Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“I play my pin like:”

• There's more where it came from 7 votes
      21%
    • I have a warehouse of parts 7 votes
      21%
    • The 3 year old next to me at the arcade 1 vote
      3%
    • It's an original 1950's 300SL Mercedes Gullwing 15 votes
      44%
    • It's none of your business 4 votes
      12%

(Multiple choice - 34 votes)

#1 11 years ago

So I just got done playing my 24 year old Jokerz!, and every time I play this game or High Speed or any other "older" game, I always find myself playing the game a little "kinder" than when I was a kid, and these games were new.
    You know the mindset of, when it's not yours, you were younger, and I'm gonna beat this thing.
    Today with critical parts like plastics and such, next to impossible to find, do you still play these games with a hard core attitude? Or do you plan more of your shots so they roll off the flippers with a little less kill to them, taking better aim at your ramps and targets. Even as a pinball Ace I remember hitting the glass much more when I was younger than now. I cringe when that happens today. I never knew how destructive and loud that ball is until you have the glass off, something I was never aware of when I was just dropping quarters for fun in the arcades, preparing to kill the game..!!!

#2 11 years ago

I treat my pins like I treat my lady; gentle and nice, but sometimes we just have to get a little raw and dirty.

#3 11 years ago

They are my babies. I have to take care of them!

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from cireone:

I treat my pins like I treat my lady; gentle and nice, but sometimes we just have to get a little raw and dirty.

Thats a good way to sum it up! Treat them like your lady!

#5 11 years ago

I'm so kind to them I'll double post about it.

#6 11 years ago

"Ride'em hard and put'em away wet."

Well, not really.
    I play fair but with authority.
    The beauty of pins is you can always replace/repair whatever breaks down.

#7 11 years ago

I play them nice. I don't get rough untill the ball drains, LOL.

#8 11 years ago

They are played with authority and well-maintained. Of course, these machines were designed for much worse.

#9 11 years ago

Every time i turn on my pins and they all work fine i look up and just say thank you....

#10 11 years ago

I will walk them up the stairs if the tilt allows it, which it won't because it's set almost the same on all my machines. When I play, I battle. They are commercial machines, and the nudging and moving within the tilt allowance does not hurt them.

Moving the machine is part of the play.

#11 11 years ago

I treat them like Gold.

#12 11 years ago

I play them like they are meant to be played, whether they are new or old. I have "high tapped" 70's EM's that play great - even faster than they did when new.
    My 80's SS Blackout with a clear coated playfield plays fast and furious. If something breaks, then I have to fix it even if it means remaking the part.
    It's all part of the hobby to me. These machines weren't meant to just be looked at.

#13 11 years ago

I nudge and shake them some while playing, but I don't beat on them or kick them.
    Rarely ever set a drink on them.

Concerning moving pins in & out of the house, the better the condition is on the cabinet, the more careful I am to avoid scratching the cabinet.

Also enjoy keeping the playfield clean.
    Probably should try harder to protect the plastics from scratches.

#14 11 years ago

I just can't wait for the next poll, they get... well, not sure how to even explain some of them... oh dear!

#15 11 years ago

Play em hard, pull that glass, rinse and repeat. My youngest machine (Road Kings) is 16 years old And my oldest (United 3-4-5) is 61 years old so I find myself inside my machines performing maintinence quite often which is fine in my book. If I'm not fixing I'm not learning.

#16 11 years ago

I say beat um' up, play m hard and if something gona break, let it. Give's me the excuse to fix it

#17 11 years ago

I don't really understand what constitutes "hard" play to the point you break something. maybe I'm playing pinball all wrong... I try and practice ball control and attain the highest score possible. I still have things break that I have to fix but I don't think it has anything to do with "how I play" my games. maybe I'm wrong... I don't know. Is it a time thing... do you guys play for 5 hours strait? is that what playing them "hard" is about?

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from Ranhorton:

"Ride'em hard and put'em away wet."

I definitely don't want to know what you do with your pins.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

I definitely don't want to know what you do with your pins.

right... maybe look to the "lets see your nasty rubbers" topic.... hmmm

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from APOLLO_13:

I don't really understand what constitutes "hard" play to the point you break something. maybe I'm playing pinball all wrong... I try and practice ball control and attain the highest score possible. I still have things break that I have to fix but I don't think it has anything to do with "how I play" my games. maybe I'm wrong... I don't know. Is it a time thing... do you guys play for 5 hours strait? is that what playing them "hard" is about?

I'm with you on this one. I nudge as hard as my tilt let's me and I play often. I practice ball control and finesse. Not sure what else I could be doing to play HARD. If I removed the tilt completely I guess I could just wreck the machine but I think having a tilt is mandatory. Otherwise your cheating. Anyone can keep the ball from draining with no tilt and walking it all over the room. I don't concern myself at all about things breaking while I play and the dangers of such have no bearing on how I play but beat em up, play em hard, like a 3 year old, away wet? What are you guys doing? Never mind I don't want to know. I love them and play them constantly.

#21 11 years ago

You need a few more options in the poll. Like, Play as if it is the last of its kind or I don't play it to stop wear and tear.

#22 11 years ago

According to my scores, I'm really, really, really, really kind to them.....

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

According to my scores, I'm really, really, really, really kind to them.....

LOL

#24 11 years ago

I just have the tilt pendulum wires installed not the pendulum itself - so you really have to rack it good to tilt it. My family and friends get on me for having the tilts installed, because I had them completely removed before. Jeez, these babies
    are antiques folks - I have to draw the line somewhere!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-kind-are-you-to-your-pins-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.