(Topic ID: 58178)

How important is the type of display used in a game..to you?

By Wisconsinpinball

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How important is the type of display in a new game?”

• must be color lcd monitor of some type 0 votes
    • at minimum a dot matrix 1 vote
      8%
    • alpha numeric is ok 1 vote
      8%
    • could care less if the game is fun 11 votes
      85%

(13 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 10 years ago

A group of fellow pin players were talking this weekend and we got to discussing the various displays being used in new and upcoming machines. With JJP using the large screen, Stern rumored to be going to a smaller lcd, and some having screens in the field. Does it really matter what the game has? Would an alpha numeric display like the Williams system 11 games be just fine as long as the game play is good? We determined that to us the game play is what really mattered, and as long as it kept score we would rather see the money spent on the field. What do you think?
    Paul

#2 10 years ago

Gameplay isn't just about making certain shots; it is how those shots combine to reach certain goals. To me, the pre-DMD pins didn't have enough to do. They were still fun, but the DMD games are just a more complete experience. It isn't just the display that makes the difference though; there is just more to do on the newer games.

I think it is weird that DMDs are still used though. They just seem really expensive for what they do. I think something like the ColorDMD idea would be best. It is an LCD, so you could use it that way, but it also works as a DMD.

#3 10 years ago

I'd rather a couple of mobile phone sized LCD screen mounted on the playfield to display information

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-important-is-the-type-of-display-used-in-a-gameto-you and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.