(Topic ID: 205264)

How is williams double bonus supposed to work?

By paddlepaw

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by paddlepaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Big-Deal-Work-09 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I have a big deal (1977) that is not scoring all of the double bonus. Regular bonus is scored just fine. I'm looking at the schematics and I understand how the regular bonus works but I'm not sure how it effectively gets doubled so I'm not sure where to start.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from paddlepaw:

I have a big deal (1977) that is not scoring all of the double bonus. Regular bonus is scored just fine. I'm looking at the schematics and I understand how the regular bonus works but I'm not sure how it effectively gets doubled so I'm not sure where to start.

if you look at the 1000pt circuit around row 19 of the schematics, there's a M/B on the double bonus relay, and the bottom path then goes through a NC switch on the long dwell score motor cam. When double bonus is off, the Impulse cam (on the left side of that circuit) will pulse the 10000pt relay 5x per motor turn, however when the double bonus is energized, the circuit also has to go through the long dwell, which will block it 3/5 of the time, meaning that you'll only get 2x 10000pt advances per score motor turn. At the same time, another M/B switch on the double bonus relay is controlling the bonus unit reset (step down) on row 13 of the schematics. When double bonus is off, the five pulses from the impulse cam will get through, counting down the bonus unit 5x per turn, but when the double bonus is on, separate switches on just two of the cams (3 and 5) provide only two pulses per turn.

#3 6 years ago

So maybe my problem is the long dwell is blocking it too many times. Thanks for the detailed description! I've got some more troubleshooting to do.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from paddlepaw:

So maybe my problem is the long dwell is blocking it too many times. Thanks for the detailed description! I've got some more troubleshooting to do.

What exactly is happening wrong? The long dwell isn't something that's adjustable or can go out of sync

#5 6 years ago

Gotcha. As an example let's say i max out the bonus and get double bonus. That should be 200k. I never get that. It's almost random. I'll get 60k one time and 140k another. I've watched the 10,000 Point relay and that only gets triggered a certain number of times. I don't know if it has anything to do with it but the bonus reset coil gets triggered 10 times as I would expect in this example.

#6 6 years ago

Hi paddlepaw, zacaj +
I happen to like to do some "work" in MS-Paint --- I hope this is of help. Greetings Rolf

0Big-Deal-Work-09 (resized).jpg0Big-Deal-Work-09 (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

Check your Outhole relay switches, esp. M/B.

#8 6 years ago

I got it working. I cleaned the ball index relay switch, the bonus relay switch, double bonus relay switch 13B and the long dwell 2c on the path to the 10000 Point relay coil. Cleaning each one gave me a few more points. Thanks to everyone who helped out!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-is-williams-double-bonus-supposed-to-work and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.