the GAMEPLAY features of the LE (but not identical cosmetic appearance to keep LE unique).

This is what I want as well. I would be in for this in a heartbeat.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I would quickly be in on a LOTR VE...even if the artwork and sound remained the same...

#30 9 years ago

By the way, where's that idiot who said that once Stern is done with a license they can't produce any more games?

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Mato:

How about proper art work for Lotr and none of this photo shop look.

They're never going to change the art for an old game, not cost effective. So it is what it is.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

Topic title says most of it... Will a TRON VE come to light and will it be any different than the current regular versions? Or better; which of the regulars runs will it represent?
Am quite interested in having a TRON myself...

If your interested in having a TRON, they are fairly easy to find since STERN did 3 runs IIRC. I picked up a beauty last year for ~5.3k with a lot of extras (all 3 translites, arcade mod, Hallmark light cycles, LED's, slide rails, etc.). They did several runs and most are babied HUO examples.

I don't get the fascination with STERN's "Vault Edition" branding. It's just a rerun (which they've done before) while trying to stick with their current cabinets and lighting.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

By the way, where's that idiot who said that once Stern is done with a license they can't produce any more games?

Well I was one of the idiots that said Iron Man would never be remade. Not just because of the license, but lots of other reasons. I was wrong. Stern has now capped the secondary market. Nobody in their right mind would pay more than Pro price for any modern Stern Pro game. Not LOTR, not Tron, nothing. And that means flippers won't bother squirreling away extra machines. Remember back right before each new Tron run a bunch of NIB games went up for sale? Those won't exist anymore. From their actions, Stern thinks they can sell more without those people buying NIB to save for later. Only time will tell if they are right or not.

#34 9 years ago

Don't forget about us overseas, no TRON's available here right now!

Could be keen on a new one

#35 9 years ago

Stern, make the VE with fiber optic ramps and Daft Punk at a resonable price. I think the retro idea is awesome too, but probably very unlikely. People who just have to have the latest and greatest will buy it and maybe sell their regular old Tron to me for sub $4K.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I would quickly be in on a LOTR VE...even if the artwork and sound remained the same...

Me too.. 498 to go. I think the boardset will be the issue, not demand for the game.

#37 9 years ago

Alright now THERE is an actual reason to get behind an LOTR - if they really improved the sound. Still think Tron VE with the ramps would be the one I would buy.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

Have anyone herd when they supposed to be brining out Tron VE ? I hope the rumor is true and i think we need to spam stern with request for Lotr Ve

We've had a Tron VE more than once.

Gary has already said NO on LE remakes.

There never was a premium so You are all dreaming if You think You'll see a Tron that could damage LE value.

If Stern did a premium Tron they would NEVER sell another LE of any game they manufacture. Gary is very aware of this. Just look at the facebook post when the BIBLE hit the Stern Facebook page. They edited to let You know it wasn't going to happen and it was a customers game.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I don't get the fascination with STERN's "Vault Edition" branding. It's just a rerun (which they've done before) while trying to stick with their current cabinets and lighting.

Well, IM was kind of unique, when people were asking for $5800 for a routed game with some mods and people were paying near $7K for nib games.

Plus, IM was more rare than a lot of Stern games

here on Pinside there are 554 Tron owners plus you can buy NIB all day long on the internet

there are 235 owners of IM on Pinside and the NIBs are all but gone.

Plus IM had 3-4 years of pent up demand while Tron has been out of production around 1 year.

So to answer you question, the fascination was with IM. I started a thread a month or two about it, I asked about it a year ago also. People said it was impossible. But turns out all those people who said it could never happen were wrong.

Stern could sell SM or POTC probably sell OK, but IMO IM was the *one* game that was most in need of a re-run for the reason it was never re-run before and because it seems to have got more of a following as time went on. Where Tron or Metallica sold well when out, IM did not sell as well, so the demand was there.

Although I was into pinball for many years, I took a long break so I missed out on when IM or SM and Tron were released. I was able to pick up a nice HUO SM no problem, I got a re-run of Tron no problem. But I was darn well not going to pay $5800 for a routed IM. So when a new IM was announced for $1000 cheaper than used or almost $2K cheaper than a 4 year old NIB game, it was almost too good to be true.

#40 9 years ago

3 editions already and still some nib's floating around. also adding more to the pro version would be getting close to stepping on the toes of le collectors. from a business standpoint to bring out a game this recent and with big numbers out there already would make no sense whatsoever. yes its a popular title but too many other things against bringing out a VE. I know there are some hopefuls out there but I think its time to let it go.
Much more chance of an older release such SM or LOTR, maybe even TSPP
So in answering the question to the thread there is a very bleak chance of a Tron VE on the horizon. And that's being generous.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Well, IM was kind of unique, when people were asking for $5800 for a routed game with some mods and people were paying near $7K for nib games.
Plus, IM was more rare than a lot of Stern games
here on Pinside there are 554 Tron owners plus you can buy NIB all day long on the internet
there are 235 owners of IM on Pinside and the NIBs are all but gone.
Plus IM had 3-4 years of pent up demand while Tron has been out of production around 1 year.
So to answer you question, the fascination was with IM. I started a thread a month or two about it, I asked about it a year ago also. People said it was impossible. But turns out all those people who said it could never happen were wrong.
Stern could sell SM or POTC probably sell OK, but IMO IM was the *one* game that was most in need of a re-run for the reason it was never re-run before and because it seems to have got more of a following as time went on. Where Tron or Metallica sold well when out, IM did not sell as well, so the demand was there.
Although I was into pinball for many years, I took a long break so I missed out on when IM or SM and Tron were released. I was able to pick up a nice HUO SM no problem, I got a re-run of Tron no problem. But I was darn well not going to pay $5800 for a routed IM. So when a new IM was announced for $1000 cheaper than used or almost $2K cheaper than a 4 year old NIB game, it was almost too good to be true.

All makes sense. I understand why doing another IM run is exciting (pent up demand). Since VE == Run, it makes no sense to talk about TRON VE...Stern has already done 3 Runs/VE's/whatever...plenty of TRON Pro's to pickup at sensible prices.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

3 editions already and still some nib's floating around. also adding more to the pro version would be getting close to stepping on the toes of le collectors. from a business standpoint to bring out a game this recent and with big numbers out there already would make no sense whatsoever. yes its a popular title but too many other things against bringing out a VE. I know there are some hopefuls out there but I think its time to let it go.
Much more chance of an older release such SM or LOTR, maybe even TSPP
So in answering the question to the thread there is a very bleak chance of a Tron VE on the horizon. And that's being generous.

Plus, if it makes sense any to add to the rules now to Tron to goose sales, it would have made sense last year or 18 months ago when the previous two runs were made, but only got different art and decals and different toys. If anything, I would expect Tron to be the same as Pro (also no 3D translite) but with LEDs.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

plenty of TRON Pro's to pickup at sensible prices.

6k pros , 10k LE's, sensible??

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

6k pros , 10k LE's, sensible??

20k LE's by August

#45 9 years ago

There's no rule or really any history of Stern making the PF features/toys in LE games any different than that of a Premium. All of you Tron LE owners who think they will "damage" future LE sales by making a true Tron Premium/VE with lighted ramps should look below. What would make Tron immune?

Avengers Premium and Hulk LE - same PF and toys

AC/DC Premium and BIBLE - same PF and toys

Metallica Premium and MOPLE - same PF and toys

Star Trek Premium and STLE - same PF and toys

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This idea is a winner, and I'd be in for one!

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

There's no rule or really any history of Stern making the PF features/toys in LE games any different than that of a Premium. All of you TRON LE owners who think they will "damage" future LE sales by making a true Tron Premium/VE with lighted ramps should look below. What would make Tron immune?
Avengers Premium and Hulk LE - same PF and toys
AC/DC Premium and BIBLE - same PF and toys
Metallica Premium and MOPLE - same PF and toys
Star Trek Premium and STLE - same PF and toys

Beaten to death already in several other threads. Most LE's have very different art packages that seperate it from the Premium and Pro. TRON LE for all intents and purposes was really just a limited run of Tron Premium as there was no seperate art package from the Pro, just more features. So how do you make a Tron Premium now that is different from the LE. To give it a new art package would possibly make it better looking than the LE.

The only way I could see them doing anything would be to do a TRON Pro Plus, i.e. make the Tron Pro, add the ramp lights and powder coating then leave everything else the same (no moving recognizer, no chrome, no drop targets, no DP multi-ball). As it is most everyone who buys a Pro puts Eli's Ramp kit into them, the game just looks naked without it.

#48 9 years ago

On the other side of the lake there are different rules:

- No NIB's available.
- Shipping + import tax would be to costly.
- Beat up routed ones for about $6K.
- HUO LE from $11K and up.
- HUO Pro's in between.

TRON has proven itself over time which leads to (new) demand...

Btw... In contrast, LOTR's are available in reasonable quantities over here.

#49 9 years ago

I talked to Stern a few weeks ago right before I bought my HUO Tron and they told me they have no liscense for any more Tron machines and they wouldn't be building more. FWIW.

#50 9 years ago

Not much.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Trade
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-likely-is-a-tron-ve-and-will-it-be-any-different and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.