Topic Stats

• 94 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by RobT
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

LOTR-Pinball-Score3.jpg
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Please tell me you don’t start Valinor by hitting the left orbit when a gift is lit when it’s ready?

I beat all the MBs, destroyed the ring once, and lost on it the second time. Got all the gifts, did TTBA, but didn’t finish, and after this ended, and after I got all the gifts, the gift started flashing again, after I didn’t win anything. Took one shot at it, missed and SDTM

I will hang myself in the pool shed tonight if that is how it starts, and I was that close… I tried finding how it was started, but couldn’t find much, but found something on RGP stating after you did all this you had to destroy the ring once again and then it starts - does anyone know?

I don’t usually like finding out before doing or other spoilers, but for such a great game, I don’t think I could feel more disappointed right now

#2 6 years ago

Holy crap I'm impressed you were able to do all that!

#3 6 years ago

Take off the glass and start pressing switches and....

Sorry had to do it.

#4 6 years ago

Seriously though, I think you would have to DTR again.

#5 6 years ago

Yeah after all the requirements are met, a successful DTR will get you to Valinor (you may notice it teases you after each successful DTR beforehand... "There is more yet to do" or whatever).

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Yeah after all the requirements are met, a successful DTR will get you to Valinor (you may notice it teases you after each successful DTR beforehand... "There is more yet to do" or whatever).

You really were in a bad mood the day you wrote the code for LOTR weren't you?? (;

Man you wanna talk about a game that is brutal to even get close to the wizard mode on. Wonder what the percent of LOTR owners that have reached valinor with the glass on is??? .0001%??

#7 6 years ago

So you are sure about that then? You have to DTR only after doing all the rest? You can't do it all, and finish the last couple things after DTR, and then it starts? I'm not doubting you, I just don't know why the gift started flashing after I didn't win TTBA. I thought for sure that what it was.

The ball control I had tonight was mad... and then when that happened, it fell COMPLETELY apart when I thought I might be starting Valinor.

Edit - is this Keith??

#8 6 years ago

Yep. Keith.

#9 6 years ago

Definitely not me. I've had awesome games, 45-1hr games, but not even close. Maybe 75% of the way there.

#10 6 years ago

Wow, ok, scratch my last question then, I'm guessing you're sure

Well, I'm somewhat glad, and somewhat disappointed. I'm glad because I didn't shit the bed with one shot left, but still disappointed, as I thought maybe I was so close, but I guess I was not.

Oh well, keep to the quick games of LOTR and stay happy is the moral

#11 6 years ago

I look at it as a multi year challenge....one of these days!

#12 6 years ago

Keith, do you have to win all of the multi-balls to get to Valinor or just the Fellowship multi-ball?

I think the Fellowship and Tower multi-balls are reasonably achievable, but there is something about the 4 different shots that you have to make 10 times (but in sets of one each before you can count the shot again) in ROTK multiball that just seems nearly impossible. I have to see if I can make that multi-ball less levels in the game settings.

I have finally gotten good enough to routinely get around 3 to 5 Gifts from the Elves and have missed 6 gifts by one shot a couple of times recently, so I am progressively getting better. I really have SM to thank for the improvement. SM is a great game for learning how to control/trap the ball. And, yes, I have made the Super Hero level multiple times in that game but that is nothing compared to Valinor.

The great thing about LOTR is that I do not find myself getting frustrated trying to get to Valinor. I just enjoy playing regardless of whether I get farther than the time before. It is such an adventure.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

You really were in a bad mood the day you wrote the code for LOTR weren't you?? (;
Man you wanna talk about a game that is brutal to even get close to the wizard mode on. Wonder what the percent of LOTR owners that have reached valinor with the glass on is??? .0001%??

I have been to the final shot with te ring holding the ball during dtr with all the goals completed and missed the final shot to knock the ball out a total of....*drum roll*.... 6 times! Not 6 times I've been to the final dtr sequence but 6 times I've been to the final shot of the game and choked!

The first year I owned the game I thought you only had to light all the GOTE as well as all the other tasks; when I did that and dtr and did not get valinor, I took off the glass and realized there's a secret GOTE. Keefer is a mean sob! LOL

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I have been to the final shot with te ring holding the ball during dtr with all the goals completed and missed the final shot to knock the ball out a total of....*drum roll*.... 6 times! Not 6 times I've been to the final dtr sequence but 6 times I've been to the final shot of the game and choked!
The first year I owned the game I thought you only had to light all the GOTE as well as all the other tasks; when I did that and dtr and did not get valinor, I took off the glass and realized there's a secret GOTE. Keefer is a mean sob! LOL

secret... infos please...

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The great thing about LOTR is that I do not find myself getting frustrated trying to get to Valinor. I just enjoy playing regardless of whether I get farther than the time before. It is such an adventure.

Exactly DC...no frustration, just plain fun!

#16 6 years ago

Yes, it's Keith. To be perfectly clear:

1. WIN (get a super jackpot) all 3 multiballs
2. Play TABA
3. Collect all *7* gifts of the elves

When all of those are done (in any order), the next DTR will start Valinor.

Personally I think ROTK is the hardest mb, but then I'm a sucker for trying to get the jackpots in-order, so I don't necessarily play it as efficiently as I could. I did, however, get 6-7-8-9x supers once (= 30M).

Some people put off DTR by starting Gollum (which unlights DTR) to start more modes. Personally, I don't really understand this. Winning DTR is 15M (+2.5M) plus an elf gift, so it's nothing to sneeze at. The multiballs keep getting harder based on the number of times you play them, not based on DTRs, so there's nothing to be gained there either. (In the long run, though, ROTK actually gets easier with the 750 soul bonus from the left VUK even if you only get 1 solid light on POTD to start.)

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Seriously though, I think you would have to DTR again.

Yes, after all gifts are collected and all multiballs are completed/beaten (not just played) you must THEN destroy the ring. Any rings destroyed before this are just for funzies.
Once all the gifts are collected and all the multiballs are completed and the ring has been destroyed I believe (but am not 100% sure) you have to shoot the middle ramp to start Valinor.
As far as I know TABA has nothing to do with your progress towards Valinor, but again, I could be wrong. I have only started Valinor once and I was so freaked out I drained before anything even started to happen (I was also about half in the bag). GAME OF MY LIFE though. Stupid luck for about 45 minutes straight.
Scott

#18 6 years ago

Thanks Keith! I kinda remembered it right. Don't remember playing TABA that night, but then there's a lot I don't remember . I suppose you would about HAVE to once you have played all the modes.
Scott

#19 6 years ago

Some people put off DTR by starting Gollum (which unlights DTR) to start more modes.

I know that rule VERY well... Stupid Gollum!
It never fails when I have GM lit and DTR lit at the same time and the ball falls short of the ring through the pops; landing into the VUK- accidentally starting GM. *sigh*

#20 6 years ago

Reading about this just makes me wanna play it...

#21 6 years ago

1. WIN (get a super jackpot) all 3 multiballs2. Play TABA3. Collect all *7* gifts of the elves
When all of those are done (in any order), the next DTR will start Valinor.
Personally I think ROTK is the hardest mb, but then I'm a sucker for trying to get the jackpots in-order, so I don't necessarily play it as efficiently as I could. I did, however, get 6-7-8-9x supers once (= 30M).
Some people put off DTR by starting Gollum (which unlights DTR) to start more modes. Personally, I don't really understand this. Winning DTR is 15M (+2.5M) plus an elf gift, so it's nothing to sneeze at. The multiballs keep getting harder based on the number of times you play them, not based on DTRs, so there's nothing to be gained there either. (In the long run, though, ROTK actually gets easier with the 750 soul bonus from the left VUK even if you only get 1 solid light on POTD to start.)

OK, somebody officially archive Keith's post and place it on their clipboard to paste into other posts as needed. The Valinor question comes up from from time to time on various boards and sometimes people still occasionally give wrong advice. This removes ALL DOUBT as to what to do.

Thank you, Keith.

#22 6 years ago

Some people put off DTR by starting Gollum (which unlights DTR) to start more modes. Personally, I don't really understand this.

In general, yes, plow through DTR and move on.

For me, it depends how close I am to Valinor. If, for example, I just need to pick up the last SJP on a multiball, then I don't want to have to play DTR, and qualify/play all 3 again to reach DTR. Especially if I am on the "Kosmal Locks"

#23 6 years ago

I agree, RTK is the hardest. I'm about 1 out of 3 for beating TTT, about 1 out of 10 for FS, but I've only beat RTK maybe 5 times ever. The other two you can get lucky with some spray action in MB, but for RTK, but the forth shot each phase, you really have to be holding and aiming.

So Keith, since I have my alltime rule hero responding here, I'll nurse this for all I can :

How many times have you yourself got there, just playing normally?

Same question for the final TSPP super wizard mode?

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from shakethatmachine:

I have only started Valinor once and I was so freaked out I drained before anything even started to happen (I was also about half in the bag).

Wow, I'm impressed you got to Valinor while "half in the bag." I've only made it when I've been in top form.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Especially if I am on the "Kosmal Locks"

???

#26 6 years ago

Sorry-

This was from YEARS ago on RGP. IIRC, "Kosmal Locks" was the name given to the TTT multiball wave where the KEEP lights unlight when you roll over them. I recall Keith saying he designed the later waves of TTT to be this way to keep people like John Kosmal (aka Koz, aka Pinlicious) from raping the TTT multiball setup.

Keith may chime in more, but that is what I recall the name for that TTT setup.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

but for RTK, but the forth shot each phase, you really have to be holding and aiming.

Exactly, and aiming WELL, might I add. The best feeling on ROTK mb is when you have a cradle separation of 2 balls, and with all four shots lit... use the ball on your right flipper to backhand the right ramp (feeds right flipper), hit the inner loop (live catch on your right flipper), nail the left ramp -- and just before the 1st ball gets back to the left inlane -- use the cradled 2nd ball on the left flipper to hit the right orbit.

If you time it just right, you can then try to repeat the same sequence by hitting the right ramp with the first ball that's feeding your left flipper from the left ramp, and quickly live catch the 2nd ball on your left flipper.

(Granted, it's rare that I pull off this exact combo perfectly, but when I have, I'm actually more euphoric than when I get that reward of hearing, "SUUUUUUUPER JACKPOOOOOT, whoahahaha!")

#28 6 years ago

3. Collect all *7* gifts of the elves

Ahhh, I was wondering if the Seventh Gift was required for Valinor. Now I know.
By the way, Atomicboy, I believe that's why your Gift shot was flashing again -- it was letting you know there was one more gift to collect (it doesn't have an insert).

Keith,
I'm intentionally trying to be cryptic so that Gift 7 isn't ruined for someone who wants to discover it, but can you earn an extra ball during Gift 7?

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

By the way, Atomicboy, I believe that's why your Gift shot was flashing again -- it was letting you know there was one more gift to collect (it doesn't have an insert).

I got that already, only my second time. I'm now wondering if I had maybe had another gift previously waiting before TTBA, and it reappeared after TTBA finished. I can't recall, games had like this produce so many MBs and crap it's hard to keep track. I find if I try to pause and figure stuff out, I lose my flow/luck/mojo, and everything goes south fast.

#30 6 years ago

having Keith reading and responding....PRICELESS!! I dont dtr often, but did it last night...on to Valinor...or not I guess by reading this

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Keith may chime in more, but that is what I recall the name for that TTT setup.

I couldn't find the original reference (though I do remember making it), but here is an explanation:

https://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/24decb2965c663bd?dmode=source&output=gplain&noredirect

#32 6 years ago

I just purchased Lotr last week and realize now that this quest to reach Valinor requires beyond heroic effort. I guess I will never be able to sell it

3 weeks later
#33 6 years ago

f'ing RTK... I had a massive game today, beat FS MB twice, TTT twice, TTBA, completed the gifts (13 in total!), and half way done RTK for Valinor but still couldn't do it.... Man, RTK is the real challenge out of everything for sure. Score of 548M.

I'm wondering if I should go back to default to get to valinor, as I had to bump the settings to medium, as I felt the game was too easy, and it was more or less non-stop MBs. RTK really is what I am going to be focusing on solely to start each game from now on. That is twice now I may have done this.

I included some photos. With a score like that, there are always casualties, and Frodo was decapitated in a 4 way stack I had going.

There is also photos of my POTD mod. I did the figures over the switches to correspond to the numbers. The camera of course makes the LEDs look ridiculously bright, which in fact they are not.

IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0005.JPG

#34 6 years ago

I like how you did your army of the dead here. Nice job.

#35 6 years ago

Thanks. It was a PITA doing, and those plastics sockets in the back were not meant for piggybacking two sets of wires, but I'll be damned if that will stop me

#36 6 years ago

**** complete all three multi ball modes, get all 6 gifts from the elves, get to there and back again then destroy the ring ****

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

complete all three multi ball modes, get all 6 gifts from the elves, get to there and back again then destroy the ring

7 gifts, not 6.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

With a score like that, there are always casualties, and Frodo was decapitated in a 4 way stack I had going.

LOL.

Ouch

#39 6 years ago

and here I thought I was closer on my 5 Gift Game, Damn... was 2 gifts away!

Truely an Epic Game Ruleset Keith, have you ever thought about designing board games?

Buck

#40 6 years ago

A few weeks back I finally reached Valinor after years of trying. The ROTK gift by itself kept me from Valinor at LEAST four or five times in the past. But I also installed the original day one diverter some guy came out with which places the ball in the return Legolas wireform, losing your bonus souls. While it protected the plastic/sam hole, it made getting the ROTK gift that much more difficult.

Anyway, it was very rewarding and I won't ruin it for those who haven't made it yet. It was surreal mainly because I couldn't believe it was actually happening when I started it, after being so close in the past so many times...

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from themegabuck:

have you ever thought about designing board games?

If I did that, it'd probably wind up being worse than Dune, and that thing probably took us 5 hours to slog through 1 play.

Not surprisingly, I do enjoy a good board game (next person who tells me Settlers is good loses a nut), though it's been awhile since I've partaken. Last one was probably Battlestar Galactica. I think Dwight Sullivan got one published, though. OK I take that back, I guess it's not published yet, but he did win Hippodice 2009.

#42 6 years ago

I do enjoy a good board game

Have you ever played Ticket to Ride? Check it out if you get a chance.

#43 6 years ago

next person who tells me Settlers is good loses a nut

No doubt. Carcassonne is where it's at!

2 weeks later
#44 6 years ago

So was having a crappy night of play, actually a couple bad nights, with TSPP. It has been kicking my butt for the last couple weeks, and I can’t seem to get a good game going on it.

Popped on LOTR, as it was next in line, and got soooo close today... I have been focusing on RTK MB primarily now. This means all skill shots are to the tower, anything coming down the right inlane is shot to the tower via the left orbit, and getting Ent mode early really helps.

Beat TTT on first round, and then FS and RTK on the second round, didn’t DTR on the first round. Did all the modes, all 7 gifts, only needed to start TTBA and start TTT again, and then DTR (sounds like a lot but I was close).

Then................ my “valinor cock block” of a wife comes down the stairs bitching at me to open an f’ing paint can, chirping at me that I can play anytime, and makes me screw up my second last ball. I was so mad, that the next one lasted about another 10 seconds after.

This was as close to contemplating a divorce that I have ever come...

By the way, after getting all 7 gifts, I LOVE the Super Ring Multiball Frenzy (if that is what it is called), where it’s a combination of Ring Frenzy and Ring MB.

#45 6 years ago

Not surprisingly, I do enjoy a good board game (next person who tells me Settlers is good loses a nut),

Decent or bust! Although I hear they have a newer version that's a little easier to get the noobs into it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descent:_Journeys_in_the_Dark

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Then................ my “valinor cock block” of a wife comes down the stairs bitching at me to open an f’ing paint can

Did you shoot her that look like "Why the F+@& are you talking to me right now?"

#46 6 years ago

since i can barely reach There and Back Again i have to think that Valinor is a myth. that is what i have to tell myself instead of facing the fact that i might not be as good of a pinball player as i thought. oh well, back to Revenge from Mars, even a bad player can do good on that one.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Did you shoot her that look like "Why the F+@& are you talking to me right now?"

Accompanied with a variety of obscenities.

6 months later
#48 5 years ago

I've been getting fairly close to Valinor this last week, so I really need to nail down the rules. I think I have them down well, except for the 7th GotE.

Earlier today, I beat all 3 multiballs, got to TABA, and collected 6 GotE's. (I also destroyed the ring earlier in the game, but that's almost irrelevant to the discussion).

Now that I had accomplished all the above, I gain control of the ball and consider what I need to do to get to Valinor. The six GotE inserts were all lit solid.

How do I get the 7th gift??

At this point, I had played all 3 MBs again (thank God for MB progression, that's how I've been able to beat RotK), so DTR was lit! I knew I didn't have the 7th GotE, so I didn't want to start DTR, as that means that I would have had to qualify all three MBs again, get the 7th GotE, and then DTR again!

Once DTR is lit, is there a way to start a mode without shooting the ring?

How will you know when you have obtained the 7th GotE?

LOTR-Pinball-Score3.jpg

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Once DTR is lit, is there a way to start a mode with shooting the ring?

Nope. If (I don't know...) you have to start a mode to light the 7th gift you're screwed at that point. I've been screwed out of TABA many many times because of that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Milford, CT
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 25.00
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 11.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
$ 1,000.00
$ 63.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Boards
PinSound
$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
Machine - For Sale
Spanish Fork, UT
$ 229.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballBulbs
$ 15.00
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside