(Topic ID: 245449)

How is Stern pinball a "lifestyle brand"?

By HighProtein

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheRudyB
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190911_092146 (resized).jpg
    D8914E72-1381-48BF-ABA1-6D77972A27BF.jpeg
    Lifestyle Brand (resized).PNG
    image (resized).png
    image (resized).png
    B11DA1EC-156A-4EAB-9479-91F1F24DFB0C (resized).jpeg
    lifestyles01 (resized).jpg
    C9179727-ACF0-4FDE-BADC-E394D1F60B13 (resized).png
    IMG_2005 (resized).PNG
    1C2491AD-508F-4884-911F-3194D83782F9 (resized).jpeg
    stern_jeep_barf.jpg
    2u2t7g (resized).jpg
    lifestyle brand (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Recently in an interview Gary Stern called Stern pinball a "lifestyle brand", huh? How?

#2 4 years ago

What the hell is a "lifestyle brand" anyway?

#3 4 years ago

Wrong Gary. Its only pinball.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Wrong Gary. Its only pinball.

Yeah but isn't pinball a lifestyle for a lot of pinheads out there? Oh yeah still have no idea what a lifestyle brand is.

#5 4 years ago

It's a lame term, but I think technically Gary is correct.

#6 4 years ago

They started selling T-shirt’s.
    Like a Hot Topic store from the 90s.

#7 4 years ago

Lifestyle brands: Harley Davidson, Nike, Apple. They are, like, brands that define a lifestyle for its customers.

#9 4 years ago

It’s just a new fancy term that marketing people came up with.....dramatic. Sorta like weather people coming up with terms like polar vortex or bomb cyclone.....etc

#10 4 years ago

"A lifestyle brand is a brand that attempts to embody the values, aspirations, interests, attitudes, or opinions of a group or a culture for marketing purposes. Lifestyle brands seek to inspire, guide, and motivate people, with the goal of their products contributing to the definition of the consumer's way of life."

Waiting nearly 30 months for Ghostbusters code doesn't really inspire, motivate, or align with most consumers way of life. Wife "Can you get this done?". "Sure, the task has been delayed but remains in my schedule" repeat monthly for next 2 1/2 years lol.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Lifestyle brands: Harley Davidson, Nike, Apple. They are, like, brands that define a lifestyle for its customers.

Supreme.

Put their name on a thing and it sells. Then it resells for even more. Gary saw that firsthand. Connect the dots from there (Beatles Diamond edition).

#12 4 years ago

Maybe they call it that because a significant portion of my disposable income lands in their bank account?

#13 4 years ago

Their insistence on trying to make the ridiculous “lifestyle brand” concept stick is beyond a doubt the most annoying thing about Stern.

Lack of ghostbusters code would be about 20th on the list.

#14 4 years ago

He's really pushing this idea, and I have a feeling it's coming from other senior management to try and distance themselves from the traditional enthusiast market. Problem is, there is nothing really behind it. Does making a few crappy t-shirts make you a lifestyle brand now? No idea...

#15 4 years ago

It’s just a buzz word. There’s no meaning in “lifestyle brand” unless you think that it makes their product more desirable.

#16 4 years ago

Every time I see that ridiculous "Lifestyle Brand" tag, it makes me think they are trying to target groups of swingers. For those of you who aren't informed on modern culture, swinging couples do not refer to themselves as swingers any more...they call it "the lifestyle".

#17 4 years ago

Whatever it is it doesn't come cheap.

#18 4 years ago

Pinball is hard....and not cheap either.

You can thank the guys that keep shouting out “I would pay XXX for that”......

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

It’s just a new fancy term that marketing people came up with.....dramatic. Sorta like weather people coming up with terms like polar vortex or bomb cyclone.....etc

Yup. After watching enough guests on Ridiculousness, I've learned that purely a marketing front for a brand to say "hey, like, we're all about love, and loving each other, and doing what you love to do, you know?" (millennial audience then clapping wildly)

... when in reality it's just a ploy to get young people loyal to their product and make more money because only 1% of businesses out to change the world truly mean it. The rest (*cough* Stern *cough*) are just in it for the money.

#20 4 years ago

The difference here between regular brands and successful lifestyle brands (like Red Bull) is that lifestyle brands see identity and subculture as the greater ends. They go above and beyond traditional marketing so they can embed themselves in their audience’s lives in the long run, instead of co-opting a subculture for short-term gain.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

... when in reality it's just a ploy to get young people loyal to their product and make more money because only 1% of businesses out to change the world truly mean it. The rest (*cough* Stern *cough*) are just in it for the money.

I put it closer to 100% of businesses are just in it for the money, and those that are not, do not stay in business very long. For Stern, it is all about selling games (as it should be). If they can expand that market, they should try to. All Stern is doing is trying to make a game that makes someone say "Hey, I wanna by that for my gameroom" or, "Hey, I'd like a pinball machine too". If Stern wants to label themselves as a lifestyle, sure, whatever.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

What the hell is a "lifestyle brand" anyway?

Any brand with a fan club

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I put it closer to 100% of businesses are just in it for the money

I mean, it's a very cynical view. I think there are companies out there that need profit to stay afloat but also are in it to do some good.

I just wish Stern would explain what this "lifestyle" is and what it incorporates. It's BS just to use a buzz term and not mean it or explain it.

lifestyle brand (resized).jpglifestyle brand (resized).jpg

#25 4 years ago

Hey I can post my meme again

2u2t7g (resized).jpg2u2t7g (resized).jpg
    #26 4 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Hey I can post my meme again

Coming soon to a distributor near you - the Stern Pinball Fork and Knife Set - Now With Code Updates!

#28 4 years ago

I didn't choose the pinball lifestyle the pinball lifestyle chose me.

#29 4 years ago

Makes me laugh when Stern try to push this. There are brands that can be called lifestyle brands, but Stern is definitely not one of them.

I remember a comment from Stern about how they see themselves like Harley Davidson. But they really haven’t succeeded in injecting any emotional connection into the brand. I seriously doubt it’s even possible with Pinball.

They did make a Supreme pinball machine however- that’s probably as close as they’ll get to a lifestyle brand.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Makes me laugh when Stern try to push this. There are definitely brands that can be called lifestyle brands, but Stern is definitely not one of them.
    I remember a comment from Stern about how they see themselves like Harley Davidson. But they really haven’t succeeded in injecting any emotional connection into the brand. I seriously doubt it’s even possible with Pinball.
    They did make a Supreme pinball machine however- that’s probably as close as they’ll get to a lifestyle brand.

Well, they have already started down the road of selling overpriced ugly t-shirts. Maybe they can build Stern dealerships along every major highway, just to sell overpriced t-shirts instead of pinball machines. Just like Harley...

#31 4 years ago

It was easier than we think: https://www.almostanything.com.au/marketing-strategy-branding/brand-value-statement-generator/

I got this one first try, it's super easy:

Here is your Brand Value Statement:

stern brings innovation and quality to pinball while helping customers have fun.

Don C.

#32 4 years ago

Williams is my lifestyle brand.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Well, they have already started down the road of selling overpriced ugly t-shirts. Maybe they can build Stern dealerships along every major highway, just to sell overpriced t-shirts instead of pinball machines. Just like Harley...

Didn't Harley also jack their prices to the sky then it all came crashing down when their customers aged out of the hobby while young people had zero interest in motorcycles?

"Those who do not learn from history..."

#34 4 years ago

Pinball is a lifestyle, for some it’s all about going to locations and playing all the time, most everyday of the week, playing tourneys and leagues, any and every chance to play is taken.
    For others, it is buying, collecting, fixing, trading, talking, posting, and of course arguing and complaining about all things pinball (aka. Pinside)
    I would call either a (pinball) lifestyle, and if you freaking LOVE Stern machines, as many do....Stern is your lifestyle brand.
    True, it’s an annoying term, but i see the thinking.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Didn't Harley also jack their prices to the sky then it all came crashing down when their customers aged out of the hobby while young people had zero interest in motorcycles?
    "Those who do not learn from history..."

Yup...know the story all too well. I live 15 minutes from Harley's (soon to be) only US plant. I also know a few former workers there who have paid the price for management foolishness.

#37 4 years ago

Stickers soon to be seen on the back of every pinhauler:

stern_jeep_barf.jpgstern_jeep_barf.jpg

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

Recently in an interview Gary Stern called Stern pinball a "lifestyle brand", huh? How?

Cause it provides Gary with a very nice lifestyle.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Harley Davidson: Yes, get a tattoo, drink beer & act like a tough guy on Sundays

Nike: Yes, drink smoothies, play racquetball or listen to hip hop music (We the best!)

Apple: ummm, not really...don’t we all have a laptop & cell phone?

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Harley Davidson: Yes, get a tattoo, drink beer & act like a tough guy on Sundays
    Nike: Yes, drink smoothies, play racquetball or listen to hip hop music

Paging Mr. Dayhuff......

#41 4 years ago

I think they mean people that hang around the stupid mall stores all day?

#42 4 years ago

Wear tapered jeans, glasses without lenses, drink starbucks, drive a prius, be insufferable.

#44 4 years ago

I would call that totally false. Most of the people who buy a pinball for a gameroom, do not know about pinside, do not know how many different pinball companies their are, they're just buying a pinball game for their basement.

Pinball is consider a retro thing, and many things old are new again, same for pinball. If someone goes into a high end game room store, they'll buy the games based on the theme, not the brand. A lot of people want WOZ over all other themes because its so well themed. A lot of people buy Ghostbusters because they love those movies from the 80's. They don't care about the code, they don't even know that pinball is a strategy game, they just think when the ball comes down you hit it.

Pinball is a retro item, and the mass majority of all pinball games available to buy where NOT made by Stern. Even though Stern is selling the most today, and have been for years, the most cherished games are still those not created by Stern:

AFM, MM, TZ, to even today its games like WOZ. Williams Bally hasn't made a game since I'm not even sure the 90's and they've created way more games than Stern ever has, same goes for other brands.

Reality is things change fast look at Apple they just stopped ITUNES! Blockbuster closed. Disney is essentially trying to put Netflix out of business. Amazon has closed several retail brands. Everything changes. Right now the most successful games are redemption based not pinball.

There is only so many pinball games that will be sold over the next 10 years, and I don't think any of the current pinball suppliers can say they will be the leader without any doubt in 10 years. There is a lot of innovation that can happen in pinball, and the company that embraces that could run away with loyalty. Sorry by Stern is not pushing this thing down the road, they're standing pat. We'll see if a company like Deep Root actually changes the game, even they do things can change fast. Looks like JJP will embrace standard games only, making more games than in the past, and getting into cheaper pricing. As they're figure out how to mass produce they could take it over... because Stern is getting worse with effort not better.

#45 4 years ago

Lifestyle?

When I want to actually appear "less cool" out in public, I choose pinball apparel.

Just don't be like Gibson Guitars. What a sh*tshow that turned into.

#46 4 years ago

Love pinball, but definitely don't live the "lifestyle"

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

There is a lot of innovation that can happen in pinball

Pinball is old school too much innovation and it is no longer pinball think virtual pinball

#48 4 years ago

I wonder if this "lifestyle brand" will be discussed in one of the chapters of their coffee table book....

#49 4 years ago

Gimme a break... marketing wank...ugh.

#50 4 years ago

Pinball/ arcade lifestyle and or hobby is popular.

Stern is a part of that. No doubt.

I'm listening to pantera so I would photo shop Gary stern being spanked by Antoinette from Marco. He would be wearing a shirt that says "lifestyle brand" and smiling ear to ear.

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-is-stern-pinball-a-lifestyle-brand?hl=whitenoise3000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.