Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LOTR-Pinball-Score3.jpg
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 11 years ago

Ahhh, I was wondering if the Seventh Gift was required for Valinor. Now I know.
By the way, Atomicboy, I believe that's why your Gift shot was flashing again -- it was letting you know there was one more gift to collect (it doesn't have an insert).

I've been getting fairly close to Valinor this last week, so I really need to nail down the rules. I think I have them down well, except for the 7th GotE.

Earlier today, I beat all 3 multiballs, got to TABA, and collected 6 GotE's. (I also destroyed the ring earlier in the game, but that's almost irrelevant to the discussion).

Now that I had accomplished all the above, I gain control of the ball and consider what I need to do to get to Valinor. The six GotE inserts were all lit solid.

How do I get the 7th gift??

At this point, I had played all 3 MBs again (thank God for MB progression, that's how I've been able to beat RotK), so DTR was lit! I knew I didn't have the 7th GotE, so I didn't want to start DTR, as that means that I would have had to qualify all three MBs again, get the 7th GotE, and then DTR again!

Once DTR is lit, is there a way to start a mode without shooting the ring?

How will you know when you have obtained the 7th GotE?

LOTR-Pinball-Score3.jpgLOTR-Pinball-Score3.jpg

#51 11 years ago
Quoted from brannonrad:

If DTR is lit, starting Gollum multiball will unlight it until you are back to one ball. With Gollum running, you can continue to try for modes.
-Brannon

Crap! Of course this is the answer! Should have thought of this. It obviously makes more sense to try and qualify Gollum and start his MB than it would be to start DTR and try to qualify all the MBs again.

Thanks for the response.

I'd still like to know how to confirm that you have obtained the 7th GotE?

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

I don't recall if it does something different with the GOTE inserts, because it's been too long since my last trip to Valinor, but two things will clue you in:
- you really can't "miss" playing the 7th gift. It's memorable. Trust me.
- I think the GOTE inserts reset to all unlit after you've played the 7th GOTE.
Oh, and your other option instead of doing the Gollum mb trick to starting another mode is to requalify (and complete) one of the movie mb's before unintentionally shooting the ring and starting DTR. This will earn you your next gift. From your experience, it sounds like TTT would be the way to go for you to have the best chance of doing it in one shot.

Excellent! Thanks for posting this.

#54 11 years ago

WTF!?

Had my best game ever on LOTR today. Making shots left and right, lots of extra balls, beat all 3 MB's, got to TABA, got 7th GotE (and more)...all I needed to do to finish it off and get to Valinor was DTR.

I need to start all 3 MBs again to get to DTR. I was able to do that with FotR and RotK, but...what the hell...I could not start TTT to save my life! Seems like I had hundreds of KEEP letters, but I couldn't lock a single ball to save my life! I had played TTT at least two times previously.

What was I doing wrong? Obviously I still don't know the rules good enough.

This was pretty frustrating...so close, but so very far away.

#64 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Do like Rob does...close the outlanes and set the difficulty on easy

I do have the outlanes pulled in (not closed), and the tilt is on the loose side, but the settings are all factory (Directors Cut). I want to at least have a chance to get to Valinor!

But you have yours on 5 balls!

Quoted from Propaganda:

I could tell from his scores on his games that he made the tilt loose too.

Yes, but the outlanes being in the minimum position make more of a difference than the loose tilt in my opinion.

At least I have it on 3 balls, not 5 like Ice!

Quoted from pinballcorpse:

You may find yourself NOT wanting to get that 3rd sword lock to avoid playing TTT if that is the last mb before lighting DTR and Valinor requirements are not met. Avoiding DTR by playing Gollum may not be best either since you are playing a multiball.
Keith may chime in, but thought it was the 4th round on factory when they disappeared.
1st you can stack KEEP and locks
2nd + 3rd you light KEEP and have to lock a ball before spelling KEEP for next lock
4th round and on is "Kosmal lock rule" (disappearing KEEP letters)

That certainly sounds accurate to me.

So when you get to the "Kosmal lock rule", is there even a way to lock balls for TTT?

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from mufcmufc:

Have 3 lit, roll over the unlit one and straight up the Sword ramp. As long as when you have the keep letters lit, you avoid the inlanes you're fine. If you do hit an inlane then relight and make the damned ramp!

Perfect! Thanks for the explanation.

#68 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I want to have a chance to get to Valinor in my lifetime...I don't think I'll make it for quite some time, as much as I've played this pin I still don't get all the rules and tricks

I'm with you! That's why I pulled my outlane posts in and loosened the tilt. I want to have a chance to get their too. But I want to do it on 3 balls. I know, I know, some will say six of one, half dozen of the other etc.

I'm also still learning the rules...as you can see in this thread. Keith's work on this game was genius!

#76 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I had my tilt tight, and decided it was impossible enough and opened her up. Didn't help. Longer ball times, but no happy ending for me.
but at the same time. I wouldnt' want it any other way. It's the reason I would keep coming back and play LOTR more than any of my games i've gotten to the ending of. If or when the day comes I get to the ending. It was such a long and difficult journey to get there. It very well might bring a tear to my eye.

That's a very good point. I've been playing the crap out of LOTR the last few weeks, and the main reason is that I've been as close to Valinor as ever (which still isn't *that* close, since I haven't even been to the stage where I have started DTR as the last step), so I feel that it is within reach. It's what is keeping me coming back for more. Well, that and all the other great stuff I experience on the way, including TABA, which is a super cool mini wizard mode.

#78 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

but also, if I get very close to Valinor. I mean on it's doorstep. You can believe i'm immediately turning off the Extra balls on specials, because if I get there with that little crutch. I'll feel like I kind of cheated myself out of a full on battle victory. I keep it like that, so I can somewhat feel like i'm making progress. But I dont' want to "win" that way. Just be able to get close enough where I feel I don't need it anymore.

I agree!

If I get to Valinor on my current settings, the first thing that I will do after that is open the outlane posts back up and tighten the tilt.

#82 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

LOTR is a long drawn out epic battle. Very long. Which captures the feel of the movies perfectly. I couldn't think of a better theme, where this fits this well.

Couldn't agree more.

Quoted from pinballcorpse:

If a player reaches Valinor even with "crutches" they should feel proud. It is a very challenging task that demands some good play. A player cannot dumb luck into Valinor even with tons of extra balls closed inlanes and loose tilt.
There is a measure of skill in reaching Valinor no matter how you slice it. Yes reaching on factory is perhaps preferred, but in all the years the game has been out there have not been tons of Valinor posts of any kind. You know by now people have played a lot of games with easy settings extra ball tiers etc. it does not matter. Making it easier will only help so much. Skill must be executed. It is an elite wizard mode.
Keep it up guys and report back! You will make it!

Thanks for posting this. I was starting to lose some of the excitement that I had been feeling about getting somewhat close to Valinor based on some of the posts about closing the outlanes and a loose tilt! It is what it is, and I know I have a better chance of getting there with these settings.

Now I'm motivated again! I'm going to keep at it for sure.

2 weeks later
#90 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Thanks for posting this. I was starting to lose some of the excitement that I had been feeling about getting somewhat close to Valinor based on some of the posts about closing the outlanes and a loose tilt! It is what it is, and I know I have a better chance of getting there with these settings.

Now I'm motivated again! I'm going to keep at it for sure.

And today is the best pinball day of my life! I was smelling Valinor, which kept me coming back for more.

Today I had a great first ball, got to DTR on first ball (but failed), and was able to complete a lot of the modes which helped me collect the GotE's quickly. Once I got to TABA I had already collected 7 GotE's (that 7th GotE is cool!), I sucked hard at TABA, but I was on a roll. Last MB to defeat was RotK, which I did.

At this point I noticed that the rollovers were turning off again for TTT and I was thinking that it was going to be a bitch to restart it so I could DTR to get to Valinor. I was shocked when RotK MB was over and I hit the Ring that DTR started. I wasn't paying attention, and TTT and FotR were already lit solid, so once I was done with RotK, DTR was ready.

Up to this point, I was very calm. I think that played a huge part in why I was doing so well. Shots were feeling effortless.

Of course as soon as I realized that this was the last step before Valinor, the blood pressure immediately skyrocketed, and my damn hands started to shake! I thought that there was no chance in hell that I was going to DTR under these circumstances. Well, it sure wasn't easy! Came close to tilting once. Got the ball in the Ring, and I was down to one final shot for DTR. Despite my negativity (I was still confident I would choke), my shaking hands, and through the roof blood pressure...I nailed the final shot and Destroyed the Ring!

I quickly pulled out my iPhone to take a video. I think you can see my hands shaking in the video! Was home alone so nobody was around to video actual Valinor gameplay, but I did get the start of it.

You can see at the start of the video that it took me 2 1/2 minutes to DTR! Long enough to pop a blood vessel or two!

Of course once I started playing the mode, I was so relieved and excited just to be there that I pretty much choked. So now the motivation will be to get there again and do better once there.

Quoted from iceman44:

If you get to Valinor that way then I'll send you one of my Westies for celebration (if I haven't consumed them all by then!)

I will PM you my address!

5 years later
#93 5 years ago

Wow! Talk about a blast from the past. I can't believe that it was 5 years ago that I got to Valinor.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-is-valinor-started?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.